SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

3 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

It doesn't, and when I tried adding that and even the [/IMG] code, it didn't work.

28 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Yeah, I could've sworn it embedded fine before the last site update, but anyway, I tried imgbb.com and no dice- it either shows up as a link or the field turns red and it won't go through when I paste into "Insert Image from URL" here on NYCTF:

https://ibb.co/VMxfB18

The weird thing is videos embed just fine when I Insert the link for those.

I've been dealing with the photo-linking problem for a while now, though.  Greatly appreciate any help. 

Well there's your problem; you have to include the file extension....

What you just linked is a webpage, not the link to the actual image....The URL for that image is actually:

https://i.ibb.co/mh0fzj7/img-108110.jpg

Copying & pasting the link above into the textbox here, yields:

img-108110.jpg

((image purposely scaled to conserve post length))

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Deucey said:

Copy the [..url] ... code - I think it’s referred to as “bb code”. Just delete everything before the first [...img] and the last [/...url]

35 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Well there's your problem; you have to include the file extension....

What you just linked is a webpage, not the link to the actual image....The URL for that image is actually:

https://i.ibb.co/mh0fzj7/img-108110.jpg

Copying & pasting the link above into the textbox here, yields:

img-108110.jpg

((image purposely scaled to conserve post length))

Got it, just tried it myself- the image through hosting is showing up without any problems, works good.  Thanks.

Yeah, any time I tried the "Insert Image from URL" button, things never went through.  And whenever I tried putting in an image directly from nycsubway.org or any other site, it would just show up like:

show?108110

For now, I'll just stick with using image-hosting places as a proxy.  Still trying to wrap my head around some things since the last site update here on NYCTF, but I'll figure it out eventually.  Been using computers since the turn of the millenium, but trying to keep up with technology I sometimes feel like CJ trying to follow the damn train 😆

Since you are still copying the web page link instead of the image link, you need some clarification on this procedure. After you open the image in a new tab, you need to click on that newly-opened tab if the browser was not configured to immediately switch to it, and copy the link shown on that address bar. That will be the direct link to the image.

A direct image link always ends with a file extension. It does not contain the same address information as the webpage with the embedded image; this is why adding the file extension to the end of a web page link does not work. Entering this link into your browser will display only the image and nothing else, except for a single-color background if necessary.

The direct link for the image you are trying to embed is below:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/nycsubway.org/images/i108000/img_108110.jpg

Edited by Gong Gahou
grammar corrections

img_108110.jpg

1 hour ago, Gong Gahou said:

Since you are still copying the web page link instead of the image link, you need some clarification on this procedure. After you open the image in a new tab, you need to click on that newly-opened tab if the browser was not configured to immediately switch to it, and copy the link shown on that address bar. That will be the direct link to the image.

A direct image link always ends with a file extension. It does not contain the same address information as the webpage with the embedded image; this is why adding the file extension to the end of a web page link does not work. Entering this link into your browser will display only the image and nothing else, except for a single-color background if necessary.

The direct link for the image you are trying to embed is below:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/nycsubway.org/images/i108000/img_108110.jpg

That's exactly what I was looking for- how were you able to locate the direct link?

Edited by R10 2952

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

...how were you able to locate the direct link?

I explained this in the first paragraph of my previous post. It is the same procedure that was given to you by another member before, with a bit more info added to lead you into the right direction and not make the same mistake again.

Below is the link of the webpage containing the image you want to embed:

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?108110

From there, follow what I wrote and you will get the direct link. If done correctly, the link on the address bar will appear exactly as shown in my previous post.

Edited by Gong Gahou
added quote

Got it

19 minutes ago, Gong Gahou said:

I explained this in the first paragraph of my previous post. It is the same procedure that was given to you by another member before, with a bit more info added to lead you into the right direction and not make the same mistake again.

Below is the link of the webpage containing the image you want to embed:

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?108110

From there, follow what I wrote and you will get the direct link. If done correctly, the link on the address bar will appear exactly as shown in my previous post.

Got it and found the direct link, thanks.

48 minutes ago, shiznit1987 said:

What is the purpose of those gates that stuck out of the front of subway cars except the 75fts/NTT? 

So that passengers dont fall in between the cars and be crushed to death.

This is because at the ends of each car, theres a large gap because its the end of the subway car.

All cars (SMEE, NTT, and 75 footers) have some sort of barrier that serves this purpose; the SMEES have gates, and the NTTS and 75 footers have three spring chains.

Edited by MeeP15-9112
Description

2 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

So that passengers dont fall in between the cars and be crushed to death.

This is because at the ends of each car, theres a large gap because its the end of the subway car.

All cars (SMEE, NTT, and 75 footers) have some sort of barrier that serves this purpose; the SMEES have gates, and the NTTS and 75 footers have three spring chains.

That's honestly pointless, as the doors are locked on those to keep people out of harm's way (look toward the next car while going around a bend).

1 hour ago, Lex said:

That's honestly pointless, as the doors are locked on those to keep people out of harm's way (look toward the next car while going around a bend).

It’s intended purpose is For ADA compliance. Those were/are installed for those passengers who are visually impaired and require a white cane to guide their way. 

6 hours ago, Lex said:

The barriers in discussion are not supposed to prevent people crossing between cars from falling into the tracks; the six-chain barriers in-between cars serve that purpose. The role of the three-spring barriers/pantograph gates is to prevent straphangers on the platform from falling into the tracks.

And if you are directing your response to the chain barriers: They are certainly not pointless. Even though the storm doors are locked, employees do cross between cars and passengers do cross during evacuations. As long as there will be people crossing between cars, some form of barrier will be necessary.

Edited by Gong Gahou
added a word

There’s a derailment on the 6 line southbound around Parkchester. IIRC there’s no 6 trains after Hunts Pt Ave, and a rescue train is there now, as per this, via E’mari Davis:JjKcJFt.jpg

Edited by mine248

Just now, mine248 said:

There’s a derailment on the 6 line southbound around Parkchester. IIRC there’s no 6 trains after Hunts Pt Ave, and a rescue train is there now, as per this, via E’mari Davis:JjKcJFt.jpg

I know this is aside from the point but there is a Quill M31 in the picture 

I hear the subway is damn near a wasteland now with dirty cars and piss and poop being common in the cars, poop BETWEEN the cars and ppl openly urinating inside the train rather than between the cars or on a subway pillar. Ridership is down 90 percent. I would imagine the employee shortage gotta be effecting the department that maintains the tracks too? I wonder if this (6) train derailment is because they have a shortage of ppl inspecting the tracks. And if you think I'm crazy for suggesting this, derailments were common in the 70s & 80s "deferred maintenance" era and once the system improved in the 90s derailments hardly ever happened.

Seeing the 46s on the (Q) is unique: regular (Q) sign, <Q> or even the (orangeQ). Before that time, I first remembered seeing the first picture of the Second Av Subway station: 96 St and it was two SAS wraps that are 160s and its the main fleet for that line (including the (Q) via Sea Beach trippers).

Btw, on the R46s running on the (Q) , are the 96 St codes formally the (K) option or is a newly added code to the screen?

Edited by Calvin

26 minutes ago, Calvin said:

On the R46s running on the (Q) , are the 96 St codes formally the (K) option or is a newly added code to the screen?

Someone might be able to explain this better but, those codes were the (K) programs and the reason for they show is either due to some R46 never receiving the upgrade or the update didn’t transfer to their LCD displays.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

12 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Someone might be able to explain this better but, those codes were the (K) programs and the reason for they show is either due to some R46 never receiving the upgrade or the update didn’t transfer to their LCD displays.

And, the crews have no way of knowing which cars have the update.

2 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The (M) isn't running to 96 St-2 Av this weekend. Wonder if this is the only weekend or part of the essential plan. 

It might for this weekend (and any others where there aren't enough crews). On twitter, they've said that they will continue running the (M) to 96th Street, but less frequent than usual. 

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It might for this weekend (and any others where there aren't enough crews). On twitter, they've said that they will continue running the (M) to 96th Street, but less frequent than usual. 

Is the (M) to 96th St really needed at a time like this where ridership is down so much? I think they should just let it end at Essex St all week.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Is the (M) to 96th St really needed at a time like this where ridership is down so much? I think they should just let it end at Essex St all week.

during these times its not about the ridership. Its about maintaining social distancing and ensuring that essential workers get from point A to point B. They didn't want to go to the "essential plan" but had to when they realized that too many crews were missing, causing a lot of gaps in subway service on every route. Subway service ws very spotty, with random gaps due to missing crews, so the solution was to transition to saturday service (but keeping the weekday (M) train service) running. If it weren't for the low availability of train crews, we would have normal weekday service (like we did prior to March 23rd.) despite only 8% of daily ridership.