BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I told yall these buses are jacked up. They VIOLATED this order. 

Yes all buses have teething issues but when over 75% of the batch is breaking down...that's a manufacturer issue. 

So, what you think the (MTA) should do with the rest of the order then?  This order is signed, sealed and delivery is commencing,

At the end of the day the (MTA) got the best mechanics and those teething issues will be rectified and buses will be riding normal. 

Too add on this.. If you never parked a bus or truck(s) like I do. I sure don't need to hear you complaining. I understand from a passenger perspective that buses that are delivered should be in good working order and it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to deliver that . Granted, issues can persist and it's up to the mechanics to figure out the issue. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

So, what you think the (MTA) should do with the rest of the order then?  This order is signed, sealed and delivery is commencing,

At the end of the day the (MTA) got the best mechanics and those teething issues will be rectified and buses will be riding normal. 

Best mechanics? AHAHAHAHAHAHA. 

Have you SEEN the XD60's on the B38 and 95% of the D60HF fleet?

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

They may not the best to some but to others they are.

Personally, I don't care for any of Grand Avenue's lines and those artics were inherited from Gun Hill which has the worse maintenance if you ask me personally.

Grand Ave has a maintenance facility and they do very good job with their buses. If anything, the Brooklyn Division definitely needs another maintenance facility. Somewhere around Flatbush/Ulmer Park/Gleason territory so that buses aren't going all the way to East New York and Grand for major work.

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Too add on this.. If you never parked a bus or truck(s) like I do. I sure don't need to hear you complaining. I understand from a passenger perspective that buses that are delivered should be in good working order and it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to deliver that . Granted, issues can persist and it's up to the mechanics to figure out the issue. 

I'll complain all I want. I don't need you policing my posts. You need to stop glorifying the MTA like it's not their same "best mechanics" that got their buses retiring pre-maturely. You literally said earlier this week "But to see the Bronx NG’s starting to go to the chopshop simply means they are not maintaining the NG’s well". Stop being a hypocrite, it's all over your posts. 

I'm in the random thoughts thread. I know how these orders work, I don't care how much experience you have parking vehicles,  I have the right to complain since I'm paying to ride these things. I don't even complain a lot I had one complaint I made and this was a follow up to a conversation about the buses breaking down. Unless I'm violating forum policy, or posting in the wrong thread, or assaulting another user, mind your business and do not get smart with me. 

Thank you. 

7 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I'll complain all I want. I don't need you policing my posts. You need to stop glorifying the MTA like it's not their same "best mechanics" that got their buses retiring pre-maturely. You literally said earlier this week "But to see the Bronx NG’s starting to go to the chopshop simply means they are not maintaining the NG’s well". Stop being a hypocrite, it's all over your posts. 

I'm in the random thoughts thread. I know how these orders work, I don't care how much experience you have parking vehicles,  I have the right to complain since I'm paying to ride these things. I don't even complain a lot I had one complaint I made and this was a follow up to a conversation about the buses breaking down. Unless I'm violating forum policy, or posting in the wrong thread, or assaulting another user, mind your business and do not get smart with me. 

Thank you. 

I'm just gonna simply ignore everything you just said here, and you have a nice day!

3 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Yes all buses have teething issues but when over 75% of the batch is breaking down...that's a manufacturer issue.

Considering only about 50 or so buses out of 329 are here and 75% of the current fleet being about 37 buses they have plenty of time to fix the issues. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

I know close to nothing about ordering buses, but both in personal and professional capacity I ordered equipment, at times quite expensive. Every time one places an order unless it specifically says that you are buying a scrap item or otherwise not fully functional one, it is stipulated that you expect high quality products. If plenty of new buses "have teething issues" to quote one of the veteran members, they need to be returned or replaced or fixed free of charge by the manufacturer. If, as stated by another member "over 75% of the batch is breaking down" decisive actions need to be taken: (i) demand free repairs or replacement from the manufacturer, (ii) slow down the retirement rate of MCIs, (iii) perhaps take some of the retired 4500's out of the retirement and back into service. Many of them lasted for long years if not decades. Perhaps another flipdot or two back into service.

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Put it on hold if need be to ensure that the buses coming in are not going to create service issues for them. They can still run some of the older buses longer until they get this mess straightened out. The vendor has a duty to meet its contractual obligations, and putting aside general issues, if the buses have to constantly be pulled from service due to breakdowns, then they are of no benefit to the (MTA) , nor the riding public aka the taxpayers that are paying $500,000+ per bus.

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Put it on hold if need be to ensure that the buses coming in are not going to create service issues for them. They can still run some of the older buses longer until they get this mess straightened out. The vendor has a duty to meet its contractual obligations, and putting aside general issues, if the buses have to constantly be pulled from service due to breakdowns, then they are of no benefit to the (MTA) , nor the riding public aka the taxpayers that are paying $500,000+ per bus.

If I'm not mistaken Prevost won this contract since they lowbid than MCI (In procurement world, the lowest bidder wins the contract).

Preferably, MCI buses are better. However, Prevosts have proven themselves here in New York City. I'm hoping whatever underlying issues that need to be fixed will get fixed. The deliveries aren't coming as fast as they would. I fully agree with the last 1/2 of your statement.

52 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

If I'm not mistaken Prevost won this contract since they lowbid than MCI (In procurement world, the lowest bidder wins the contract).

Preferably, MCI buses are better. However, Prevosts have proven themselves here in New York City. I'm hoping whatever underlying issues that need to be fixed will get fixed. The deliveries aren't coming as fast as they would. I fully agree with the last 1/2 of your statement.

That's correct. The (MTA) takes the lowest bidder. That doesn't mean they should accept an inferior product as a result. It's up to Prevost to fix the issues and get the buses out per their contractual obligations, otherwise, the (MTA) may very well sue if they have to, as they've done in the past.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I get that the new Prevost are having issues. At the same time, the units at Meredith mostly run during peak service and College Point has an MCI fleet that is still bigger than the Prevost fleet. There is plenty of time for the issues to be ironed out even if nobody has the confidence that it would happen at all.

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

The buses are under warranty, so Prevost needs to fix them if there are serious issues.

Hell, even if they are minor issues the (MTA) should send them back to Prevost and the (MTA) should not be charged a dime.

3 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

The buses are under warranty, so Prevost needs to fix them if there are serious issues.

Hell, even if they are minor issues the (MTA) should send them back to Prevost and the (MTA) should not be charged a dime.

I'll go a little further. Have their mechanics from deep upstate come to the service center in NJ to fix the underlying issues. The most serious issues, send the buses back to Plattsburgh and to your last point. I agree.

7 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I told yall these buses are jacked up. They VIOLATED this order. 

Not really.

The Xcelsiors and LFSs went through this same thing, and still do. Artics and 40fters from both sides kept dropping like flies when they were brand new(especially the New Flyers).

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Please, The Bronx ran those XD60s into the ground before Grand Avenue could even touch them.

3 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Considering only about 50 or so buses out of 329 are here and 75% of the current fleet being about 37 buses they have plenty of time to fix the issues. 

1 hour ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I get that the new Prevost are having issues. At the same time, the units at Meredith mostly run during peak service and College Point has an MCI fleet that is still bigger than the Prevost fleet. There is plenty of time for the issues to be ironed out even if nobody has the confidence that it would happen at all.

Bingo.

Folks gotta remember that this is not the first time we've been down this road before. The very last time we had a deployment of express buses without issues were the 2800s-2900s. The 3000s came with issues that were resolved over time. 2210-2228 had serious exhaust issues that delayed their launch, which also prompted others to be rejected. 2251-2304 had a lot of sensor and multiplex issues which have all been resolved for the most part. 2400 all the way up to 2789 all had similar issues which took time to resolve.

And for MTA Bus, the Prevosts are a whole new fleet of buses, so it will take them time to get used to them especially since they only had....one bus to be trained on. Their last new Express Bus order was over 10 years ago, so it will take some time for MTA Bus to get used to the fleet. They did not have the same luxury as Transit, as they had several Prevost demos out there to be looked at(manufacturer and TA spec).

Hell, the LFS hybrids right now are having problems, which is why there's so little out in service at one time when each depot has a decent amount to be put on the road.

Edited by Cait Sith

Yesterday during the PM Rush, the RR crossing style gates at Rockaway Parkway were stuck in the down position , which led to a whole bunch of B6/42/82 buses getting stuck inside the terminal...

Pic below of what happened.

ZVFwLJk.jpg

On twitter they blamed it on construction...

50 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Yesterday during the PM Rush, the RR crossing style gates at Rockaway Parkway were stuck in the down position , which led to a whole bunch of B6/42/82 buses getting stuck inside the terminal...

Pic below of what happened.

ZVFwLJk.jpg

On twitter they blamed it on construction...

All those people standing around and they couldn’t just work together to lift the gate arm lol?

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Moe, Larry and Curly all standing around...

Ha! I get that the B/Os don’t care because they get paid one way or the other, but if I was a passenger on there, I’d go out myself and try to lift it , maybe get some other passengers to help out 

15 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

They may not the best to some but to others they are.

Personally, I don't care for any of Grand Avenue's lines and those artics were inherited from Gun Hill which has the worse maintenance if you ask me personally.

Grand Ave has a maintenance facility and they do very good job with their buses. If anything, the Brooklyn Division definitely needs another maintenance facility. Somewhere around Flatbush/Ulmer Park/Gleason territory so that buses aren't going all the way to East New York and Grand for major work.

I've done bus moves to Grand's CMF and it's not that bad a drive. A lot of our buses end up there for work.

12 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Bingo.

Folks gotta remember that this is not the first time we've been down this road before. The very last time we had a deployment of express buses without issues were the 2800s-2900s. The 3000s came with issues that were resolved over time. 2210-2228 had serious exhaust issues that delayed their launch, which also prompted others to be rejected. 2251-2304 had a lot of sensor and multiplex issues which have all been resolved for the most part. 2400 all the way up to 2789 all had similar issues which took time to resolve.

If I may ask: Was that situation also in 2229-2250 that were at MTA Bus as well? Or that those units were delivered first with no problems before delivery.