SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

I think either @Trainmaster5 or another employee explained a while ago why trains are generally not cut in half anymore. I think it was due to added labor time and cost to do that. 

Currently the late night Euclid - Lefferts (A) shuttle is the only half length operation. The weekend (M) was too when it only ran to Myrtle or Essex in the past. 

I wonder if they truly would consider some form of shortened train lengths though in the current situation

They stopped turning 10s into 8s or 6s for that reason. Splitting a train in half isn't nearly as annoying an operation as doing some uneven cut, as you end up with some stump when you're done. Lefferts (A), Dyre (5), Myrtle (M) do this every night. Shortened trainsets would free up CRs and reduce ABDs related to CR availability, but you wouldn't save that much $$$. Remember, a work program is a work program -- whether you run what's in it or not, those called on a given day still have to show up. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Mhmm.

It's also worth noting that healthcare workers do use public transit to get around, so shutting it down would probably make essential workplaces (hospital, fire, police, etc.) function even worse than they are given the situation at hand.

I'll confirm that. I'm a health care worker. We will shut down without a doubt if public transportation goes. People don't really drive here and can't keep 6 feet apart inside a shared personal vehicle, so that's not going to be an alternative.

16 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Not even worth this back and forth. We already have restrictions in place and is beyond obvious and everyone on the forum knows the MTA is in a situation worse than a budget crunch.  Nothing else to discuss. Time to clock out.

This makes me question tho: anyone think we're gonna have at least a form of holiday schedule for subways in effect? Iirc SEPTA started to do this recently and the MNRR Hudson Line was put in weekend service until further notice.

I agree. I feel like Cassandra right about now. I'm done.

10 minutes ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

Heard something somewhere about weekend service being operated on the subway system at all times due to you-know-what. Not sure if they are or aren't, haven't bothered to check. They should probably just operate late night service

Voldemort is back?

23 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

This makes me question tho: anyone think we're gonna have at least a form of holiday schedule for subways in effect? Iirc SEPTA started to do this recently and the MNRR Hudson Line was put in weekend service until further notice.

SEPTA is a different animal because the Regional Rail schedule is partially influenced by the Center City District (CCD), the business improvement district in the central area of Philadelphia.

In the event of holidays (like the week after Christmas or the last weekday before Memorial Day for example) or severe weather, there are already protocols in place to close offices and businesses in the CCD and/or work from home and SEPTA as part of this already has a "CCD closed" schedule that they can run (think of it like a "school closed" schedule for the buses here). They simply decided to use this schedule for public heath emergencies in addition to the severe weather and holidays it was originally intended for.

https://new.mta.info/precautions-against-coronavirus

Service changes for tomorrow:

(4) : Trains will stop at 138th Street all day.

(5) : All service will terminate at Bowling Green. There will be no <5> service and no service to Nereid Avenue.

<6> : Suspended

(A) : Rockaway Park service will not run.

(B)(W)(Z) : Suspended.

<D> : Trains will operate local.

(E) : Trains from 179th Street will not run.

<F> : Suspended.

(J) : Service will run local all day.

(N) : Service will run local in Manhattan.

SIR : Service will operate every 20 minutes during the rush hour, making all local stops

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

On 3/21/2020 at 8:59 PM, 4 via Mosholu said:

That may have been corrected immediately @Lawrence St.

Speaking of which, I thought it was best to issue a trivia quiz of my own design. It also includes a few trivia questions on bus routes as well as transit history, but most of it centers around the subway. There were a few questions I had to change around, but I hope you guys have fun with this.

Here's the link: https://forms.gle/m8T4ciyFuc8bBgqA6

I got a 108/160, and thats a 68!!!! I passed lol

13 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

https://new.mta.info/precautions-against-coronavirus

Service changes for tomorrow:

(4) : Trains will stop at 138th Street all day.

(5) : All service will terminate at Bowling Green. There will be no <5> service and no service to Nereid Avenue.

<6> : Suspended

(A) : Rockaway Park service will not run.

(B)(W)(Z) : Suspended.

<D> : Trains will operate local.

(E) : Trains from 179th Street will not run.

<F> : Suspended.

(J) : Service will run local all day.

(N) : Service will run local in Manhattan.

SIR : Service will operate every 20 minutes during the rush hour, making all local stops

Updates from today:

A and C Trains, Some Delays
You may experience longer waits for (A) and (C)  service today. We are running as many trains as possible with the crews we have available. Some A trains will run local to provide more consistent service at local stations. 

3/24/20 7:47 AM
NYC

QNS, 7 Train, 7 Express Service Suspended
<7> express service is suspended. Use 7 local trains instead. 

3/24/20 8:00 AM
NYC

QNS, 7 Train, Planned Work Ended Early
Midday planned work on the 7 line has ended early today.

34 St-bound (7)  trains have resumed making local stops from 74 St-Broadway to Queensboro Plaza. 

3/24/20 11:35 AM
NYC

“Expect longer waits for 2 trains in both directions. Take a 1 or 3 train, if you can.  

We are running as many trains as reliably as we can with the crews we have available.”

The 12:50pm (2) train departure from 241 st, is cancelled due to engineer availability. Please take the 12:58pm departure from 241, making an additional stop at North Elizabeth.

52 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

“Expect longer waits for 2 trains in both directions. Take a 1 or 3 train, if you can.  

We are running as many trains as reliably as we can with the crews we have available.”

The 12:50pm (2) train departure from 241 st, is cancelled due to engineer availability. Please take the 12:58pm departure from 241, making an additional stop at North Elizabeth.

What?

55 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

What?

Some Delays
Expect longer waits for 2 trains in both directions. Take a 1 or 3 train, if you can.

We are running as many trains as reliably as we can with the crews we have
Posted: 3/24/20 1:58 PM

The second part was a joke, making fun of NJT's engineer shortage crisis.

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

Some Delays
Expect longer waits for 2 trains in both directions. Take a 1 or 3 train, if you can.

We are running as many trains as reliably as we can with the crews we have
Posted: 3/24/20 1:58 PM

The second part was a joke, making fun of NJT's engineer shortage crisis.

Ohhhh.

Starting tomorrow, Wednesday, March 25, we plan to operate the MTA Essential Schedule, which preserves our AM and PM rush hours to get first responders and essential personnel where they need to go.

Here are the details:

Some lines and express routes will not operate during weekdays, but we're focused on maximizing capacity during rush hours and ensuring our crews' safety. 

While ridership has dropped by ~85%, we're preserving 75% of our typical weekday capacity.

You may wait a few extra minutes on the platform, but every station will still be served. Some express services and branches on some lines will operate only local service. 

For full details, see http://new.mta.info/coronavirus. Here’s a summary:
The B, W, and Z lines will not run. 

In the Bronx, D trains are making all local stops. On Central Park West, take a C train. 

In Manhattan, N trains are making all local stops. For service to Astoria, take an N train. 

In Brooklyn, J trains are making all local stops.

We’ll continue to analyze service levels on a line-by-line, hour-by-hour basis to ensure this service plan gets essential employees to work while allowing for a safe social distance.

Since there are unpredictable variables at play, our real-time arrival data and trip planning tools may not be always be accurate.

Check http://MTA.info and the MYmta app, or @ or DM us here, before you go. Subscribe to email or text alerts at http://mymtaalerts.com.