Pre-Employment application

Carlosgon87

Employment history is diffidently 10 years only. And the HS diploma is required. When I originally got hired in 2006 they asked me for it and made a copy of it. This second time around they asked me to bring it in but couldn't be any less interested in it. Word of advice for potential new hires, just bring in every document you have that's listed on the pre-employment letter. It's never a bad idea to be prepared. I mean the last time I was down people actually didn't bring their social security cards and that's the most basic of ID's for any job.

i recieved my pre employment letter today for 2801 its about time.its my second time around my license is 3 years old iam ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hii...

everything went fine so far........ Today was my 1st day at work, i was at HR, for Orientation. Tomorow also....... After that i have training for few week, according to them....... Thanks to all for all the help and support.... :-)

Hii...

everything went fine so far........ Today was my 1st day at work, i was at HR, for Orientation. Tomorow also....... After that i have training for few week, according to them....... Thanks to all for all the help and support.... :-)

No problem, and welcome aboard the TA train wreck LMAO. But seriously just get thru your 1st year (1 year probation) nice and easy. Try to work nights and limit your OT, so you can have as least amount of exposure to the job and customers as possible. So you can lower your chances of complaints. After you get the "P" moved from in front of your name your good. Just stay off sick control, and being late and you won't have many problems working for TA. And also start your 401K or 457B contributions or both ASAP.

No problem, and welcome aboard the TA train wreck LMAO. But seriously just get thru your 1st year (1 year probation) nice and easy. Try to work nights and limit your OT, so you can have as least amount of exposure to the job and customers as possible. So you can lower your chances of complaints. After you get the "P" moved from in front of your name your good. Just stay off sick control, and being late and you won't have many problems working for TA. And also start your 401K or 457B contributions or both ASAP.

Hey Will, great advice on the retirement plan investing asap. I'm really glad to hear they let you go in right away. Some places make you wait. It would be even better if they do any matching too.

Hey Will, great advice on the retirement plan investing asap. I'm really glad to hear they let you go in right away. Some places make you wait. It would be even better if they do any matching too.

Yeah it would be nice if they matched, but they don't. I believe companies that don't offer pensions match your 401k contributions. And you can only get a 457b if you work for a municipality.

Yeah it would be nice if they matched, but they don't. I believe companies that don't offer pensions match your 401k contributions. And you can only get a 457b if you work for a municipality.

Times being what they are I guess it's tough to get both. It used to be that way, maybe not city jobs.

Hii...

Good luck, What exam and list number were you on??

Times being what they are I guess it's tough to get both. It used to be that way, maybe not city jobs.

Yeah the companies that match don't offer a pension plan, and expect you to manage your own retirement plan via 401k. I'm very glad the TA offers more options with retirement plans, but matching your contributions would be pushing it don't you think?.

Yeah the companies that match don't offer a pension plan, and expect you to manage your own retirement plan via 401k. I'm very glad the TA offers more options with retirement plans, but matching your contributions would be pushing it don't you think?.

I used to have the match on Wall St. There is a pension also. Some companies still have both, pushing it or not.

Why do you need a 401k when you have a pension? A 401k can be wiped out by market crashes. A pension is guaranteed.

It depends on how they're invested. 401k's or any retirement plans do not have to invest in equities where you can really be hurt by the market and economy. Nothing is guaranteed.

Why do you need a 401k when you have a pension? A 401k can be wiped out by market crashes. A pension is guaranteed.

Because some people prefer to have more control over their money than others. And if you keep your stock in your employer's stable stock you never have to worry about losing money. And also me having a 401K and 457B saved me greatly while I was unemployed. I rolled them both over into an IRA and have made much more money investing them in stocks and mutual funds than I ever did with TA's fund. And also Donald if you make that sad mistake as so money of the old timers in TA have made and solely rely on your pension. You will be working 35-40 years cause you will realize it's not enough to live on. And pensions can be wiped out too, Bernie Madoff ring a bell?. And also just for the before tax savings makes it worth it. I've made over 60K for the past three years and have only been taxed on about 47K of it. When I was terminated from TA I had just a lil over 30K saved up between the two accounts in just 4 1/2 years.

True Will, but remember one important thing: There is no such thing as a "stable stock." In the past, Enron and General Motors were considered to be some of the most stable stock in the world.

Yeah I know what you mean, but I'm not talking common stocks here. I'm talking about your companies 401k stable fund stock. They are usually worth like 2-3 bucks. They steadily rise in value, but very rarely lose value. Even with the economic meltdown of 2008 I didn't lose a single penny. But also remember scared money don't make money. Since I've started my IRA I've gained much more than I've lost. If that starts to change drastically I can always re-balance my portfolio.

Hey im filling out my comprehensive personnel document (cpd-:P and i have the following question;

1. as a non resident of nyc, am i required to move to nyc for the car inspector position?

2. I have more than 4 schools to list and it says to request additional data sheets. Do i just write this on a blank sheet and request this when they do call me or is there a way i can get an additional sheet before then?

3. On the employment sheet is says to use a section for each time i was unemployed for more then 4 months, should i still list the times i was unemployed for less than 4 months?

The answer to your first question is NO. From the last CI aunnocement: "Residency: City residency is not required for this position."

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808080000.pdf

alright thank you

anybody else can answer my 2 other questions?

2. I have more than 4 schools to list and it says to request additional data sheets. Do i just write this on a blank sheet and request this when they do call me or is there a way i can get an additional sheet before then?

3. On the employment sheet is says to use a section for each time i was unemployed for more then 4 months, should i still list the times i was unemployed for less than 4 months?

With an IRA or 401k account, you can invest in anything, not just stocks.

I currently hold a lot of gold, bonds, and mutual funds. Some equities, but not too much.

You have much more control over an IRA because with a 401k they tell you what you can invest in and you can "pick from the list". With an IRA you can invest in whatever you want.

Defined benefit pension plans are the best thing, but they are rare. Defined contribution pension plans aren't quite as nice and you have no control over their performance in the market.

With an IRA or 401k account, you can invest in anything, not just stocks.

I currently hold a lot of gold, bonds, and mutual funds. Some equities, but not too much.

You have much more control over an IRA because with a 401k they tell you what you can invest in and you can "pick from the list". With an IRA you can invest in whatever you want.

Defined benefit pension plans are the best thing, but they are rare. Defined contribution pension plans aren't quite as nice and you have no control over their performance in the market.

Exactly, and that's why I will not be closing my IRA account. I will keep contributing the maximum of $5000 a year, and re-open my 401K and 457B accounts with TA.

alright thank you

THere should be blank sheets.just make copies.Whatever you do NOT omit anything.

YES!!!!! List EVERY period of unemployment.IF you fail to doso and they find a discrepancy when they do your background check.its BYE BYE!!!

I hate the fact that it's so easy to make an honest mistake. There may be periods of time in between REAL (tax paying jobs) jobs when one might take a small gig off the books just to be able to eat. And the MTA frowns upon this, do they not? Most of the time it isn't as if you have a choice either, like in my case how do I explain that for about 2 years twice I had to work off the books doing odd jobs to support myself? If this falls under a "period of unemployment" how does one explain how they supported themselves without getting into a mess?

A few years ago I even worked as an agent of sorts booking gigs for some local rock bands and getting local artists painting jobs. I paid no taxes for this, it wasn't steady money whatsoever. It was more like luck money.

Just because you work off the books does not mean you can't pay taxes on your income. You can independently file income taxes as if you are self-employed. For the past 2 years, I have worked as an independent contractor, which means I must pay all my taxes on my own. My employer does not deduct any taxes from my income.

alright thank you

I would write the 4th school in a separate sheet of regular paper (in the same format) & when you get to 180 Livingston st, just ask them if this is ok or do you have to put it in a sheet.......... OR make a copy of that page (if you havent written in there and fill it in, but dont attach it to that packet until you ask them)......... Thats the best answer i can give you.....

NO, Only the time that you were unemployed for more than 4 months straight.

Just because you work off the books does not mean you can't pay taxes on your income. You can independently file income taxes as if you are self-employed. For the past 2 years, I have worked as an independent contractor, which means I must pay all my taxes on my own. My employer does not deduct any taxes from my income.

That maybe so and frankly its the law, no argument. However, the government and YOU are under the impression that people can pay their taxes and take care of themselves on immigrant slave wages and this just isnt the case. This particular problem has happened to millions of people and especially lately. Ill tell you how left wing I am, if our government is actually going to enforce a $7.25 an hour minimum wage then at the very least you shouldnt have to pay any taxes on it under 40 hours.

That maybe so and frankly its the law, no argument. However, the government and YOU are under the impression that people can pay their taxes and take care of themselves on immigrant slave wages and this just isnt the case. This particular problem has happened to millions of people and especially lately. Ill tell you how left wing I am, if our government is actually going to enforce a $7.25 an hour minimum wage then at the very least you shouldnt have to pay any taxes on it under 40 hours.

If you're making 7.25 an hr you don't pay ferderal income taxes.

Archived