BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Snorunts said:

528 (and possibly 535) at College Point has NYC Bus decals. I believe a 190-something from College Point has them as well.

The ones at CP with NYCT decals are 194, 216, 217, (230-232 were transferred from JG) 528 and 535.

Speaking of CP, one of the drivers again had the “Mask Required” and “Fare Required” sign on the Q25 but wasn’t picking up anyone. The bus was completely empty like last time it happened to me. So whoever needed the Q25 is forced to wait 40 minutes at close to midnight. The sign never flashed the Q25 at all but you could track it on bus time. I don’t like to wish bad on people but the guy needs to lose his job because he is not doing his job. It was bus #613 and I think the guy used the same exact bus before. 

33 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I was looking at the complaint page, but it seems like I have to call them. I was just hoping to send an email. 

Meh. Do like I used to when the S42 driver would leave the ferry layover 10 minutes late to avoid taking passengers or would claim the wheelchair ramp wouldn't close so we'd have to bunch on the overcrowded s52: put the info on Twitter to "at NYCTBus" and snap his control ID number.

He'll pick everyone up the next day or get reassigned.

14 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

The Bx99 is so popular the buses are bunching up

I believe they're doing that on purpose (sending buses within minutes of each other). Several intervals have two buses sent out instead of one. Even with artics, some of the individual buses are close to being SRO. Although there are some intervals where buses are going missing too. 

44 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, I'm finding that the B99 & the M99 are running consistently, while the Bx99's running erratic as hell....

Isn't the Bx99 the most crowded outta the 99 series? People from the Bronx have a tendency of working in Manhattan past 1, so it makes sense.

43 minutes ago, NBTA said:

Isn't the Bx99 the most crowded outta the 99 series? People from the Bronx have a tendency of working in Manhattan past 1, so it makes sense.

At the end of the day it’s a numbers game. If all 3 buses routes do very well they will be kept which puts the likelihood that 24 hour subway will not return. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

2 hours ago, NBTA said:

Couldn't tell you.... I seldom actually see the Bx99 ever since I've been taking the B99 or the M99.... One thing I'm growing sick of though whilst on either of the 2 aforementioned routes is being asked either of "does this bus go to the Bronx" or "what bus do I take to get to __________ (some street in the Bronx)"

8 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Funny thing is the fact it went from artics to standards back to artics within a month.

"RANDOM THOUGHT"

6 hours ago, NBTA said:

At this point, yes it is the most crowded. Artics were taken off because the ridership was lower than expected. However, in the last week or so, ridership basically exploded. Now on top of artics, they have them sending two buses as crowd mitigation (which is a very recent thing). 

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

At this point, yes it is the most crowded. Artics were taken off because the ridership was lower than expected. However, in the last week or so, ridership basically exploded. Now on top of artics, they have them sending two buses as crowd mitigation (which is a very recent thing). 

The Bx99 goes to all the right places. It serves catchment areas for both the (4) and the (D), the route from Fordham on down in the Bronx are **very** high density neighborhoods (you should see all the folks that come on and off the Bx1/2/3 and Bx32 in particular right at Fordham going northbound during the day) and the Upper East Side is pretty high density as well.

Midtown goes without saying, that’s where all the money is.

Just now, paulrivera said:

The Bx99 goes to all the right places. It serves catchment areas for both the (4) and the (D), the route from Fordham on down in the Bronx are **very** high density neighborhoods (you should see all the folks that come on and off the Bx1/2/3 and Bx32 in particular right at Fordham going northbound during the day) and the Upper East Side is pretty high density as well.

Midtown goes without saying, that’s where all the money is.

It also goes to show you how such a route makes all the difference in terms of ridership. The BxM4 (when it operated every 30 minutes) never had these overcrowding issues, even though it operated into Manhattan and served similar areas as the Bx99 did (until it reached Midtown). Looks like operating via Jerome was more worthwhile than operating via Norwood and Grand Concourse between Woodlawn (4) and Burnside Avenue. Also take into account that the Bx99 replaces the (Q) in the Upper East Side, acts like a pseudo M15 SBS north of 60th Street, and operates like a psuedo M11 south of 57th Street. 

One thing I've seen is people getting off Bx99s (from either direction) at 60/61st Streets to transfer to the Q60. 

How does the Q32, Q60 do in terms of ridership overnight since the subway gets closed. 

I wonder about the Q66 as well because I know it’s suppose to act like a (7) replacement between 82nd street and Main Street but it’s quite a distance from Roosevelt Ave. I felt like a Q99 could have been created to replace the (7) or just extend the Q32 at night to Main Street. 

Several 5300 XD60 buses are on the Q53 (like 4 or 5 of them). Mix of BP and JFK units.

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

How does the Q32, Q60 do in terms of ridership overnight since the subway gets closed. 

I wonder about the Q66 as well because I know it’s suppose to act like a (7) replacement between 82nd street and Main Street but it’s quite a distance from Roosevelt Ave. I felt like a Q99 could have been created to replace the (7) or just extend the Q32 at night to Main Street. 

The Q32 has a lot of Queens-bound buses running SRO, with the earliest ones having standees. Manhattan-bound buses don't get too crowded for the most part, except for probably the trips between 4-5 AM.

The Q60 for the most part does decent, although some trips can be close to SRO. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Just about every Q32 I've been or seen has been moderately used to outright crowded....  Haven't been on the overnight Q60 since the subway shutdown & of the few I've see towards Queens, there hasn't been too many people on 'em (more or less similar to the overnight usage before the subway shutdown).... One thing to note about the overnight Q32 I've been noticing, is that there's been more usage to/from 61st over 74th...

If they'd have went about creating a Q99 to replace the overnight (7), it'd probably be similar to that Q66 SBS idea that had buses running to Columbus Circle (basically ending with the B99).... 

15 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Did they change any schedules for the Fall Pick? I did a quick check for Staten Island, and they all had schedules for previous picks. @BM5 via Woodhaven

I have seen some changes, but to be honest I have not begun to compile a list yet, I've been busy with a few things earlier. I'll probably start actively looking through them sometime later today. Most changes in any case will likely be reverting to the Fall/Winter/Spring schedule, with a few surprises sprinkled here and there. 

34 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I have seen some changes, but to be honest I have not begun to compile a list yet, I've been busy with a few things earlier. I'll probably start actively looking through them sometime later today. Most changes in any case will likely be reverting to the Fall/Winter/Spring schedule, with a few surprises sprinkled here and there. 

Can't wait to get mad at the changes, since ya know, school time I guess.