SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

When the R62As and R68/As were linked up in the late 90s, why did the MTA paint over the front rollsign windows on the linkbar cars (as well as the #2 end on the coupler cars)? Why did they not paint those on the R62s? (were they linkbarred from the beginning?)

Because they've always had a schizophrenic approach to theses type of minor modifications. 

In the late '80s, A Division cars going through GOH kept their original number plates, while the B Division cars had theirs replaced.  In the early '90s, some Redbirds had their old drop-sash windows replaced with small louvres, but some cars kept the old ones.  Same thing with rollsign cranks in the mid '90s- some cars had them replaced with hex keys, others kept the handcranks until well into the 2000s.  The small windows on certain cars- some R32s and R38s had the louvres screwed shut, others kept them usable.  The R62As had their small windows screwed shut in the early 2000s, while the R62s didn't get those adjusted until about a decade later.

Half-assed small fix-it projects that linger in purgatory for x amount of years are par for the course with this agency....

Edited by R10 2952
added details

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

Because they've always had a schizophrenic approach to theses type of minor modifications. 

In the late '80s, A Division cars going through GOH kept their original number plates, while the B Division cars had theirs replaced.  In the early '90s, some Redbirds had their old drop-sash windows replaced with small louvres, but some cars kept the old ones.  Same thing with rollsign cranks in the mid '90s- some cars had them replaced with hex keys, others kept the handcranks until well into the 2000s.  The small windows on certain cars- some R32s and R38s had the louvres screwed shut, others kept them usable.  The R62As had their small windows screwed shut in the early 2000s, while the R62s didn't get those adjusted until about a decade later.

Half-assed small fix-it projects that linger in purgatory for x amount of years are par for the course with this agency....

Seems to be a similar scenario currently with the R46 lighting, pole and sign destination upgrades. A bunch of random sets received the treatment with some leftover untouched. Same with the R62As. Guessing they're not touching the R62s with this upgrade either (?).

Did hear that some R46 sets have signage hardware that is too old to upgrade, wish there was an elaboration on this. 

Edit: Also with the R160 sets that have seats removed at the end and the flip up seating. All of 11 trainsets were given the treatment and nothing since except those sets being randomly mixed with others. Although these modifications seemed to have a political influence involved (hence the "Cuomo scheme"). 

As well as with what were all of Coney's R160 sets at the time having the interior screens where the art cards are placed installed, including the "Cuomo" sets. None of the original Jamaica sets had these.

Some R143 sets received a door motor upgrade. Some. 

Also anyone notice some of the "Overhauled at our Jamaica / Coney Island Shop" stickers with the check mark logos found at the end of the Cuomo sets have one yard on the exterior and the other inside? 

Edited by 4P3607
Added more unfinished upgrades of theirs.

1 hour ago, 4P3607 said:

As well as with what were all of Coney's R160 sets at the time having the interior screens where the art cards are placed installed, including the "Cuomo" sets. 

Siemens 8848-8852 were overlooked and still retain their art cards. They still have them after the big swap.

Just now, biGC323232 said:

😂..Couldn't been that long ago...Before the tunnel shutdown it wasn't saying that...

you right 😂, not a very long time but it’s been like that for a while now , I think during the tunnel shutdown is when they made the announcement change  

Edited by Maxwell179

On 5/26/2020 at 5:08 PM, Calvin said:

The (Q) seems to have a diverse of fleet from the past few weeks spotted at the Coney Island Co-Ops. Seeing at least 4 R68/As with 7 R46s and 5 R160s on the entire line. The (N) as well, from the aftermath of Jamaica Yard's fleet exchange. 

Actually, the (Q) has more r160s than the (N) line and they only r160B siemens. I think when Jamaica yard has access amount of R160s, they most likely to send some of them back to Coney Island yard on temporary basis. 

On 5/21/2020 at 12:45 AM, Calvin said:

It arrives at the station, but doesn't do a zone change (on the local track). The doors open and close but announces to riders that "This Train is out of customer service, going to storage". It's C.I Yard bound but, the train is checked before moving. 

These trains that terminates at 59 street, they mostly get stored along the Sea beach (N) line.

31 minutes ago, vioreen said:

Why the (1) and (3) never get the Newer Technology trains ?

Cause they don't wanna stock parts for two different fleets at Livonia and 240 St shops. 

Yea, in the Redbird days the (4) and (6) had a mix of Redbirds & 62s, but I think the (4) line's Redbirds & 62 had the same propulsion system and the (6) line Redbirds and the R62A have the same propulsion system.  So I assume they used the same parts. I know at one point cars were assigned to IRT shops by propulsion system, even though one shop would have multiple car fleets.

34 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Cause they don't wanna stock parts for two different fleets at Livonia and 240 St shops. 

Yea, in the Redbird days the (4) and (6) had a mix of Redbirds & 62s, but I think the (4) line's Redbirds & 62 had the same propulsion system and the (6) line Redbirds and the R62A have the same propulsion system.  So I assume they used the same parts. I know at one point cars were assigned to IRT shops by propulsion system, even though one shop would have multiple car fleets.

The R62 and R62A had more horsepower than the older equipment  115-100 IIRC and the parts were not interchangeable as far as I recall. I think you would have to check the data sheets to determine the exact difference between the classes. Carry on. 

Edited by Trainmaster5
Spelling

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Yea, in the Redbird days the (4) and (6) had a mix of Redbirds & 62s, 

The weird thing is I don't even remember seeing Redbirds on the (4).  I've seen several photos of R33s on the Jerome Line in the late '90s, but I'm guessing there weren't too many of them, because whenever I took the (4) back then it was always R62s.  Another unicorn was the R62A (5) train- heard of it, never saw it...

2 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

The R62 and R62A had more horsepower than the older equipment  115-100 IIRC and the parts were not interchangeable as far as I recall. I think you would have to check the data sheets to determine the exact difference between the classes. Carry on. 

Yea the R62/62A have more horsepower than the older IRT SMEE's. I found an data sheet for the 62s but not any of the Redbird car classes. I just assumed at least some of the parts were interchangeable cause for example the R33ML and R62 propulsion sounds the same and some of the under body equipment looks similar. Also its been said that the TA went back to tried and true technology for the R62/62A order after all the problems the R44/46 had, and I just assumed the cars that became the Redbirds got upgraded with similar technology to the 62/62A during GOH.

I should have added a question mark to the second sentence of my post. I know at one point (forgot the exact time period) they did assign IRT cars to shops by propulsion system, but I can't figure out if they followed this practice into the 90s.

1 minute ago, R10 2952 said:

The weird thing is I don't even remember seeing Redbirds on the (4).  I've seen several photos of R33s on the Jerome Line in the late '90s, but I'm guessing there weren't too many of them, because whenever I took the (4) back then it was always R62s.  Another unicorn was the R62A (5) train- heard of it, never saw it...

I rode Redbird (4) trains quite a few times as a kid, I got to ride them on all three Lex Ave lines and the (2)  back then, but never the (7) sadly. I eventually got to ride a redbird on the (7) but it was one of those Mets opening day specials though. I never knew that R62A (5) existed until I started posting on forums like this, prior to the R142s I only seen Redbirds on the (5)..

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Yea the R62/62A have more horsepower than the older IRT SMEE's. I found an data sheet for the 62s but not any of the Redbird car classes. I just assumed at least some of the parts were interchangeable cause for example the R33ML and R62 propulsion sounds the same and some of the under body equipment looks similar. Also its been said that the TA went back to tried and true technology for the R62/62A order after all the problems the R44/46 had, and I just assumed the cars that became the Redbirds got upgraded with similar technology to the 62/62A during GOH.

I should have added a question mark to the second sentence of my post. I know at one point (forgot the exact time period) they did assign IRT cars to shops by propulsion system, but I can't figure out if they followed this practice into the 90s.

I rode Redbird (4) trains quite a few times as a kid, I got to ride them on all three Lex Ave lines and the (2)  back then, but never the (7) sadly. I eventually got to ride a redbird on the (7) but it was one of those Mets opening day specials though. I never knew that R62A (5) existed until I started posting on forums like this, prior to the R142s I only seen Redbirds on the (5)..

My friend would bring that R62A (5) down to Livonia yard daily and my C/R and I would bring it back north to Dyre every afternoon.  R62A equipment was cut and used by the Dyre shuttle service on the midnight tour. It was actually a Pelham train that was loaned to the (5) specifically for the shuttle. At one time there was a (6) crew that made a trip down to Brooklyn Bridge and made a return trip back to Dyre as a (5) . That's how the equipment was swapped out every night. Saved a trip for the transfer crew every night. Carry on. 

Edited by Trainmaster5

For everyone who needs it, here you go!

REAL TIME SERVICE UPDATE!

(3) trains run between 137 St and New Lots Avenue due to track maintenance.

(3) train service is replaced by (2) trains, M7, and M102 buses in between 96 St and 148 St.

All northbound (6) trains skip Castle Hill Av, Zerega Av, Westchester Sq, Middletown Rd and Buhre Av.

(5) train service in between E 180 St and Bowling Green is replace d by (2) and (4) trains.

(4) trains are running local between 125 St and Grand Central

All northbound (7) trains skip 33 St, 40 St, 46 St, 52 St and 69 St.

(7) trains are running in 2 sections, between 34 St and Hunterspoint Av, and between Queensboro Plaza and Main St due to structural rehabilitation at Court Square

(A) trains are running local in between 145 St and 168 St.

(C) trains are not running between 145 St and 168 St

(E) trains are running local in between Queens Plaza and Roosevelt Avenue

(F) trains are running via the (E) line in between Rockefeller Center and Roosevelt Avenue

(N) trains are running local in between DeKalb Avenue and 59 St

26 minutes ago, Bklyn Bound 2 Local said:

For everyone who needs it, here you go!

REAL TIME SERVICE UPDATE!

(3) trains run between 137 St and New Lots Avenue due to track maintenance.

(3) train service is replaced by (2) trains, M7, and M102 buses in between 96 St and 148 St.

All northbound (6) trains skip Castle Hill Av, Zerega Av, Westchester Sq, Middletown Rd and Buhre Av.

(5) train service in between E 180 St and Bowling Green is replace d by (2) and (4) trains.

(4) trains are running local between 125 St and Grand Central

All northbound (7) trains skip 33 St, 40 St, 46 St, 52 St and 69 St.

(7) trains are running in 2 sections, between 34 St and Hunterspoint Av, and between Queensboro Plaza and Main St due to structural rehabilitation at Court Square

(A) trains are running local in between 145 St and 168 St.

(C) trains are not running between 145 St and 168 St

(E) trains are running local in between Queens Plaza and Roosevelt Avenue

(F) trains are running via the (E) line in between Rockefeller Center and Roosevelt Avenue

(N) trains are running local in between DeKalb Avenue and 59 St

This entire post would fit perfectly in the Planned Subway Service Changes thread...

1 hour ago, vioreen said:

Should the (F) line be extended from Jamaica 179 further out into Queens up to Cunningham Park ?

Combined with a rethink of the buses in that area feeding the train, I think it's something worth considering. 

Looking at the bus routes currently on Hillside, (F) stops at 188 Street, Francis Lewis Blvd and Springfield Blvd would allow you to consolidate the buses on north and south of Hillside into one route rather than funneling together to Jamaica.

3 hours ago, vioreen said:

Should the (F) line be extended from Jamaica 179 further out into Queens up to Cunningham Park ?

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Combined with a rethink of the buses in that area feeding the train, I think it's something worth considering. 

Looking at the bus routes currently on Hillside, (F) stops at 188 Street, Francis Lewis Blvd and Springfield Blvd would allow you to consolidate the buses on north and south of Hillside into one route rather than funneling together to Jamaica.

Yes, please. I’ve long been in favor of an (F) extension further down Hillside. With the tail tracks extending as far as they do, that’s probably one of the easiest places to break ground on the extension.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

3 hours ago, vioreen said:

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

13 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Yes, please. I’ve long been in favor of an (F) extension further down Hillside. With the tail tracks extending as far as they do, that’s probably one of the easiest places to break ground on the extension.

I proposed a Queens TramLink which would partially serve as an (F) extension (and maybe you could extend the Streetcar Shuttle to 179th)

See here for the proposal:

1 minute ago, vioreen said:

Do you think this expansion should be underground or elevated?

Judging by the track elevation north of 179 Street - Jamaica on the inner tracks, there's no reason why it shouldn't be an elevated extension. Note that the outer tracks there, which go down to a lower level, were always meant to be for relay purposes.