SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 10/16/2020 at 1:32 AM, Calvin said:

There will be a subway closure on the (L) line, one is Livonia Av as they will prepare installing elevators at that station. Set date is next month. 

Elevators as well as a free connection between the (3) and (L) lines for a smooth transfer as well

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

If you zoom in to the map, you'll be able to see moving icons denoting the trains along a certain path (I believe in real time). However there already is something wrong that I found, and it is that it shows the (E) going to Jamaica Van-Wyck as branching off from the QBL at Union Turnpike (when it's done at Briarwood). 

8 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

If you zoom in to the map, you'll be able to see moving icons denoting the trains along a certain path (I believe in real time). However there already is something wrong that I found, and it is that it shows the (E) going to Jamaica Van-Wyck as branching off from the QBL at Union Turnpike (when it's done at Briarwood). 

There are many geographic problems with it. At least it shows the Ws to 86th, the 2s to New Lots, the 5s to Utica, and the Ns to 96th on the map.

51 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

42 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

There are many geographic problems with it. At least it shows the Ws to 86th, the 2s to New Lots, the 5s to Utica, and the Ns to 96th on the map.

I don't think it's that big of a deal when it comes to geographic side of this. Pretty sure the point was to create a new live map of services running like later on tonight with (D) trains being split during the weekend only running between Norwood-205th St and 34th St-Herald Sqaure as well as Coney Island and 9th Av. This was to just add on, it works pretty well. too. Is this implemented into an app for people on smartphones? It would at least give a better idea of how service is running.

40 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So if your still on a train at 12:50 AM and you still have 30 minutes left to get to your destination, does (MTA) kick you off the train after 1 AM or do they let you ride until your stop?

They’ll let you stay on the train till it gets to the terminal. You can also transfer to those connecting shuttle trains (5, Lefferts A, R) past 1 (to connect with trains that have runs that start before 1 but end after 1)

7 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 The MTA just made it easier to farebeat at Bedford Avenue on the (L). Idiots. There are many athletic guys who would be willing to climb over that fence.

They've been bringing those back at a variety of stations. I first noticed it at 34th Street, I think GCT may be getting it next, some of the ESI stations. Like most "new" additions, it's a design that was used until the 70s and then abandoned (with good reason). Easily hopped. You wonder who the consultants are dreaming this stuff up.

I'm probably the only one that thinks that the Coney Island 160s should be sent to the (A) in exchange for the 46s. That's the buff in me, but 160/179 (A) with the occasional 46 (with most of them being on the (C)) just sounds better.

1 hour ago, NBTA said:

I'm probably the only one that thinks that the Coney Island 160s should be sent to the (A) in exchange for the 46s. That's the buff in me, but 160/179 (A) with the occasional 46 (with most of them being on the (C)) just sounds better.

Sending more R46's to Coney Island would make service on Broadway worse than it already is. I've been hearing a lot about how they tend to break down. They also need to keep those R160's probably for the (G) because of Culver CBTC. Sure it's being installed where the (G) doesn't operate, but it deadheads from Church Av, I don't know how often it deadheads either.

12 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Sending more R46's to Coney Island would make service on Broadway worse than it already is. I've been hearing a lot about how they tend to break down. They also need to keep those R160's probably for the (G) because of Culver CBTC. Sure it's being installed where the (G) doesn't operate, but it deadheads from Church Av, I don't know how often it deadheads either.

NYCT needs to exercise all R211 option in order to get rid of all SMEE trains.

3 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 The MTA just made it easier to farebeat at Bedford Avenue on the (L). Idiots. There are many athletic guys who would be willing to climb over that fence.

MTA Announces New Station Improvements at the Bedford Av L Station

I'd like to see someone jump that without hitting their head...

Not saying it's impossible but it's definitely not likely.

3 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

MTA Announces New Station Improvements at the Bedford Av L Station

It's no wonder they are broke with nonsense like this.  Today I tried using OMNY to pay for my express bus trip. It would NOT take the payment from my phone. Just kept saying it wouldn't go through. Tried twice more when I got off. No dice... Tonight I will try one of my wireless cards to pay because I don't want to refill just yet, and that's the whole point of OMNY.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's no wonder they are broke with nonsense like this.  Today I tried using OMNY to pay for my express bus trip. It would NOT take the payment from my phone. Just kept saying it wouldn't go through. Tried twice more when I got off. No dice... Tonight I will try one of my wireless cards to pay because I don't want to refill just yet, and that's the whole point of OMNY.

Did that to me when I tried using my Apple Wallet balance instead of the Apple Wallet version of my bank card

Just now, Deucey said:

Did that to me when I tried using my Apple Wallet balance instead of the Apple Wallet version of my bank card

I'm going to try with one of my wireless cards tonight.  I set up Google Pay yesterday and even got confirmation that the card was ready to go with my phone. Smh. $6.75 saved, so can't complain too much I guess.

It is so surreal waiting for a train along one of the QBL stations and seeing an almost empty Jamaica bound (E) train pass you by at 7:30 in the evening. I remember the times I would be upset when I would come from work and or school and would literally have to pass up the (E) train because there would be no room to get on. Most of the time I would opt for the (R) or (M) because there would always be room but nowadays the (E) trains be emptier than the local trains at times. Just a constant reminder of the times we live in.