SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

18 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

They don't want to use the switches at West 4th which I think is fair. Other GOs involving the (D) on 8th Avenue also complicate things.

Then they really should print up some sort of map or diagram to show how weekend (E) and (F) service will run, and prominently display them in (E) and (F) stations, because it is going to confuse the hell out of a lot of people. At least for the four months in 2021, where it will be in effect continuously.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

They don't want to use the switches at West 4th which I think is fair. Other GOs involving the (D) on 8th Avenue also complicate things.

Right, the (C) would need to run on the express track if you had the (D) and (E) merging onto the 8th Avenue local track at West 4th Street. Spring Street would only be served by the (F) if you kept the (C) on the express track to avoid that merge. Their plan is starting to make a lot more sense with the (D) Train G.O.

Edited by M5viaRiverside

17 minutes ago, M5viaRiverside said:

So you would have the (F) terminate at Delancey Street and have the (E) run on the (F) Line after West 4th Street? Seems like a scheduling hassle for crews by making the (E) route miles longer.

They could have (F) crews operate the (E) (and vice-versa) in that scenario. That way you don't have to rewrite from scratch. 

The issue isn't so much the scheduling, but more of how foreign the (E) to Coney Island would be (as it's never happened in a G.O before) to riders and what they would do.  Queens riders are typically used multiple variations of the (E) / (F) swap, so it isn't too much of an issue there. It's more about reducing confusion for riders. 

If you think about it, for people who are traveling into Manhattan from their home station, it's more convenient for unaware riders to realize a train they're familiar with be rerouted, vs not getting on a train that stops nowhere near that stop, and then after letting trains go, getting on and still being clueless of where the train is going. You can put all the signs up in the world, and you'll still have people who won't see it, and will delay the train because they're holding doors and asking around.

You'll get that too on trains going from Manhattan, but generally, unaware riders would be more inclined to listen for announcements or go to the conductor if they're trying to go home from someplace. That way if it's a consecutive night/weekend G.O, they know more or less what to do after. Also, you wouldn't get scenarios such as riders normally getting on the (F) and then run around like their heads got cut off when the train all of sudden terminates at Delancey Street. 

6 minutes ago, vioreen said:

During night hours, instead of the (A) running from 207 to Far Rockaway why not just reroute it to Lefferts and have a shuttle (A) train From Euclid Ave to Far Rockaway.

Because then you would have it interfere with (A). The reason why during late nights the Lefferts Shuttle is running from Lefferts to Euclid is because the (A) is running local with no (C) service. 

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Then they really should print up some sort of map or diagram to show how weekend (E) and (F) service will run, and prominently display them in (E) and (F) stations, because it is going to confuse the hell out of a lot of people. At least for the four months in 2021, where it will be in effect continuously.

Why not put it on the paper and digital maps? If the TA is going to update it with more accessibility compliant stations soon, why not kill two birds with one stone?

37 minutes ago, vioreen said:

During night hours, instead of the (A) running from 207 to Far Rockaway why not just reroute it to Lefferts and have a shuttle (A) train From Euclid Ave to Far Rockaway.

Clearly, you've never tried to reach the Rockaways during the day.

13 hours ago, vioreen said:

The change was made as ridership is higher to the Rockaways than to Lefferts. It also allowed them to get rid of the round-robin shuttle.

48472961867_18dd4b5449_k.jpgIMG_1106 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48472938187_28b23c6311_k.jpgIMG_1107 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48472816041_12123dbc0a_k.jpgIMG_1108 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48472961612_ed4153dbf2_k.jpgIMG_1109 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48472815731_49a51b545d_k.jpgIMG_1110 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48472961237_ee439aeff6_k.jpgIMG_1111 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48472961112_a310bb5f9c_k.jpgIMG_1112 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48472815331_18158e1954_k.jpgIMG_1113 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48472815186_e16de77284_k.jpgIMG_1114 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48472815031_d196d98604_k.jpgIMG_1115 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48472961382_b5b99ce236_k.jpgIMG_1116 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48472960412_a12c46bb41_k.jpgIMG_1117 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Edited by Union Tpke

17 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

The change was made as ridership is higher to the Rockaways than to Lefferts. It also allowed them to get rid of the round-robin shuttle.....

Yeah, outside of Lefferts Blvd. itself on the Lefferts branch, yikes...... The quote-unquote intermediate stations along the Far Rock spur garners more patronage.

Edited by B35 via Church

19 hours ago, vioreen said:

While Far Rockaway stations don’t get crazy high usage it definitely beats what 104th and 111th street on the Lefferts branch gets. During the day minus Lefferts Blvd the other two stations are lightly used but at night it’s a ghost town. You also have to keep in mind that the Far Rock branch serves Howard Beach-JFK which is ideally a station the MTA would want to keep direct service to.

I find along the Lefferts branch more people tend to take use the bus to the (E) and (F). 104th street isn’t too far from Rockaway Blvd so you could technically walk it if you got on a Far Rock train. 

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

R143 #8132 now has the (L) train strip map updated. However, added on to the map is the (J)(Z) lines. Similar map structure to the (2)(5) lines. 

I wonder how expensive it would have been to retrofit the trains with a FIND like the R160s. 
I have to say I do like the strip map of the (J) and (Z) 

40 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I wonder how expensive it would have been to retrofit the trains with a FIND like the R160s. 
I have to say I do like the strip map of the (J) and (Z) 

Well they did spend money on these strip maps and I highly doubt the R143 are going to go on any other route other than the Eastern Division. I do have some hope that if they do actually go to some other route, they could run on the (G) so they can have more cars to run. Is it possible to reconfigure the R143 cars around to make them 5 car sets and not 4? I know that is going to decrease car sets down from 53 to like 42 with 1 or 2 odd cars out. Just out of curiosity, if it's not, totally understandable if you think this is a dumb question.

1 minute ago, Theli11 said:

It should show stops that the (Z) skips, though it's a small nitpick from me.

I don't see why it wouldn't show which stops the (Z) skips, just basically defeats the purpose of even showing the (Z) anyways since its all the same stops the (J) does.

11 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

Yeah that was discovered like 2 days ago, even my friends that could care less about transit found out about it. Not saying that as an insult, just the fact that even they knew was pretty surprising.

11 hours ago, Calvin said:

R143 #8132 now has the (L) train strip map updated. However, added on to the map is the (J)(Z) lines. Similar map structure to the (2)(5) lines. 

I demand compensation for this blatant theft of my idea.

Seriously though, it’s about time they’ve added the J/Z to the line maps on the 143s. It’s been years since these trains have started running on the J.

On a side-note, it looks like the J/Z portion is using old BMT rules making Broad St the “northern terminal” instead of going geographically north-south like the other line maps.

8 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

I'm not sure if this is in the right thread:

If the 40% Service reductions come to pass, I wouldn't be surprised if the R46s get put into storage.

Right thread, I just think there's gonna be limited service. (B)(W)(Z) won't run, and there will be wider intervals between trains. Something like what happened in the start-middle of quarantine. Just less service along the lines. Putting train cars in storage would be one of those reductions, unless it's the R179s, but those are already flip floppity. 

In case anybody wondered what a Redbird R21 would have looked like... Not a great paint job, but you get the idea. No service R21s or R22s were painted as a Redbirds, and only a couple dozen R17s were painted as redbirds.

And why it received the number of museum R33WF 9306, beyond me.

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

In case anybody wondered what a Redbird R21 would have looked like... Not a great paint job, but you get the idea. No service R21s or R22s were painted as a Redbirds, and only a couple dozen R17s were painted as redbirds.

And why it received the number of museum R33WF 9306, beyond me.

s-l1600.jpg

Why do you think that it’s not R33 9306 ? Just curious.