SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

What if NYC named their rolling stock like London where it's by year?  Here's what the names would be, from 1964 to now using the year they went into production.

R32:  1964 Stock

R38:  1966 Stock

R40:  1967 Stock

R42:  1969 Stock

R44:  1971 Stock

R46:  1975 Stock

R62:  1983 Stock

R62A:  1984 Stock

R68:  1986 Stock

R68A:  1988 Stock

R142/A:  1999 Stock

R143:  2001 Stock

R160A/B:  2005 Stock

R188:  2011 Stock

R179:  2016 Stock

R211:  2020 Stock

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Current Subway Lines and Car Assignments In Active Service:

(1)(6) R62A 

(2)(5) R142

(3) R62

(4) R142 & R142A

(7) R142A/R188 

(A)(C) R46, R179

(D) R68 

(E)(F)(R) R160 

(G) R68 & R68A 

(J) R143/R160/R179 

(L) R143/R160 

(M) R160 

(N)(Q) R46/R68 & R68A/R160

Franklin Av (S) R68

Rockaway Park (S) R46

Subway Lines Suspended Until Further Notice:

(B)(W) 42 St (S)

doesn’t the (G) use some R46 sets ?

37 minutes ago, R179 8258 said:

Does the (J)(Z) have the own fleet because I know the R143 is for the (L) and majority of the R160 is for the (M) so does the (J) takes whatever left from the (M) and uses the R179 ??

The R179 is their own fleet out of ENY (for the (J)). The R160s are shared with the  (M) but it's first calculated to how many on that line. Later, the leftover is  what's left from the (M) , as well as the CBTC R160s on the (L) to be placed on the (J)  . 

Edited by Calvin

6 hours ago, Collin said:

What if NYC named their rolling stock like London where it's by year?  Here's what the names would be, from 1964 to now using the year they went into production.

R32:  1964 Stock

R38:  1966 Stock

R40:  1967 Stock

R42:  1969 Stock

R44:  1971 Stock

R46:  1975 Stock

R62:  1983 Stock

R62A:  1984 Stock

R68:  1986 Stock

R68A:  1988 Stock

R142/A:  1999 Stock

R143:  2001 Stock

R160A/B:  2005 Stock

R188:  2011 Stock

R179:  2016 Stock

R211:  2020 Stock

What would be the S7/S8?

(Nicest looking mass transit vehicles I’ve ever seen - S7/S8.)

London_Underground_S7_Stock_21329_&_2135

Bombardier_S_Stock_Circle_line_Interior_

13 minutes ago, Deucey said:

What would be the S7/S8?

Like NYC, they have two divisions.  The rolling stock is named differently depending on which division it's part of.  The deep tube division (like our A Division) goes by year.  The subsurface division (like our B Division) uses letters.  I converted everything to the deep tube naming convention.

49 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The R179 is their own fleet out of ENY (for the (J)). The R160s are shared with the  (M) but it's first calculated to how many on that line. Later, the leftover is  what's left from the (M) , as well as the CBTC R160s on the (L) to be placed on the (J)  . 

So if the MTA give ENY those 4-Car R211 the R160 from (L) would go the the (J) ? 

55 minutes ago, Collin said:

Like NYC, they have two divisions.  The rolling stock is named differently depending on which division it's part of.  The deep tube division (like our A Division) goes by year.  The subsurface division (like our B Division) uses letters.  I converted everything to the deep tube naming convention.

So you’re calling the S7/S8 the 2011 stock?

3 hours ago, Collin said:

Although for a period of time the sub-surface stock did use the year in addition to a letter, starting with the A60/62, then the C69/77 and finally the D78, before it was dropped again for the S Stock, which should have been the S10 Stock if the old numbering scheme had been continued.

Edited by Elshad

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

I've never set foot in London let alone an S stock, but my god these trains are beautiful.

I unironically think these are the best trains Bombardier has built.

Noisiest thing about those trains was me and my homeboy talking on them with an American ex-pat we met that lived on the UWS.

He didn’t tell us Londoners are like the Japanese regarding talking on trains.

Next trip I’ll take video of the trains so you can hear how quiet they are vs our Bombardiers.

15 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

Does the (J)(Z) have the own fleet because I know the R143 is for the (L) and majority of the R160 is for the (M) so does the (J) takes whatever left from the (M) and uses the R179 ??

They used the R160A-1s from ENYY And from the (C) Line I think (They used R160A-1s before.) and the the R143s came from the (L) to be put in service and the (J) cannot take whatever from the (M) so they can use R179s like think about that for a second.

13 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I've never set foot in London let alone an S stock, but my god these trains are beautiful.

I unironically think these are the best trains Bombardier has built.

11 hours ago, Deucey said:

Noisiest thing about those trains was me and my homeboy talking on them with an American ex-pat we met that lived on the UWS.

He didn’t tell us Londoners are like the Japanese regarding talking on trains.

Next trip I’ll take video of the trains so you can hear how quiet they are vs our Bombardiers.

I've been on those S stock trains and they are great on the inside. Their traction motors are very loud but thats about it. They even have selective door operation for short platforms. 

5 hours ago, Jacob said:

They used the R160A-1s from ENYY And from the (C) Line I think (They used R160A-1s before.) and the the R143s came from the (L) to be put in service and the (J) cannot take whatever from the (M) so they can use R179s like think about that for a second.

Can you please use grammar that makes sense?

My understanding is the R160A-1s are all in ENYY.  Some were at 207th for the (C) starting in 2013, but they were returned to ENYY as the R179's entered service.

My questions are why do R143's sometimes run on the (J), and why haven't R179's run on the (M)?  Now the (M) needs a dedicated fleet compatible with QBL CBTC, but that wasn't the case before.

55 minutes ago, Collin said:

My understanding is the R160A-1s are all in ENYY.  Some were at 207th for the (C) starting in 2013, but they were returned to ENYY as the R179's entered service.

My questions are why do R143's sometimes run on the (J), and why haven't R179's run on the (M)?  Now the (M) needs a dedicated fleet compatible with QBL CBTC, but that wasn't the case before.

In reply to your last question, this is only I guess but...  A lot of (M) train sets get boxed in on the express tracks under QB/Hillside when they are layed up for the night, sometimes all weekend, the 179s are still under warranty so maybe they keep them on the (J) so ENY shops can access them at anytime. 143s on the (J) might be for a similar reason, a lot of 179s might be OOS for warranty work so they use 143s in their place.  

2 hours ago, Collin said:

Sorry for My Grammar mistakes.

The R143s running on the (J) Line Was from the (L) fleet, It can happen if the R143s In the Canarsie Yard goes to the East New York Yard Or It can just go to broadway junction and go to the (J) platform and become a (J) or (Z) Train I think. And the (M) train having R179s I don’t know about that. But the R179 Delivery was short and I don’t know it’s gonna keep delivering more R179 cars. And the R179s are only for the (A)(C)(J) and (Z) lines.

On 5/15/2020 at 5:21 PM, trainfan22 said:

In reply to your last question, this is only I guess but...  A lot of (M) train sets get boxed in on the express tracks under QB/Hillside when they are layed up for the night, sometimes all weekend, the 179s are still under warranty so maybe they keep them on the (J) so ENY shops can access them at anytime. 143s on the (J) might be for a similar reason, a lot of 179s might be OOS for warranty work so they use 143s in their place.  

Close, but no cigar. The (J) uses R143’s as spares and those sets being used are having CBTC Synchronization issues so instead of leaving them idle at Rockaway Parkway yard, they send those sets to East New York for (J) service. Now that the (M) doesn’t go to 96-2av anymore, R160’s have freed up for (J) service and frequent inspections. The R179’s are still under warranty and Jamaica Yard/Fresh pond yard doesn’t have parts or tools necessary to inspect, and repair the cars. 

5 hours ago, VIP said:

Close, but no cigar. The (J) uses R143’s as spares and those sets being used are having CBTC Synchronization issues so instead of leaving them idle at Rockaway Parkway yard, they send those sets to East New York for (J) service. Now that the (M) doesn’t go to 96-2av anymore, R160’s have freed up for (J) service and frequent inspections. The R179’s are still under warranty and Jamaica Yard/Fresh pond yard doesn’t have parts or tools necessary to inspect, and repair the cars. 

Doesn't Fresh Pond have that car barn repair shed from when the (M) was split in two?

6 hours ago, Calvin said:

Speaking of the (M), does it still use 8-car trains during the weekend to Essex St or going back to OPTO 4-cars?

No longer using 8 car trains to Essex. The (M) is back to using OPTO on weekends. 

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Doesn't Fresh Pond have that car barn repair shed from when the (M) was split in two?

Yes they do, however the crews there aren’t R179 qualified to perform maintenance on the said equipment. 

13 hours ago, Abba said:

I was just curious.does anyone know why the (L) runs every 5 min on weekends and during the week it’s every 10. Kind off odd.No?

We have an issue with that too. But it’s alleged that the superintendent felt that weekend ridership would be higher and just kept the same supplement.  

6 hours ago, VIP said:

We have an issue with that too. But it’s alleged that the superintendent felt that weekend ridership would be higher and just kept the same supplement.  

The (7) (M) and (G) lines have this same pattern, with weekend service running more frequently than weekday service, likely to serve people who are not working from home and want to go out.

The (2) and (4) however are running close to normal weekday service Frequencies as opposed to Saturday service like the rest of the system from Monday to Friday

Edited by darkstar8983