SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the 8 car  R32 got sent out again from ENY Yard today it was spotted by me today the number was #3778 idk if it was a school car again but I guess it was I love how it was signed up as a (J) tho the danm thing was flying on the exp track at  gates av today brings back memories.

Edited by Ultimategamer12c

1 hour ago, Maxwell179 said:

is there a specific reason why none of the R143’s or 4-car R160’s don’t have Siemens motors like the one of the R160B’s ? 

There was a set of R143s refitted with Siemens populsion prior to the R160 order, eventually, they put back the Adtranz populsion back in that R143 set.

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Honestly now, that college is not that important to be renaming two whole (let alone consecutive) subway stations.....

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Tell the lawmakers. The MTA's just following orders.

The politicians are just doing what they normally do; offering half-hearted, patronizing, token gestures in the hope that people will be distracted from the real issues.

As if renaming a subway station is really going to stop all those cops who think they're above the law and treat communities of color like second-class citizens.

23 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

The politicians are just doing what they normally do; offering half-hearted, patronizing, token gestures in the hope that people will be distracted from the real issues.

As if renaming a subway station is really going to stop all those cops who think they're above the law and treat communities of color like second-class citizens.

It seems to me that you're thinking this only came about at all after George Floyd's death.

The legislation predates the pandemic.

(This is not to downplay just how serious the man's death is, nor is it meant to downplay the fact that we've allowed police forces across the country to become quasi-military organizations that act with impunity.)

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

Still not as bad as folks in Texas...

https://www.tmz.com/2020/06/26/master-bedroom-canceled-houston-realtors-texas-slavery-connotation-primary-bedroom/

7 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Not going into the politics of it, just for the sake of transit operations, it is not a good move.  Legislature requires it, so it has to be done.  But we can still criticize this legislation as being unnecessary for many reasons.

But if you're doing it, it makes no sense whatsoever to do it to two stations.  As far as I'm aware no other college has two stations based on the map.  Even if there is a good reason to apply the name to Franklin, I can't justify doing it to President as well.  It's further from the campus and it only meets two of the four lines that already go to Franklin and Franklin is an express station and even has a transfer to S.

City College is closer to 135th on (B) and (C) then the 137th-City College station on (1) .  Perhaps it isn't named on the IND because it is across a park from the campus, but this would be a good choice.

While the main/older buildings of NYU are closest to 8th street, there are some parts of campus that are closer to W4th, yet NYU is only applied to 8th street.  The law school, the Kimmel student center, and the library are all closer to W4th street.

NYU and City College are far bigger and also have good reason to have two stations (on two totally separate lines [and systems]).  Not saying that they should go through the expense now, but it would be more sensible to give NYU and City College two stations over Medgar Evars College.

5 hours ago, mrsman said:

City College is closer to 135th on (B) and (C) then the 137th-City College station on (1) .  Perhaps it isn't named on the IND because it is across a park from the campus, but this would be a good choice.

While the main/older buildings of NYU are closest to 8th street, there are some parts of campus that are closer to W4th, yet NYU is only applied to 8th street.  The law school, the Kimmel student center, and the library are all closer to W4th street.

NYU and City College are far bigger and also have good reason to have two stations (on two totally separate lines [and systems]).  Not saying that they should go through the expense now, but it would be more sensible to give NYU and City College two stations over Medgar Evars College.

And that's the can of worms that this patronizing gesture opens...

"This is President Street, exit here for Medgar Evers College" is just fine

7 hours ago, mrsman said:

City College is closer to 135th on (B) and (C) then the 137th-City College station on (1) .

In terms of straight line distance, yeah - but cutting through the park from St. Nich' to get up to the campus is a motherf***er though.... Thinking back, I found the actual duration (walk) to get from either station to the campus to be more or less the same....

2 hours ago, RapidoNewLook said:

Which station entrance is blocked by the "Occupy City Hall " protest?

Search me, IDK.....

Hell, I didn't know Occupy City Hall was a thing; protesters commonly frequent some city's City Hall whenever they rally together to "fight" against some injustice....

Edited by B35 via Church

2 hours ago, RapidoNewLook said:

Which station entrance is blocked by the "Occupy City Hall " protest?

24 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Search me, IDK.....

Hell, I didn't know Occupy City Hall was a thing; protesters commonly frequent some city's City Hall whenever they rally together to "fight" against some injustice....

There's a picture going around of protesters encamped around a subway entrance near City Hall, they're calling themselves "Occupy City Hall" as a nod to Occupy Wall Street. I wanted to know which entrance to which station is was.

10 minutes ago, RapidoNewLook said:

There's a picture going around of protesters encamped around a subway entrance near City Hall, they're calling themselves "Occupy City Hall" as a nod to Occupy Wall Street. I wanted to know which entrance to which station is was.

I get that it's a play on OWS....

Don't know what picture you're even talking about, but I went ahead & googled this Occupy City Hall nonsense.... If it's this picture you're talking about::

gallery_xlarge.jpg

...then that's over there along Centre st, right across the street from the approach to the Brooklyn Bridge..... Just south of Chambers st.

On 6/25/2020 at 2:17 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

President Street and Franklin Ave will get a name change. Announcements and a new map will come out later.

in all honesty, renaming both of these stations is bound to cause more confusion. they seriously aren't fine by simply renaming Franklin and keeping it at that? i know that the decision lies in the hands of those pesky lawmakers...but still...

7 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The Brightliner R32s will be making a comeback on the first day of July. On the Jamaica (J)(Z) lines as 90% of the line is outdoors.

Where did you hear that?

Never mind: https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-l-train-normal-service-covid-19-20200628-lntxyjbwdbhizky4sw5i6dbjgq-story.html

Edited by Union Tpke