SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Lex said:

And how, exactly, are buses supposed to reach it?

It'd be somewhat like the NYC version of Bridge Plaza (Ft. Lee) - with subway access.... You would have to keep the WB Q46 on the lower level of Union Tpke. for that access (it currently uses the upper level, to where it can hang that right onto QB to eventually terminate).... EB Q37, same deal, but opposite direction - the EB buses would have to use the lower level of Union Tpke. for that access (it currently uses the upper level of Union Tpke, so it can terminate on the corner of Union Tpke/QB [well technically, Kew Gardens Rd]).... Q10 would have to bypass the entire area around the LIRR station & turn off on Met. av, to follow the Q37.... Anybody actually needing Queens Blvd. would be s**t outta luck...

With dedication, I mean they could have the buses have that access, but the turnarounds would be a b*@ch for all 3 routes.... It's also something you couldn't have buses terminating at.

It looks like the(2) and (4)  train’s is running regular weekday service today . Shows even short turns to Burnside! It looks like they are the only  lines operating regular service right now from what I see.Slowly  but surely.

Edited by Abba

13 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I heard trains are getting shutdown between 1-4 AM in the mornings. This method takes effect starting Wednesday, May 6th. 

Probably because they want to disinfect the cars and try to get as much homeless of the trains as possible...I heard something similar...Don't know how true it is tho...

On 4/28/2020 at 4:56 PM, Collin said:

Those would be good locations, though I'm not sure what the benefit is other than removing bus traffic from street level.  It adds stairs that passengers have to go up and down to get to the subway.

I'm not sure if this is planned, but it could allow for more (M) service, or a restored (V) that would go to Church Avenue and allow for more Culver express service.

That would be a great idea. I’ve previously suggested the possibility of doing (M) and (V) locals on Queens Blvd via the 63rd St Tunnel and the (V) continuing on to Church over in the Proposals topic. But in order to have that, the (R) would have to be removed from QB to make room for the (V). And the (F) would have run on a reduced frequency, though that could be made up for in Brooklyn and 6th Avenue by the (V) and on 53rd St and Queens by increased (E) service (more Hillside (E) service). 

On 4/28/2020 at 5:11 PM, MHV9218 said:

Yeah, this is a little strange to me. I have to think Roosevelt Island would stage a coup if faced with the (M) as its only service. I also wonder about the 8-car restriction. Suddenly we're talking 1/2 the frequency, and on shorter trains to boot? That could lead to some impressive crowding. 

Personally, I think the only change here should be making the (M) to 96/2nd permanent, but nobody seems to agree with me on that one...

I’ll agree with that. Only having the (M) there will be a huge service cut at Queensbridge and Roosevelt Island and riders there would have every right to be concerned about that.

20 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Nah Nah Nah

The win-win here would be the following: 

• Reform the fumigating process at Forest Hills. Doing this would increase the terminal capacity up from 20 TPH. 
  • Queens Blvd CBTC (which seems to be on the horizon) 
  • Full time (M) Service via 63 rd. That’s 8 TPH right there, if anything, I’d argue that there’s a bit more space on 6th Avenue Local to add a few local (F)’s. These local (F) trains could run express along Culver and would follow the same route as normal (F) trains. 
  • (E)(F) via 53rd. Both 15 TPH each. 18 (E)’s, 12 (F)’s. On 63rd, it would be 8 (M)’s, 7 <F>‘s. 60th can continue with 6-10 (R)‘s. 
  • Extend local service during the peak hours so that commute times for passengers taking the bus to the (F) can be reduced. 

While the QB local tracks certainly are below capacity now and could use better dispatching/fumigation policies to accommodate more trains, I still think having <F> trains (which I will call (V) because it would be very confusing to have (F) trains via 53rd and <F> trains via 63rd) sharing the QB local tracks with the (M) and (R) will be a very tight squeeze due to all the merging and fumigation at 71st. The tph totals for the (F) (twelve), the (M) (eight) and the (V) (seven) should work, as that will stay under 30 tph on the 6th Avenue local. The (R) probably can fit, but if it’s a limited service and it still has the same amount of merging as now, I think it’ll be even less reliable than now.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

Probably because they want to disinfect the cars and try to get as much homeless of the trains as possible...I heard something similar...Don't know how true it is tho...

Take a Corona to get the MTA to finally do this. SMH

7 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

It'd be somewhat like the NYC version of Bridge Plaza (Ft. Lee) - with subway access.... You would have to keep the WB Q46 on the lower level of Union Tpke. for that access (it currently uses the upper level, to where it can hang that right onto QB to eventually terminate).... EB Q37, same deal, but opposite direction - the EB buses would have to use the lower level of Union Tpke. for that access (it currently uses the upper level of Union Tpke, so it can terminate on the corner of Union Tpke/QB [well technically, Kew Gardens Rd]).... Q10 would have to bypass the entire area around the LIRR station & turn off on Met. av, to follow the Q37.... Anybody actually needing Queens Blvd. would be s**t outta luck...

With dedication, I mean they could have the buses have that access, but the turnarounds would be a b*@ch for all 3 routes.... It's also something you couldn't have buses terminating at.

IIRC, there are subway entrances right above the underpass locations as well. The elevator is also located near one of those.

It'd certainly not be *easy*, but you could do it. You'd probably have to extend each bus route a little bit to make it work (Q10/Q37 probably to Main, Q46 to Metropolitan, but at that point you might as well go all the way and do the Q23 loop. Which wouldn't be the *worst* thing in the world since it'd provide additional 2 seat rides that don't currently exist (Union -> Woodhaven, Lefferts -> Main). Super long term whenever the MTA, City and State get their shit together, I'd like to see a light rail line replace the Q46 and Q10 LTDs.

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

In other words, the Q46 would somehow need to go even further out of its way just to turn (to reach it), and the Q37 and especially the Q10 would suddenly find themselves doing the same thing (to get away from it, as well as to reach it in the Q10's case), all for the subway's sake.

Hard pass.

6 hours ago, CenSin said:

Take a Corona to get the MTA to finally do this. SMH

Of course..U already know how the (MTA) get's down...The biggest problem right now is the homeless in the subway system wide...I know it ain't easy to tackle that problem i feel for the homeless but commuters are getting fed up over it...(E) trains should be the 1st line to go for...I mean that been the homeless line for years now and gotten worst....

7 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

IIRC, there are subway entrances right above the underpass locations as well. The elevator is also located near one of those.

There are entrances on both mezzanines to the underpass. The one on the west mezzanine (Q46 side) is there and intact- it even has a station sign that reads (E)(F)(G)(N) (pre-87, someone verify) on the outside!

The East mezzanine (elevator side) has the glass blocks which could be punched out to make an entrance identical to the west side. I think at one point that side was just like the west side until the (MTA) built that entrance with the elevator(everything looks recent in that entrance).

Also: Does anyone have any footage/pictures of NYCT equipment traveling on the Bay Ridge Branch when the Willy-B was closed for rehab?

Edited by MeeP15-9112

9 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

There are entrances on both mezzanines to the underpass. The one on the west mezzanine (Q46 side) is there and intact- it even has a station sign that reads (E)(F)(G)(N) (pre-87, someone verify) on the outside!

The East mezzanine (elevator side) has the glass blocks which could be punched out to make an entrance identical to the west side. I think at one point that side was just like the west side until the (MTA) built that entrance with the elevator(everything looks recent in that entrance).

Also: Does anyone have any footage/pictures of NYCT equipment traveling on the Bay Ridge Branch when the Willy-B was closed for rehab?

Those signs are c.1985.

15 hours ago, Lex said:

In other words, the Q46 would somehow need to go even further out of its way just to turn (to reach it), and the Q37 and especially the Q10 would suddenly find themselves doing the same thing (to get away from it, as well as to reach it in the Q10's case), all for the subway's sake.

Hard pass.

I'm not defending it, so you're preaching to the choir AFAIC....

Hell, I'm giving it a hard pass, simply on the strength of not being able to form an intermodal terminal out of it.... Everything else I mentioned in that last post (regarding what it would take for the 3 routes just to reach it) is secondary.... The buses already serve the subway station, so if not for having the 3 routes end with one another, it's not worth the hassle....

32 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

For those interested. As of today 5/1 the (Q) has resumed regular scheduled service. On Monday 5/4 the (N) will resume service to Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue. On Wednesday 5/6 the # (3) line will resume regular scheduled service. 

Is there a schedule for when all lines will resume?

I don’t think it will take that long. I think when the (6) and (7) resume thier normal weekday schedule the express will return as well. They want to run as much service as they can to reduce the density . The (Z)  however that will take time probably. 

Edited by Abba

2 hours ago, Abba said:

Is there a schedule for when all lines will resume?

Not that I’m aware of, I’m receiving this information as it becomes available. There’s still a lot of crews unavailable. 

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

The (6) and (7), I believe is also running normally except that there's no Express service in both directions, including the (J) . 

Those lines aren’t running normal, they’re still using the “essential service” supplement.