SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Even though we're now at Phase 2, ridership is still VERY light. Looks like there's no need for the TA to increase service, for now.

dude you Buggin, I rode the (L) this morning towards Broadway Junction and the train leaving it was packed and this was around 7am, the (A) had more people in it vs. phase 1. The (L) obviously needs more service so people can social distance. the (C) is the only line that is very easy to socially distance yourself. that's why the experts, the Mayor and governor wants (MTA) to run full service so people won't to close to eachother. that's the point of stopping the spread. and I counted atleast 15 people not wearing masks in the subway.

every B division line except the (L) is normal. the (L) is still on a 7-10 min headway since the (J)(Z) is using more R143's and the (C) is using 2 R160's from ENY.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

dude you Buggin, I rode the (L) this morning towards Broadway Junction and the train leaving it was packed and this was around 7am, the (A) had more people in it vs. phase 1. The (L) obviously needs more service so people can social distance. the (C) is the only line that is very easy to socially distance yourself. that's why the experts, the Mayor and governor wants (MTA) to run full service so people won't to close to eachother. that's the point of stopping the spread. and I counted atleast 15 people not wearing masks in the subway.

every B division line except the (L) is normal. the (L) is still on a 7-10 min headway since the (J)(Z) is using more R143's and the (C) is using 2 R160's from ENY.

I rode the (4) N/B from Utica to Union Square, ridership was light the whole ride, normally the (4) is crushloaded by the time it leaves Fulton Street.

The Union Square station itself was dead and wasn't nearly as busy as it normally is, transfered there to the (W) which was empty the whole ride too.

I took the (A) home during rush hour, pretty much everyone in my car had a seat. That's UNHEARD of for the (A) during rush hour during normal times.

The (L) is my home line and the only time I rode it where it's been SRO during the pandemic is when they have that 24 minute headway shuttle bus G.O. Ridership been fairly light otherwise.

They probably aren't going to increase (L) service until those Hipsters who make up the bulk of the ridership between Wilson and Bedford return to work in the masses.

On 6/21/2020 at 8:36 PM, Coney Island Av said:

the (D) and (F) (the local) would most likely be on par with each other in regards to travel time between 34th-CI. this is because similarly to the (F), the (D) zig zags, curves, and has more stops on West End than the (N) on Sea Beach (albeit only slightly less than the (Q) on Brighton), and doesn't fully go express until 36 St. 

I was surprised to see the (D) and (F) on par with each other. But I guess between zigzagging West End Line, the time it takes just to get to 36th St and DeKalb Junction, I can see why the (D) is not that fast a ride to Midtown. 

23 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

I thought that person (from last year, not years ago) said the <F> was fastest due to no bridge interlining and limited stops.

The (N) is the fastest line to Manhattan. But the <F> may be the faster service for those very reasons. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The (C) and (F) are also longer headways. I took an (F) could not social distance if you wanted a seat.

Edited by Abba

9 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I was surprised to see the (D) and (F) on par with each other. But I guess between zigzagging West End Line, the time it takes just to get to 36th St and DeKalb Junction, I can see why the (D) is not that fast a ride to Midtown.

I wrote a whole draft post about relatives travel times, but scrapped the whole thing yesterday. I had a trove of GPS data to back up my claims but I wasn’t sure I wanted to go back in there to crunch the numbers to be more specific.

I’ll agree about the (D) and (F) for sure. The West End is probably key to the slowdown given that the (N) is about 3~4 minutes faster (my rush hour estimate) going down Sea Beach. But the (N) can be a crap shoot due to interlining and regularly performs the same as a (Q) (which also beats the (D)). The AM <F> is on par with the (B)(Q) combination which together I would rank as the fastest barring the return of the <NX>… I believe one of my (N) trips which skipped all the local stations between 59 Street and Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue took less than 35 minutes.

Edited by CenSin

59 minutes ago, CenSin said:

I wrote a whole draft post about relatives travel times, but scrapped the whole thing yesterday. I had a trove of GPS data to back up my claims but I wasn’t sure I wanted to go back in there to crunch the numbers to be more specific.

I’ll agree about the (D) and (F) for sure. The West End is probably key to the slowdown given that the (N) is about 3~4 minutes faster (my rush hour estimate) going down Sea Beach. But the (N) can be a crap shoot due to interlining and regularly performs the same as a (Q) (which also beats the (D)). The AM <F> is on par with the (B)(Q) combination which together I would rank as the fastest barring the return of the <NX>… I believe one of my (N) trips which skipped all the local stations between 59 Street and Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue took less than 35 minutes.

It’s also interesting that the (Q) is faster, given that the (D) has an express run between 36th St and DeKalb Junction. The interlining does mess up the (N) though.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

It’s also interesting that the (Q) is faster, given that the (D) has an express run between 36th St and DeKalb Junction. The interlining does mess up the (N) though.

i think the reason why the (Q) is faster is because while it is local, it has less curves, the stops on Brighton are more spread out than on West End, and it is more of a direct shot into Midtown than the (D). also don't forget that it skips more stops than the (D) in Manhattan (the (D) only skips 14th and 23rd between Dekalb and 34th, by contrast, the (Q) skips Prince, 8th, 23rd, and 28th). 

26 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

i think the reason why the (Q) is faster is because while it is local, it has less curves, the stops on Brighton are more spread out than on West End, and it is more of a direct shot into Midtown than the (D). also don't forget that it skips more stops than the (D) in Manhattan (the (D) only skips 14th and 23rd between Dekalb and 34th, by contrast, the (Q) skips Prince, 8th, 23rd, and 28th). 

After the Brighton Line, the Culver Line is about as straight as it gets of the four lines. The service traveling over the Sea Beach Line is usually express in Brooklyn and Manhattan so the (N) is practically the all-around best option with the (Q) as a close runner-up. Only in very special cases can you get a better ride (e.g.: you can wake up and get to the the station to catch one of the two AM <F> or you have computed the most reliable time to utilize the (Q)(B) combo).

Edited by CenSin

36 minutes ago, B61In2002 said:

how different do you think service would be if the Dyre Av line became a busway?

Regular <5> White Plains Road express to/from Gun Hill Road. Some of the buses using the roundabout highway routes or Boston Road would get a straight shot down the middle of the Bronx (especially from Co-Op City and Westchester). East 180 Street would have a through bus station a la Jamaica LIRR.

1 hour ago, B61In2002 said:

how different do you think service would be if the Dyre Av line became a busway?

Interesting you should ask, because back when the  TA first began to look at taking over the line, there was a plan to turn it into an express truck highway, with a BRT-like service stopping at the former NYW&B stations.

2 minutes ago, RapidoNewLook said:

Interesting you should ask, because back when the  TA first began to look at taking over the line, there was a plan to turn it into an express truck highway, with a BRT-like service stopping at the former NYW&B stations.

ohhh cool! yeah the 5 only makes a few stops on the entire line, and a conversion into a busway would be more suited for the passangers along the line, since the capacity could be better utilized there. If it did become a busway in the future, do you think it could add stops & have an SBS service (if the demand is there).

4 hours ago, B61In2002 said:

ohhh cool! yeah the 5 only makes a few stops on the entire line, and a conversion into a busway would be more suited for the passangers along the line, since the capacity could be better utilized there. If it did become a busway in the future, do you think it could add stops & have an SBS service (if the demand is there).

I doubt the (MTA) would consider that in the near future, especially with the COVID situation around. But if they did, I'm sure SBS would be utilized, or maybe they'd even keep the service within the fare paid zone (like the subway, with turnstiles etc.) As for new stations, it definitely would be an option where the demand is there, such as at Allerton or Bronxdale Avenues, but as far as I know, the area isn't really densely populated enough for too many new stops. That being said, I am not too familiar with the area, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. 

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

President Street and Franklin Ave will get a name change. Announcements and a new map will come out later.

MTA: WAHHH! No money!

Also MTA: We’re doing an unnecessary name change (which requires spending money replacing signs, maps, and updating electronic displays)

19 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Also MTA: We’re doing an unnecessary name change (which requires spending money replacing signs, maps, and updating electronic displays)

Not only is the name unnecessary, it also makes the station names way too long.  And with respect to the 2 and 5, you put in place two stations in a row with the same destination.  For this reason alone, the name change should only go to Franklin Ave, which seems to be closer to the school anyway.

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

1 hour ago, mrsman said:

Not only is the name unnecessary, it also makes the station names way too long.  And with respect to the 2 and 5, you put in place two stations in a row with the same destination.  For this reason alone, the name change should only go to Franklin Ave, which seems to be closer to the school anyway.

Your statements would hold merit if this had been the MTA's doing.

On 12/6/2019 at 10:51 AM, Mysterious2train said:

The state legislature passed a bill this year requiring the MTA to add "Medgar Evers College" to the names of Franklin Avenue and President St. It was sponsored by Senator Zellnor Myrie and Assemblywoman Diane Richardson who represent the area. The SubwayTime and myMTA arrival apps already reflect the change. 

Looks like we'll need a refresher...

54 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Despite the covid-19 outbreak, the Rockaway Park Shuttle will run full length trains to/from Rockaway Blvd starting the 4th of July weekend. 

53 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Has there ever been a proposal to do this full time? (Running to Rockaway Blvd that is.)

Leave the Rockaway Park Shuttle alone. Having it run to Rockaway Boulevard full-time would choke up the junction big time due to the train having to be fumigated and then by it needing to take the middle track to relay. You will effectively f*** up (A) service even further by doing this during rush hours, as you'll effectively block trains in both directions with the required moves when headways are the tightest and where dwell times are especially critical.

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth