SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Actually it’s one merge less. Now you don’t have an (E) and (M) merge 

And you’d also no longer have the (E) and (F) merging on the express tracks outside 36th St. There’s always delays there.

6 hours ago, Deucey said:

By that logic, (R) should run to Continental overnights so (N) stays on the bridge, and the current (M) should never run to Chambers St on weekends.

(I think people will catch on if (F) runs over 63rd St overnights.)

Right. Overnights via 63rd wouldn’t be a problem. It would be no different than the (N) running via Montague overnights. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

Today I rode the (4) to the BX to see if trains are using the express track to bypass 138th S/B.... they are using the local track.

Took the (4) to 59th to transfer to the (R) to 42nd Street and walked to 8th Ave and was gonna wait there until either an R160 (A) or (C) train showed up, the FIRST (C) train to show up was a 160!

Of course I got on it and rode to Canal. As my (C) train is sitting in Canal I hear that Astom Onix population creeping into the station... An R160 (A) train was pulling into the station!!!!!! Of course I transferred to that 160 (A) train and rode to Broadway Junction. 

I thought about riding it all the way out to Lefferts but 1) I didn't feel like it 2) on weekends the (A) has LONG layovers at Lefferts and 3) I'm pretty sure I already rode an R160 out to Lefferts during an (F) to Lefferts G.O many years ago.

All R68s and R68As are laid up at Coney Island-Stillwell Av Yard showing the (B) sign on the front and rollsigns are switched to Bronx-Bedford Park Blvd and Brighton Beach as a (Q) -. Coney Island.  

Edited by Calvin

1 minute ago, bwwnyc123 said:

100% R68/R68A (B) Trains are back.  Just like how (D) 100% R68. Starting on Monday all of the Subway Lines will be very interesting to see.

Everything but the 42nd St Shuttle. That 1-stop ride is suspended till the end of this year. 

Few things I've noticed in the subway system now: 

-Social distancing marks have been placed on select stations showing a footprint both left and right

- After zone change at terminals, partial close is no longer done, such as Coney Island, Astoria-Ditmars etc.

Was reading an article about subway ridership earlier this evening in the Daily News. I saw where Gridlock Sam was predicting about 50% of the riders would return by years end. There’s obviously a serious disconnect between the “experts “ and the railfan community.To read some posts you would think that everything is going back to normal on 6/8 .  I don’t know who’s really on the ball but I think the business community has a bead on the next 6 months. Let’s look at the projected number of job losses, temporary and permanent, before we go overboard on the subway and railroad return. IIRC subway ridership was higher in 2010 than in 2015 or later. I’m not sure if the article is still online but it compared the pre-and post pandemic numbers in selected cities worldwide. Cities where social distancing and masks are mandatory. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see all New Yorkers doing the right thing. Just my observation. Carry on.

4 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Was reading an article about subway ridership earlier this evening in the Daily News. I saw where Gridlock Sam was predicting about 50% of the riders would return by years end. There’s obviously a serious disconnect between the “experts “ and the railfan community.To read some posts you would think that everything is going back to normal on 6/8 .  I don’t know who’s really on the ball but I think the business community has a bead on the next 6 months. Let’s look at the projected number of job losses, temporary and permanent, before we go overboard on the subway and railroad return. IIRC subway ridership was higher in 2010 than in 2015 or later. I’m not sure if the article is still online but it compared the pre-and post pandemic numbers in selected cities worldwide. Cities where social distancing and masks are mandatory. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see all New Yorkers doing the right thing. Just my observation. Carry on.

I've been hearing that a lot of UES mothers and actors have been tearing each other apart on Facebook, or getting shunned out of state. From what I have heard, protests in Queens have been peaceful while a Brooklyn Resident had to negotiate peace with the NYPD, and residents up in the Bronx scared off protesters. We're merely waiting for Phase 1 of the City because Long Island is already in Phase II.

Long Island,  meaning Nassau and Suffolk counties, is entering Phase 2 this upcoming  Wednesday to set the record straight. I'll let my fellow posters try to decipher the rest of the gibberish posted above. BTW I'm sure that anyone who can read a map or history book knows that Brooklyn and Queens are also on Long Island. I'm not sure what Phase or planet this particular person inhabits.  Carry on. 

19 hours ago, Calvin said:

Few things I've noticed in the subway system now:

- After zone change at terminals, partial close is no longer done, such as Coney Island, Astoria-Ditmars etc.

Same up at Woodlawn Cemetery and Pelham Bay Park; they must have given up on that practice quickly,

3 hours ago, vioreen said:

When the R179 goes back to service, maybe some extra ones can go on the (Q) line since no r160s on that line.

Nah, if the (6) can be 100% NTT and then become 100% SMEE again, so can the (Q)

31 minutes ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

Two questions:

1. How many Phase II R32s are left on property?

2 pairs (4 cars) apart of the Transit Museum fleet.

59 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Pretty cool to see that the Siemens R160 are used on other lines than the (N)(Q) and (W) . There's now the (E)(F) and (R) and now the (A)

It seems weird to see the Siemens R160Bs on any route that is not the (N) for some reason.

Edited by darkstar8983

18 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Long Island,  meaning Nassau and Suffolk counties, is entering Phase 2 this upcoming  Wednesday to set the record straight. I'll let my fellow posters try to decipher the rest of the gibberish posted above. BTW I'm sure that anyone who can read a map or history book knows that Brooklyn and Queens are also on Long Island. I'm not sure what Phase or planet this particular person inhabits.  Carry on. 

Long Island tends to grouped based on the LIRR station they live in or Fare Zone. A lot of new residents do not Transfer at Jamaica or even Woodside for the Subway and merely want to head into Manhattan as fast as possible. Over the past decade the LIRR has been marketing themselves as direct service into Penn Station and dread that their line might be cut once East Side Access is completed and having to transfer at Jamaica for another train to Penn or Grand Central. The Railroad Employees do not mention the buses and rails at either Jamaica or Woodside. They go with the assumption that people will take the subway at Atlantic Avenue-Barclay's Center in Downtown Brooklyn, or the same (2)(3) Lines at Penn Station.