BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

@B35 via Church If I were you and wanted to do an early-morning SIM trip I would go Friday night/Saturday morning. The SIM4C starts much earlier (6:45am out of Midtown vs. 10:20am on weekdays) and I believe the SIM1C runs every 30 minutes (vs. 60 minutes for overnights) starting at an earlier timeframe. The only thing that starts later is the SIM33C (I know it's 7:10am on the weekdays, but I think it's somewhere around 8am on weekends. I have to double-check)

Obviously those times are from CPS & 6th so add around 30 minutes or so for the Barclay Street times. (Also little side note but the SIM33C stops closer to Park Place compared to the SIM1C/3C/4C. Not sure why. Maybe something to do with the countdown clock at the stop)

The only disadvantage (well might be a big one depending on what you're looking to fan) is that some of the local routes don't run weekends. 

Or I have another idea, maybe from the M103 you can take the PATH to NJ, make your way down to Bayonne (by HBLR or the #10 or #81 bus), take the S89 into SI, and then figure out what you want to do from there. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Calvin said:

Question: Does the Q48 starts it trip to Flushing-Main St before entering the LGA terminal or that the last stop is inside one of the terminals? Same with the Q72 to Rego Park

I think the operator (if they remember) changes the destination sign at either Terminal C or D, I forgot... but you are allowed to stay on the bus the whole trip. They take a short break if they're a bit early at terminal D. 

5 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I haven't been on the overnight trips, but I have been on the buses just before midnight (when the buses were free), and the section between Jackson Heights and Flushing tend to be heavy, so that's not too surprising. Buses left crushloaded from Flushing, and then by the time it got to the 70s, it was only SRO. What's surprising is Q66 buses getting crushloaded like that at that time. 

The Q100 still runs hourly, so it honestly depends on the bus and time it arrives Queens Plaza. I haven't seen one, on the instances I've taken the local buses across the bridge.

Yeah, that's what I'm speaking to - the time at which it occurred... Of all of us that got off in Flushing, I'd say it was more or less equally dispersed between taking the overnight Q44 up to the Bronx & the Q44 towards Jamaica..... I know that portion of the Q66 is the heaviest during the rest of the day & it's one of the main reasons I concur with the proposed QT66......

As for the Q100, gotcha.

35 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@B35 via Church If I were you and wanted to do an early-morning SIM trip I would go Friday night/Saturday morning. The SIM4C starts much earlier (6:45am out of Midtown vs. 10:20am on weekdays) and I believe the SIM1C runs every 30 minutes (vs. 60 minutes for overnights) starting at an earlier timeframe. The only thing that starts later is the SIM33C (I know it's 7:10am on the weekdays, but I think it's somewhere around 8am on weekends. I have to double-check)

Obviously those times are from CPS & 6th so add around 30 minutes or so for the Barclay Street times. (Also little side note but the SIM33C stops closer to Park Place compared to the SIM1C/3C/4C. Not sure why. Maybe something to do with the countdown clock at the stop)

The only disadvantage (well might be a big one depending on what you're looking to fan) is that some of the local routes don't run weekends. 

Or I have another idea, maybe from the M103 you can take the PATH to NJ, make your way down to Bayonne (by HBLR or the #10 or #81 bus), take the S89 into SI, and then figure out what you want to do from there.

Hmm... I suppose I could parlay it into an NJT trip... Usually when I take PATH out of WTC in the wee hrs. of the morning, it's to Newark to ride the first or second trip of the 7x routes.... Usually do the #79x → #29x back to Newark from Parsippany, or the #73 → #70 back to Newark from Livingston Mall (love that nonstop stint b/w Short Hills mall & Livingston mall on the 70)....

Don't particularly care much for Bayonne, but if I were to take the #10 from JSQ there, I would do it for another reason: The #120 (back to Manhattan)... I've been procrastinating on fanning that route again for literally years.... I would fan it more if it weren't a peak direction route.

But yeah, whenever I get around to that M20-M15-M103 bit, I'll turn in into a small Jersey trip... Good call smiley-thumbup.gif

6 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I think the operator (if they remember) changes the destination sign at either Terminal C or D, I forgot... but you are allowed to stay on the bus the whole trip. They take a short break if they're a bit early at terminal D. 

Due to the construction going on inside the airport & what not, said short break is now taken at Ditmars/102nd....

5 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Just passed by a B49 Next Gen Orion VII model with the destination "Church Av" and another B49 behind heading to Bed-Stuy at Ocean Av and Av. R 1 hour ago. Seems that school trippers have resumed. 

They’re out on the Bx1, Bx9, M11, B16, and B63 as well, all with their regular school trippers.

Bus #5821 (Tuskegee) needs to be fumigated or something... I can forgive the fact that more than half the seats in the back of the bus were wet, but the very last row of seats in the very back of the bus had dozens of roaches crawling around....

Pushed my luck 2 nights ago in the downpour & finally got around to doing the M3 → M101 combo back & forth from/to Astor.... Had to chuckle at the M3 op' I had that dropped me off at 193rd - she busted a clean u-turn, turned off the interior lights, and hauled it the f*** on outta there... Like, time to go HOME :lol:

I can understand it, after having to deal with this nutcase standing in front of the bus at E. 100th (over there by Mt. Sinai Hospital)... Dude was dragging a big ass bag of *whatever*; looked as if he was actually trying to catch a cab.... Then around W. 145th, this dude got on the bus with a ripped up shirt on & (basically) poom-poom shorts acting all belligerent (don't know wtf his problem was)..... Not too long after that guy got off (181st), a fight broke out somewhere around, I wanna say, W 184th or 185th (too dark out to tell).....

I was lucky enough to catch the B32 today at last after because I do not like waiting around 20-30 minutes for a bus. The times in the past that I would try to fan the route I would either have to wait a long time for it or I just missed the last bus of the day. The one thing I noticed about the route is that it doesn’t seem like it’s done any better than how it did a few years back in 2018 when I last took it. I know covid-19 hit and has affected ridership so maybe in fact it was doing better before the city shutdown. I just don’t see it really gaining much more ridership than what it already has. It either has to be extended somewhere or it serves LI City and Williamsburg’s by itself without the B62 a few blocks over. I noticed in Greenpoint and Williamsburg a lot of people seem to take alternative ways of getting around whether that is Uber, biking or walking. I don’t usually see B62’s packed around there either but it does better than the B32 in terms of ridership. I do think that it’s frequency and span of service hurts the B32 the most. Seven years later and still running every half an hour. And then after 9/9:30pm that’s it for the B32 even though the neighborhoods it travels through are still lively. Under the Brooklyn bus redesign I just don’t see both the B32 and B62 sticking around together.

I personally believe the MTA is going to find a way to combine the B61 and B62 again or maybe the B62 and some other route and terminate it at the bus plaza in Williamsburg. I can see the B32 being the only one serving the areas between LI City and Williamsburg. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Bus #5821 (Tuskegee) needs to be fumigated or something... I can forgive the fact that more than half the seats in the back of the bus were wet, but the very last row of seats in the very back of the bus had dozens of roaches crawling around

i gotta be honest here... trust me, i agree with the sentiment expressed. roaches on buses are very prevalent, believe it or not. however, management has never pulled buses off the road for roach infestation. they throw down roach traps (yeah... household roach traps) and call it a day. only bed bugs get buses pulled from revenue service. this goes back to when RTS's were around. if you've noticed, some B/O's don't turn their lights completely off on layovers... this is why. if you do, you'll without a doubt hear a crunch or 3 of roaches under your work shoes, depending on the bus model. RTS's & D60HF's were mobile roach versions of the Marriott/Hilton. never seen roaches on the orion NG's personally, although I've heard stories. 

15 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I was lucky enough to catch the B32 today at last after because I do not like waiting around 20-30 minutes for a bus. The times in the past that I would try to fan the route I would either have to wait a long time for it or I just missed the last bus of the day. The one thing I noticed about the route is that it doesn’t seem like it’s done any better than how it did a few years back in 2018 when I last took it. I know covid-19 hit and has affected ridership so maybe in fact it was doing better before the city shutdown. I just don’t see it really gaining much more ridership than what it already has. It either has to be extended somewhere or it serves LI City and Williamsburg’s by itself without the B62 a few blocks over. I noticed in Greenpoint and Williamsburg a lot of people seem to take alternative ways of getting around whether that is Uber, biking or walking. I don’t usually see B62’s packed around there either but it does better than the B32 in terms of ridership. I do think that it’s frequency and span of service hurts the B32 the most. Seven years later and still running every half an hour. And then after 9/9:30pm that’s it for the B32 even though the neighborhoods it travels through are still lively. Under the Brooklyn bus redesign I just don’t see both the B32 and B62 sticking around together.

I personally believe the MTA is going to find a way to combine the B61 and B62 again or maybe the B62 and some other route and terminate it at the bus plaza in Williamsburg. I can see the B32 being the only one serving the areas between LI City and Williamsburg. 

Looking at what they have in store for Queens, I don't think the B62 will even be a thing.

As far as the B32, yeah, it's potential is more or less maxed out.... WIlliamsburg patrons, in greater numbers, would rather consider taking the Q59 to the (G) to Court Sq. before taking the B32 straight there (of course, the (L) to the (G) is their ideal commute).... If it's not at WBP itself, B32 patronage in/out of Williamsburg is very weak... At WBP, it's mainly people coming off other bus routes (or the (J)) to catch it.... Most the overall/consistent B32 usage is between Court Sq. & Greenpoint (no further south than Greenpoint av,)... SB south of Calyer, forget about it - it's basically stragglers....

Yeah, Williamsburg is lively at night, but the night time crowds wouldn't patronize the B32 if its span were to be broadened, regardless... Too many people getting around by cabs, bikes, or the good ole two (feet) enough to care... Besides, Williamsburg residents tend to be averse to WBP itself - which the B32 goes no further south than....

5 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i gotta be honest here... trust me, i agree with the sentiment expressed. roaches on buses are very prevalent, believe it or not. however, management has never pulled buses off the road for roach infestation. they throw down roach traps (yeah... household roach traps) and call it a day. only bed bugs get buses pulled from revenue service. this goes back to when RTS's were around. if you've noticed, some B/O's don't turn their lights completely off on layovers... this is why. if you do, you'll without a doubt hear a crunch or 3 of roaches under your work shoes, depending on the bus model. RTS's & D60HF's were mobile roach versions of the Marriott/Hilton. never seen roaches on the orion NG's personally, although I've heard stories. 

I've seen the occasional roach on random buses throughout the city over the years, but nothing like what I experienced on that M101 I referenced... The crazy part was, when the bus started accumulating more people, they just sat back there like it was nothing (I'd say the bus was about 1/2 a seated load (yeah, people wiped down the seats from the rain & all that) after 155th.... To give you an idea time-wise, it was around 5:10am when I got on at Ft. George Hill).... I don't want to sound like some prissy goody two shoes (hell, after all, if that were the case, I wouldn't have this as a hobby), but riding with roaches isn't something I can find myself eventually getting used to...

side note: Bustime has the first SB stop of the M101 at 192nd, but I got on at the hill... Did that b/o do me a favor or something?

2 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

The only time I've ever experienced a roach infestation was on the Orion 7 CNG Bx15 LTD. I notice one crawling up the side of the bus and I look at the ground and there were all sorts of critters, saw some spiders, and maggots around. I was skeeved out the rest of the ride and immediately got up and stood the rest of the ride. The bus just kept accumulating passengers and I was surprised no one screamed at the top of their lungs. Either they're good at keeping quiet or they're just not observant because those bugs were everywhere. That bus seriously needed a fumigation but I doubt it ever received one. 

On 9/29/2020 at 9:49 PM, Q43LTD said:

I think it was 6750 for TA and 3550 for BC

On 9/29/2020 at 7:56 PM, trainfan22 said:

The changeover happened somewhere in the 6700s, not sure which exact bus it was though as I rarely ride MCH 40ft routes and whenever I do, I always get an NG.

A little lower... think it's 6744, something like that. 

16 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Oh trust me, there's roaches on NGs, had one roach fly off the top of the back of the bus and landed right next to me.

I killed that bugger faster than the Murder Hornets time in the news. Luckily, I got off a few stops later.

Edited by NBTA

13 minutes ago, NBTA said:

Oh trust me, there's roaches on NGs, had one fly off the top of the back of the bus and landed right next to me.

I killed that bugger faster than the Murder Hornets time in the news. Luckily, I got off a few stops later.

But flies are everywhere, not just on buses. 😫

3 hours ago, NBTA said:

Oh trust me, there's roaches on NGs, had one roach fly off the top of the back of the bus and landed right next to me.

A waterbug on a bus?!?! For those who don't know what a waterbug is, it's those big roaches that fly. It's a NY thing to call them waterbugs even though that's not that's particular bug's name.

Edited by trainfan22

26 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

A waterbug on a bus?!?! For those who don't know what a waterbug is, it's those big roaches that fly. It's a NY thing to call them waterbugs even though that's not that's particular bug's name.

Any big ass cockroach in NYC, people call waterbugs - regardless if they fly or not.

=================

Anyway, it's news to me that the M15 short turns at Houston & the Bx7 short turns at Isham....

Lol at the moment when a BL-8 & a Bx10 (in this case) tried to simultaneously make that U-turn at Mt. St. Vincent..... IDK what either of them were thinking, but the MTA/Bx10 driver eventually let up & gave way to the Bee-Line driver....

Edited by B35 via Church

I am posting this in the Bus Random Thoughts thread, because it’s kind of a interesting matter which is difficult to categorize, but in terms of COVID-19 prevention I downloaded the NY COVID Alert app and one of the recommendations was to avoid public transportation which includes Subways, Buses, Taxis, etc... if the person has to go out for a Medical Check up, my question is how do they recommend those people get to their appointments, it just seems so vague for the low-income residents who have no other option to get around.

image0.png

Edited by WestFarms36

36 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

That's always bothered me. It's a damn roach.

This is a waterbug.

That is a big ass difference.

LH5R0H4R3Z0ZWLLZ2LHZ6LLZNLZZOLLZEL3L2LJL

Consider the consensus of people that don't make the distinction.... No different than the people that conflate the cold & the flu (yes, people still do this in 2020... smh)

To be honest, I don't say "flying cockroach" either.... I will only say "roach" or "cockroach" (used to say/enunciate it like "kakaroach" as a kid, but those days are long gone)

9 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

I am posting this in the Bus Random Thoughts thread, because it’s kind of a interesting matter which is difficult to categorize, but in terms of COVID-19 prevention I downloaded the NY COVID Alert app and one of the recommendations was to avoid public transportation which includes Subways, Buses, Taxis, etc... if the person has to go out for a Medical Check up, my question is how do they recommend those people get to their appointments, it just seems so vague for the low-income residents who have no other option to get around.

"get a car":rolleyes:<_<

They may not blatantly say it, but that is the underlying message being conveyed with that.... The next shit is going to be to convey to people that they should gun for WFH jobs; further dictating how people should live their lives.....

Hate to use him as an example, but all jokes & digs aside, Pinepower mentioned in one of his videos earlier this year about how he couldn't go to his doctor or whatever, and how he had to schedule a zoom conference (or some shit like that) for an appointment.... I'm sitting there listening to that & am like, is this wtf it's come down to..... I was actually miffed for him when he said that.

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Consider the consensus of people that don't make the distinction.... No different than the people that conflate the cold & the flu (yes, people still do this in 2020... smh)

To be honest, I don't say "flying cockroach" either.... I will only say "roach" or "cockroach" (used to say/enunciate it like "kakaroach" as a kid, but those days are long gone)

"get a car":rolleyes:<_<

They may not blatantly say it, but that is the underlying message being conveyed with that.... The next shit is going to be to convey to people that they should gun for WFH jobs; further dictating how people should live their lives.....

Hate to use him as an example, but all jokes & digs aside, Pinepower mentioned in one of his videos earlier this year about how he couldn't go to his doctor or whatever, and how he had to schedule a zoom conference (or some shit like that) for an appointment.... I'm sitting there listening to that & am like, is this wtf it's come down to..... I was actually miffed for him when he said that.

The implications of conveying people to “get a car” is purely blind-sighted until there comes a traffic problem. Most of these guidelines fail to provide the solutions are alternatives that can be sought in a New York City environment. There are people who can’t afford a Hotel Room to self isolate, or live in a single bedroom apartment with multiple family members which makes it impossible to self isolate which can sometimes lead to multiple people in that household to become infected. Telling a person who barely makes ends meet to get a car is nothing but an insult and there’s little that the city/state have done to mitigate that real problem. Obviously depending where you live in the country your options and alternatives will be much different.

As for Pinepower, he just complains about things but fails to realize the bigger picture. The demographics change, social behavior changes, communities change and honestly things won’t be the way they were when you were young. So I find that more as an issue of denying change than trying to embrace it.

Edited by WestFarms36
Addition.

1 hour ago, WestFarms36 said:

The implications of conveying people to “get a car” is purely blind-sighted until there comes a traffic problem. Most of these guidelines fail to provide the solutions are alternatives that can be sought in a New York City environment. There are people who can’t afford a Hotel Room to self isolate, or live in a single bedroom apartment with multiple family members which makes it impossible to self isolate which can sometimes lead to multiple people in that household to become infected. Telling a person who barely makes ends meet to get a car is nothing but an insult and there’s little that the city/state have done to mitigate that real problem. Obviously depending where you live in the country your options and alternatives will be much different.

Preaching to the choir AFAIC.....

1 hour ago, WestFarms36 said:

As for Pinepower, he just complains about things but fails to realize the bigger picture. The demographics change, social behavior changes, communities change and honestly things won’t be the way they were when you were young. So I find that more as an issue of denying change than trying to embrace it.

Yeah, but I'm with him on this one... When it comes to the doc's, I value in-person visits.... To claim that's (more of) an issue of denying change, is also insulting...

Edited by B35 via Church

18 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Preaching to the choir AFAIC.....

Yeah, but I'm with him on this one... When it comes to the doc's, I value in-person visits.... To claim that's (more of) an issue of denying change, is also insulting...

Yeah I don't see how a doctor is supposed to check your temperature, heartbeat, blood pressure, etc through a Zoom call. And things like breathing (e.g. wheezing) that might not be so apparent through the Zoom call (and never mind if you actually need blood/urine collected)