SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

For the rest of this week, (1) trains will be running via the (2) to/from Atlantic Avenue during overnight hours. The (1) will also be the lone 7th Avenue service, because the (2) will be running via Lexington Ave, and the (3) will not be running. There will be no train service at WTC-Cortlandt, Rector Street, and South Ferry.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, subway4832 said:

Silly question, perhaps some employee can answer this, but Ive always wondered why they nicknamed the :15x15_px_02: "the beast". 

I'm not an employee, but based on the length, number of stops, and ridership (both the people who ride and the number of people who ride -- especially outside of Brooklyn), I think I have an idea.

Silly question, perhaps some employee can answer this, but Ive always wondered why they nicknamed the :15x15_px_02: "the beast". 

The (2) , aka " the Beast" originally ran from 241st St White Plains Road to New Lots Avenue in Brooklyn. Local stops in the Bronx and Brooklyn. The present day " Beast " also makes local stops in Manhattan overnight on the way to Flatbush-Brooklyn College. It's counterpart is the overnight (A) from 207th Street Manhattan making all local stops to Far Rockaway. Either one is a guaranteed workhorse,  mainly for people with little seniority or gluttons for punishment,  IMO. My opinion.  Carry on. 

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

The (2) , aka " the Beast" originally ran from 241st St White Plains Road to New Lots Avenue in Brooklyn. Local stops in the Bronx and Brooklyn. The present day " Beast " also makes local stops in Manhattan overnight on the way to Flatbush-Brooklyn College. It's counterpart is the overnight (A) from 207th Street Manhattan making all local stops to Far Rockaway. Either one is a guaranteed workhorse,  mainly for people with little seniority or gluttons for punishment,  IMO. My opinion.  Carry on. 

2 hours ago, Lex said:

I'm not an employee, but based on the length, number of stops, and ridership (both the people who ride and the number of people who ride -- especially outside of Brooklyn), I think I have an idea.

Ahh gotcha, in that case the name definitely seems fitting then lol, thanks guys!

Edited by subway4832

Ahh gotcha, in that case the name definitely seems fitting then lol, thanks guys!

I think (2) local overnight is as bad or worse than (A) local overnight from 207 St to JFK. (I did that years ago when I lived in California - my father’s insistence bc he never trusted the (E) train. It hit EVERY red signal.)

22 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

The other horrible one is the (6), especially during GOs or rush hours. A 2 hour round trip without leaving the cab PEL-BBR-PEL + adjacent track flagging or rush hour delays can really do a number on you. And if you're late, and your layover gets cut at Pelham...

Edited by RR503

45 minutes ago, RR503 said:

The other horrible one is the (6), especially during GOs or rush hours. A 2 hour round trip without leaving the cab PEL-BBR-PEL + adjacent track flagging or rush hour delays can really do a number on you. And if you're late, and your layover gets cut at Pelham...

The (1) from VC around the old ferry station and back to VC was no bargain either 😁. I did that once in ‘86 for a celebration ( Statue of Liberty???) and I never went back.

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

As a passenger, I notice that on the (6) you either have an extremely skilled operator and a very smooth ride or an operator that's not up to par and a very rough ride and there's little to no in-between. Can't wait for Lex CBTC and some operational consistency especially in the peak of the peak where one slow train can throw all the rest behind it out of whack.

Been wondering for years; were yard put-ins during rush hours set up to be regularly scheduled for certain departures? I used to take the (A) out of 207th weekday mornings in the mid-to-late 2000s, and the 07:22 departure was always a train of R38s that came in from the yard leads; the trains departing directly before and after that were always R44s coming in from the road (not the yard).  It's like they had everything timed and planned down to the smallest detail.

12 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Been wondering for years; were yard put-ins during rush hours set up to be regularly scheduled for certain departures? I used to take the (A) out of 207th weekday mornings in the mid-to-late 2000s, and the 07:22 departure was always a train of R38s that came in from the yard leads; the trains departing directly before and after that were always R44s coming in from the road (not the yard).  It's like they had everything timed and planned down to the smallest detail.

Yes, internal schedules schedule put ins, layups etc. They are not random operations. 

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

As a passenger, I notice that on the (6) you either have an extremely skilled operator and a very smooth ride or an operator that's not up to par and a very rough ride and there's little to no in-between. Can't wait for Lex CBTC and some operational consistency especially in the peak of the peak where one slow train can throw all the rest behind it out of whack.

This. A bunch of new operators on a line with tons of gnarly GTs and poorly signed (if signed at all) STs is really not a recipe for consistent runtimes and service delivery. I do not mean to belittle the work those crews do, of course. It’s just they could benefit from better infrastructure, better training and a more nurturing supervisory environment.

Edited by RR503

I've read that there are harsh consequences for tripping a timer, up to and including termination.  I don't get the impression there are consequences for running frequently behind schedule.  If that is the case, for as long as it is, it will be hard to keep trains on schedule.  I totally agree that the crews (and by extension customers) would benefit from better infrastructure, better training, and a more nurturing supervisory environment.  

1 hour ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

How many garbage train runs are there and what times do they usually run?

I know there's one out of 36-38 St that runs down West End (usually 4 R32s + 4 garbage cars) at about 10:30 PM.

And speaking of those R32s, they had some WEIRD rollsigns, such as the <5>(JFK):SS:(W), and more! Are you trying to railfan the train?

10 hours ago, Collin said:

I've read that there are harsh consequences for tripping a timer, up to and including termination.  I don't get the impression there are consequences for running frequently behind schedule.  If that is the case, for as long as it is, it will be hard to keep trains on schedule.  I totally agree that the crews (and by extension customers) would benefit from better infrastructure, better training, and a more nurturing supervisory environment.  

Well I hit a timer my first day working the (1) line (which also happens to be the most overrun signal on that line) and I'm still working here. Since I was still on probation it was treated as a learning experience, along with a "now don't do it again!" warning.

There are 100 different reasons for being late. Pick one and you're fine.

5 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

I know there's one out of 36-38 St that runs down West End (usually 4 R32s + 4 garbage cars) at about 10:30 PM.

And speaking of those R32s, they had some WEIRD rollsigns, such as the <5>(JFK):SS:(W), and more! Are you trying to railfan the train?

Yes. Ive seen about 5 trains already (same route, its the QBL train) 

I once stumbled upon a REDBIRD garbage train substituting for a R32 train. Heres the consist:

South: 9319-19336-3 flats-EP014-EP010 North

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-man-found-dead-queens-subway-train-20200402-fr7dvwfzkrh3tdq5bjrr2x5rdu-story.html

Cops investigate mysterious death of straphanger on Queens subway train

By THOMAS TRACY | NEW YORK DAILY NEWS | APR 02, 2020 | 11:55 AM

Cops are investigating the death of a 62-year-old man found sprawled on the floor of a subway car at the train’s last stop in Queens Thursday, officials said.

Cops were called to the Astoria-Ditmars Blvd. N train station in Astoria about 4:30 a.m. after the victim was discovered dead on the floor of a train car.

is name was not immediately released as investigators try to track down family members.

5 hours ago, Snowblock said:

Well I hit a timer my first day working the (1) line (which also happens to be the most overrun signal on that line) and I'm still working here. Since I was still on probation it was treated as a learning experience, along with a "now don't do it again!" warning.

There are 100 different reasons for being late. Pick one and you're fine.

What timer if I may ask?

7 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

How many garbage train runs are there and what times do they usually run?

Don't know how many trains of the sort there are, but I've done a lot of late night fanning & what I can tell you is, most of them I usually saw around 3-4am.....

6 hours ago, Jova42R said:

Are you trying to railfan the train?

How??? By hitching a ride in the trash :lol:

Edited by B35 via Church

From the updates by mta.info, this is what I've looked at by headway measure of essential travel: 

(1)(3) - every 15 minutes.

(2)(5) : both 15 minutes. However, during the day: The (5) runs via the (2) after E.180 St to Brooklyn College. During overnights, the (2) and (5) switch places. 

(4) and (6) : Approx. 10 minutes

(7) : Every 20 minutes. 

(A) : 10 minutes between Inwood-207 St to Rock Blvd, long trip as it'll make local stops. 

(D) : 10 minutes 

Queens Blvd --> (E)(F) and (M)  : 20 minutes per line. The (R) is 15 minutes.

Crosstown (G) is every 20 minutes. 

The Canarsie-14 St (L)  is every 10 minutes. 

(J) : Every 20 minutes. 

(N) : Every 20 minutes

And the (Q) being 10-15 minute headways. 

(B)(C) (W) and (Z) , <6> and <7> : 0 minutes. 

Edited by Calvin
Noted on Day and Night. Some headways vary.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

The easiest one to find is the one that runs on the Crosstown & Culver line during the PM Rush between 4 and 5 PM.

Thats the one I usually see, either hiding out in the layups at Bedford-Nostrand (G) , on the Queens Bl Line, or heading back down on the (G). Thanks though!

23 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I heard the 42nd St Shuttle is suspended tomorrow by 9:30 PM. However, the website sites the next phase in work on Monday, April 6th. Is the shuttle next phase cancelled then?

https://new.mta.info/system_modernization/42ndstreet/shuttleservice

1. I think the (S) suspension is to free up extra crews from the Shuttle to the mainline A-Division to make the headways more consistent with weekend service. 

2. I think the next phase is postponed, and only essential construction will be taking place. Now they might need to run work-trains every so often to prevent tracks from rusting over because now no trains will be mobile along the shuttle line.