Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

31 minutes ago, VIP said:

More than half those people don’t look like First responders or “Essential” employees. Plus the trains are small and running on 20-30 minute headways as opposed to the normal 6-12 minute headways. 

Thing is, given that anybody working a grocery store, liquor store, plumber, home health aide, whathaveyou counts as essential, lot of people still going in and out to work.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, VIP said:

More than half those people don’t look like First responders or “Essential” employees. Plus the trains are small and running on 20-30 minute headways as opposed to the normal 6-12 minute headways. 

What’s an essential employee look like?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Well the (E)(F) express tends to be more crowded anyways and was running on longer headways, so that pretty much explains it.  The system is literally designed for people to transfer to the express at the first opportunity.

Under normal circumstances, here's how I choose between the local or express, excluding cases where the local is the only option and I can't use the express at all, even with a transfer:

Express station to express station:  Always express

Local station to local station:  Always local

Local station to express station:  Local unless I see the express at a cross platform transfer, in which case I transfer

Express station to local station:  First train that comes.  If it's the express, I transfer to the local at the last opportunity.

Local station to express station past where lines split:  Local then transfer to express at first opportunity.

I would guess that many people will transfer to the express even more than I do.  I don't care if the train is local or express.  I'll just take whatever train or trains get me where I'm going the fastest.  One exception is if I'm on the local and have a seat, but I see the express train across the platform is packed, I'll probably just keep my seat and not transfer.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I find it interesting how the (E) and (F) are running every 20 minutes while the local (M) and (R)  trains are running every 15. The local trains along Queens Blvd are nearly empty while the express trains are running with SRO or half full cars. It’s impossible to practice social distancing on the express trains. 

On top of the reduction in crews, part of it too is because it's more likely that people in Jamaica and SE Queens are considered essential workers compared to people in most other neighborhoods along the QBL (with the exception of maybe Jackson Heights, which is an express stop), and that's why you see greater amounts of people on the express vs. the local. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

5 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I find it interesting how the (E) and (F) are running every 20 minutes while the local (M) and (R)  trains are running every 15. The local trains along Queens Blvd are nearly empty while the express trains are running with SRO or half full cars. It’s impossible to practice social distancing on the express trains. 

You give someone a choice  - ride the express train but the likelihood of picking up the virus is there, or ride the local and be absolutely safe but it might be a couple more minutes, and that tells you why the (E) and (F) are the packed ones. I can only imagine how the Flushing riders are dealing with no express whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

(G) trains are running 8-car trains to address social distancing, seen on video . 

Edited by Calvin

1 minute ago, Calvin said:

(G) trains are running 8-car trains to address social distancing, seen on video . 

8-car R46s & R68(A)s ?

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

8-car R46s & R68(A)s ?

They even have two 10 car R160s out and about on the (G) .

Also, what are these dots on select A cars of R46s? They are above the numberboard on the #1 end.

Heres an example:
R46 dot sticker

Edited by MeeP15-9112
Specificity and added question.

37 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

It’s just my take but if the local trains are running almost empty and the express trains are running crowded one would have to be rather stupid to get on the express, no ? wouldn’t want to be crowded on any public conveyance these days. Especially if I have a choice. Am I missing something here ? Just curious. Carry on.

It largely has to do with the local/express perception (that, admittedly, has some merit, especially over longer distances, but is perhaps a bit too much of a driving force), but there's also the issue of where the trains go. The (2) is an especially bad offender, seeing where it goes in Brooklyn and the Bronx.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Snowblock said:

You give someone a choice  - ride the express train but the likelihood of picking up the virus is there, or ride the local and be absolutely safe but it might be a couple more minutes, and that tells you why the (E) and (F) are the packed ones. I can only imagine how the Flushing riders are dealing with no express whatsoever.

Thanks Snowblock . I was hoping that someone would see the point of my post. Perhaps I value human life differently than others. As far as the argument about Broadway and the avenues goes IMO it might be safer to walk a few blocks rather than being cooped up in a crowded subway car. Of course I’m focusing on Manhattan rather than the outer boroughs.  To each his own I guess. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5
Context
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Calvin said:

Haven't seen a full-length (G) since a G.O. 10-11 years ago; was in the rear of the train and had to get off at Metropolitan/Grand station for the (L)- not fun cause they used the south side of the platforms to expand crew facilities- so narrow it was like walking a gauntlet. 

On another note, all that graffiti in the station- looks like there's been more trains and stations getting hit recently.

Edited by R10 2952

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

So I was looking through RPA's website, and I found this old plan for Jamaica Center regarding the 2nd Regional Plan. I'll have to look into it in greater detail later, but what I gotta say is that this is pretty cool:

http://library.rpa.org/pdf/RPA-Plan2-Jamaica-Center.pdf

Map 15 (page 51) would have been a terrible plan. The way the track maps depict the changes evokes the worst of:

• the reverse branching that will neuter the 2 Avenue Line when they get to phase 3;
  • the preclusion of an additional East River tunnel from 2 Avenue/East Houston Street because of the way the Chrystie Street connection was built;
  • the Culver/Crosstown connection

9 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Haven't seen a full-length (G) since a G.O. 10-11 years ago;

Full length (G) trains have most commonly run during the following G.O. which from what I can find, happened as recently as December 2018.  The (G) replaced the (F) to Coney Island, which ran via the (C) to Euclid.  (C) trains were cut back to 2nd Avenue Lower East Side.  The extended (G) ran full length R46 and R160 trains that were borrowed from the (F).

10 minutes ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

Just thought I'd check in and see how you guys are doing down there, and rethink how you approached me when I tried sounding the alarm.

Was that really necessary?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

Nothing predicted has happened for any of the reasons predicted even remotely in the order stated. So, no.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

54 minutes ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

Just thought I'd check in and see how you guys are doing down there, and rethink how you approached me when I tried sounding the alarm.

Do you still believe I was fear-mongering?

Im doing just fine moving these trains thanks....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • LMAO! 10
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

Actually I do. And I’m going to formally advise you to stop it - since during this stay-at-home order period I figured out how to use these moderator buttons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 6

On 4/3/2020 at 10:42 PM, paulrivera said:

Here’s a random thought:

When we get back to a sense of normalcy, does anyone think that NYCT will revisit and maybe change their 125% loading guidelines going forward?

If they do, it will to cut service more. As @RR503 has mentioned in the past, we need to move away from loading guidelines to schedule our service.

5 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

It’s the internet. All victories are pyrrhic.

8 minutes ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

Did the B division have yard stickers on their cars like the A division?

Not really. Just a few color circles on some 46s (not every one). 

Yellow = Jamaica, Blue Diamond = Pitkin  -> That was before. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Not really. Just a few color circles on some 46s (not every one). 

Yellow = Jamaica, Blue Diamond = Pitkin  -> That was before. 

So thats what those dots are for! The blue diamonds IIRC were used on JA—Pitkin 46s and then there was the few that were involved in the JA—CI swap (5842-5).

Edited by MeeP15-9112