SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

3 hours ago, Vulturious said:

It makes sense since people still need to go and reload on their MetroCards if the machines aren't working. Then again, buses are free, what about the cops? Are they at every station or just the major ones?

During overnight hours? I seriously doubt there's much of any police presence in the subway system.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/30/2020 at 12:33 AM, QM1to6Ave said:

What happens to Station Agents when the subway is closed at 1 am? Do they still man their booths overnight? 

That's one title I'd be nervous to have right now. I imagine it will be one of the first on the chopping block, since they don't even do cash transactions anymore. 

I'm not sure what the practice is these days but I remember RR Clerk/ Station Agent jobs were generally 7a-3p, 3p-11p and 11p-7a back in the day. You couldn't leave the booth unless you were relieved. I was a provisional RR Porter and I gave unofficial lunch reliefs and bathroom breaks to RR Clerks who didn't trust their fellow titleholders.  They trusted a 19 year old kid instead.  The last big blackout the Station Agent remained in the booth at the station where my C/R and I were stranded at until she got relieved the next morning. Besides us and another RTO crew stranded at the station the only people who showed up were the police who made sure her booth and money was secured. I'm curious about why you think that job would be on the chopping block. Maybe some people would be reassigned to other duties but unless there was some sort of buyout those people ain't going anywhere. Civil Service and TWU Local 100 are formidable weapons to have in one's arsenal.  My thoughts.  Carry on. 

1 hour ago, vioreen said:

I realize that the (E) dose not deserve to go express on QBL since its a short line, instead they should make the (R) on QBL express.

Operationally, this would make no sense. The 11th Street Cut dumps the (R) onto the QBL local at Queens Plaza, so it'd be pretty pointless to have to make the (E) and (R) do a direct crossing move at Queens Plaza, which would make that already-bad bottleneck worse (with the (E) and (M)). 

I literally didn’t know anything about this until I saw the notification on the bus pop up. The (E) will terminate at Jamaica Van Wyck at all times with the exception of a few more trips that will run to 179th street via Hillside Ave. It will be quite interesting to see more (E) service on Hillside since it doesn’t normally happen except for G.O’s and the few rush hour trips. I would imagine that the additional (E) trains would run express along Hillside Ave, but we shall see for sure on September 19th.

https://new.mta.info/projects/jamaica-track-reconstruction

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I literally didn’t know anything about this until I saw the notification on the bus pop up. The (E) will terminate at Jamaica Van Wyck at all times with the exception of a few more trips that will run to 179th street via Hillside Ave. It will be quite interesting to see more (E) service on Hillside since it doesn’t normally happen except for G.O’s and the few rush hour trips. I would imagine that the additional (E) trains would run express along Hillside Ave, but we shall see for sure on September 19th.

https://new.mta.info/projects/jamaica-track-reconstruction

after 5pm northbound, They can't go Express between union and 179th due to lay ups. the lay ups start south of supthin blvd on the northbound express track when they lay up (R) trains that turn into (F) trains the next day. they did this with the R32 put ins years ago.

8 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

after 5pm northbound, They can't go Express between union and 179th due to lay ups. the lay ups start south of supthin blvd on the northbound express track when they lay up (R) trains that turn into (F) trains the next day. they did this with the R32 put ins years ago.

Strange that (R) trains get laid up so early in the PM Rush, considering the direction of rush hour traffic for the (R) in the afternoon is towards Bay Ridge, considering its the only route that runs there.

Edited by darkstar8983

11 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I didn’t know they lay up trains so early in the afternoon. 
I was reading more info that they had and it said that (E) trains will run local to provide more service along Hillside Ave.
I hope at least during the morning rush they run Manhattan bound (E) trains express from 179th street. 
I also wonder if they have a Jamaica Van Wyck program. 

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Strange that (R) trains get laid up so early in the PM Rush, considering the direction of rush hour traffic for the (R) in the afternoon is towards Bay Ridge, considering its the only route that runs there.

28 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I didn’t know they lay up trains so early in the afternoon. 
I was reading more info that they had and it said that (E) trains will run local to provide more service along Hillside Ave.
I hope at least during the morning rush they run Manhattan bound (E) trains express from 179th street. 
I also wonder if they have a Jamaica Van Wyck program. 

It's not that they lay em up that early, those tracks have to be clear by 5pm, Some trains start laying up as early as 5:30PM.

@MHV9218 Look at the interesting signage in this photo. You have a weird large B sign for skip-stop service and a black on white sign telling passengers not to cross the tracks in a weird font.

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?41803

img_41803.jpg

Edited by Union Tpke

8 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

@MHV9218 Look at the interesting signage in this photo. You have a weird large B sign for skip-stop service and a black on white sign telling passengers not to cross the tracks in a weird font.

Good eye...the All Persons sign looks like a hand-stenciled early sign on metal, might be sticker letters. Missing the top stripe! 

3 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

I almost didn't see the large "B" for a second. Nice photo!

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Chambers St on the (J)(Z) lines now have working elevators while the entrances has new floors and tiles. 

I still don't understand why they still have concrete on some of the renovated stations, stations should be retrofitted with tile flooring just like the ones at 96 street and 2nd Avenue

The uncovered signage reveals continue to get more interesting. As well as the early 1980s Akzidenz signs along some (1) and (6) stations and the blank kiosks along the (R) and (J)(Z) lines, West 4th is now showing a sign last visible in 2008 or 2009. It's a 1990s enamel sign, with a sticker update for the (V) from 2001 as well as a sticker update for the elevator install from 2005. There have been at least two or three different signs installed over that one in the past decade. If anybody is aware of other stations undergoing replacements, let me know. Most of these are still visible, though a few have already been covered up. @Union Tpke

8 hours ago, vioreen said:

I still don't understand why they still have concrete on some of the renovated stations, stations should be retrofitted with tile flooring just like the ones at 96 street and 2nd Avenue

Pretty sure that in itself is something the MTA will not do if it means more money saved.

10 hours ago, Deucey said:

I saw an old "modern" sign on the BG shuttle platform - white background, black letters. (On the Brooklyn platform at BG, stand by the switch room to see it - if you don't already know.)

Why did (MTA) switch from white with black letters to black background white letters?

That one's a classic, man – one of the very few still visible from the 70s. There's a second one on that shuttle platform that even has a pink :4: and black :5:

The story is that they found white-on-black easier to read from a distance (possible) and easier to hide dirt (100%). So they began to switch around 1973 or 1974, and the rest is history. The Bowling Green shuttle signs date to the mid-70s, and there are few others around the station that are equally old.

23 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Is there any video of the renovated station?

I was there earlier and like they promised the elevators are there and they have a brand new cross over between the Jamaica Center and Broad Street platforms. They fixed some tiles on the unused platform and that’s pretty much it. The station still looks disgusting. There is so much more work they need to do with the station in general. 

On 8/31/2020 at 6:54 PM, Enjineer said:

Operationally, this would make no sense. The 11th Street Cut dumps the (R) onto the QBL local at Queens Plaza, so it'd be pretty pointless to have to make the (E) and (R) do a direct crossing move at Queens Plaza, which would make that already-bad bottleneck worse (with the (E) and (M)). 

I mean, they could run the (R) express via 63rd to/from Jamaica Center while running the (E) local to/from 71st-Continental. Then you’d have (E)(M) local and (F)(R) express and no local/express merges in Queens (other than a merge with the (F) and (R) at 75th Ave - which is already done by the (E) and (F)). But then there would the (R) merging with the (F) northbound and with the (Q) southbound at Lex-63rd, which could be a potential bottleneck. And the (R) would have to run express in Manhattan and probably Brooklyn too.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

34 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I mean, they could run the (R) express via 63rd to/from Jamaica Center while running the (E) local to/from 71st-Continental. Then you’d have (E)(M) local and (F)(R) express and no local/express merges in Queens (other than a merge with the (F) and (R) at 75th Ave - which is already done by the (E) and (F)). But then there would the (R) merging with the (F) northbound and with the (Q) southbound at Lex-63rd, which could be a potential bottleneck. And the (R) would have to run express in Manhattan and probably Brooklyn too.

So what you're saying basically is the (N) is running via QBL if this was to be the case. Because there is actually no way to have this other than basically replace it with the (N) because there would be another bottle neck at Brooklyn if the (R) went express and running to Bay Ridge instead of Coney. The plan would've been fine if it didn't screw another borough in the process. 

On 9/1/2020 at 10:07 PM, MHV9218 said:

The uncovered signage reveals continue to get more interesting. As well as the early 1980s Akzidenz signs along some (1) and (6) stations and the blank kiosks along the (R) and (J)(Z) lines, West 4th is now showing a sign last visible in 2008 or 2009. It's a 1990s enamel sign, with a sticker update for the (V) from 2001 as well as a sticker update for the elevator install from 2005. There have been at least two or three different signs installed over that one in the past decade. If anybody is aware of other stations undergoing replacements, let me know. Most of these are still visible, though a few have already been covered up. @Union Tpke

Wow. I personally don't understand why they feel to replace signs that are perfectly readable. If it is very faded and scratched, that is one thing. This is a waste of money at a time the agency doesn't have money to spare.