SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 6/2/2020 at 5:41 PM, Calvin said:

They'll still do phase I of reopening, Some stores will still open

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if the flip seats on the 142/As and select 160 will be removed to avoid contact with one another. 

Also, other R160A-1 on the (C) is 8329-8332 / 8341-8344

Edited by Calvin
2 on the C: 8329-2, 8341-4, 8357-60, 8369-72

If moving the (F) to 53rd is successful, would it be possible to have a more frequent <F> service? Here's how I could see it happening, not sure if it would be best to do though:

- both expresses run via 53rd so the (F) can pick up more for the (E) 

-this allows the (F) to run more TPH, so we can go for 18 tph (F) / 12 tph (E) with CBTC

- (M) service is limited by the Williamsburg bridge and myrtle to 10 tph, so there isn't an issue of conflict on 6th Av

- 18 tph can be split into 10 tph (F) local and 8 tph <F> express

Any ideas if this would be practical?

38 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

If moving the (F) to 53rd is successful, would it be possible to have a more frequent <F> service? Here's how I could see it happening, not sure if it would be best to do though:

-this allows the (F) to run more TPH, so we can go for 18 tph (F) / 12 tph (E) with CBTC

- (M) service is limited by the Williamsburg bridge and myrtle to 10 tph, so there isn't an issue of conflict on 6th Av

Unless they plan to have the (M) run overnight on 63rd Street, I don't see the sense of this swap.  Why is the MTA even considering a plan that would still require the (F) to stay on 63rd for late nights and weekends? It will just create confusion for the riders.

14 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Unless they plan to have the (M) run overnight on 63rd Street, I don't see the sense of this swap.  Why is the MTA even considering a plan that would still require the (F) to stay on 63rd for late nights and weekends? It will just create confusion for the riders.

Exactly. Unless they plan on having the (M) end at 21st St during weekends and overnights.

58 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

If they do keep this swap, they should make the (M) local to Forest Hills at all times except overnight and have the (R)(W) swap northern terminals so that the (W) becomes the part time QBL local.

http://www.news12.com/story/42215169/mta-officials-hold-news-conference-as-nyc-prepares-for-phase-1-reopening-next-week-watch-live?fbclid=IwAR3VDJgh7zIZ8HVoC5KxOOBboKC5lX_YRP7EE_5_anVCuG_iw20jUe9Fazg

These are the planned steps following Monday,  June 8th. Return of ridership with improved health tips. 

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I'd say yes. Though I'd do this a bit differently: 

18 (E); 12 (F) via 53rd. 6 TPH worth of (E) Trains will run Express to 179th along with these (F) Trains in Question. 

8 TPH worth of (M) Service should run full time via 63rd with 6-7 TPH worth of (F) trains that'll run local in Queens and as <F>'s in Brooklyn. 

36 minutes ago, Collin said:

Yet they have no plan as to which phase overnight service returns.  Why are politicians so keen on ending it forever?

Some of you forget we are still dealing with a world where everything has to be cleaned constantly. It's established that not just the subways but other jobs and environments will not be operating near normal anytime soon.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

9 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Are they still planning to swap the (F)‘s and (M)’s East River crossings? I do think it’s practical, but my concern is with the (M) running 10 tph with 8-car trains, it will be a significant cut in service to the 63rd St corridor. However, there will be much less merging near Queens Plaza with only the (M) and (R) merging at 36th St.

6 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I'd say yes. Though I'd do this a bit differently: 

18 (E); 12 (F) via 53rd. 6 TPH worth of (E) Trains will run Express to 179th along with these (F) Trains in Question. 

8 TPH worth of (M) Service should run full time via 63rd with 6-7 TPH worth of (F) trains that'll run local in Queens and as <F>'s in Brooklyn. 

Those (F) trains that run local should be called (V) trains. It will be very confusing to some (F) trains local in Queens via the 63rd St tunnel and others express via 53rd.

7 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

If they do keep this swap, they should make the (M) local to Forest Hills at all times except overnight and have the (R)(W) swap northern terminals so that the (W) becomes the part time QBL local.

Agreed. If the (M) is rerouted to 63rd, then it would be better to have the same service in the 63rd St tunnel on weekends as weekdays. 

6 hours ago, Collin said:

Yet they have no plan as to which phase overnight service returns.  Why are politicians so keen on ending it forever?

How do you know they want to end it forever? Personally, I’d like for trains to be cleaned  and sterilized to minimize the chances of catching not just Corona, but also the flu and other contagions if the trains aren’t cleared of homeless people. And bed bugs...yup, homeless people have them. 

6 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Are they still planning to swap the (F)‘s and (M)’s East River crossings? I do think it’s practical, but my concern is with the (M) running 10 tph with 8-car trains, it will be a significant cut in service to the 63rd St corridor. However, there will be much less merging near Queens Plaza with only the (M) and (R) merging at 36th St.

Well, the merge count remains the same:

• (E)(F): 36 Street ⟶ 5 Avenue/53 Street
  • (M)(R): Queens Plaza ⟶ 36 Street

I don’t know if 5 Avenue/53 Street is better since the junction is run like Broadway’s 34 Street–Herald Square switches; the (F) ((N)) has to switch between the (E) ((Q)) and (M) ((R)) tracks. Is that curve even long enough to act as a pocket track for the (F) while it’s waiting for the track ahead to clear?

24 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Well, the merge count remains the same:

• (E)(F): 36 Street ⟶ 5 Avenue/53 Street
  • (M)(R): Queens Plaza ⟶ 36 Street

I don’t know if 5 Avenue/53 Street is better since the junction is run like Broadway’s 34 Street–Herald Square switches; the (F) ((N)) has to switch between the (E) ((Q)) and (M) ((R)) tracks. Is that curve even long enough to act as a pocket track for the (F) while it’s waiting for the track ahead to clear?

Actually it’s one merge less. Now you don’t have an (E) and (M) merge 

10 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Agreed. If the (M) is rerouted to 63rd, then it would be better to have the same service in the 63rd St tunnel on weekends as weekdays. 

By that logic, (R) should run to Continental overnights so (N) stays on the bridge, and the current (M) should never run to Chambers St on weekends.

(I think people will catch on if (F) runs over 63rd St overnights.)

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Actually it’s one merge less. Now you don’t have an (E) and (M) merge 

Ah! right on! how'd i forget that merge. It's as bad as the (N) merge and split to share the 60 Street tunnel with the (R). good to eliminate

5 minutes ago, Deucey said:

By that logic, (R) should run to Continental overnights so (N) stays on the bridge

They’re not exactly comparable though. All of the tunnel route is a superset of the Manhattan Bridge route. It’s basically a local-from-express change and logically a part of the same corridor (though it’s one hell of a physical shortcut that even the IND’s deliberate efforts doesn’t beat).

63 Street, however, has a different set of stops from 53 Street. They are logically and physically different corridors.

48 minutes ago, CenSin said:

They’re not exactly comparable though. All of the tunnel route is a superset of the Manhattan Bridge route. It’s basically a local-from-express change and logically a part of the same corridor (though it’s one hell of a physical shortcut that even the IND’s deliberate efforts doesn’t beat).

63 Street, however, has a different set of stops from 53 Street. They are logically and physically different corridors.

63rd St is one of those corridors where no matter what you do with the service patterns, it will always be a mess in terms of switching and delays.

If they do want to switch the (M) and (F) on both 53rd and 63rd St corridors, that's going to do nothing but cause confusion. CenSin is right, even though 53rd St is "technically" a shortcut to the Queens Blvd Line, it's a big difference from when the (N) runs via Lower Manhattan.