SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

With CBTC, can (L) and (7) trains run with only the T/O or only the conductor if needed? 

Conductors, no. As far as OPTO t/o aren't trained and sight lines in certain stations are questionable as it pertains to safely operating the doors 

29 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

Conductors, no. As far as OPTO t/o aren't trained and sight lines in certain stations are questionable as it pertains to safely operating the doors 

Basically just play the stand clear of the closing doors announcement and close the doors. That's basically what all automated systems do. The doors will recycle until all doors are closed. 

6 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Basically just play the stand clear of the closing doors announcement and close the doors. That's basically what all automated systems do. The doors will recycle until all doors are closed. 

Or put cameras on the exteriors of the cars that show the operator what’s happening near the door.

Although I’d imagine this would extend dwell time since the operator would have to move from one side to the other if the platform isn’t on the driver-side.

11 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Ow my arm, the mean Conductor closed the door on me. It hurts. And even with local recycle a drag is still possible so there'd have to be some mitigation before that could be implemented 

7 hours ago, Deucey said:

Or put cameras on the exteriors of the cars that show the operator what’s happening near the door.

Although I’d imagine this would extend dwell time since the operator would have to move from one side to the other if the platform isn’t on the driver-side.

This is what London does. The cameras feed live video to the dashboard which the operator at his/her seat watches in real time.

IIRC the London Underground uses cameras mounted at stations and leaky feeder to transmit it to the train (the SEPTA Market-Frankford Line also uses this method) and the London Overground use cameras mounted on the train itself.

As I understand it, the under construction Crossrail uses both methods, with mounted camera outside (where there are no platform screen doors) and the station mounted leaky feeder in the underground central core.

(5) trains will make all local stops in the Bronx and Brooklyn, and run on the 2 line in Manhattan-between 149 St-Grand Concourse and Nevins St, while we operate with fewer train crews.
Posted: 3/26/20 7:02 AM

(5) trains will make all local stops in the Bronx and Brooklyn, and run on the 2 line in Manhattan-between 149 St-Grand Concourse and Nevins St, while we operate with fewer train crews. 

(4) trains will run at regular weekday frequencies to provide as much express service along Lexington Avenue as possible.
Posted: 3/26/20 7:07 AM

Some Delays
You may experience longer waits for J and M service today. We are running as many trains as possible with the crews we have available.
Posted: 3/26/20 9:03 AM

Some Delays
You may experience longer waits for L service today. We are running as many trains as possible with the crews we have available.
Posted: 3/26/20 7:42 AM

You may experience longer waits for A and C service today. We are running as many trains as possible with the crews we have available.

Some A trains will run local to provide more consistent service at local stations. 
Posted: 3/26/20 7:03 AM

Edited by Union Tpke

6 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

(5) trains will make all local stops in the Bronx and Brooklyn, and run on the 2 line in Manhattan-between 149 St-Grand Concourse and Nevins St, while we operate with fewer train crews.
Posted: 3/26/20 7:02 AM

(5) trains will make all local stops in the Bronx and Brooklyn, and run on the 2 line in Manhattan-between 149 St-Grand Concourse and Nevins St, while we operate with fewer train crews.

Wouldn’t those just be (2) trains…?

8 hours ago, CenSin said:

Wouldn’t those just be (2) trains…?

They probably just call them (5) trains because it's the same 2 terminals, just along a different route. (2) trains don't usually run to Dyre Av. Probably Operational stuff also, but they do stuff like this a lot. Probably why they have the same strip maps now.

14 hours ago, Theli11 said:

They probably just call them (5) trains because it's the same 2 terminals, just along a different route. (2) trains don't usually run to Dyre Av.

They had no problem doing a (2)(5) northern terminal swap for a GO. That can't be the reason.

14 hours ago, Theli11 said:

Probably Operational stuff also, but they do stuff like this a lot. Probably why they have the same strip maps now.

Passengers don't know anything about operational peculiarities nor care. It's like those manual announcements the conductors where the conductor references the IND or BMT. It's all totally lost on the average straphanger.

Wouldn't hurt to just have the nomenclature make sense.

Edited by CenSin

Moving in another direction for a sec. Looking at the service status on the (MTA) website last night and this afternoon and I realized that something was missing. Where is the status of the Franklin Shuttle displayed ? I see it under the (Q) stop at Prospect Park but nowhere else. Is this something new ? Carry on.

5 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Moving in another direction for a sec. Looking at the service status on the (MTA) website last night and this afternoon and I realized that something was missing. Where is the status of the Franklin Shuttle displayed ? I see it under the (Q) stop at Prospect Park but nowhere else. Is this something new ? Carry on.

I don't understand it, either. Chances are, someone made a mistake somewhere and failed to notice.

5 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Before the creation of the new site, all the info for all the shuttles used to be listed under the (S) bullet..... When they came out with the new site, they had separate bullets for each shuttle, but at some point, I stopped seeing the SF bullet.... Don't know what's going on, but that's something that the MTA shouldn't be overlooking.

Do you think that 34th St-Herald Square should get a renovation once more?

I was thinking the (MTA) do an ESI-style reno, with glass barriers and LEDS. 

Even though the complex was rehabbed in the 90s, some parts of the stations still feel dim (the IND escalators to mezzanine especially).

56 minutes ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

Do you think that 34th St-Herald Square should get a renovation once more?

I was thinking the (MTA) do an ESI-style reno, with glass barriers and LEDS. 

Even though the complex was rehabbed in the 90s, some parts of the stations still feel dim (the IND escalators to mezzanine especially).

If only because of all the rats that congregate on the south side of the uptown platform.

But they could just use brighter lights in the complex and it’ll look less crap.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

If only because of all the rats that congregate on the south side of the uptown platform.

But they could just use brighter lights in the complex and it’ll look less crap.

Not only that but remove the nasty fake ceiling in the IND plats, cause it feels cramped in that area.

There was also a I-beam that passes through the fake ceiling on the uptown IND platform and had significant water damage (im talking brown streaks covering the paint with mold or rust).

3 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

Are the (1) trains headed to New Lots , just turned (3) trains that headed up to City College ?

subwaytime and the mta website show a couple (1)s to new lots 

It looks like some (1) trains are going to New Lots, probably to help the gap between (3) trains since there are longer waits.