SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

How come the (B) doesn’t go express in the Bronx during rush hours instead of the (D)?

Because it doesn’t make sense to do a bait-and-switch with express and local service. That didn’t stop the MTA from doing it with the (N) and (W) 2 decades ago though.

Furthermore, the express tracks are connected to the express tracks and the local tracks are not. There would be conflicts at the junction during rush hour.

14 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

My peers do not know about this hobby of mines since I always used to think that they would judge me for partaking in a hobby that most folks do not care about. I also do photography so I manage to capture a few trains here and there. After fanning most of the system I got somewhat bored which is why I usually fan buses more. I would fan the R46s on the (N) and (Q) but after riding them on the (F) and (R) for years I’m tired of them lol. I actually can’t wait for them to go and I know some of y’all will get mad but I’m sorry I’ve been riding them trains for the past 17 years. I was so happy when the (R) was made 100% R160 because it was felt like a fresh new experience riding the (R) since R160s used to pop up occasionally in the past. 

It was like a switch in-rotation but for a reason between the (R) and (Q) (hence the term, "fleet swap"). The before/after is flipped, meaning the (R) used to be 46s with a few 160s but it's the (Q) that's taking part of this consist change. 

Only change with the (Q) is the diverse of equipment, even with less R160s on the line, they can be seen as (N) to 96 St with the Q signage. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

It was like a switch in-rotation but for a reason between the (R) and (Q) (hence the term, "fleet swap"). The before/after is flipped, meaning the (R) used to be 46s with a few 160s but it's the (Q) that's taking part of this consist change. 

Only change with the (Q) is the diverse of equipment, even with less R160s on the line, they can be seen as (N) to 96 St with the Q signage. 

Yes the (Q) now is what the (R) used to be in terms of having a mostly old fleet with the occasional R160. A few years ago I thought for sure that the R46 would retire off of the (R) even though the (A) and (C) are the lines where trains seem to retire off of. Now that the switch happen my money is on the (A)  but we shall see in a few years. 

19 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I was always more into buses than I was with trains, but darn I miss the time where you could enter a lot of subway stations and or the bus and could get a few maps. These things are rare to come by now and it’s sad because I remember having maps for most subway lines and a lot of the Queens bus routes. I used to sit on the floor in my room with all the maps laid out and I would study them maps like I was about to take an exam. I was so mad when my mom threw away all my original bus and subway maps claiming that I didn’t need them. I had the first maps that came out for the newly formed MTA bus at the time as well as subway line schedules. Nowadays since subway schedules are so hard to come across I only have a bunch of bus schedules and only the subway system map.

I pretty much learned the entire subway system when I was six or seven just because I was so fascinated with the maps... I have a whole collection of them now. I remember the local library would keep some, and one time as a kid I wanted to reach for some on a stand but was too short... one of the librarians questioned what I was attempting to do but even then I thought it would be weird that a kid like me would be so eager to take subway maps. The sheer awe I got from learning where all the different routes went was magical... such a feeling is difficult to recreate nowadays, albeit I still hold a great level of passion. My family thought that I might end up being a civil engineer because of that... and now exclusively ask me for directions/tips for riding public transit. I chose the med track but clearly I'm still here in these forums eager and open to discuss transit-related stuff.

My peers do not know about this hobby of mines since I always used to think that they would judge me for partaking in a hobby that most folks do not care about.

100% agree. During my public school experience, I would say I knew only 1-2 people that cared about trains in (almost) the same level that I did. So, I hardly ever bothered bringing it up... instead just tried to appeal to the lingo and habits of school children my age.

I was so happy when the (R) was made 100% R160 because it was felt like a fresh new experience riding the (R) since R160s used to pop up occasionally in the past.

Me too, but there was something special growing up and knowing (N)s and (Q)s would exclusively be R160s, despite the (R) being my home line... I have to admit, I am fairly young so I like NTTs slightly more. As for the R211s... well, we'll just see where those take us.

44 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

I pretty much learned the entire subway system when I was six or seven just because I was so fascinated with the maps... I have a whole collection of them now. I remember the local library would keep some, and one time as a kid I wanted to reach for some on a stand but was too short... one of the librarians questioned what I was attempting to do but even then I thought it would be weird that a kid like me would be so eager to take subway maps. The sheer awe I got from learning where all the different routes went was magical... such a feeling is difficult to recreate nowadays, albeit I still hold a great level of passion. My family thought that I might end up being a civil engineer because of that... and now exclusively ask me for directions/tips for riding public transit. I chose the med track but clearly I'm still here in these forums eager and open to discuss transit-related stuff.

100% agree. During my public school experience, I would say I knew only 1-2 people that cared about trains in (almost) the same level that I did. So, I hardly ever bothered bringing it up... instead just tried to appeal to the lingo and habits of school children my age.

Me too, but there was something special growing up and knowing (N)s and (Q)s would exclusively be R160s, despite the (R) being my home line... I have to admit, I am fairly young so I like NTTs slightly more. As for the R211s... well, we'll just see where those take us.

Wow I remember the Central Library in Jamaica would have the bus maps and I would be so excited especially if they had maps from different boroughs. Because of my fascination with maps I’ve became extremely good at directions unlike most of my friends. It doesn’t take much for me to learn my way around a new place which is a very good skill to have.

I like the NTT’s as well but I’m not going to lie we have too many Alstom R160s and it’s bad enough the R142’s have the same traction system. I prefer the Siemens or the Bombardier MITRAC systems but as long as the train takes me from point A to B, I can care less lol. I just wish we had more diversity like we did before the R160s came and dominated the B division. 

JUST missed a 12-9 at 72nd, got there before the first responders did. Female T/O is crying and is distraught. 

BTW I was at Riverside Park and stumbled upon this by accident.. All kinds of FDNY dudes here.

No idea if the person is alive or deceased.

They just kicked everybody out of 72nd S/B, now I gotta head over to CPW or hop on the M5 bus.

Edited by trainfan22

4 hours ago, vioreen said:

Are there any plans to extend the (M)  to Jamaica 179 Street ?

Why extend the (M) to 179th?

If the (M) were to get extended the (R) would have to as well to avoid the (M) from being blocked at Forest Hills. 
However I don’t think many would utilize a Queens Blvd “local” train along Hillside as suppose to an express train.

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

They didn’t when the (R) last ran to/from 179th from 1988 (when the (E) was rerouted to Jamaica Center) to 1993. Oddly enough, the (G) terminated at 71st while the (R) continued on to 179th.

The (G) train frequency was low enough to allow it to terminate at 71 Av while not significantly affecting the (R). It's similar to the (F)(G) operations at Church Av.

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The (G) train frequency was low enough to allow it to terminate at 71 Av while not significantly affecting the (R). It's similar to the (F)(G) operations at Church Av.

Don’t Coney Island/ Kings Highway bound (F) trains get stuck behind the (G) all the time at Church Ave?

9 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Don’t Coney Island/ Kings Highway bound (F) trains get stuck behind the (G) all the time at Church Ave?

Yes, yes they do.

7a80a802-f70f-4b4f-8ab8-4e9f7f055292_scr

@B35 via Church Honestly, even with the slight chance of sharing a trunk taking some of the pressure off the (F), I don't see why we should do it.

Edited by Lex
stupidly created separate posts, combined them

10 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Seems like an idea that could make sense long term- it adds only a few minutes of runtime and can be done with simply adding some switches (IIRC 18th has crew quarters).

The switches are already there, but there aren't crew quarters AFAIK. You'd recrew on the northbound at Church a la 205/BPK on the (D). I'm not even sure this would actually add runtime; keep in mind that the move down to the relay is slow and when I've observed at Church, (G)s regularly spend 15-20 down there. 

25 minutes ago, RR503 said:

The switches are already there, but there aren't crew quarters AFAIK. You'd recrew on the northbound at Church a la 205/BPK on the (D). I'm not even sure this would actually add runtime; keep in mind that the move down to the relay is slow and when I've observed at Church, (G)s regularly spend 15-20 down there. 

What's your view on sending the (G) down to Kings Highway and terminating on the middle there?

17 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

What's your view on sending the (G) down to Kings Highway and terminating on the middle there?

Not a great idea. KH middle gets a _lot_ of use as a short turn point for (F)s and a location where layups can be cleared out of the way of mainline traffic.