SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far this summer the A/C has been working on every R62A I rode on both the (1) and (6) lines. Either the mechanics found a fix to the constant A/C failures on that fleet or the lighter ridership is putting less strain on the car's A/C systems. Also the A/C on the 62A's this summer has been ICE COLD! Not that weak A/C found on cars like the R46s for example. 

On 7/10/2020 at 8:40 PM, MHV9218 said:

img_122480.jpg

[Eric Oszustowicz photo in Joe Testagrose collection]

Alright what the hell is going on in this one – this looks like a post-GOH R40 (new numberplates) with TA side logos and a completely unrecognizable rollsign I've never seen before? Any ideas?

Not to mention the lack of side destination/route signs.

15 minutes ago, VIP said:

Like the R160’s 

I guess I should have worded the question better: What does the voice say in the announcement?  "This is a"... what? "Rockaway Park bound (S) train"? "Rockaway Park bound Rockaway Park Shuttle"? What wording do the announcements use?

20 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

So far this summer the A/C has been working on every R62A I rode on both the (1) and (6) lines. Either the mechanics found a fix to the constant A/C failures on that fleet or the lighter ridership is putting less strain on the car's A/C systems. Also the A/C on the 62A's this summer has been ICE COLD! Not that weak A/C found on cars like the R46s for example. 

Hate to say it, but this is another thing that has to do with 24 hour service being curtailed. More time to inspect the cars and figure out which sets have an issue, less all-day strain. Thinking about what the MDBF on the R62s looks like on the part-time (3) versus the MDBF on the R62As on full-time (1) and (6) should tell you something. I'd bet what you're seeing is a combination of all these things. 

20 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

24 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Hate to say it, but this is another thing that has to do with 24 hour service being curtailed. More time to inspect the cars and figure out which sets have an issue, less all-day strain. Thinking about what the MDBF on the R62s looks like on the part-time (3) versus the MDBF on the R62As on full-time (1) and (6) should tell you something. I'd bet what you're seeing is a combination of all these things. 

Not so fast, just yesterday on my way to my boys house on the (1)-R62A 1867 (hot car). Luckily I was on car 1866 which indeed was nice and cold. The hot cars or out there, only the great thing is that there's not as many as there use to be given that in recent years the R62As have undergone several modifications.

3 hours ago, RapidoNewLook said:

I guess I should have worded the question better: What does the voice say in the announcement?  "This is a"... what? "Rockaway Park bound (S) train"? "Rockaway Park bound Rockaway Park Shuttle"? What wording do the announcements use?

It's like the (C) and (A) trains on the R179s. Just no pause. 

On 7/7/2020 at 12:32 PM, B35 via Church said:

Not a chance that most folks taking buses to get to/from LGA will switch to this rendition of an AIRTrain.... Too significant a backtrack, among other things.

That ignores the logic of laziness - which is akin to electricity: "Take the path of least work."

Work being: "How crowded will this bus be? How long will I have to wait at a bus stop for it? How long is it gonna take with stops and traffic on Astoria Bl or the BQE? How likely is it I'm gonna have to stand up and hold this bag so it doesn't fall on someone?"

Whereas with the train: "I may have to stand on (7) but I could get a seat on AirTrain. I could take <7> and save 5 minutes. The bus is gonna do these loops to get to each terminal then get stuck in traffic behind the cabs but the AirTrain stations have elevators."

That thing will be used. May not be by folks in the Bx, but Mnh, Bk and Q - they'll be on it. Logic of laziness > logic of routing.

5 hours ago, Deucey said:

That ignores the logic of laziness - which is akin to electricity: "Take the path of least work."

Work being: "How crowded will this bus be? How long will I have to wait at a bus stop for it? How long is it gonna take with stops and traffic on Astoria Bl or the BQE? How likely is it I'm gonna have to stand up and hold this bag so it doesn't fall on someone?"

Whereas with the train: "I may have to stand on (7) but I could get a seat on AirTrain. I could take <7> and save 5 minutes. The bus is gonna do these loops to get to each terminal then get stuck in traffic behind the cabs but the AirTrain stations have elevators."

That thing will be used. May not be by folks in the Bx, but Mnh, Bk and Q - they'll be on it. Logic of laziness > logic of routing.

Logic of laziness would dictate that most people won't even bother with it, as its location would force two transfers for all but those close enough to walk a short distance to the (7). To make matters worse, a fare is basically guaranteed, and it's basically expected to be much higher than the subway fare (with no transfer discount, even with OMNY). (Increasing accessibility can mitigate the issue, but that can only do so much.)

The <7> only runs during rush hours in the peak direction, and that happens to be the worst time to try using it to reach the airport. (7)<7> trains are notoriously packed during that time, and you still need to go out to Willets Point for the connection...

7 hours ago, Deucey said:

What this argument ignores is that traveling a further distance to catch another mode (as in, this AIRTrain), also encompasses "work".... People typically don't like riding further than what they have to....

Quite frankly, it'll take more work for most riders to get to the AIRTrain from off the subway, compared to getting to the bus from off the subway.... There's not going to be this mass exodus of riders bolting for the thing, barring current travel options being worsened to make the thing appear more attractive....

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Logic of laziness would dictate that most people won't even bother with it, as its location would force two transfers for all but those close enough to walk a short distance to the (7). To make matters worse, a fare is basically guaranteed, and it's basically expected to be much higher than the subway fare (with no transfer discount, even with OMNY). (Increasing accessibility can mitigate the issue, but that can only do so much.)

The <7> only runs during rush hours in the peak direction, and that happens to be the worst time to try using it to reach the airport. (7)<7> trains are notoriously packed during that time, and you still need to go out to Willets Point for the connection...

This simply can't be marginalized or..... ignored.

Edited by B35 via Church

On 7/10/2020 at 5:40 PM, MHV9218 said:

img_122480.jpg

Alright what the hell is going on in this one – this looks like a post-GOH R40 (new numberplates) with TA side logos and a completely unrecognizable rollsign I've never seen before? Any ideas?

This was right around or after GOH; (NYCT) was still trying to figure things out.  It took a while for them to replace/standardize logos/decals on all the different fleets going through the program.  For example, there's another picture on nycsubway.org of a freshly-overhauled R42 still carrying the old-style car numbers.  Of course, they all got replaced after a few years (early '90s I think).  Interesting how the R38s carried the old plates until the end, though...

img_122480.jpg

I think I saw another image of a slant with a circular not in service bullet in a yard  on nycsubway.org some time back.

9 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

When the R42s were receiving pantograph gates in the 1980s, did they all receive gates from the R1-9s or was it a mixture of brand-new gates and salvaged R1-9 gates?

A mix- traditional gates vs. some type of gate that was meant to imitate baloney springs (for whatever reason):

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?78425

34 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

A mix- traditional gates vs. some type of gate that was meant to imitate baloney springs (for whatever reason):

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?78425

Its kinda odd and funny that part of the original IND fleet lives on to this day, albeit on the fleet that killed them off from service.

On 7/6/2020 at 12:16 AM, Bay Ridge Express said:

Off topic: absolutely zero people will take Cuomo's private air train. Zero because people will look at the travel time and say "wow that's way too long" from it having to go all the way to Willets (assuming you live west of there, which most people do) and just order a cab... nothing changes.

On 7/7/2020 at 2:41 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

While that is a common sense option, unfortunately the Port Authority didn’t see it that way. I forgot which study I looked at since it was months ago, but there was a feasibility study regarding the boondoggle train and how it holds up against other options to get to LGA. You already know this, It was skewed to make the AirTrain the most favorable option (which is BS).

Do the State or the Port Authority even have the money to do this ridiculous AirTrain now? I mean with flights being grounded and tolls being way down when we locked down, I can’t see how they would be able to afford it now, not to mention placate NIMBYs whose houses overlook Flushing Bay. Yes, according to this qns.com article I stumbled upon today, there seem to be both environmental and aesthetic concerns over the proposed AirTrain guideway - https://qns.com/story/2019/06/06/the-format-was-not-workable-residents-blast-laguardia-airport-airtrains-public-workshop-in-east-elmhurst/ 

What’s amusing is how Cuomo insists that this AirTrain will get built quicker and won’t get tied up in court by NIMBYs like he thinks the (N)(W) extension would be. Yet here are block associations and environmental activists with concerns over the path of the AirTrain. Who’s to say they won’t take the Port and the State to court over them? Are most the same NIMBYs in Astoria who fought off the proposed (N) extension to LGA 25 years ago even still there?

<picture>

I had a dream that I boarded a train with that same rollsign when I was 11. But it was a pre-GOH R40m or R42, blue stripes, old-school number plates, big storm door window and all.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

13 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Funny how they didn't take time to do this when the subway shutdown is in place.

Maybe the necessary updates weren’t available earlier. Like Microsoft Windows Update, they just roll out as they’re available.