SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 8/7/2020 at 6:48 PM, 4 via Mosholu said:

I was on the (4) train earlier today, and it seems as though some sets, including the one I entered numbered 1121 to 1170, have the Franklin Medgar Evers program modification. I think this is the case because Dianne Thompson from the (2) train replaced Ettinger Gottesman when it came to announcing "The Next Stop is" and the "This is" portion of the program. The rest seem to still have Ettinger Gottesman doing these, as they still have the original 2005 Franklin program as of 2014. The last time the program was modified in 2014, it never had Dianne Thompson do this on the (4) train. But I determined that they should have used Velina Mitchell to do the announcements or the other Thompson (Kathleen Campion from the (F) train) to do these announcements if they really wanted to take Ettinger Gottesman off completely from Lexington.

"The Next and Last Stop Is" is also being announced by Dianne Thompson on the affected units.

On 8/7/2020 at 9:46 PM, Lawrence St said:

Its not on purpose, when they did the program update for Franklin Av they accidentally messed up the Next Stop and arrival announcements so that it now references the (2) announcements.

I was assuming the programming staff were squeezing in as much as they could with what little memory the R142/A automated announcement system has to work with.

They had also taken out a lot of the Ettinger Gottesman transfer recordings (at least on the (4)) and replaced with spliced Charlie Pellett recordings earlier this year, in order to make room for the new M14 SBS announcement recording.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

@Union Tpke Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't MTA suppose to build crossovers at Beach 105th St last year? I remember seeing it somewhere in a capital program PDF.

Yes. It is funded as a Sandy mitigation from the 2010-2014 program. Design is on track to be completed in December. I don't know why the project is taking so darn long though.

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_head.html?PROJNUM=et070311&PLTYPE=1&DISPLAYALL=Y

I'm unfamiliar with the (J) line. I want to fan the R32s and want to know which stations have the fastest arrivals. I want to hear the fast deceleration of the westinghouse motors on the R32s. I know that the (J) has a lot of slow sections like the S Curve, Bway Junction, before the Willy B bridge. I want to know which station(s) hauls the most ass on the line. 

On 8/8/2020 at 8:13 PM, MHV9218 said:

They really are running those 32s. I saw two sets of them on the (J) today, and that was just from briefly walking by the elevated – maybe there were more. Totally unnecessary to tun on the weekend when ENY barn has the extra 160s from the 4-car (M)/no (Z), but I guess they're just treating them like regular stock. 

they have 8 sets and whatever is laid up at 111th runs on the weekend. the R32's minus 2 sets (since they have 8 sets plus spares) are running like when the R42's were on the (J) which 1-2 R42's always ran on the weekend. also the R143's and 160's need to be inspected too.

2 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

I'm unfamiliar with the (J) line. I want to fan the R32s and want to know which stations have the fastest arrivals. I want to hear the fast deceleration of the westinghouse motors on the R32s. I know that the (J) has a lot of slow sections like the S Curve, Bway Junction, before the Willy B bridge. I want to know which station(s) hauls the most ass on the line. 

Outside of Crescent - Cypress, Alabama - Broadway Junction both ends of Myrtle Ave and the WillyB most of the outdoor portion of the (J) is straight trackage with no timers.

If I had to choose I'd say 104th N/B and 111th S/B... the train gets assistance from gravity at those stops due having go over the LIRR ROWS. 

Edited by trainfan22

55 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Outside of Crescent - Cypress, Alabama - Broadway Junction both ends of Myrtle Ave and the WillyB most of the outdoor portion of the (J) is straight trackage with no timers.

If I had to choose I'd say 104th N/B and 111th S/B... the train gets assistance from gravity at those stops due having go over the LIRR ROWS. 

111th S/B is an amazing spot to fan on the (J) , also Flushing & Lorimer during rush hour 

On 8/11/2020 at 7:17 PM, Calvin said:

Do the R62/As have manual door opening like how SIR's R44 open doors on 3 cars but one is left shut? Saw the 4-car consist: 1930, 1946-1953 except 1951 is blocked off. 

I guess so. At Grand Central, only 1930, 1946, and 1953’ doors open while 1951 stayed closed. That and when it gets to Times Square, 1951 is blocked by the blue wall, so you can only use the other three cars.

22 hours ago, Calvin said:

What's up with the duct tape on select R46s? I've noticed them on the ex. Jamaica, currently C.I units (5610, 5698) and barely on the Pitkin cars (6042, 6181). 

Jamaica ran theirs into the ground (they ride rougher), and this could be linked to the multiple rejects from CI during the fleet swap.

Edited by MeeP15-9112

Is it me or are the R160s significantly faster than the R46s?

Yesterday I got on an R train at 34th and took it down to City Hall and usually always get an R46 but was lucky to snag an R160.  It seemed like the train was flying down Broadway and even some of those sharp turns between Canal and City Hall were taken faster. 

3 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Is it me or are the R160s significantly faster than the R46s?

Yesterday I got on an R train at 34th and took it down to City Hall and usually always get an R46 but was lucky to snag an R160.  It seemed like the train was flying down Broadway and even some of those sharp turns between Canal and City Hall were taken faster. 

They are. The R160 are faster than all of the remaining B div SMEE trains. SMEE's were faster back when they had field shunting, but that was removed from the cars after the WillyB crash.

Since NYCTA purchased the Rockaway Beach Branch and converted it to the IND Rockaway line, why did they choose the (A) to serve Far Rockaway full time and the (S) to serve Rockaway Park? It seems like within the past few years ridership along the Rockaway Park branch have gone up especially during the summer and I wonder why they never added more (A) trips to Rockaway Park during summer weekdays and weekends.

On 8/9/2020 at 11:27 AM, EvilMonologue said:

I was just wondering, why it is that they decided to build the tunnel on 63rd St as opposed to 61st St, where, it would be able to connect to the Broadway lines and the Lexington lines?

The original, original 63 St line was actually supposed to be at 79 St (It would've gone under Broadway on the Queens side). IIRC it was a combination of geotechnical stuff and the fact that Midtown is busier that got it pushed down to 63rd.

As for 61 vs 63, my guess is that the overriding concern here is that 63 St is pretty much directly across from 41st Av in Queens, but none of the other streets south of it have corresponding Queens streets, and they probably wanted to minimize underwater tunnel length.

43 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Since NYCTA purchased the Rockaway Beach Branch and converted it to the IND Rockaway line, why did they choose the (A) to serve Far Rockaway full time and the (S) to serve Rockaway Park? It seems like within the past few years ridership along the Rockaway Park branch have gone up especially during the summer and I wonder why they never added more (A) trips to Rockaway Park during summer weekdays and weekends.

I think there are 2 factors as to why the (MTA) didn't increase Rockaway Park (S) service or add more Roackaway Park (A) trips. (Aside from them not wanting to do much when it coes to overall subway service in general)

1. Lack of Equipment. With the 179's out of service, this is the only reason I can think of aside from the second reason.

2. The (A) is already constrained in terms of Capacity since it has to merge/diverge with the (D) at 145th and 59th, the (C) at Canal and Hoyt-Schemerhorn in addition that (A) service Splits at Rockaway Blvd for Lefferts and Rockaway Service. Also, because 59th is a bottleneck, every service along the IND is scheduled around each other. 

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I think there are 2 factors as to why the (MTA) didn't increase Rockaway Park (S) service or add more Roackaway Park (A) trips. (Aside from them not wanting to do much when it coes to overall subway service in general)

1. Lack of Equipment. With the 179's out of service, this is the only reason I can think of aside from the second reason.

2. The (A) is already constrained in terms of Capacity since it has to merge/diverge with the (D) at 145th and 59th, the (C) at Canal and Hoyt-Schemerhorn in addition that (A) service Splits at Rockaway Blvd for Lefferts and Rockaway Service. Also, because 59th is a bottleneck, every service along the IND is scheduled around each other. 

So what about swapping the (A) and (S) branches on weekends? 

And in regards to #2, thats during the weekday. On weekends there is more room to schedule some extra (A) trips to Rockaway Park.