BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Q114 does really good along Rockaway Turnpike. Every single stop has a dozen on/offs

So I took the Q111 from Cedarhurst yesterday. Bus surprisingly had six ons. Five on Peninsula and one along Brookfield Rd. I really thought it would carry no one. That corridor seems like it deserves more than one trip in each direction, but its Nassau's jurisdiction so I guess its more likely that Q111 would be completely cut in that area. 

Kind of weird seeing an artic in that part of Nassau County

7 hours ago, lil hershey said:

I respect the Fresh Pond Driver. Why do i get hate . I would have done the same, we are all humans

You posed the remark as if you were complaining, that's why...

2 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Q114 does really good along Rockaway Turnpike. Every single stop has a dozen on/offs

So I took the Q111 from Cedarhurst yesterday. Bus surprisingly had six ons. Five on Peninsula and one along Brookfield Rd. I really thought it would carry no one. That corridor seems like it deserves more than one trip in each direction, but its Nassau's jurisdiction so I guess its more likely that Q111 would be completely cut in that area. 

Kind of weird seeing an artic in that part of Nassau County

Did you have any issues boarding at the first stop? Did the b/o actually stop in front of the gas station, or in front of one of those houses just past it?

I've actually been trying to get (photo+ video) footage of those Q111 buses in Nassau. I started back in the late spring of 2019, was only to do it a few times because of my schedule, and after I got my phone last year, I've been trying to get additional footage of it. It's hard to do it when it's one trip a day in each direction. Anyways covid basically hampered that, but even then, working from home and stuff has made me a bit lazy to even bother catching it. 

Also what doesn't help is that the bus tends to leave late, so you seem suspicious just waiting around in the street in those areas. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

19 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Did you have any issues boarding at the first stop? Did the b/o actually stop in front of the gas station, or in front of one of those houses just past it?

From what I could tell the bus op did stop in the house in front of the gas station. But I decided to walk down Peninsula a bit and boarded at Arlington road, a few blocks down. The bus was actually on time. Left at 4:02PM exact

Does anyone know if I were to pay to get onboard a local bus, transfer to an express bus, is there still a transfer valid for another express bus ride after that? This is using pay-per-ride btw. I think the breakdown is as follows: So when I first board the local bus ($2.75), transfer to an express bus (+$4.00), is there still another express bus transfer left?  

1 minute ago, danielhg121 said:

Does anyone know if I were to pay to get onboard a local bus, transfer to an express bus, is there still a transfer valid for another express bus ride after that? This is using pay-per-ride btw. I think the breakdown is as follows: So when I first board the local bus ($2.75), transfer to an express bus (+$4.00), is there still another express bus transfer left?  

No. Its just like using a transfer between local buses, bus-subway, etc. You'll have to pay the full fare for the next express bus once you used your first transfer.

6 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

I'm not too certain if any of the permissible 3-legged transfers (on one fare) left involves 2 express buses, but the general answer to your question is no.....

6 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

No. Its just like using a transfer between local buses, bus-subway, etc. You'll have to pay the full fare for the next express bus once you used your first transfer.

I get what you're saying with the bus to subway bit, but it wouldn't matter... He's introducing a third mode regardless.

6 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

From what I could tell the bus op did stop in the house in front of the gas station. But I decided to walk down Peninsula a bit and boarded at Arlington road, a few blocks down. The bus was actually on time. Left at 4:02PM exact

Didn't wanna take no chances huh.... Can't say I blame you....

41 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm not too certain if any of the permissible 3-legged transfers (on one fare) left involves 2 express buses, but the general answer to your question is no.....

I get what you're saying with the bus to subway bit, but it wouldn't matter... He's introducing a third mode regardless.

Didn't wanna take no chances huh.... Can't say I blame you....

My thinking was, I paid $6.75 in total, is there a transfer included on top of that? LOL

But I totally see how the transfer is an extended courtesy as it is and that's the fare at the end of the day.

Edited by danielhg121

https://qns.com/2021/01/queens-judge-denies-business-owners-bid-to-delay-dots-main-street-busway-in-flushing/

Queens judge denies business owner’s bid to delay Main Street busway in Flushing

By Mark Hallum     Posted on January 5, 2021

A Queens Supreme Court judge has rejected a bid by business owners to waylay the city Department of Transportation’s (DOT) busway on Main Street in Flushing.

At first glance, it would seem the monthslong litigation was not more successful than any other attempts by mass transit naysayers to halt the city in their tracks when it comes to dedicating space to buses for improved commute times.

On Tuesday, court papers showed that the Article 78 petition, which put a temporary restraining order on the project, was summarily denied by Judge Kevin Kerrigan and DOT’s busway between Sanford Avenue and Northern Boulevard will remain in place under Mayor Bill de Blasio’s Better Buses Action Plan.

“Today’s decision is a huge victory for 150,000 bus riders across Queens and the Bronx. Citywide, judges have now ruled decisively that when riders win well-deserved priority on busy streets, opponents can’t sue and get their way,” Riders Alliance Senior Organizer Jolyse Race said on Jan. 5. “Just as Trump and his supporters can’t overturn the vote, neither can courts ‘invade the province’ of transportation policymakers on behalf of a few rich NIMBYs.”

The Flushing Chinese Business Association and attorney Randall Eng launched the suit over the summer claiming there had been little input from the community and charging that the majority of foot traffic along the commercial corridor got the via private auto.

“It’s not a final disposition, he has simply vacated the temporary restraining order and denied a preliminary injunction,” Eng explained. “Our Article 78 proceeding has not been dismissed, he must decide that. So it is still open, but he has denied to provisional relief that we sought. He denied a preliminary injunction that would have been in place until the matter was decided.”

Eng, however, said this is not over depending on how far his client planned to go, in which case it would head to an appeals court.

“This ruling is more than just good news for the 150,000 New Yorkers who will use the Flushing Main Street busway every day,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said. “It’s a victory for everyone who believes that mass transit is the future of this city and the engine of our economic recovery. New York City is proud to offer safe, reliable and fast transit options for riders in Queens and across the five boroughs, and we look forward to building on this success with even more Better Buses initiatives this coming year.”

Judge Kerrigan was not completely convinced that the busway should proceed based on the traffic maps provided to him by the city, as his concluding remarks indicate.

“How efficacious the Busway player will be or what precisely its impact will be upon the community, if any, is presently unknown. Although petitioners have not shown that the determination to implement the Busway plan was made arbitrarily and irrationally, and thus have failed to demonstrate a likelihood of success on the merits of their article 78 petition, looking at the proposed new traffic maps does make this court wonder whether the plan, as currently drawn, is a wise one,” the final paragraph read.

Kerrigan’s comments regarding these doubts about the plan itself were admittedly irrelevant, the statement reads.

I don't really get the whole notion that bus lanes are going to bring a car apocalypse to Flushing, because Flushing is already a car apocalypse. You haven't been able to "quickly" drop someone off, let alone find parking, in Flushing anywhere between the post office and Northern for at least the last 15 years. You couldn't pay me to drive in the actual gridlock that is Downtown Flushing.

At least with a bus lane some people (the bus riders) will actually be able to move down the street.

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

I don't really get the whole notion that bus lanes are going to bring a car apocalypse to Flushing, because Flushing is already a car apocalypse. You haven't been able to "quickly" drop someone off, let alone find parking, in Flushing anywhere between the post office and Northern for at least the last 15 years. You couldn't pay me to drive in the actual gridlock that is Downtown Flushing.

At least with a bus lane some people (the bus riders) will actually be able to move down the street.

Well that's how you know the sentiment is disingenuous..... This isn't anything more than the typical, automatic defense trigger whenever any serious mention of implementing bus lanes are concerned....

9 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Well that's how you know the sentiment is disingenuous..... This isn't anything more than the typical, automatic defense trigger whenever any serious mention of implementing bus lanes are concerned....

Exactly.

Short of punching another through street in Downtown Flushing (and I don't think it'd help much) you're not going to get road congestion improvement in Flushing doing much of anything. 

All the people who drive "into Flushing" these days are either actually on Northern, College Point Boulevard for Skyview, or the Main and LIE area.

On 1/6/2021 at 4:35 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I've actually been trying to get (photo+ video) footage of those Q111 buses in Nassau. I started back in the late spring of 2019, was only to do it a few times because of my schedule, and after I got my phone last year, I've been trying to get additional footage of it. It's hard to do it when it's one trip a day in each direction. Anyways covid basically hampered that, but even then, working from home and stuff has made me a bit lazy to even bother catching it. 

Also what doesn't help is that the bus tends to leave late, so you seem suspicious just waiting around in the street in those areas. 

I honestly forgot the Cedarhurst Q111 even existed until recently, never seen it all the times I've been driven down Peninsula. I thought it ran more often actually, just one a day SB and NB is basically nothing and the route probably won't even touch Nassau in due time. Kinda sad though since I haven't been able to find any video of the route on Cedarhurst over all these years.

I do understand the waiting around fear, especially SB on the 111 since there's a stop light and store at the end of the route which plenty of cars stop at. But NB near the first few houses (next to the red gas station), most drivers are moving and likely care less about someone waiting for a bus, the area is pretty dead pedestrian wise beyond the cars tbh. 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

3 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Having seen it for myself, I'm glad to have someone else doing the driving for me, though I can't help but feel kinda bad for the bus drivers who have to put up with that shit on a daily basis. Major props to them for willingly subjecting themselves to that in order to transport others, particularly on the Q44, which goes well into the Bronx and down to the also-gridlocked Downtown Jamaica.

11 hours ago, Lex said:

Having seen it for myself, I'm glad to have someone else doing the driving for me, though I can't help but feel kinda bad for the bus drivers who have to put up with that shit on a daily basis. Major props to them for willingly subjecting themselves to that in order to transport others, particularly on the Q44, which goes well into the Bronx and down to the also-gridlocked Downtown Jamaica.

Downtown Jamaica is bad, though from what I've seen (from the limited perspective of a Q43) it seems to mostly be on the major roads that buses are on, and it's not too bad outside of weekday commute hours.

Every single block of DT Flushing is a shitshow, pretty much most hours of all days of the week. Buses blocking other buses, cars blocking other cars, blocked boxes at every intersection. Before the sidewalk expansions you had to throw pedestrians spilling into the roadway there as well.

I know this forum doesn't have the greatest opinion of bikes, but tbh a lot of Flushing traffic is short-medium distance, and if the infrastructure and parking were remotely safe to be on it'd be a lot better if at least some of that traffic was on bikes. As it stands right now, on a bike you'd basically be the middle part of a bus sandwich.

Edited by bobtehpanda

15 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I remember a time before the DOT implement no turn rules and made some changes to the street directions in Flushing it could very well take 10-15 minutes to get from Main Street/Kissena Blvd to Main Street-Northern Blvd on the bus due to how bad traffic was. Things over the years has improved quite a bit but the implementation of a busway on Main Street kind of surprises me. I never thought it would happen due to opposition. I thought Roosevelt Ave between Prince Street and Union street would have been turned into a busway. If Roosevelt Ave were chosen over Main Street I could see some routes being shifted onto Roosevelt Ave to take advantage of the bus only like the Q27 the Q65 and the Q58 maybe even the Q13, Q16 and Q28 as well. 

4 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I remember a time before the DOT implement no turn rules and made some changes to the street directions in Flushing it could very well take 10-15 minutes to get from Main Street/Kissena Blvd to Main Street-Northern Blvd on the bus due to how bad traffic was. Things over the years has improved quite a bit but the implementation of a busway on Main Street kind of surprises me. I never thought it would happen due to opposition. I thought Roosevelt Ave between Prince Street and Union street would have been turned into a busway. If Roosevelt Ave were chosen over Main Street I could see some routes being shifted onto Roosevelt Ave to take advantage of the bus only like the Q27 the Q65 and the Q58 maybe even the Q13, Q16 and Q28 as well. 

I would imagine that the DOT really wants to have as few left turns from Main to Roosevelt or vice versa as possible, and if you don't allow left turns at that intersection I don't really see how you could do a reasonable routing of the Q27 and the other Kissena routes as well.

There have been various proposals over the years, including off-street terminals somewhere in Flushing, but it would be pretty hard to site a terminal where buses would not still be traveling through Main & Roosevelt, or making an excessive amount of turns, because the street grid and all the one-ways mean there aren't great paths off of Main St or Kissena to anywhere.

Main and Roosevelt really should be an all-way stop pedestrian cycle, the pedestrian volumes are far too high for turns and people crossing the street at the same time to make any sense at all.

Since when did they have the Q17 last drop-off stop in Jamaica (along Merrick, just short of Jamaica av) also be the first pickup stop now?

The first pickup stop of the Q17 in Jamaica (back towards Flushing) used to be across the street, mid-block, behind the Q20/Q44 stop.... Increase the amount of short turns b/w Fresh Meadows & Flushing (speaking of which) where that route is most needed, decrease the amt. of Jamaica trips & just have those that are leftover be thrown inside 165th already... Sorry to break up the MTABus party in that section of the terminal (Lol), but there is space back there..... I'd even go as far as to say curbside parking on that whole western side of Merrick b/w 89th av & Jamaica av. be banned - especially the closer you get to Jamaica av.....

Speaking of banning things, something else that should be banned are all those taxi's that impede the damn Q48 along Roosevelt (among other things), just west of Main st on that corner there... Given the traffic nightmare that Roosevelt/Main already is, buses (Q48's) shouldn't be exacerbating matters because taxi's are exacerbating matters by having Q48's go around them, just to get to the current Q48 1st pickup stop in Flushing... It's the stupidest shit & the phenomenon's been pervasive for years now...

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Since when did they have the Q17 last drop-off stop in Jamaica (along Merrick, just short of Jamaica av) also be the first pickup stop now?

The first pickup stop of the Q17 in Jamaica (back towards Flushing) used to be across the street, mid-block, behind the Q20/Q44 stop.... Increase the amount of short turns b/w Fresh Meadows & Flushing (speaking of which) where that route is most needed, decrease the amt. of Jamaica trips & just have those that are leftover be thrown inside 165th already... Sorry to break up the MTABus party in that section of the terminal (Lol), but there is space back there..... I'd even go as far as to say curbside parking on that whole western side of Merrick b/w 89th av & Jamaica av. be banned - especially the closer you get to Jamaica av.....

Speaking of banning things, something else that should be banned are all those taxi's that impede the damn Q48 along Roosevelt (among other things), just west of Main st on that corner there... Given the traffic nightmare that Roosevelt/Main already is, buses (Q48's) shouldn't be exacerbating matters because taxi's are exacerbating matters by having Q48's go around them, just to get to the current Q48 1st pickup stop in Flushing... It's the stupidest shit & the phenomenon's been pervasive for years now...

For a few years now to allow more space for the artics on the Q44.

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

For a few years now to allow more space for the artics on the Q44.

The Q17 & the Q20/44 stops on that block (Merrick b/w Archer & Jamaica) were swapped to initially allow for more space for artics for the Q44... Q17 used to stop on the corner of Merrick/Archer & the Q20/44 used to stop mid-block.... Sometime after (because it wasn't instantaneous), to allow for even more space for artics, the (then, new) mid-block stop for the Q17 became a pickup only stop, with last dropoffs & layovers taking place on the short side of Merrick/Jamaica.... It is only relatively recently that stop in question became a last dropoff/layover/first pickup stop; no longer than before 2019.... I doubt it was done for even, even more space for artics for the Q44, because both Q17 stops:

• the (currently discontinued) mid-block stop on Merrick b/w Archer & Jamaica, and...
  • the current (now, all purpose) stop on the short side of Merrick/Jamaica

...both have those orange "Temporary Construction Regulation" notices appended to them....

Come to think of it, 2019 was around the time that construction kicked off over there for those new apartments, across the street from that Home Depot (168th st. side).... It was also around the time the Q30/31 got diverted to running along Jamaica av. in both directions east of a certain point (think that's 153rd, or wherever NB buses turn off Archer at).... The previous:

• Archer/168th stop for the NB Q30/31, and the...
  • Pickup only stop, mid-block, on Merrick b/w Jamaica & Archer for the Q17

...are both temporarily discontinued (with that same orange "Temporary Construction Regulation" notice appended to them).

Basically what I'm saying is that, what's going on with the terminal situation for the Q17 is part of a domino effect, due to that very construction of that apt. bldg on 168/Archer.... I notice that buses, in turn, now turn off at Jamaica instead of running down Merrick to Archer... That is something that's been done to the Q17 that is even more recent than the layover & last dropoff stop of the Q17 being a pickup stop..... I wonder when did that happen exactly, as well....

The whole thing making even even more space for the Q44 is a bonus/side effect of said construction... If that was intentional (for more space for the Q44), then there wouldn't be that orange "Temporary Construction Regulation" notice at the current, now all-purpose Q17 stop.... There would just be a lollipop style bus stop pole on the short side of Merrick/Jamaica reading Q17 (on the left side) & Flushing (on the right side) & that would be the end of it....

Edited by B35 via Church

11 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I would imagine that the DOT really wants to have as few left turns from Main to Roosevelt or vice versa as possible, and if you don't allow left turns at that intersection I don't really see how you could do a reasonable routing of the Q27 and the other Kissena routes as well.

There have been various proposals over the years, including off-street terminals somewhere in Flushing, but it would be pretty hard to site a terminal where buses would not still be traveling through Main & Roosevelt, or making an excessive amount of turns, because the street grid and all the one-ways mean there aren't great paths off of Main St or Kissena to anywhere.

Main and Roosevelt really should be an all-way stop pedestrian cycle, the pedestrian volumes are far too high for turns and people crossing the street at the same time to make any sense at all.

I would have the Q27 and Q65 run via Parsons Blvd to Roosevelt Ave.

You are right though, the pedestrian volume is very high in downtown Flushing. Almost as bad as Times Square. The problem I see overall with Flushing is that it is over developed in such a little space and does not have enough big roads that can move traffic along. Jamaica doesn’t have that issue nearly as bad, because there is Archer Ave, Jamaica Ave, Hillside Ave, Parsons Blvd, Sutphin Blvd and etc. What could have alleviated the problem in Flushing is an extension of the (7) further out east so that there aren’t tons of buses serving the area around one train station. Of course nowadays any type of extension is near impossible because there isn’t any room for it. 

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

It’s been maybe a year and some months since the Q17’s first and last stop was on Merrick Blvd & Jamaica Ave. What is new to me is that Q17’s turn onto Jamaica Ave and then onto 168th street rather than go down to Archer to then turn onto 168th. I can see the Q17’s first stop being changed again due to how dangerous it is to have the Q17 trying to turn left onto Jamaica Ave while the Q6, Q8,Q9 and Q41 try to turn right. 

If you want to have the Q17 in the bus terminal I don’t think you have to put it on the MTA bus side. I would simply have the Q17 take one of the Q1’s slots since the Q1 is not even frequent enough to justify it having two spaces and if they need another one they can move the N1 and N26 to the corner of Merrick Blvd & 89th Ave and move the other routes down one slot. The Q17 would then follow all the other 165th terminal route instead of going to Jamaica Ave and then 168th street. 

The Q6, Q8 and Q41 have been having the same issue with the taxi’s for years on Sutphin Blvd & Archer Ave. I’ve seen the NYPD get behind the taxi’s and force them to move but they just return later. What they need to do is paint a bus lane there and put cameras there so that every vehicle that is not a bus, emergency vehicle or MTA vehicle gets a ticket. 

4 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It’s been maybe a year and some months since the Q17’s first and last stop was on Merrick Blvd & Jamaica Ave. What is new to me is that Q17’s turn onto Jamaica Ave and then onto 168th street rather than go down to Archer to then turn onto 168th. I can see the Q17’s first stop being changed again due to how dangerous it is to have the Q17 trying to turn left onto Jamaica Ave while the Q6, Q8,Q9 and Q41 try to turn right. 

If you want to have the Q17 in the bus terminal I don’t think you have to put it on the MTA bus side. I would simply have the Q17 take one of the Q1’s slots since the Q1 is not even frequent enough to justify it having two spaces and if they need another one they can move the N1 and N26 to the corner of Merrick Blvd & 89th Ave and move the other routes down one slot. The Q17 would then follow all the other 165th terminal route instead of going to Jamaica Ave and then 168th street. 

The Q6, Q8 and Q41 have been having the same issue with the taxi’s for years on Sutphin Blvd & Archer Ave. I’ve seen the NYPD get behind the taxi’s and force them to move but they just return later. What they need to do is paint a bus lane there and put cameras there so that every vehicle that is not a bus, emergency vehicle or MTA vehicle gets a ticket.

Yeah, that makes more sense than it being a few years, because it wasn't that long ago where I boarded a Q17 at its (now old) pickup stop.... I don't necessarily disagree with changing the stop, but where else would they move it to, if not for inside 165th? As for where inside 165th, you can't have it terminating at that side of the terminal, because that would require buses backing up out of the lanes all the way on Merrick itself, or require backing up & hanging a left (instead of that right turn buses normally do) to shoot across all the other buses that are parked in whichever lanes they're occupying at the time...