BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

7 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

This is true, the frequency cuts of the M22 over time also contributed to the M9's increasing ridership in Lower Manhattan.

Word is that the order will be split between ENY, FP and GA. It was supposed to be two depots.

Either there will be White/Blue 7100s-7200s or 7700s in FB's future, but take that with a grain of salt. With these new buses comes even more bus moves.

scale to 1 to 10 that Bk will take the option orders aka the 2021 NFI XD40s and Novas

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Shawn Williams said:

scale to 1 to 10 that Bk will take the option orders aka the 2021 NFI XD40s and Novas

Every time we get new Novas, there’s always people who think Brooklyn will get them. Although they have used a few in the past, they were transferred to Queens and Staten Island, so it’s unlikely they will get the 2021 Novas out of the blue (but you never know).

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

You peruse these forums over the course of years & it's as if people say this about whatever hand-me-down getting moved to (*insert depot here*).... Pretty funny actually :lol:

Not just in the realm of transit, but nobody really wants anyone's leftovers... Lol...

lol... see I'm telling you we are always getting the "Hand me Down" buses lol. 

But all fairness, we have some other depots that also experience the same situations. 

9 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

This is true, the frequency cuts of the M22 over time also contributed to the M9's increasing ridership in Lower Manhattan.

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Heh.... Funny thing about this, is that it still is to this day (Worth st construction).

I remember starting school in BPC ~2009, and being told the M22 was a very quick, frequent way to get from BPC to Chinatown. My, how the tables have turned.

It's almost never worth waiting for anymore, you can walk faster, so you should only really take it if you're old, disabled, or are otherwise burdened with heavy things.

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

Every time we get new Novas, there’s always people who think Brooklyn will get them. Although they have used a few in the past, they were transferred to Queens and Staten Island, so it’s unlikely they will get the 2021 Novas out of the blue (but you never know).

i could agree with you on this. i remember when everyone thought FB couldnt handle the 2016-18 SmartBus Novas, look what happened in September 2019 they got them outta nowhere

9 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

This is true, the frequency cuts of the M22 over time alsoWord is that the order will be split between ENY, FP and GA. It was supposed to be two depots.

Either there will be White/Blue 7100s-7200s or 7700s in FB's future, but take that with a grain of salt. With these new buses comes even more bus moves.

This could mean Grand Avenue is keeping their 2009/10 NG Hybrids, because Flatbush Depot would probably benefit from more Xcelsiors instead. IMO, Flatbush Depot should get the XDE40s over East New York Depot and push out some NG Hybrids to East New York Depot.

31 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

This could mean Grand Avenue is keeping their 2009/10 NG Hybrids, because Flatbush Depot would probably benefit from more Xcelsiors instead. IMO, Flatbush Depot should get the XDE40s over East New York Depot and push out some NG Hybrids to East New York Depot.

You know that’s not going to happen.  But again, this is the (MTA) and the DOB we are talking about. Subject to change. 

ENY has plenty of OGs at that depot whole FLA oldest buses are the NGs, so ENY should get them over FLA, and this coming from someone whose favorite depot is Flatbush.

Also fleet age has to be balanced, MTV really got screwed as yet another batch of new buses skips over that depot. 

IMO FLA has been treated well by the DOB over the years when it comes to new buses. Plenty of new buses came to that depot since they first got the 3900 hybrids. 

3 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I remember starting school in BPC ~2009, and being told the M22 was a very quick, frequent way to get from BPC to Chinatown. My, how the tables have turned.

It's almost never worth waiting for anymore, you can walk faster, so you should only really take it if you're old, disabled, or are otherwise burdened with heavy things.

...which defines the crux of the M9 & M22's riderbase.

It's learned behavior over the course of time, but my first inclination when traveling laterally in Manhattan is to walk.....

Specifically to the M22 though, Chambers st. became more & more of a shit-show as time went on...

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

ENY has plenty of OGs at that depot whole FLA oldest buses are the NGs, so ENY should get them over FLA, and this coming from someone whose favorite depot is Flatbush.

Also fleet age has to be balanced, MTV really got screwed as yet another batch of new buses skips over that depot. 

IMO FLA has been treated well by the DOB over the years when it comes to new buses. Plenty of new buses came to that depot since they first got the 3900 hybrids. 

Reason why I think Flatbush should get them over East New York is because East New York has plenty of Xcelsiors and while Flatbush has a very small amount of 2015 AND 2018 Xcelsiors. Not to mention that most of their 2018 Xcelsiors can’t run on the B44 and B46 lines. If Flatbush gets them, they can send enough NGs to East New York to retire their older hybrid models. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

Reason why I think Flatbush should get them over East New York is because East New York has plenty of Xcelsiors and while Flatbush has a very small amount of 2015 AND 2018 Xcelsiors. Not to mention that most of their 2018 Xcelsiors can’t run on the B44 and B46 lines. If Flatbush gets them, they can send enough NGs to East New York to retire their older hybrid models. Just my opinion.

All they have to do is remove the SBS wrap from the 2018 units and then they could run on any FLA local route, its puzzling why they haven't removed the SBS wraps from those buses. Before the 6500s started getting retired and everything got crazy FLA had around 90-100 XD40s. I assume once this XDE order is complete, those buses sent to ENY to replace their 65/6600s will go back to the depots they came from.

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

If we remember, Flatbush was loaded with RTS buses before the local politicians got involved and force the RTS buses to retire before the originally planned dates. Even after retiring the RTS buses, we started to receive some of the NG’s 3000’s from other depots that were revamping their fleets with upgraded new buses. This year 2020, we still ended up losing 3 - 5 of the 7600’s buses to ENY and some 7300’s to Ulmer park and 2 to Grand I believe. 

3 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

All they have to do is remove the SBS wrap from the 2018 units and then they could run on any FLA local route, its puzzling why they haven't removed the SBS wraps from those buses. Before the 6500s started getting retired and everything got crazy FLA had around 90-100 XD40s. I assume once this XDE order is complete, those buses sent to ENY to replace their 65/6600s will go back to the depots they came from.

The SBS 40 ft theme buses are painted. The lower part of the buses  have to be wrap with the Cuomo blue schemes.

21 minutes ago, Flatbush Operator said:

The SBS 40 ft theme buses are painted. The lower part of the buses  have to be wrap with the Cuomo blue schemes.

Why, in hell, they thought it made sense to make the default paint scheme of the XD40s SBS blue with a blue wrap over it....beyond me.

51 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Even if they were to remove the SBS scheme on all of Flatbush’s 2018 models, they still only have 44 of them.

Edited by Snorunts

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Why, in hell, they thought it made sense to make the default paint scheme of the XD40s SBS blue with a blue wrap over it....beyond me.

Aside from the fact that the SBS variant never should have seen the light of day, in theory it makes it easier to prep buses for it (and we all know how stingy the MTA can get)

19 hours ago, Flatbush Operator said:

I just don't understand why FB always gets last loads or hand me down buses within the TA division?

I wish I had an answer. I suppose time will tell once they actually start deploying the new hybrids. Who knows, maybe there will be another change with deliveries.....like there has been for the past what....9 orders? 😄

17 hours ago, Shawn Williams said:

Brooklyn is not getting any 40ft LFSs, so that answers your scale.

13 hours ago, Snorunts said:

Wouldn't bet on that....

A previous plan was speculated that Grand would get all of the Allison XDE40s, and Fresh Pond would get all of the BAE Systems XDE40s. That would've effectively shifted a lot of those next gens around, with a few Xcelsior diesels along the way.

Obviously, I'm not going to speculate who gets what, especially since we are in the position where we have a large fleet of new buses now compared to years back. It was easier back then to speculate where things would go since the age fleet was on the older side of things.

And for those that keep constantly posting things along the lines of "DOB this, DOB that, DOB the other", I am asking you to stop with that. Yes, we all get that the DOB does things their way and with their own logistic planning, we don't near to hear the same point in almost every post. The extra added hint of sarcasm is also getting a bit annoying. I would like to limit the comments of the DOB to those that actually work for the MTA in some capacity and actually know what's going on at their depots or whatever because clearly, a lot of us, myself included have no clue what actually goes on in the DOB.

Remember, folks from various areas of the MTA actually lurk around this forum...

Edited by Cait Sith

I’m wondering, since Manhattan Division isn’t planned on receiving the new XDE40s, and if they don’t receive any or too many Novabus Hybrids, what will replace their 100 2006 Orion Hybrids (6690-6789)? I would say NG Hybrids from Brooklyn, but Manhattanville just gave East New York a handful. Maybe 2011 Orions from the island?