SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Totally ***! Dispatchers let a (D) ahead of the (N) at the bridge even though another (D) just passed without an intervening (N). Now the (D) trains are bunched up and there are 2–3 (N) trains following behind that (N). The next (D) trains are 12 minutes away and coming in pairs. Freezing my ass off at 62 Street. Guess what happens at Bay 50 Street, 25 Avenue, and Bay Parkway in a few minutes? They all hold on the station for the Manhattan-bound trains to leave Coney Island!

EDIT: Those two aforementioned (D) trains are now waiting to get into the terminal. Train dispatchers should've seen this coming. Huge number of passengers waiting in the stairs for the next (D) still. They all got off the same (N) that I did.

EDIT 2: This train is like sardine can packed. It probably has the additional crowding from lateness plus the transfers from 3–4 (N) trains. The (D) that the dispatcher didn't hold at the bridge is now holding at Bay 50 Street.

Edited by CenSin

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*On 1910 (R62A), when it was on refuse duty, one of the ends were removed with number and S. Currently, with 207's maintenance, the rollsigns were reused from (probably)  Westchester's R62As as they got the newer ones. One of the old rollsigns were kept and placed on that unit. 

*Also, you may want to get (R) footage now. By Daylight savings, the R46s will be a hard sight to see till spring. 

6 minutes ago, Calvin said:

*On 1910 (R62A), when it was on refuse duty, one of the ends were removed with number and S. Currently, with 207's maintenance, the rollsigns were reused from (probably)  Westchester's R62As as they got the newer ones. One of the old rollsigns were kept and placed on that unit. 

You're saying 1910 has an old rollsign installed even after the SMS? Interesting.

9 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

You're saying 1910 has an old rollsign installed even after the SMS? Interesting.

Yes, it is. The old style font is there. Just no upgraded lights, 7 maps ripped and inside is cleaned up. 

Edited by Calvin

17 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

its now on the (S) with 1908 as a backup car

Oh? Interesting. for a while it was selected cars from 1926-1960 that ran the shuttle

I personally would have put 1901-1925 as the (S) units since we don’t have 1909 (and 1906-1907-1908-1910 would be a four car train). And we would have un-linked units for a smaller span of cars.

Edited by darkstar8983

49 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Oh? Interesting. for a while it was selected cars from 1926-1960 that ran the shuttle

I personally would have put 1901-1925 as the (S) units since we don’t have 1909 (and 1906-1907-1908-1910 would be a four car train). And we would have un-linked units for a smaller span of cars.

I thought we did have a 1909? Wasnt that one coupled to 1910 a few months ago?

1 hour ago, subway4832 said:

With most of the R62A's retrofitted with the newer interior lighting, I found one set on the 6 still with the original lighting. 2086-2090.

To my knowledge, 1943-1944+1947-1949, 2006-2010, *2097-2100, *2154-2155 (2096, 2151-53 with newer interior lighting) are the only other sets on the (6) with the original lighting as of January 2020. I rode on 2098 on February 11 and still had original lighting. Seems like there’s been a pause on converting the remaining Westchester sets.

1 hour ago, SimplyMyself said:

To my knowledge, 1943-1944+1947-1949, 2006-2010, *2097-2100, *2154-2155 (2096, 2151-53 with newer interior lighting) are the only other sets on the (6) with the original lighting as of January 2020. I rode on 2098 on February 11 and still had original lighting. Seems like there’s been a pause on converting the remaining Westchester sets.

Didn't they get to 1943-1949 with new rolls and lights? Or not yet? 

Some of the 2300 sets on the (1) still have the old rolls, nice to see...

8 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Didn't they get to 1943-1949 with new rolls and lights? Or not yet? 

Some of the 2300 sets on the (1) still have the old rolls, nice to see...

The past few days, it's sitting at 207 St Shop (1943-4:7-9). Old signs still in tact but that may not last long. 

I don’t why they do this but I was just at Queens Plaza on the (E) and we waited a extra minute for the (M) to arrive at Queens Plaza to make the connection. Then it took another 30 seconds for the (E) to finally leave. However in the process the (M) has to wait thus delaying it because the dispatcher made the (E) wait for the (M) even though the (E) should have left before the (M) even stopped. They make the same stops between Queens Plaza and 5th Ave anyways so I’m sure tons of people would not have been impacted. 

37 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t why they do this but I was just at Queens Plaza on the (E) and we waited a extra minute for the (M) to arrive at Queens Plaza to make the connection. Then it took another 30 seconds for the (E) to finally leave. However in the process the (M) has to wait thus delaying it because the dispatcher made the (E) wait for the (M) even though the (E) should have left before the (M) even stopped. They make the same stops between Queens Plaza and 5th Ave anyways so I’m sure tons of people would not have been impacted. 

Maybe the dispatcher thought the (M) was some (R)...

On 2/23/2020 at 5:59 PM, bobtehpanda said:

Damn, y'all best get on some blood pressure medication because the amount of salt in here is too damn high.

Anyways, I made a... different MTA map, and I was wondering what y'all think. (Yes, stuff like wheelchair accessibility is missing, and there are some misspelled or misplaced station names, but I'll correct it when I correct it.

YWaiHhG.png

One way to explain the lopsidedness of the subway system...

On 2/23/2020 at 5:59 PM, bobtehpanda said:

Damn, y'all best get on some blood pressure medication because the amount of salt in here is too damn high.

Anyways, I made a... different MTA map, and I was wondering what y'all think. (Yes, stuff like wheelchair accessibility is missing, and there are some misspelled or misplaced station names, but I'll correct it when I correct it.

YWaiHhG.png

Seeing this and how “far” it is to Manhattan makes me wonder why BRT/BMT didn’t make (J) a three track line with a proper express setup East of B-way Junction, and a 4 track to Marcy Av, or why (L) is two tracks.

Seems a lot of money could’ve been made if they did.

12 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Seeing this and how “far” it is to Manhattan makes me wonder why BRT/BMT didn’t make (J) a three track line with a proper express setup East of B-way Junction, and a 4 track to Marcy Av, or why (L) is two tracks.

Seems a lot of money could’ve been made if they did.

I think the (L) between Broadway Junction and Grand or Lorimer was an afterthought to the BRT/BMT back then. It was an industrial area for the most part with a few residential pockets. Factories and breweries and the workers needed transportation. The BMT Eastern setup was focused on the Downtown Brooklyn, lower Manhattan areas because of the commercial district in Brooklyn and the Financial District in Lower Manhattan. That third track towards Jamaica seems to be a no brainer to me, too. The four track idea to Marcy might have been a problem because of the cost and the width of Broadway itself. The line originally went to the ferry at the waterfront. The BRT/BMT had four lines to their main concerns. The Fulton St, the Lexington Avenue, the Myrtle Avenue, and the Fifth Avenue lines to Downtown Brooklyn and Park Row was their moneymaker. The Canarsie was only a branch of the Broadway Brooklyn Jamaica line originally. I agree with your last line but I think the BRT was probably running out of money by then. My take on the history back then. Carry on.

2 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I think the (L) between Broadway Junction and Grand or Lorimer was an afterthought to the BRT/BMT back then. It was an industrial area for the most part with a few residential pockets. Factories and breweries and the workers needed transportation. The BMT Eastern setup was focused on the Downtown Brooklyn, lower Manhattan areas because of the commercial district in Brooklyn and the Financial District in Lower Manhattan. That third track towards Jamaica seems to be a no brainer to me, too. The four track idea to Marcy might have been a problem because of the cost and the width of Broadway itself. The line originally went to the ferry at the waterfront. The BRT/BMT had four lines to their main concerns. The Fulton St, the Lexington Avenue, the Myrtle Avenue, and the Fifth Avenue lines to Downtown Brooklyn and Park Row was their moneymaker. The Canarsie was only a branch of the Broadway Brooklyn Jamaica line originally. I agree with your last line but I think the BRT was probably running out of money by then. My take on the history back then. Carry on.

Couldnt they still build an express variant of the (L) underneath the current line, similar to a Lexington Av bi-level setup?

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Couldnt they still build an express variant of the (L) underneath the current line, similar to a Lexington Av bi-level setup?

Don’t know about the geography, but with tunnel boring machines and few station stops, this could be done with minimal disruption to the surface. Going north,

• Send two ramps down to the Bay Ridge Branch right-of-way north of the New Lots Avenue station.
  • Build a station stop at Livonia Avenue.
  • Build a station connecting to the LIRR and the (L) at Atlantic Avenue.
  • Build a station connecting to Broadway Junction.
  • Send two ramps into a deep-bore tunnel at Irving Avenue, following the (L) tunnel under Wyckoff Avenue all the way to the Myrtle Avenue station where a transfer to the (M) will be built.
  • Continue under the (L) tunnel to Flushing Avenue and then bore diagonally under the street grid to Union and Metropolitan Avenues for where a transfer to the (G) will. be built.
  • Under the Brooklyn–Queens Expressway, the tunnel will rise up to reconnect with the (L), merging back into 2 tracks. The lower level will have stub ends for possible capacity expansion across the East River.

The only boring will be done between Cooper and Wyckoff Avenues and the Brooklyn–Queens Expressway. That will be all deep-bore with 2 intervening stations built below the existing ones. All other other stations will be built on existing right-of-ways repurposed for the express service. Station stops:

• Canarsie–Rockaway Parkway
  • East 105 Street
  • New Lots Avenue
  • Livonia Avenue
  • Atlantic Avenue
  • Broadway Junction
  • Myrtle–Wyckoff Avenues
  • Lorimer Street
  • Bedford Avenue
  • 1 Avenue
  • 3 Avenue
  • 14 Street–Union Square
  • 6 Avenue
  • 8 Avenue

14 stops in total, 10 stations skipped—4 of those along the serpentine portion of the local route

Edited by CenSin

47 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Don’t know about the geography, but with tunnel boring machines and few station stops, this could be done with minimal disruption to the surface. Going north,

• Send two ramps down to the Bay Ridge Branch right-of-way north of the New Lots Avenue station.
  • Build a station stop at Livonia Avenue.
  • Build a station connecting to the LIRR and the (L) at Atlantic Avenue.
  • Build a station connecting to Broadway Junction.
  • Send two ramps into a deep-bore tunnel at Irving Avenue, following the (L) tunnel under Wyckoff Avenue all the way to the Myrtle Avenue station where a transfer to the (M) will be built.
  • Continue under the (L) tunnel to Flushing Avenue and then bore diagonally under the street grid to Union and Metropolitan Avenues for where a transfer to the (G) will. be built.
  • Under the Brooklyn–Queens Expressway, the tunnel will rise up to reconnect with the (L), merging back into 2 tracks. The lower level will have stub ends for possible capacity expansion across the East River.

The only boring will be done between Cooper and Wyckoff Avenues and the Brooklyn–Queens Expressway. That will be all deep-bore with 2 intervening stations built below the existing ones. All other other stations will be built on existing right-of-ways repurposed for the express service. Station stops:

• Canarsie–Rockaway Parkway
  • East 105 Street
  • New Lots Avenue
  • Livonia Avenue
  • Atlantic Avenue
  • Broadway Junction
  • Myrtle–Wyckoff Avenues
  • Lorimer Street
  • Bedford Avenue
  • 1 Avenue
  • 3 Avenue
  • 14 Street–Union Square
  • 6 Avenue
  • 8 Avenue

14 stops in total, 10 stations skipped—4 of those along the serpentine portion of the local route

NVM. 

But your right, it can be done.

Edited by Lawrence St