SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

3 hours ago, Lex said:

I guess it's a good thing I was born after that stopped. I can only imagine the complaints from train crews, to say nothing of those unfortunate enough to have to rely on it...

Believe it or not some of the old timers actually enjoyed working the CC, at least the ones I’ve spoke/interacted with. The job itself wasn’t bad.

Me personally I prefer to work on longer lines like the (2)(A)(F) because I don’t like to ping pong back and forth all day. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Believe it or not some of the old timers actually enjoyed working the CC, at least the ones I’ve spoke/interacted with. The job itself wasn’t bad.

Me personally I prefer to work on longer lines like the (2)(A)(F) because I don’t like to ping pong back and forth all day. 

Hey there bro. U still going back to the A on the 26th? 

48 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Well the pick got postponed due to this ongoing pandemic so it looks like I’m stuck in the B for the time being. I miss my “toy trains” but hey it is what it is. 

48 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Well the pick got postponed due to this ongoing pandemic so it looks like I’m stuck in the B for the time being. I miss my “toy trains” but hey it is what it is. 

Almost the entire August induction has been sent back to the yard after we finished the road practical bc of it too

2 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

I think it was 3864-65. Saw that pair many times, and one car of the pair had a orange sticker.

3820 has the same orange sticker as 3864. Also, 3818/19 have yellow stickers that are a bit different from the “orange” ones.

img_147356.jpg

Maybe this is the set @Around the Horn was talking about? As far as I can tell it was a Pitkin pair back in the ‘90s.

42 minutes ago, SimplyMyself said:

3820 has the same orange sticker as 3864. Also, 3818/19 have yellow stickers that are a bit different from the “orange” ones.

img_147356.jpg

Maybe this is the set @Around the Horn was talking about? As far as I can tell it was a Pitkin pair back in the ‘90s.

3 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

I think it was 3864-65. Saw that pair many times, and one car of the pair had a orange sticker.

Maybe its time to create a list of all B division cars that retain their old yard stickers.

Also to note, there are a handful of R46s floating around with really beat up red stickers (one of the 6070s-6080s come to mind).

13 hours ago, Lex said:

I guess it's a good thing I was born after that stopped. I can only imagine the complaints from train crews, to say nothing of those unfortunate enough to have to rely on it...

I wonder how long it took to complete the (E) from 179TH Street Jamaica to Rockaway Park and the (QJ) from Jamaica-168TH to Brighton Beach.

20 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

img_4594.jpg

6 hours ago, SimplyMyself said:

img_147356.jpg

There was a list somewhere of the old B Division yard stickers, I juts can't remember if it was on nycsubway.org or in an old book somewhere.

Also, how are you guys able to get the images from nycsubway.org to embed? Whenever I try embedding photos here on the forums, it won't work for me and only displays as links.

Edited by R10 2952

7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

A thought came into my mind earlier, if the (L)(J)(M) and (Z) share the same yard, how come a R143 or R179 don't show up on the (M)?

A R143 is very very rare to go on the (M) (it happened once) mainly because the (L) needs Gen 1 CBTC cars, and the (M) will soon get its cars upgraded to CBTC Gen 3 for Queens Bl service. Gen 1 CBTC is incompatible with Gen 3 CBTC because its an older version and no longer up to standards.

The R179s are all used for (J)(Z) service to help the remaining of R160s running around there make service.

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

Also, how are you guys able to get the images from nycsubway.org to embed? Whenever I try embedding photos here on the forums, it won't work for me and only displays as links.

Right click the image then click "View Image" ("Open Image in New Tab" on some browsers) then copy the link from that image and insert it here using the insert other media button

10 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

7 hours ago, SimplyMyself said:

[pic removed]

I could have sworn there was a R32 that had that specific split yellow/white sticker but I've definitely seen both pairs that you two mentioned.

10 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Speaking of the (M) , if CBTC is in effect on the QBL line, can the cars 8313-8376 be coupled to 8377-8652? Except 8376 is on bypass or having the QBL CBTC option.

I dont think the (MTA) would install two different programs of CBTC on one train.

Plus, the R211 order is near and that may include 4 car sets for the (M) to use in the future in order to supplement its R160 fleet.

28 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I could have sworn there was a R32 that had that specific split yellow/white sticker but I've definitely seen both pairs that you two mentioned.

I found it!!!

It was R32 3807, with the colors reversed, white before yellow.img_142904.jpg

img_146826.jpgThis is 3520, with the same stickers as 3864-3865. The stickers were later removed on this car.

Note that there is a small purple spot towards the end of the sticker.

I am assuming that this was a former Concourse car, as the orange could have signified (D) service and the small purple spot for rush hour (C)  service to the Bronx.

Edited by MeeP15-9112
More sticker examples put in

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Right click the image then click "View Image" ("Open Image in New Tab" on some browsers) then copy the link from that image and insert it here using the insert other media button

Right-clicked, selected "Open image in new tab", copied the link, then pasted it into the button here on the forums that says "Insert image from URL".  The field highlighted red and nothing went through.  Huh, this is really weird- only seems to happen with photos; videos and news articles seem to embed fine.

@Cait Sith @Deucey Is it a glitch in the Matrix or is the problem on my end?

Edited by R10 2952

17 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Right-clicked, selected "Open image in new tab", copied the link, then pasted it into the button here on the forums that says "Insert image from URL". 

The field highlighted red and nothing went through. 

Huh, this is really weird- only seems to happen with photos; videos and news articles seem to embed fine.

@Cait Sith @Deucey Is it a glitch in the Matrix or is the problem on my end?

Does the copied & pasted link include the file extension (jpg, gif, png) ?

Sometimes I actually want to display the link to an image & it automatically embeds it (whenever I paste the link directly into the text box)... I seldom ever have to click on the "insert image from URL" button to display a image....

54 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Does the copied & pasted link include the file extension (jpg, gif, png) ?

It doesn't, and when I tried adding that and even the [/IMG] code, it didn't work.

55 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Sometimes I actually want to display the link to an image & it automatically embeds it (whenever I paste the link directly into the text box)... I seldom ever have to click on the "insert image from URL" button to display a image....

Yeah, I have the opposite problem basically LOL...

20 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

3806/3807 has that sticker

In terms of the R32s...I would be surprised if they returned to service. However, can 6-car R46 trains (2 south, 4 north) be made for the (C) without negatively impacting the (A) (that is, are there enough R179 sets for the (A))? (The Rockaway Park trains could be cut to 2 or 3 trains in the interim.)

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

It doesn't, and when I tried adding that and even the [/IMG] code, it didn't work.

Yeah, I have the opposite problem basically LOL...

So you’ll then need to save the image and then upload it to a host.

I generally use imgbb.com since I’m usually posting screenshots and don’t need to claim ownership of them, but any image host will do.

1 hour ago, aemoreira81 said:

In terms of the R32s...I would be surprised if they returned to service. However, can 6-car R46 trains (2 south, 4 north) be made for the (C) without negatively impacting the (A) (that is, are there enough R179 sets for the (A))? (The Rockaway Park trains could be cut to 2 or 3 trains in the interim.)

They technically could be made.  That's what operated on the (G) before 2001.  However, they'd be shorter than even the 8 car R32 and R179 trains.  When R46's have run on the (C) they've been full length.

45 minutes ago, Deucey said:

So you’ll then need to save the image and then upload it to a host.

I generally use imgbb.com since I’m usually posting screenshots and don’t need to claim ownership of them, but any image host will do.

Yeah, I could've sworn it embedded fine before the last site update, but anyway, I tried imgbb.com and no dice- it either shows up as a link or the field turns red and it won't go through when I paste into "Insert Image from URL" here on NYCTF:

https://ibb.co/VMxfB18

The weird thing is videos embed just fine when I Insert the link for those.

I've been dealing with the photo-linking problem for a while now, though.  Greatly appreciate any help. 

8 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Yeah, I could've sworn it embedded fine before the last site update, but anyway, I tried imgbb.com and no dice- it either shows up as a link or the field turns red and it won't go through when I paste into "Insert Image from URL" here on NYCTF:

https://ibb.co/VMxfB18

The weird thing is videos embed just fine when I Insert the link for those.

I've been dealing with the photo-linking problem for a while now, though.  Greatly appreciate any help. 

Copy the [..url] ... code - I think it’s referred to as “bb code”. Just delete everything before the first [...img] and the last [/...url]

Edited by Deucey