SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yikes:

WEEKEND SERVICE  Posted: 07/18/2020  2:24PM

(M) trains are running approximately every 40 minutes between Myrtle Av and Middle Village - Metropolitan Av.

I see it's getting the B37 treatment. *shot*

6 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yikes:

(M) trains are running approximately every 40 minutes between Myrtle Av and Middle Village - Metropolitan Av.

I'm not even being funny... I've walked between those two stations on a couple of occasions in the past.... Although I didn't clock it, I'd say it was around 35-40 minutes...

This is beyond ridiculous.

21 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yikes:

That one is bad. Have they every pulled this one before?

When was the Lafayette/Broadway SW corner exit of Bway-Lafayette last exit only? As part of the MTA's badly-managed sign replacement project (everybody keep your eyes peeled around the city, a lot of interesting stuff is being revealed because they've been too lazy to cover up while replacing), one side of that entrance now says "No entry" despite obviously being open. I can't even remember when that was last the case. It has to predate the 2012 renovation that connected the (6) transfer. I checked Street View and at least as far back as 2009 it's an entrance stairwell. Across the street a sign for the BDFV is now visible again too. 

Edited by MHV9218

21 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

When was the Lafayette/Broadway SW corner exit of Bway-Lafayette last exit only? As part of the MTA's badly-managed sign replacement project (everybody keep your eyes peeled around the city, a lot of interesting stuff is being revealed because they've been too lazy to cover up while replacing), one side of that entrance now says "No entry" despite obviously being open. I can't even remember when that was last the case. It has to predate the 2012 renovation that connected the (6) transfer. I checked Street View and at least as far back as 2009 it's an entrance stairwell. Across the street a sign for the BDFV is now visible again too. 

You mean the SW corner of Lafayette & Houston?

When I didn't feel like being bothered with the (2)(1), I would sometimes get off at B'way-Lafayette (off the (B)) & take a nice brisk walk over to Christopher to get to work..... I couldn't tell you what's over there now, but back during most of the '00's, that entrance was smack in front of a gas station & it saw heavy utilization (I never exited on the south side of Houston though).... Long story short, it was never exit only during the 2000's..... I don't even remember it being exit only during the '90's, come to think of it....

14 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

You mean the SW corner of Lafayette & Houston?

When I didn't feel like being bothered with the (2)(1), I would sometimes get off at B'way-Lafayette (off the (B)) & take a nice brisk walk over to Christopher to get to work..... I couldn't tell you what's over there now, but back during most of the '00's, that entrance was smack in front of a gas station & it saw heavy utilization (I never exited on the south side of Houston though).... Long story short, it was never exit only during the 2000's..... I don't even remember it being exit only during the '90's, come to think of it....

Yep meant that exit. Word, so you're perfect for your memory on this, that lines up with exactly what I remembered. There was always that big-ass gas station, and there was that little dinky exit by the fruit market on Broadway, next to the Abercrombie/Hollister whatever it was (where's LRG at?). So if you walk by it right now, they're doing renovations so some of the old signs are exposed. And that stairway just reads 'No entry' on the side missing the sign. It's Helvetica, so it can't be any older than '88 or so, but it's gotta be early 90s? Put it this way, the sign across the street is for the BDFV, and the "V" is a tape-over which means they had to update it just to say that lol. Gotta be BDFQ originally, from the Manhattan Bridge project. 

I’m amazed at the mask compliance in the subways. This last Friday while I was waiting for the (N)(W) at 34 St-Herald Sq (first time riding the subway since St Patrick’s Day, and only because I had a bunch of packages I couldn’t take with me in my backpack on citibike), EVERYONE I saw in the station had their masks on and there were no homeless people present either in the stations or on the trains. And this was while I was in the station for about 50 minutes waiting for my train to arrive.

6 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Did you seriously wait for an R160? In a pandemic?

Don’t worry. I was wearing my mask and face shield 🛡. And it was a one-time thing, again because of the packages I was carrying. In no way does This mean I will be riding the subway regularly for a long time

Soooo...the guy who shot the husband and son of New Jersey judge Esther Salas (involved in the Epstein case) is also the guy who once sued the MTA over the Unlimited Ride MetroCards and claimed it was falsely advertising the 7-day and 30-day period.

Also an anti-feminist and men's rights activist, filing some really stupid lawsuits.

https://nypost.com/2013/11/25/mta-short-changes-straphangers-with-unlimited-cards-lawsuit/

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

R46 5489 is stuck in the deferred maintenance era as half of the car is dark with some of the lights flicking on and off AND the A/C is broke.

I rode a 5600 on the (Q) in the middle and it rode like garbage, I'm surprised that some of these cars are still running like shit after being out of Jamaica since April. This is what happens when they run them on the (G)(N)(Q) 24/7 as well as the (A)

6 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I’m amazed at the mask compliance in the subways. This last Friday while I was waiting for the (N)(W) at 34 St-Herald Sq (first time riding the subway since St Patrick’s Day, and only because I had a bunch of packages I couldn’t take with me in my backpack on citibike), EVERYONE I saw in the station had their masks on and there were no homeless people present either in the stations or on the trains. And this was while I was in the station for about 50 minutes waiting for my train to arrive.

I'm not. Everyone either doesn't have one or doesn't wear it properly. What's more, people think they can get away with everything now (got caught up with passengers smoking in a subway car once).

11 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

I'm not. Everyone either doesn't have one or doesn't wear it properly. What's more, people think they can get away with everything now (got caught up with passengers smoking in a subway car once).

I once caught a guy smoking between cars on the sharp curve between W  farms sq and E 180 St. Some people seem to have no brains.

11 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Ugghhh. That must be a pain to deal with. People think they're entitled to do whatever nowadays.

Also, this might just be me, but I don't understand why people leave their noses hanging in the open when wearing their masks. If they can't breathe in the mask that they're using without leaving their nose exposed, then they most likely need a better mask. 

12 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

17 minutes ago, Bklyn Bound 2 Local said:

I once caught a guy smoking between cars on the sharp curve between W  farms sq and E 180 St. Some people seem to have no brains.

For what it's worth, none of that is new. On the overnight trains? Oh boy. Been on a few overnights where joints got passed around the whole car, strangers included. Don't forget that back in the eighties the last car on New Lots trains was the smoking car!

5 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

For what it's worth, none of that is new. On the overnight trains? Oh boy. Been on a few overnights where joints got passed around the whole car, strangers included. Don't forget that back in the eighties the last car on New Lots trains was the smoking car!

It's sad that people get between cars tho. In September 2019, a 74 y-o lady died because she fell between the cars on an N train pulling into 49th St