SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Interesting concept, if there was a semi shutdown of the subway, would they let the (L) and (7) run driverless?

With as many track breaks and falling debris situations the NY Subway has, that’d be almost as stupid as disbanding the pandemic response teams and claiming that an illness outbreak is a hoax.

No Nooyawker would be that stupid. (Right?)

7 hours ago, CTK246 said:

That's a huge safety issue, so no.

Less than being a huge safety issue – it's not – it's a huge union issue. TWU would stage a coup. Driverless tech has been functional in the subway since the 1950s, albeit on simpler lines. It's the notion of eliminating T/O and C/R jobs that's the problem.

New record for poor performance: at Newkirk Plaza going southbound on the (Q), there is another (Q) right on our tails and a (B) is pulling up right next us (5:38 PM).

T/O freaks out at every yellow signal, takes forever to come to a stop, and the conductor is dragging out the announcements. Went from 8~9 minutes since the last train at 96 Street to 17~18 minutes by Beverley Road.

This variability in performance is why AI needs to “take the wheel.”

Edited by CenSin

58 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Ridership was lower on every subway line I rode today... except for the (4) to Woodlawn which I wanted to fan cause I thought ridership would be lighter but it was still crowded so I gave up and did something else. 

But some people really want to have that <4>...

9 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Less than being a huge safety issue – it's not – it's a huge union issue. TWU would stage a coup. Driverless tech has been functional in the subway since the 1950s, albeit on simpler lines. It's the notion of eliminating T/O and C/R jobs that's the problem.

I will give you the TWU argument but that is not the only reason IMO. We have OPTO at times for parts of the system. No C/R on board. Equipment manufacturers have theoretically had the option to eliminate the T/O for some fifty years or so. The two drawbacks were attributed to safety back then by the TWU (of course), and by the riding public. We had a two person crew and Transit Police officers on every late night train. That level of policing decreased over time. Remove the C/R from the trains might save money. Remove the T/O saves even more money. Next time we experience a blackout and folks are trapped on a train stuck between stations or in a river tube good luck evacuating people to safety with no crew onboard . I can guarantee you that the (MTA) and the State of New York won’t take the hit for being self-insured. The riders will. I don’t know how many posters are aware of the procedure for air travel. Crew takes off and reaches altitude. Suppose the pilot and copilot opened the cabin door and took seats with the passengers for an hour or so before they went back to the cockpit to land the plane. This is what the ultimate driverless train trip would be without a train crew. I don’t think that would go over too well with the riding public in the NYC metro area. Times are changing and I could be wrong but that’s my take. YMMV. Carry on.

3 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I was looking around for older posts on OMNY/NFPS and I just want to give a shoutout to @Union Tpke for 110% getting this correct years ago:

I have heard multiple transit employees confirm this. Jamaica will be 100% R160s.

Technically you mean that transit workers got this "110%" correct, as @Union Tpke served as a messenger there.

12 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I will give you the TWU argument but that is not the only reason IMO. We have OPTO at times for parts of the system. No C/R on board. Equipment manufacturers have theoretically had the option to eliminate the T/O for some fifty years or so. The two drawbacks were attributed to safety back then by the TWU (of course), and by the riding public. We had a two person crew and Transit Police officers on every late night train. That level of policing decreased over time. Remove the C/R from the trains might save money. Remove the T/O saves even more money. Next time we experience a blackout and folks are trapped on a train stuck between stations or in a river tube good luck evacuating people to safety with no crew onboard . I can guarantee you that the (MTA) and the State of New York won’t take the hit for being self-insured. The riders will. I don’t know how many posters are aware of the procedure for air travel. Crew takes off and reaches altitude. Suppose the pilot and copilot opened the cabin door and took seats with the passengers for an hour or so before they went back to the cockpit to land the plane. This is what the ultimate driverless train trip would be without a train crew. I don’t think that would go over too well with the riding public in the NYC metro area. Times are changing and I could be wrong but that’s my take. YMMV. Carry on.

I'm not sure of the advisability of ZPTO without PSDs and the like, but these arguments about blackouts and safety rel. OPTO are relevant to every transit system in the world, yet we're the outlier in still having two person crews. As you point out, this is political and thus not totally responsive to the technical (de)merits of a given configuration, but I think that's a disconnect worth recognizing. 

I thought this tweet was funny since this forum loves talking about Cuomo lol

jack rem x (@jackremmington) Tweeted:
I’m screaming that these brothers are literally having an argument on live telly about who’s their mum’s favourite son,amongst an international pandemic I- https://t.co/yn97oldq7a https://twitter.com/jackremmington/status/1239844473376518144?s=20

Edited by trainfan22

23 hours ago, RR503 said:

I'm not sure of the advisability of ZPTO without PSDs and the like, but these arguments about blackouts and safety rel. OPTO are relevant to every transit system in the world, yet we're the outlier in still having two person crews. As you point out, this is political and thus not totally responsive to the technical (de)merits of a given configuration, but I think that's a disconnect worth recognizing. 

One more point against ZPTO in NYC is that newer systems that are ZPTO generally have emergency walkways, at door level, alongside the track that are well lit and signed, or use overhead wire and evacuate directly into the trackbed. Neither of these things is true around the whole system.

1 minute ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Do not spread any rumors. If you seen the news already Cuomo is in charge of ordering a shutdown and expressed there will not be a lockdown and especially not a subway shutdown.

Too much money on the line to shut down the subway. He has a reputation to protect. On the other hand, if his bet is wrong, not putting a damper on b economic activity might spread the virus more. That would also look bad.

8 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

One more point against ZPTO in NYC is that newer systems that are ZPTO generally have emergency walkways, at door level, alongside the track that are well lit and signed, or use overhead wire and evacuate directly into the trackbed. Neither of these things is true around the whole system.

Most people don't know the conditions underground or flippantly figure that they can handle them. The benchwalls are pretty much unsafe for employees,  much less the general public. I'm familiar with the conditions in the IRT but it's probably not unique to the A division.  I have actually walked the entire s/b Joralemon tube from Borough Hall down to Bowling Green in my early years while working work trains. Those walls were crumbling back then and, except for some security work after 9/11, I don't recall any major work done until Sandy. Now imagine how much of the system is crumbling besides the river tubes. I can still self-evacuate depending on location but I doubt that a ZPTO situation can be handled safely before the ridership decides to do the same absent someone in charge.  Just my opinion.  Carry on. 

23 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

....I hope none of you took my prior warnings too lightly that the city is experiencing a manufactured crisis.

Yeah, what else is new... Same shit, different year - except this time, I have no toilet paper to "wipe" my a$$ with.....

Edited by B35 via Church

22 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

Pretty soon public transit is gonna be shut down in the city. I hope none of you took my prior warnings too lightly that the city is experiencing a manufactured crisis.

https://www.nyctransitforums.com/profile/15602-masstransithonchkrow/?status=30470&type=status

Where are you getting your information from? The MTA is not shutting down... They even confirmed it on Twitter and said not to believe any of those false rumors. Smh... 🤦