SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Architecture/engineering-wise, would it be feasible to a) double track the Brooklyn (S) ? b) extend platforms to a full 10 car length?

2) Would such an undertaking, if possible, be worth it a) in terms of (S) ridership? b) in terms of flexibility for (Q) routing for G.O.s and delays/incidents?

59 minutes ago, YungMarxian said:

1) Architecture/engineering-wise, would it be feasible to a) double track the Brooklyn (S) ? b) extend platforms to a full 10 car length?

2) Would such an undertaking, if possible, be worth it a) in terms of (S) ridership? b) in terms of flexibility for (Q) routing for G.O.s and delays/incidents?

No, the ROW has no room, and the only station that could be extended is Botanic Garden.

a) maybe, but it works with 2 cars.

b) only NB (Q)s could use it, then they would be stuck at Franklin Av, because the track to the SB platform can't handle 10-car trains.

2 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

No, the ROW has no room, and the only station that could be extended is Botanic Garden.

b) only NB (Q)s could use it, then they would be stuck at Franklin Av, because the track to the SB platform can't handle 10-car trains.

I should mention that it once was.

1 hour ago, Jova42R said:

51 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

Yes, but after the Malbone Street Wreck, the (MTA) said no trains, correct?

Not true- the right of way does have room for a second track.  After all, it was built as two tracks originally.  Theoretically, all stations could be extended to some new length; the larger hurdle to overcome would be the modifications done to the line after the 1998 rebuild.

The southbound track/portal/platform have been regularly used for non-revenue moves, and could still be theoretically used for passenger moves- not sure where you got the information about a Malbone Street "ban".

2 hours ago, YungMarxian said:

Possible, maybe feasible, but probably not worth it unless Franklin Avenue was tied into a new route at the north end; perhaps Crosstown, South 4th Street, to the express tail tracks at 2nd Avenue-Houston Street station... but I wouldn't count on the MTA to build something like that, at least not in this century.

10 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

The southbound track/portal/platform have been regularly used for non-revenue moves, and could still be theoretically used for passenger moves- not sure where you got the information about a Malbone Street "ban".

It’s only that way because trains that terminate on the southbound local track do not have any means to get back to the northbound local track except by wrong-railing past the Botanic Garden station or taking any of the switches south of Prospect Park and wrong-railing back up to the northbound local track.

2 hours ago, YungMarxian said:

Well they just rebuilt it to get rid of the 10-car platforms and second track so...

That was what, in 2000?

On a completely different subject I wonder how many people have read the article about subway performance in the Daily News ? I've been posting about the bogus running time on the (5) line for years. For years I would leave Dyre Avenue at 3PM and was scheduled to arrive at Bowling Green at 3:55 PM daily. Old SMEE,  Redbirds,  R142 whatever. It didn't matter. New signal system in the Bronx?  No problem. ATS system turned off at Grand Concourse?  Easy sailing down the Lexington corridor. ATS turned on ? Big problemo. Now I'm arriving 8 minutes late at Bowling Green. Let's blame the train crew,  right?  Guess what?  No evidence of improper operation with or without supervision riding with us. Still we were not allowed to blame the ATS system for our lateness even though every local supervisor down the line knew the cause. I was told by an active RTO supervisor to look at the Trip Planner. Lo and behold there was an additional 8 minutes added to the running time. No more late train,  right ?  This is why I have a problem with those who spout numbers and metrics when I and many others know the whole story.The folks who still ride that interval know the truth, too. Just something to ponder.  Carry on. 

On 3/7/2020 at 7:50 AM, CenSin said:

Interesting usage of the verb “assist” there.

Yes… next time I run into trouble with someone imma “assist” their ass.

I wouldn't put it past some police officers & EMS' to "assist" the disruptive passenger further accomplish his/her disruptive action{s}!

1 hour ago, Q43LTD said:

8 Av is closed next weekend. (A) via 6 Av, (C) suspended, (E) via Broadway and (M) via 6 Av Central Park local to 168

And yet again I ask, why not just run (B)s on the weekend to 168, and keep the 2 Av (M) pattern? Also, are they doing shuttle buses?

51 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

And yet again I ask, why not just run (B)s on the weekend to 168, and keep the 2 Av (M) pattern? Also, are they doing shuttle buses?

Maybe it would cost more to run the (B) on weekends than extending the (M) to 168. Unfortunately, there aren't shuttle buses. 

(A) 207-Far Rockaway/Lefferts Blvd via 6 Av/Fulton local

(E) Jamaica Center-Whitehall St via Broadway-59 St

(M) Metropolitan Av-168 St via 6 Av/CPW local

1 hour ago, Q43LTD said:

Maybe it would cost more to run the (B) on weekends than extending the (M) to 168. Unfortunately, there aren't shuttle buses. 

(A) 207-Far Rockaway/Lefferts Blvd via 6 Av/Fulton local

(E) Jamaica Center-Whitehall St via Broadway-59 St

(M) Metropolitan Av-168 St via 6 Av/CPW local

There are shuttle buses, only for the (E) between Queens Plaza and Court Sq. But it is only one stop and I think that is useless.

3 hours ago, Jova42R said:

They already have the crews working (M) runs, so simply rerouting those trains to 168 is the least disruptive option since this is a weekend where the (Q) is running in Manhattan and can cover SAS.

2 hours ago, Jova42R said:

Are there any R32s on the (C) today? @VIP @paulbyron @R32 3838 You all seem to know usually!

there are still some sets on the (C). one of my friends caught one with 3933 in the consist at Jay St. 

additionally there were about three out on the (C) yesterday. and i saw one out on the (A) today heading uptown. 

Edited by Coney Island Av

surprised no one here has posted about this recent bs (despite it surfacing on FB recently). some teenage foamers broke into the back cab of an R188, opened the back door and blew the horn. now that the police are after them, they are truly f**ked.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/08/teens-break-into-subway-conductor-booth-aboard-moving-train/

original twitter post:

Edited by Coney Island Av