SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 4/15/2020 at 1:22 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Okay, what I'm trying to say is, say you picked a job to be a T/O (or Motorman) on the (E) line for example. Since were in the middle of a pandemic, crew shortages have become more of a regular occurrence from what I've been hearing. So, T/O / M/M finishes a run on the (E) and dispatch says there's a crew shortage on lets say.... the (Q). Would somebody, who picked to work on the (E) be sent onto the (Q) to cover in for an emergency crew shortage

Get what I'm trying to say now?

No, I've seen (E) and (F) crews get off at Jamaica on 179th Street or Parsons Archer after they finish their run with the intent of going home. Considering both lines have homeless people sleeping on subway cars, I don't blame them. In the (E)'s case, the MTA really wants to keep it as the Jamaica at Hillside and Parsons Local/Express to Lower Manhattan. 

I forgot they got rid of the R-32s in March, the one subway car that can pretty much run from Jamaica to Lower Manhattan without any trouble. Those new Subway cars made it too easy for the homeless to sleep in.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Anyone know the back story behind this R44 apparently having a large R40/42 rollsign displaying M?

img_150599.jpg

Perhaps a prototype sign from 1971?  The location also looks unfamiliar- the car plant in St. Louis, MO possibly?

Edited by R10 2952

On 4/16/2020 at 8:21 AM, Deucey said:

There’s two replies regarding this specific post, and I’ve hidden other replies to it as well - including yours. 

Now would be the time to take the L and move onto another topic.

Oh, and “feening” - just so you know - means desiring something like a drug, food, physical contact, etc: 

I know what it means and like I said , they were feening , since you so smart , you should also know someone can feen to get a point across but like I said before , I’m not doing this here , it’s not that deep for ya to be this hurt 😂😂

Edited by Maxwell179

21 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Shit rolls downhill, and have you seen the top? Albany's the biggest shithole there is in terms of "bad management".

Different governors, same shit, stretching back at least as far as Cuomo Sr.

The biggest problem with New York is that all the "Good" Mayors tend to work better under an economic crisis and pull out all the stops to keep the city running.

Cuomo Jr. is a bad governor in the sense that he has an economic crisis that threatens the city's future and Deblasio is useless.

Lindsay would've have a plan ready for Covid-19 while figuring out what to do for after the shutdown.

Cuomo's flaws are becoming more apparent with each conference where he's too reliant on Trump to get him out of the shutdown. He pretty much alienated the people who would be of use to the MTA like Byford, and Lhota, and Helena Williams. They're not coming back to rescue the MTA for a crisis it created.

Edited by NY1635

The (G) at this time will be how the ((M) ,old (brownM)) was in measurement

- On weekdays, the Crosstown line is a full 8-75 ft car trains with the C/R and on weekends: is a regular 4 car train. 

Edited by Calvin

15 hours ago, CenSin said:

It makes sense in a way. The trains to/from Ozone Park have shorter trips (mileage-wise).

Yes I agree and because the (A) Line need Express Trains and Local Trains during normal hours in between 6:00am and 11:00pm. Because of no (C) service that means now they have Far Rockaway (A) Trains running Express and Lefferts Blvd (A)Trains running Local both directions in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Because I first thought they was going to have all (A) Trains running Local all day with no Express service. 

Edited by bwwnyc123

Last night I had an dream that I rode an pre GOH R42 on the (J) which is odd as I never been on an pre GOH R42. 

It was 4 cars long and accelerating faster than the post GOH R42 did, I said to myself in the dream, these cars still have field shunting! I got off at Broadway Junction and tried to take a video on my phone of the train but it left before I could open the video app.

I stay having dreams about retired transit vehicles that they are still in service in current day, and when I wake up, I'm bummed that these transit vehicles are retired😟

9 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Yes I agree and because the (A) Line need Express Trains and Local Trains during normal hours in between 6:00am and 11:00pm. Because of no (C) service that means now they have Far Rockaway (A) Trains running Express and Lefferts Blvd (A)Trains running Local both directions in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Because I first thought they was going to have all (A) Trains running Local all day with no Express service. 

They were running all (A) trains local.  I think they made the change to half local and half express because they've been able to increase service in recent days, so there's enough trains to have both local and express service, and maintain acceptable headways at local station.  Trains are running every 20 minutes both local to Lefferts and express to Far Rockaway, so on average that's service every 10 minutes at express stations and every 20 minutes at local stations.  Previously they were only running trains every 20 minutes total, so they had to go all local or else there would be 40 minute gaps at local stations.  There already were at stations out past Rockaway Boulevard.

Hopefully they can get the (C) running again soon, but they'll probably still be running Lefferts (A) trains local for a while, just as they did before the (C) was suspended.

On 4/21/2020 at 7:48 PM, Calvin said:

The (G) at this time will be how the ((M) ,old (brownM)) was in measurement

- On weekdays, the Crosstown line is a full 8-75 ft car trains with the C/R and on weekends: is a regular 4 car train. 

The (G) has two R160’s again. 

Anyone noticed that Londons Underground trains propulsions shut off when going over third rail gaps? Why does that happen there but not here? Sounds pretty cool when it picks back up. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WszUxHQnUZw&list=PLMx64TWEl8gPuTZuffknIwxpJN5hbqK-a&index=41

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

12 hours ago, Collin said:

They were running all (A) trains local.  I think they made the change to half local and half express because they've been able to increase service in recent days, so there's enough trains to have both local and express service, and maintain acceptable headways at local station.  Trains are running every 20 minutes both local to Lefferts and express to Far Rockaway, so on average that's service every 10 minutes at express stations and every 20 minutes at local stations.  Previously they were only running trains every 20 minutes total, so they had to go all local or else there would be 40 minute gaps at local stations.  There already were at stations out past Rockaway Boulevard.

Hopefully they can get the (C) running again soon, but they'll probably still be running Lefferts (A) trains local for a while, just as they did before the (C) was suspended.

Yes many trains are starting to run much better headway’s.  Subway time shows the (7) running about every 6-8 min or so this morning  also the (J) Is every 10 min . I think this pandemic will end much quicker then people think . At least the worst of it . 

Edited by Abba

I don't know when this will end or if the worst is over.  Everything has been so much worse than I even imagined it would be.  If the MTA has figured out how to adequately protect their workers, then that is a huge step towards reopening the city.  They need to be running regular service as more people start returning to work.

4 hours ago, Abba said:

Yes many trains are starting to run much better headway’s.  Subway time shows the (7) running about every 6-8 min or so this morning  also the (J) Is every 10 min . I think this pandemic will end much quicker then people think . At least the worst of it . 

I read a few days ago that there were 5,000 workers that just finished going through mandatory quarantine so I assume that's why service is much better recently.

22 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Anyone noticed that Londons Underground trains propulsions shut off when going over third rail gaps? Why does that happen there but not here? Sounds pretty cool when it picks back up. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WszUxHQnUZw&list=PLMx64TWEl8gPuTZuffknIwxpJN5hbqK-a&index=41

Doesn’t the Underground use a 4-rail setup?