SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Were trains running through the station after the fire?

No

The (2) was rerouted to the Lexington and the (3) ran on the (1) line to 137th street from 96th street I believe. With every regular (3) stop after 96th street being served by shuttle buses.

86th and 96th street were also closed briefly for FDNY investigation https://mymtaalerts.com/m?D8D32

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

In the Essential Service Plan, it seems trains that normally run express continue to run express unless they need to run local to replace a suspended service, regardless of headways.  I wonder if there's a specific headway where express service no longer makes sense and it's better to send all trains local with more frequent service, and how it would be calculated.  It would need to be determined at what point does the time saved with shorter wait times exceed the time saved with express service.

6 hours ago, Deucey said:

Were trains running through the station after the fire?

Not for the immediate weekend (since nothing was running on the Lenox Avenue line and trains were being rerouted). The week that followed, (3) and (5) trains were instructed to bypass the station during daytime hours, but nothing was running during overnight hours. 

On 4/5/2020 at 1:05 PM, Deucey said:

Actually I do. And I’m going to formally advise you to stop it - since during this stay-at-home order period I figured out how to use these moderator buttons.

I have a better idea.

Delete My Account.

Anything is better than listening to whiny NYCT personnel deny the inevitable.

Edited by MassTransitHonchkrow

1 hour ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

I have a better idea.

Delete My Account.

Anything is better than listening to whiny NYCT personnel deny the inevitable.

You can do that yourself. But I gave you a month’s time to think about whether you want to participate positively or leave.

So the (E) is running every 30 minutes according to the essential service plan. I wonder how those trains are looking now with the added wait. I know the amount of service that can be ran is depended on the amount of crew available, so I’m guessing a lot of them are sick. 

5 hours ago, P3F said:

@Coney Island Av @trainfan22

I had some time to kill, so I decided to check out the GE R32s at Floyd Bennett Field. It turns out you can see them from one of the roads, and the cars appear to be in pretty decent condition on the outside. They still have their flipdots, rollsigns, and number plates.

Maybe the (MTA) could swap that pair for a regular Phase I R32 (maybe the mothballed 3786-3787) and restore it to operational condition (and put into the Museum Collection). That way, all three post GOH phases (I, II, GE) can be represented and be showcased.

If ppl want a pre GOH representation, then this pair is the easiest to convert back to near pre GOH, seeing that the marker lights and the EXP/LCL holes are present, albeit currently patched.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

So the (E) is running every 30 minutes according to the essential service plan. I wonder how those trains are looking now with the added wait. I know the amount of service that can be ran is depended on the amount of crew available, so I’m guessing a lot of them are sick. 

Most likely your typical (E) train but 1000x worse. Its a wannabe Tokyo subway line, push and shove.

23 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

Did the B division have yard stickers on their cars like the A division?

23 hours ago, Calvin said:

Not really. Just a few color circles on some 46s (not every one). 

Yellow = Jamaica, Blue Diamond = Pitkin  -> That was before. 

23 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

So thats what those dots are for! The blue diamonds IIRC were used on JA—Pitkin 46s and then there was the few that were involved in the JA—CI swap (5842-5).

The B Division did have yard stickers back in the late '80s and early '90s, they were just never as widely used as stickers on the A Division.  Cases in point:

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2462

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4594

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?50027

As to the R46s, the blue diamonds may have been something else; when they first were pasted on the cars there was talk that it was to denote air compressor modifications done on those cars- don't know the whole story though, an employee would probably know more about this.

34 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

The B Division did have yard stickers back in the late '80s and early '90s, they were just never as widely used as stickers on the A Division.  Cases in point:

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2462

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4594

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?50027

As to the R46s, the blue diamonds may have been something else; when they first were pasted on the cars there was talk that it was to denote air compressor modifications done on those cars- don't know the whole story though, an employee would probably know more about this.

Interesting @R10 2952.

Looking at the photos, it seems that the yard sticker assignments are:

half orange/yellow combo: Concourse 

full orange strip: CIY.

10 minutes ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

Interesting @R10 2952.

Looking at the photos, it seems that the yard sticker assignments are:

half orange/yellow combo: Concourse 

full orange strip: CIY.

Considering the routes based out of those yards, you'd think they'd be reversed.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

Is this in a yard - I can’t think of a time (C) ever went above ground?

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Probably taken when the (C) went to Rockaway park in the 80's.

Edit: nope I see the El in the background. It looks like concourse yard.

Yep... the C ran b/w Rockaway Park & Bedford Park Blvd. back in the mid to late 80's.... That was around the time they got rid of the K....

Anyway, that's definitely Concourse yard in that photo.

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Yep... the C ran b/w Rockaway Park & Bedford Park Blvd. back in the mid to late 80's.... That was around the time they got rid of the K....

I guess it's a good thing I was born after that stopped. I can only imagine the complaints from train crews, to say nothing of those unfortunate enough to have to rely on it...