SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

58 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It is so surreal waiting for a train along one of the QBL stations and seeing an almost empty Jamaica bound (E) train pass you by at 7:30 in the evening. I remember the times I would be upset when I would come from work and or school and would literally have to pass up the (E) train because there would be no room to get on. Most of the time I would opt for the (R) or (M) because there would always be room but nowadays the (E) trains be emptier than the local trains at times. Just a constant reminder of the times we live in. 

You'd be surprised on how useful the (E) is past Jamaica-Van Wyck. Those trains be filled until the end, but I think many people are using the 179 Es as an extra to the (F).

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It is so surreal waiting for a train along one of the QBL stations and seeing an almost empty Jamaica bound (E) train pass you by at 7:30 in the evening. I remember the times I would be upset when I would come from work and or school and would literally have to pass up the (E) train because there would be no room to get on. Most of the time I would opt for the (R) or (M) because there would always be room but nowadays the (E) trains be emptier than the local trains at times. Just a constant reminder of the times we live in. 

I'm just enjoying the fact that when I do go to Manhattan, standing is optional on the Lex.

3 hours ago, NBTA said:

You'd be surprised on how useful the (E) is past Jamaica-Van Wyck. Those trains be filled until the end, but I think many people are using the 179 Es as an extra to the (F).

A lot of people have no choice but to take the (E) to the shuttle because the Q4, N4, Q5, Q42, Q84 and Q85 have no connection to the Hillside Ave stations.  
I do have to say I like being able to catch either the (E) or the (F) at Parsons Blvd. A little throwback to the pre Archer Ave days. This temporary service pattern would have been so useful if everything (colleges, jobs) was up and running like normal.

On 10/21/2020 at 7:32 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

68/68A’s would remain though unless the R211’s (if all Options are exercised) managed to replace some of them 

By the way, when are those equipment's due to retire? because you making it sound like they be around forever.

21 minutes ago, vioreen said:

By the way, when are those equipment's due to retire? because you making it sound like they be around forever.

Given that they entered service around 1984-1986, I speculate that they’ll retire between 2034-2036 in order to complete the 50 year cycle, that would be my best guess

Been debating whether to bring this up or not in the past but with all of this free time here's my random thought(s). There's no slight or antagonistic feelings directed toward any forum members but after a discussion with some of my school car buddies I (we) should point out a difference in our way of thinking about some subjects. From our earliest training in RTO transfers are frowned upon. The very act of making a transfer introduces a delay in one's commute and adds to the running time. This includes cross platform connections. There's a reason why this is one of the things stressed in conductor training. It is especially to be avoided in commission (rush) hours. I've seen proposals mentioned that IRT service in Brooklyn should be divided where Seventh Avenue trains run exclusively on the Nostrand line while Lex service runs out to Utica/New Lots. It's been said that this will speed up service and more trains can be run through the area. We look at it in another way. Whom is clamoring for more trains, in the morning rush, to head toward Manhattan from Brooklyn ? Short of a rebuild of the junction someone is going to be sitting at Nostrand or President  no matter what. Train crews aren't complaining because it's built into the schedule. From what I see you've just moved the delay to Franklin Avenue and the cross platform transfer that's  to be avoided. Perhaps some posters aren't old enough to realize that the East-West combinations on both branches was something that the ridership clamored for for years, that and Mid-day express service in Brooklyn. While we're speaking of transfers how many are aware of why the (E) , (F) , and (M) services are set up entering and leaving Queens toward Manhattan ? It's because of the major bottleneck at  the Lexington-53rd station. The transfer to the Lex (6) would create dangerous conditions almost every morning on the platforms. There weren't enough stairways to allow the passengers from the first train to leave before the second train arrived. The 63rd St option allowed the crowding problem to be alleviated by running the (F) that way while leaving the old option of Sixth Avenue-Eighth Avenue service at 53rd St with the (M)(E)  split. What we were taught is that train routing and service was supposed to be for the benefit of the riders. More trains running, by itself, does not equate to a better commute. Although those days are long gone I can give you an example of service geared toward the commuter. Rush hour BMT from Queens. #15 service running skip-stop from 168th St. Trains were labeled A or B making stops like today's (J)(Z) . There were Lexington Avenue (BK) el trains starting at 168th St or 111 St,  #14 Broadway(BK) Short line trains entering at Crescent St or Eastern Parkway or Rockaway Parkway headed toward Downtown Brooklyn or Lower Manhattan. Meanwhile the Fulton El had trains headed toward the same destination from Lefferts with a rush hour variant toward 8th Ave-14th St (today's (L) ). I'm leaving out the Myrtle and the Southern BMT intentionally but I'm trying to point out service geared toward the rider. All done with no CBTC, towers at 168th, tower 1, 2, and 3, at Atlantic, the flyover, end of platform at Eastern Parkway, Broadway and Lex, and Myrtle upper. BTW the BMT Southern ran 5 services through 57th-7th every rush hour, again no CBTC. Two locals, (QT), (R) , and three expresses , (N) , (Q) and (T) . It appears, at least to me and some of my coworkers, that some folks are like a poster we all know who just wants to run trains randomly on all tracks for whatever reason. Just our take. YMMV. Carry on.

18 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Been debating whether to bring this up or not in the past but with all of this free time here's my random thought(s). There's no slight or antagonistic feelings directed toward any forum members but after a discussion with some of my school car buddies I (we) should point out a difference in our way of thinking about some subjects. From our earliest training in RTO transfers are frowned upon. The very act of making a transfer introduces a delay in one's commute and adds to the running time. This includes cross platform connections. There's a reason why this is one of the things stressed in conductor training. It is especially to be avoided in commission (rush) hours. I've seen proposals mentioned that IRT service in Brooklyn should be divided where Seventh Avenue trains run exclusively on the Nostrand line while Lex service runs out to Utica/New Lots. It's been said that this will speed up service and more trains can be run through the area. We look at it in another way. Whom is clamoring for more trains, in the morning rush, to head toward Manhattan from Brooklyn ? Short of a rebuild of the junction someone is going to be sitting at Nostrand or President  no matter what. Train crews aren't complaining because it's built into the schedule. From what I see you've just moved the delay to Franklin Avenue and the cross platform transfer that's  to be avoided. Perhaps some posters aren't old enough to realize that the East-West combinations on both branches was something that the ridership clamored for for years, that and Mid-day express service in Brooklyn. While we're speaking of transfers how many are aware of why the (E) , (F) , and (M) services are set up entering and leaving Queens toward Manhattan ? It's because of the major bottleneck at  the Lexington-53rd station. The transfer to the Lex (6) would create dangerous conditions almost every morning on the platforms. There weren't enough stairways to allow the passengers from the first train to leave before the second train arrived. The 63rd St option allowed the crowding problem to be alleviated by running the (F) that way while leaving the old option of Sixth Avenue-Eighth Avenue service at 53rd St with the (M)(E)  split. What we were taught is that train routing and service was supposed to be for the benefit of the riders. More trains running, by itself, does not equate to a better commute. Although those days are long gone I can give you an example of service geared toward the commuter. Rush hour BMT from Queens. #15 service running skip-stop from 168th St. Trains were labeled A or B making stops like today's (J)(Z) . There were Lexington Avenue (BK) el trains starting at 168th St or 111 St,  #14 Broadway(BK) Short line trains entering at Crescent St or Eastern Parkway or Rockaway Parkway headed toward Downtown Brooklyn or Lower Manhattan. Meanwhile the Fulton El had trains headed toward the same destination from Lefferts with a rush hour variant toward 8th Ave-14th St (today's (L) ). I'm leaving out the Myrtle and the Southern BMT intentionally but I'm trying to point out service geared toward the rider. All done with no CBTC, towers at 168th, tower 1, 2, and 3, at Atlantic, the flyover, end of platform at Eastern Parkway, Broadway and Lex, and Myrtle upper. BTW the BMT Southern ran 5 services through 57th-7th every rush hour, again no CBTC. Two locals, (QT), (R) , and three expresses , (N) , (Q) and (T) . It appears, at least to me and some of my coworkers, that some folks are like a poster we all know who just wants to run trains randomly on all tracks for whatever reason. Just our take. YMMV. Carry on.

Thanks for bringing this up; it's good to still hear voices of reason on these boards that provide both historical context and a reality check to counterbalance some of the more ridiculous deinterlining proposals that show up.  Trust me, it's not just you who's scratching their head reading some of the "ideas" on here.

Edited by R10 2952

41 minutes ago, vioreen said:

Hopefully they will intergrade SIR with NYCTA, should it ? 

It is. SIRTOA is run by (NYCT) even though it's officially owned by (MTA) (since MTA actually owns the railroads separate from NYCTA).

But to make it a division other Boris could transfer to, you'd need the unions to merge. Having been through that (my union in Northern California, SEIU Local 250, merged with the SoCal sister union, Local 399, and too many of us saw our company seniority numbers fall because 399 had more longer term employees), and watching when companies with unionized staff merge, there's little incentive for union members to want to do that beyond wage parity - since every member loses.

Plus, having fewer unions doesn't help (MTA) since it means more employees can strike at the same time, and because wage and benefit parity would be non-negotiable, the operating costs go up.

So no - won't happen.

On 10/21/2020 at 6:58 PM, vioreen said:

NYCT needs to exercise all R211 option in order to get rid of all SMEE trains.

They Should Do this, Replace all The remaining R32's,all the R46's and All the R68's (If we have the funds)

They talk about CBTC this, CBTC that. If they want to modernize the system, those R68's gotta go.

I'm Not a fan of 75 foot subway cars in the present day. If it were up to me, All the 75 footers would be gone with the R211 order.

IMO It's cheaper than to do another order for 800-900 cars. They can focus on improving subway lines and etc. It'll be about 10-15 years for the R143's to be replaced.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:56 PM, Deucey said:

It is. SIRTOA is run by (NYCT) even though it's officially owned by (MTA) (since MTA actually owns the railroads separate from NYCTA).

But to make it a division other Boris could transfer to, you'd need the unions to merge. Having been through that (my union in Northern California, SEIU Local 250, merged with the SoCal sister union, Local 399, and too many of us saw our company seniority numbers fall because 399 had more longer term employees), and watching when companies with unionized staff merge, there's little incentive for union members to want to do that beyond wage parity - since every member loses.

Plus, having fewer unions doesn't help (MTA) since it means more employees can strike at the same time, and because wage and benefit parity would be non-negotiable, the operating costs go up.

So no - won't happen.

So it all has to do with coalition matters, but remember, SI is a borough of New York City is just awkward how SI is treated as not part of New York City, dose it has to do with geographic factors ?

On 10/22/2020 at 11:37 PM, R32 3838 said:

They Should Do this, Replace all The remaining R32's,all the R46's and All the R68's (If we have the funds)

They talk about CBTC this, CBTC that. If they want to modernize the system, those R68's gotta go.

I'm Not a fan of 75 foot subway cars in the present day. If it were up to me, All the 75 footers would be gone with the R211 order.

IMO It's cheaper than to do another order for 800-900 cars. They can focus on improving subway lines and etc. It'll be about 10-15 years for the R143's to be replaced.

I don't think the r143 would get replaced anytime soon, look at the SMEE trains they been around for more than 50 years so expect the new tech trains to be around longer than that. 

42 minutes ago, vioreen said:

So it all has to do with coalition matters, but remember, SI is a borough of New York City is just awkward how SI is treated as not part of New York City, dose it has to do with geographic factors ?

1) How often do you go to (and not through) Staten Island?

2) Remember that the B&O Railroad operated the SI Railway as a passenger and freight service when NYC was franchising the subway and Els.

3) The “Is SI really NYC?” argument is an old psychological and sociological question - not a legal one.

46 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

We're starting to have crew shortages on the subway again. I hope it doesn't get worse.

"You may experience longer waits for (3) trains in both directions. We are running as many trains as we can with the operators we have available."

Yikes, and the (4) isn't running in BK ethier due to a G.O.

On 10/21/2020 at 4:00 PM, Union Tpke said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 The MTA just made it easier to farebeat at Bedford Avenue on the (L). Idiots. There are many athletic guys who would be willing to climb over that fence.

MTA Announces New Station Improvements at the Bedford Av L Station

On 10/21/2020 at 7:24 PM, Around the Horn said:

I'd like to see someone jump that without hitting their head...

Not saying it's impossible but it's definitely not likely.

You don't even have to be athletic - just short.

pfft, simply couldn't have spared an extra row higher (as in, 5 panels high, instead of 4) now could they? Smh....

On 10/21/2020 at 5:35 PM, paulrivera said:

Did you guys know retired Mets pitcher John Franco had...

*reads stat on subway countdown clock* 276 saves as a Met?

Don't get what point you're making by bringing this up..... Of what (other) relevance is the number 276, outside of the number of saves he had?

On 10/21/2020 at 7:31 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's no wonder they are broke with nonsense like this.  Today I tried using OMNY to pay for my express bus trip. It would NOT take the payment from my phone. Just kept saying it wouldn't go through. Tried twice more when I got off. No dice... Tonight I will try one of my wireless cards to pay because I don't want to refill just yet, and that's the whole point of OMNY.

I typically don't like tap-and-go (or whatever you wanna call it) technology.... Had a frustrating experience at my previous two jobs with entry/exit cards - So much so that it was actually a question I asked the interviewer for this place I'm working at now... Access card to gain entry to the god damn bathroom FFS; I've always thought that shit was illegal, but apparently not.

On 10/21/2020 at 9:00 PM, NBTA said:

Maybe the case for the (E), but for the (J), not nearly as much.... I've always gotten a kick out of how EB trains on the latter tank at Sutphin in the mornings.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:35 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

As usual, you raise valid & solid points.... I guarantee you though that all of this is falling on blind eyes to a fanatic.... To be somewhat fair however, the transit community is one of few places you'll see where there isn't a certain, blatant disrespect of history.... The younger folks here may be ignorant to a lot of it, but they don't flat out disrespect it (well, of what I've noticed anyway)....

....and then there are the old fools that should know better... You know what they say about old dogs & new tricks.

3 hours ago, vioreen said:

I wouldn't know it, given https://empireoutlets.nyc

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

I typically don't like tap-and-go (or whatever you wanna call it) technology.... Had a frustrating experience at my previous two jobs with entry/exit cards - So much so that it was actually a question I asked the interviewer for this place I'm working at now... Access card to gain entry to the god damn bathroom FFS; I've always thought that shit was illegal, but apparently not.

Yeah, OMNY absolutely would not work with my phone at all, so I had to use one of my wireless cards.  It has not been charging me consistently.  First used my card Wednesday night coming home after trying my phone going in (same wireless card linked to the phone).  Wednesday night it charged me $2.75, then credited me that back and did not charge the $6.75 until the following day, where it charged me the $6.75 (Recover), so I got three $6.75 charges that day.  Today I took two express bus trips. So far it has only charged me for the first one, and that wasn't until I made a transfer.