SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

10 hours ago, RedLine said:

No

What a beautiful statement!

10 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I'm referencing this, which is probably the first thought of a second cross-river IND tunnel:

1280px-1939_IND_Second_System.jpg

If only we even had half of what was originally proposed here... (save for the new branches that have already additionally been built)

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, RapidoNewLook said:

Would anyone happen to know which set?

If I remember correctly, its 8703-8707/9662-9658. And 8762-8758/9248-9252. (8703/9662 is on the (A) currently). These sets also features the wear a Mask PSA in both a male and female voice. 

Edited by VIP
Two R160 sets.

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

The R142s at both 239 St/E.180 St (6301-45, 51-7125) tend to have the exteriors deep washed as well as Coney Island's R160B Siemens.  The outside looks almost brand new. 

E180 Street has a detailing schedule. I don’t Know about 239 St yard or Coney Island yard. But Coney Island definitely cleans their cars. Look at some of the R46’s formerly from Jamaica. 

17 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

There’s many R46’s on the  again. Very few 160’s. Might have something to do with the R179’s being shifted around as they’re preparing to re-enter service in the near future.

There are still the same 10 or more sets in service especially rush hours, however middays usually see less (around 5 or more). Last weekend around 10-15 sets were in service, I would guess more sets were borrowed on weekends to service the R46s in the meantime. 

The (F) will need their sets back very soon, sometime in the next week or two although there's no further word as of now exactly when. 

Edited by 4P3607
Corrected quoted post

1 hour ago, 4P3607 said:

There are still the same 10 or more sets in service especially rush hours, however middays usually see less (around 5 or more). Last weekend around 10-15 sets were in service, I would guess more sets were borrowed on weekends to service the R46s in the meantime. 

The (F) will need their sets back very soon, sometime in the next week or two although there's no further word as of now exactly when. 

I don't think it will be until the end of September, because there is another (F) train G.O. coming up, that is rendering the Kings Highway middle track unable to turn trains back up to 179 St, unless transit decides to end those (F) trains at Church Av, like when the Culver Station Rehabs were going on, further clogging up the Coney Island-bound (F) trains.

Edited by darkstar8983

53 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

I don't think it will be until the end of September, because there is another (F) train G.O. coming up, that is rendering the Kings Highway middle track unable to turn trains back up to 179 St, unless transit decides to end those (F) trains at Church Av, like when the Culver Station Rehabs were going on, further clogging up the Coney Island-bound (F) trains.

Maybe longer, the (E) also has work to be done between Jamaica Van Wyck and the terminal sharing the (J)(Z) lines. 

4 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Actually somewhat normal (F) Train headways are scheduled to return on August 31st. That upcoming G.O you're talking about is just for two weeks. The week of August 31st northbound and the week of September 21st southbound. Some of those (F) Trains are supposed to turn at Church Avenue.

I heard by then that the (A) is loosing R160's, I don't know if its all of them but the Majority will be returning to Jamaica. So More R32's might have to be pulled out of retirement - storage ether for the (A)(C) or more R32's to ENY for R160's for the (C) until the R179's comeback.

3 minutes ago, 4P3607 said:

There's a mixed Alstom (S 9693-7) and Siemens (9007-3 N) roaming the (A) . It went southbound towards Far Rockaway but didn't return up (possible Rockaway Park deadhead?)

I rode that set and didn't realize it was an mixed set until the Siemens half of the train went past me after I got off.

There was no noticable difference in ride quality, surprisingly.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I rode that set and didn't realize it was an mixed set until the Siemens half of the train went past me after I got off.

There was no noticable difference in ride quality, surprisingly.

There shouldn't be because they are both practically the same in almost every way, (except for the door mechanism and propulsions, obviously).

12 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

At Ave J on the (Q) on the Manhattan bound platform, the countdown clock is showing the (B) train as stopping there when it's clearly running express smh lol

There was originally supposed to be G.O on the Brighton Line having Coney Island Bound (Q) Trains Express and 145th Street Bound (B) Trains local that ended up being canceled 

3 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Can't say for sure, but I do know that an occasional R46 was a regular occurrence on the (E) until at least 2011, if not later.

It was amusing to see how bent up out of shape some posters on here would get whenever it happened, though.

Well that's QBL for you, I wouldn't expect anything less when it comes to that, no one like older trains on QBL.

@Vulturious You wouldn't expect anything less? Because I certainly thought their endless pissing and moaning about 75-footers was unnecessary...

There were people on these boards and SubChat (way back when) acting like the R46s running on the (E) were harbingers of the apocalypse or something. 'OMG only 32 doors per side! It's the end of the world, the sky is falling!' and so on and so forth.

It was ridiculous.

Edited by R10 2952
historical context