SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 6/6/2020 at 10:48 PM, Calvin said:

Few things I've noticed in the subway system now: 

-Social distancing marks have been placed on select stations showing a footprint both left and right

- After zone change at terminals, partial close is no longer done, such as Coney Island, Astoria-Ditmars etc.

Partial close was done at Rockaway Parkway on the (L) today.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During corona, the MTA shut down the (B)(C)(W)(Z) along with the whole, "Essential Only" thing but Washington DC shut down one station for every worker who got corona. And it was randomized as well. It got to the point where lines like the silver line, which only had 5 stops on it's own, had no purpose in running at all. What the hell, DC?  

I have an honest question for you posters about subway,  bus,  and railroad ridership in these troubled times. If the (MTA) website clearly states that ridership is for essential and Phase 1 workers what's the justification for so many people who don't fall into either category to be using public transportation at all ? I've seen TV news reports,  spoken to essential workers,  read posts on the forum,  and talked with Transit employees and the answers are all over the place. Let me make myself clear upfront. Because of my age and personal experience I am not your typical poster or rider. I'm a Suffolk county resident now who,  except for an emergency,  has no desire to use public transportation anywhere in the NYC metropolitan area. I don't have to travel except to take my wife to work.  She's an essential worker employed less than 2 miles away. Most of my younger family members are working from home in NYC, Nassau and Suffolk. What I've picked up is anecdotal from active Transit employees and my fellow posters. Some of my former colleagues have been quarantined because of the virus. One has died from the virus. The assumption is that most of them were infected by the general public ridership. If I was still an active employee l definitely would have no love for the non-essential ridership who might unwittingly put me and my family at risk. I watched the recent news about the nationwide protests and focused on the mask use issue. We've had some local protests in the City and on the Island where some people ignored the common sense mask rules altogether. Likewise I'm reading posts on the forum about bus and subway service and equipment and I have to ask myself why is anyone who isn't an essential or Phase 1 worker putting themselves and my coworkers at risk ? Personally I'd be more inclined to justify the protesters reasoning over that of the casual rider. That's just my opinion but I want to hear the reasoning from the other side. No hard feelings either way.  Carry on.

Most people are still riding the MTA Subways, Railroads  (LIRR & MNR) and Buses etc. because they are also public transportation which is also part funded by us Taxpayers that work so everyone still has the right to use public transportation if you need it for personal or other reasons.

Edited by bwwnyc123

Most people are not still riding public transit.  After all, ridership is down 90%.  But I agree that anyone has the right to use public transit if they need it, given that it is taxpayer funded.  It's not legally enforceable to ban certain people from it.

5 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I have an honest question for you posters about subway,  bus,  and railroad ridership in these troubled times. If the (MTA) website clearly states that ridership is for essential and Phase 1 workers what's the justification for so many people who don't fall into either category to be using public transportation at all ? I've seen TV news reports,  spoken to essential workers,  read posts on the forum,  and talked with Transit employees and the answers are all over the place. Let me make myself clear upfront. Because of my age and personal experience I am not your typical poster or rider. I'm a Suffolk county resident now who,  except for an emergency,  has no desire to use public transportation anywhere in the NYC metropolitan area. I don't have to travel except to take my wife to work.  She's an essential worker employed less than 2 miles away. Most of my younger family members are working from home in NYC, Nassau and Suffolk. What I've picked up is anecdotal from active Transit employees and my fellow posters. Some of my former colleagues have been quarantined because of the virus. One has died from the virus. The assumption is that most of them were infected by the general public ridership. If I was still an active employee l definitely would have no love for the non-essential ridership who might unwittingly put me and my family at risk. I watched the recent news about the nationwide protests and focused on the mask use issue. We've had some local protests in the City and on the Island where some people ignored the common sense mask rules altogether. Likewise I'm reading posts on the forum about bus and subway service and equipment and I have to ask myself why is anyone who isn't an essential or Phase 1 worker putting themselves and my coworkers at risk ? Personally I'd be more inclined to justify the protesters reasoning over that of the casual rider. That's just my opinion but I want to hear the reasoning from the other side. No hard feelings either way.  Carry on.

Most people don’t have any other modes of transportation and can’t afford or straight up don’t want to pay for an Uber and Lyft when they know that the trains and buses are right here still working 

2 hours ago, Collin said:

Most people are not still riding public transit.  After all, ridership is down 90%.  But I agree that anyone has the right to use public transit if they need it, given that it is taxpayer funded.  It's not legally enforceable to ban certain people from it.

I have to agree with you that if I have to use it I would too. The thing that bothers me about the whole process is the casual user, the people that have no particular reason for riding except for their own pleasure. Those who make it harder to do the right thing by social distancing. Those who have to see a particular type subway car or bus on a particular route or their lives are incomplete. With the recent protests ( many without masks) and those who have cabin fever I'm afraid that the slow reopening of the area may grind to a halt or be reversed as the number of virus cases begins to grow again. It's annoying to me that some people are so selfish that they overlook the big picture. My friends and relatives in Florida and NC are getting a taste of the coronavirus resurgence. I hope that we New Yorkers are smarter than the others. I want this over ASAP but it seems that not everyone has the same goal.  Carry on. 

48 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

Most people don’t have any other modes of transportation and can’t afford or straight up don’t want to pay for an Uber and Lyft when they know that the trains and buses are right here still working 

You realize that I am speaking about the casual ridership in general ? 

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

The thing that bothers me about the whole process is the casual user, the people that have no particular reason for riding except for their own pleasure. Those who make it harder to do the right thing by social distancing. Those who have to see a particular type subway car or bus on a particular route or their lives are incomplete.

I think you're greatly overstating the number of casual users, specifically railfans.  While there are many of them on this forum, It's a tiny fraction of those who ride the subway in general.  As long as they follow the same rules as everyone else, I don't see a problem with it.  I also think there's a grey area as to who is a casual user.  Obviously that means railfans, but what about those who are riding the trains to go to a park, or to see their friends?  

23 minutes ago, Collin said:

I think you're greatly overstating the number of casual users, specifically railfans.  While there are many of them on this forum, It's a tiny fraction of those who ride the subway in general.  As long as they follow the same rules as everyone else, I don't see a problem with it.  I also think there's a grey area as to who is a casual user.  Obviously that means railfans, but what about those who are riding the trains to go to a park, or to see their friends?  

I certainly hope that I am overstating the numbers. Although I worded my original comment towards the forum users they were not really the point I was trying to make. I meant no offense.  What I'm asking everyone to do is look at the (MTA) website and what it says at the top of the page. That's what I'm trying to understand. I'm out here in Suffolk county and all of the mini buses have " Essential Riders Only " on the destination signage. They don't want casual riders,  period and the buses only stop to let people get off except near the LIRR stops.  What I'm getting at is the Governor, the (MTA) and the county execs and the general population aren't quite on the same page.  That's what confuses me about the transportation situation.  What is happening in Nassau county or on NJT?  Seems to be a mixed message IMO. Thanks for your clarification.  Carry on. 

3 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I have to agree with you that if I have to use it I would too. The thing that bothers me about the whole process is the casual user, the people that have no particular reason for riding except for their own pleasure. Those who make it harder to do the right thing by social distancing. Those who have to see a particular type subway car or bus on a particular route or their lives are incomplete. With the recent protests ( many without masks) and those who have cabin fever I'm afraid that the slow reopening of the area may grind to a halt or be reversed as the number of virus cases begins to grow again. It's annoying to me that some people are so selfish that they overlook the big picture. My friends and relatives in Florida and NC are getting a taste of the coronavirus resurgence. I hope that we New Yorkers are smarter than the others. I want this over ASAP but it seems that not everyone has the same goal.  Carry on. 

That is why it bothers me seeing all the fanning videos on Youtube. If they are from a transit employee who has to be using the system that is fine, but people should not go into the subway to railfan at this time. I don't care if the R32s come out for one day. They are my favorite cars. I am not going to put myself and other people at risk.

18 minutes ago, Abba said:

If i wear my mask what’s the problem? Plenty of guys are without masks or not on their nose. I always wear mine in the subway and bus.

Masks may help, but they're not surefire protection. After all, hands can easily spread contagion.

The issue also goes beyond the individual, particularly since an asymptomatic person can spread it to someone in a high-risk group.

25 minutes ago, Lex said:

Masks may help, but they're not surefire protection. After all, hands can easily spread contagion.

The issue also goes beyond the individual, particularly since an asymptomatic person can spread it to someone in a high-risk group.

I would think of masks as birth control for coronavirus. You can stack the odds against the virus, but the only surefire way to avoid disaster is abstinence.

Edited by CenSin

The TA shutting down the system every night for cleaning has made me feel much more comfortable riding the system during the pandemic. Also, they are now giving away hand sanitizer at the token booths in the subway.

Also, my personal observation, there's defiantly an uptick in causal riders using the system, some (A) trains are even SRO. Today, the first few cars of an Far Rock (A) I saw pull into Broadway Junction was SRO... and this was 2PM in the afternoon! No way all those ppl was essential workers. I'm seeing a lot of teenagers and such riding the system, even whole families like kids with their mother, etc. When I rode out to Far Rock today there was some ppl in Beach attire waiting at Broad Channel for the shuttle to Rock Park, so ppl are heading to the beach even during the pandemic. 

While I haven't seen Showtime dancers in a while, there's still beggers on the subway, today some author was selling his books on the train.

As for railfans still fanning even during the pandemic... I can see why fans will come out to fan R160 (A) trains since that's pretty rare and something different. But fanners who been fanning regularly the whole time since the pandemic started :facepalm: Prior to the 179s being pulled from service for a second time, the car assignments and such were pretty much the same as they were before the pandemic, so their really wasn't a reason to be on the Subway if you didn't have to. Perhaps those fanners are addicted to buses and trains like a drug fiend. 

y'all gotta stop with this non essential shamming shit, People could be using the system with their kids to go somewhere important. who gives a shit just mind your business and get to where you got to go. since Phase I reopening ridership went up Plus its summer, No one is staying inside.

people need to curb their ego.  When this essential vs non essential shit started people started showing their ego shitting on those who lost their jobs.

Edited by R32 3838

37 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

y'all gotta stop with this non essential shamming shit, People could be using the system with their kids to go somewhere important. who gives a shit just mind your business and get to where you got to go. since Phase I reopening ridership went up Plus its summer, No one is staying inside.

people need to curb their ego.  When this essential vs non essential shit started people started showing their ego shitting on those who lost their jobs.

Then that would be considered essential (just not an essential worker, but an essential need instead), so that point's moot. Also, I don't see people shitting on other people who's lost their jobs. Not here, not even on social media.