SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Theli11 said:

I was being sarcastic, and referring to something earlier. Mentally ill people fall victim to falling off on meds, which leads them to spiral off hard. They should definitely be treated, and checked on regularly by a nurse that can make sure they're on meds. 

Who’s gonna pay for it when even Dems are screwing Medicaid over with cutbacks and lowering the eligibility minimum?

Just now, Deucey said:

Who’s gonna pay for it when even Dems are screwing Medicaid over with cutbacks and lowering the eligibility minimum?

No idea, I was just saying best case scenario. It would be ideal, and I'm sure they can work something out that's better than what we have now. We're inside of a health crisis, now more than ever. Our Government is in shambles on both sides of the isle, especially seeing the two candidates for (re)election. These next 4 years are going to be a mess, I'm just hoping it's a mess we can clean up. 

17 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Disgusting... Too many mentally ill people walking around.

You should see W. 34th street between 6th & 8th av. during the wee hours of the morning.... If it weren't for the construction workers working on the roads, you'd think you were in a live/surreal reenactment of Night of the living dead....

11 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

You should see W. 34th street between 6th & 8th av. during the wee hours of the morning.... If it weren't for the construction workers working on the roads, you'd think you were in a live/surreal reenactment of Night of the living dead....

8th Ave and West 42nd around the vicinity of the PABT looks like that too. I hate walking around some parts of the city cause you’ll have a bunch of people nonstop asking you for food and money, it just sad to see it.
Meanwhile the city has been building up all these luxury apartments for years and many of them remain vacant. 

10 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

42nd is bad enough and I'm talking east of 8th Avenue, such as by 5th and 42nd. Aggressive panhandling. There are now guys in wheelchairs in the middle of 42nd St going up to cars waiting at the light and harassing drivers for money. Reminds me of 8th Avenue back in the day when it was a real s---hole (still is in most parts). There are so many empty storefronts now too, so all of the vacancies just draw more panhandlers out to set up shop and beg. I have not used the subway in months and refuse to do so, as it is clear that there are serious problems down below, and I know a lot of people that are driving in. Can't say I blame them either.

1 minute ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

8th Ave and West 42nd around the vicinity of the PABT looks like that too. I hate walking around some parts of the city cause you’ll have a bunch of people nonstop asking you for food and money, it just sad to see it.
Meanwhile the city has been building up all these luxury apartments for years and many of them remain vacant. 

PABT is like Skid Row now. It was never great, but it is really the pits now. I was over there a few weeks ago and so many empty storefronts there compared to just last year when I had a meeting for work nearby with the Port Authority. Just crazy. On the plus side, I see more and more tourists every week I'm in Midtown, so there's that for what it's worth.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

That segment of W. 34th I mentioned is significantly worse with all the homeless sleeping alongside establishments and/or wandering around during the overnight hours.... Sure, there are people aimlessly walking around & about W. 42nd also, but there is a larger police presence around/along W. 42nd than there is W. 34th..... The thing that annoys me about W. 42nd around PABT during the overnight hours are the aggressive, flamboyant dudes and the out-of-town beggars looking for an easy mark.... I've experienced both just last night around this same time, when I went go catch the NJT #139.....

You'll see people sleeping on the side streets before you get to W 42nd, but W 42nd itself, not so much..... Along W 34th itself? Forget it... It's so skeevy that it'll make you wanna take a bath as soon as you get home, just from walking along that stretch.

W. 42nd around PABT is worse during the daytime though, with the homeless wandering around.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

42nd is bad enough and I'm talking east of 8th Avenue, such as by 5th and 42nd. Aggressive panhandling. There are now guys in wheelchairs in the middle of 42nd St going up to cars waiting at the light and harassing drivers for money. Reminds me of 8th Avenue back in the day when it was a real s---hole (still is in most parts). There are so many empty storefronts now too, so all of the vacancies just draw more panhandlers out to set up shop and beg. I have not used the subway in months and refuse to do so, as it is clear that there are serious problems down below, and I know a lot of people that are driving in. Can't say I blame them either.

I took the (Q) last night to get to PABT during the midnight hour & I caught the (3) around 12pm in the afternoon getting back....  The latter was no problem, but for the former, as I was walking to the end of the car to grab a seat, some dude holding a beer can dropped the shit.... I still get the suspicion that he was trying to hit me with it on the low, but neither the can, nor a splash of anything got on me.... Dude sitting across from him picked the beer can up & gave what was left of what was inside it, back to him..... Then the both of them stands up & starts hugging each other, on some bro code type shit.... Very bizarre.

Nothing was ever said or muttered at me & no incident transpired from it, so no harm, no foul AFAIC... Well, save for putting up with the stench of cheap beer between Prospect Park & 42nd st :(

I should start filming my ventures, especially the overnight ones - since most people don't need/bother using public transit around that time (but may be inquisitive to how things actually are)..... There's a lot I don't share on here (largely due to laziness, I'll admit)....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The one time I went into Manhattan since the pandemic started I skipped the subway too and took the Bx12 across the bridge and got a BxM1 out of Inwood.

On top of all the homeless problems everyone's mentioned already, when you're fortunate enough to find an empty-ish subway car, there's always that one guy/lady that doesn't wear their mask. Then when you confront said person, you risk being assaulted/maced/pepper sprayed, etc.

The subway might be faster, but the express bus is safer overall (idk how crowded they've been during rush hours tho) and the difference isn't even close.

Edited by paulrivera

47 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

The one time I went into Manhattan since the pandemic started I skipped the subway too and took the Bx12 across the bridge and got a BxM1 out of Inwood.

On top of all the homeless problems everyone's mentioned already, when you're fortunate enough to find an empty-ish subway car, there's always that one guy/lady that doesn't wear their mask. Then when you confront said person, you risk being assaulted/maced/pepper sprayed, etc.

The subway might be faster, but the express bus is safer overall (idk how crowded they've been during rush hours tho) and the difference isn't even close.

Well you should never confront a Karen, period. You are already making a big mistake just confronting them, if it's an empty-ish subway car, just sit as far away from the Karen as possible. If the Karen starts speaking about why you are wearing a mask or to take off your mask (I've had that happen to me) let her know to just leave you the f*** alone to show her that you also don't mess around. Not the best possible solution to it, but it's better for the Karen to start something instead of you.

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

This is the reason why I originally thought there would be an uptick in express bus usage..... I'm in the same boat as you though; IDK how most the expresses are generally performing during the rush hours now, due to all this covid stuff either....

Shit, it felt funny just taking the BxM11 this past Monday (after finally taking the full Bx99 route) - haven't been on an express bus in months, before the fact.... The first bus that arrived at Woodlawn (4) after the fact was a Ropes av. bound Bx16, so I just took that to WPR (well actually, it was a BxM4 that zoomed by, the literal second I got off the dam Bx99... had zero chance to catch it, as there was no one waiting at that stop for the inbound BxM4)....

In any event, the general point you've conveying here is basically why I didn't wanna put up w/ the (2) from frickin Nereid at around 6:15 in the morning, all the way to Church av.....

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

Well you should never confront a Karen, period. You are already making a big mistake just confronting them, if it's an empty-ish subway car, just sit as far away from the Karen as possible. If the Karen starts speaking about why you are wearing a mask or to take off your mask (I've had that happen to me) let her know to just leave you the f*** alone to show her that you also don't mess around. Not the best possible solution to it, but it's better for the Karen to start something instead of you.

Karen or not, people should just leave people the f**k alone, period.

14 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

That segment of W. 34th I mentioned is significantly worse with all the homeless sleeping alongside establishments and/or wandering around during the overnight hours.... Sure, there are people aimlessly walking around & about W. 42nd also, but there is a larger police presence around/along W. 42nd than there is W. 34th..... The thing that annoys me about W. 42nd around PABT during the overnight hours are the aggressive, flamboyant dudes and the out-of-town beggars looking for an easy mark.... I've experienced both just last night around this same time, when I went go catch the NJT #139.....

You'll see people sleeping on the side streets before you get to W 42nd, but W 42nd itself, not so much..... Along W 34th itself? Forget it... It's so skeevy that it'll make you wanna take a bath as soon as you get home, just from walking along that stretch.

W. 42nd around PABT is worse during the daytime though, with the homeless wandering around.

I took the (Q) last night to get to PABT during the midnight hour & I caught the (3) around 12pm in the afternoon getting back....  The latter was no problem, but for the former, as I was walking to the end of the car to grab a seat, some dude holding a beer can dropped the shit.... I still get the suspicion that he was trying to hit me with it on the low, but neither the can, nor a splash of anything got on me.... Dude sitting across from him picked the beer can up & gave what was left of what was inside it, back to him..... Then the both of them stands up & starts hugging each other, on some bro code type shit.... Very bizarre.

Nothing was ever said or muttered at me & no incident transpired from it, so no harm, no foul AFAIC... Well, save for putting up with the stench of cheap beer between Prospect Park & 42nd st :(

I should start filming my ventures, especially the overnight ones - since most people don't need/bother using public transit around that time (but may be inquisitive to how things actually are)..... There's a lot I don't share on here (largely due to laziness, I'll admit)....

Now that I’m sitting here thinking about it West 34th street is definitely worst than I’ve ever seen it. I was just there two weeks ago but I guess I just zone in out because I’m so used to the homeless. There has always been homeless people sleeping around but now that they aren’t allowed to stay inside the Penn Station complex overnight they literally flood the sidewalks primarily between Broadway and 8th Ave. The eastbound M34 bus stop on W34th and 8th Ave is a hot spot for them. I always seeing homeless people sitting over there at that shelter and also in front of the Mc Donald’s on 8th Ave. I remember seeing about 12 homeless men over there at the M34 bus stop and they were talking loud and carrying on and it looked like they were fighting. Every time I turn around they are in front of the 7-Eleven and inside the capital one over there. The PABT over there on 8th Ave & West 42nd has its fair share of homeless but I don’t usually see them gathered up in mini groups like I’ve seen on 34th. I hate to make the comparison but over there is starting to look like 125th street by the (4)(5)(6) . 

I noticed that homelessness is getting worst in other areas as well. In Flushing  you have a bunch of them sleeping in front of the Queens Library on Main Street, they gather up in the park by the LIRR and there are just more of them around. Forest Hills on 71st Ave and Queens Blvd is another area that is getting bad. 

The pandemic has contributed to the rise of homelessness in the city but Cuomo and DiBlasio certainly hasn’t done anything themselves to help the problem. Instead under their rule things have gotten worst. 

17 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

NYC makes its money as an income tax shelter. Why tax everyone fairly and evenly when you can get more per transaction on luxury tax real estate flips?

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

NYC makes its money as an income tax shelter. Why tax everyone fairly and evenly when you can get more per transaction on luxury tax real estate flips?

Without all those luxury high rises NY would be even further up the creek than it is now. 

NYC has approx 60-70k homeless individuals. It also spends north of 2 billion a year on homelessness. Quick math says that's 30-40k per homeless person per year. Shoooooot, you could buy each and every one of them a house out in the Midwest or Texas within 5 years for that money. 

13 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

Quick math says that's 30-40k per homeless person per year. Shoooooot, you could buy each and every one of them a house out in the Midwest or Texas within 5 years for that money. 

Homeless people are better with money. Especially with food and clothes, since they're used to not having a lot. They should get a small apartment (something like NYCHA) from the city, get cleaned up, a set of new clothes and help them get a job. give them about 30k to live and Food Stamps, and make sure they're spending it wisely. maybe not in this economy but hopeful thinking in about.. 8 years.

2 hours ago, Theli11 said:

Homeless people are better with money. Especially with food and clothes, since they're used to not having a lot. They should get a small apartment (something like NYCHA) from the city, get cleaned up, a set of new clothes and help them get a job. give them about 30k to live and Food Stamps, and make sure they're spending it wisely. maybe not in this economy but hopeful thinking in about.. 8 years.

You gotta be out of your mind 

3 hours ago, Theli11 said:

In theory, perhaps people who are homeless would be more stringent because they don't have a lot to work with, but that's not how it works in reality. A lot of them have drug and/or alcohol problems, and they're using what they receive to buy alcohol or get their fix from someone. That's not good management of (extremely) low funds at all.

Then you have those with mental health issues, which clearly cannot make logical decisions on spending money. There's enough of those types on the subway and on the streets. You can't just give them money and think they'll know how to spend it. They need effective treatment first and foremost.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

5 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Then you have those with mental health issues, which clearly cannot make logical decisions on spending money. There's enough of those types on the subway and on the streets. You can't just give them money and think they'll know how to spend it. They need effective treatment first and foremost.

I think I said this earlier, treatment is very very important. I probably wasn't too clear in my second point.

On 9/22/2020 at 12:48 PM, Theli11 said:

Mentally ill people fall victim to falling off on meds, which leads them to spiral off hard. They should definitely be treated, and checked on regularly by a nurse that can make sure they're on meds. 

Connecting the two points I guess. 

4 hours ago, Theli11 said:

1 hour ago, Theli11 said:

I'll edit it to say $10k but i used shiznit1987's $30k estimation. 

Yeah, and where is this bonanza of money supposed to come from? The sky? A money tree? Sandy Claus? The leprechaun at the other end of the rainbow, perhaps? Do you realize how grave the homeless situation is.....

...and this idea that you're going to regulate money that's being gifted to these people?

There's nothing wrong with having a humanitarian mindset, but at the same time, you have to be realistic...... The road to hell is said to be paved with good intentions.

54 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

In theory, perhaps people who are homeless would be more stringent because they don't have a lot to work with, but that's not how it works in reality. A lot of them have drug and/or alcohol problems, and they're using what they receive to buy alcohol or get their fix from someone. That's not good management of (extremely) low funds at all.

Budgeting takes a certain level of discipline & restraint.... Hell, talk to the numerous million dollar plus lottery winners that went broke after a few years.

Whether it goes towards vices such as drugs & alcohol, the fact remains that it's simply far easier to splurge than it is to budget..... The concept isn't exempt to the homeless.

Edited by B35 via Church

2 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, and where is this bonanza of money supposed to come from? The sky? A money tree? Sandy Claus? The leprechaun at the other end of the rainbow, perhaps? Do you realize how grave the homeless situation is.....

...and this idea that you're going to regulate money that's being gifted to these people?

There's nothing wrong with having a humanitarian mindset, but at the same time, you have to be realistic...... The road to hell is said to be paved with good intentions.

I was referring to this. But yeah, I guess It's too big of an idea for too big of a problem.

17 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

NYC has approx 60-70k homeless individuals. It also spends north of 2 billion a year on homelessness. Quick math says that's 30-40k per homeless person per year. Shoooooot, you could buy each and every one of them a house out in the Midwest or Texas within 5 years for that money. 

29 minutes ago, M5viaRiverside said:

During the Rutgers Tunnel Shutdown on the weekends, why are (E) and (F) Trains swapping roles at Roosevelt Avenue instead of West 4th Street? Is it to offer (F) train customers an easier transfer to the (6) at 51st Street for LES service?

It is so (F) trains can continue to run into Brooklyn, even though I feel it would be easier to just run the (E) into Brooklyn replacing the (F) so that the (F) still runs via 6th Av, but it's whatever.

2 hours ago, M5viaRiverside said:

During the Rutgers Tunnel Shutdown on the weekends, why are (E) and (F) Trains swapping roles at Roosevelt Avenue instead of West 4th Street? Is it to offer (F) train customers an easier transfer to the (6) at 51st Street for LES service?

They don't want to use the switches at West 4th which I think is fair. Other GOs involving the (D) on 8th Avenue also complicate things.

2 hours ago, Vulturious said:

It is so (F) trains can continue to run into Brooklyn, even though I feel it would be easier to just run the (E) into Brooklyn replacing the (F) so that the (F) still runs via 6th Av, but it's whatever.

So you would have the (F) terminate at Delancey Street and have the (E) run on the (F) Line after West 4th Street? Seems like a scheduling hassle for crews by making the (E) route miles longer.