BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

He means the tracker.

I see. Well the GPS not working has nothing to do with the bus not running. If it didn't physically run, it's likely because of the ongoing driver shortages. I have asked for a timeline regarding when we'll get some sort of normalcy in terms of trips being covered. 

5 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

I see the Q41 has a slight routing change east of the Van Wyck. 94 is a one way westbound and 95 is a one way eastbound

The change occurred about a year ago. It was done to help traffic flow in the area, and in the process a new playground was built. Google maps shows 95th Ave as Atlantic Ave when I’m pretty sure the street is still called 95th Ave. 

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The change occurred about a year ago. It was done to help traffic flow in the area, and in the process a new playground was built. Google maps shows 95th Ave as Atlantic Ave when I’m pretty sure the street is still called 95th Ave. 

It is. Atlantic merges onto 95

Wow, there was such a high turnout for the extraction of 7647 

How many of you were there? There were so many people taking pics of the front of the bus after they extracted it from the building😄

(no I wasn't there, I saw it on the news)

Edited by paulrivera

4 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Wow, there was such a high turnout for the extraction of 7647 

How many of you were there? There were so many people taking pics of the front of the bus after they extracted it from the building😄

(no I wasn't there, I saw it on the news)

They had a live broadcast on the Citizen app and they said it was the "local residents" who kept following up, along with a few people walking by. I still can't believe how much publicity that whole situation received. It's funny how when it's the drivers fault, video evidence gets publicity released, but when it's the MTAs fault, no video evidence released (XN60 1020). 

7 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

They had a live broadcast on the Citizen app and they said it was the "local residents" who kept following up, along with a few people walking by. I still can't believe how much publicity that whole situation received. It's funny how when it's the drivers fault, video evidence gets publicity released, but when it's the MTAs fault, no video evidence released (XN60 1020). 

Can't we submit a FOIL request for the video from 1020?

10 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

They had a live broadcast on the Citizen app and they said it was the "local residents" who kept following up, along with a few people walking by. I still can't believe how much publicity that whole situation received. It's funny how when it's the drivers fault, video evidence gets publicity released, but when it's the MTAs fault, no video evidence released (XN60 1020)

The screwed up thing was that, it wasn't officially released by the MTA...people in Zerega leaked it and it caught fire everywhere it went.

How they haven't gotten fired for that yet is beyond me.

Edited by Cait Sith

On 6/10/2021 at 2:17 AM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Not only the 99 routes, but a bunch of other routes with enhanced overnight service. It's on the MTA website: https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/overnight

There are several routes which apparently will retain the existing enhanced overnight service (as they don't mirror subways, or mirror them enough based on the description).

The Bronx

• Bx15 (every 10-20 minutes)
  • Bx19 & Bx21 (every 22.5 minutes)

Brooklyn

• B8, B44 Local, B46 Local, B61, B68 (every 20 minutes)
  • B38, B63 (every 22.5 minutes), 

Manhattan

• M2, M7 (every 20 min weekdays, every 30 min weekends)
  • M15 (every 15 minutes)
  • M102 (Weekdays Only, every 20 minutes)
  • M104 (Weekdays Only, every 22.5 minutes)

Queens

• Q24, Q53 SBS (every 20 minutes)
  • Q65 (every 15-20 minutes)
  • Q60, Q66 (every 15 minutes)

I checked TripPlanner for June 17th for some of the buses listed above (Q53, Q60, B44, B46), and the enhanced overnight schedule are still available on that day

Seems like all of the enhanced overnight bus service went away just looked on google maps and the M2 and Q53 are back to its 60 minute frequency 

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Seems like all of the enhanced overnight bus service went away just looked on google maps and the M2 and Q53 are back to its 60 minute frequency 

Yeah, I made a post referencing this a few days ago (it's on the previous page). All service was eliminated, and they didn't put out any tweet or anything to clarify the potential confusion from the MTA website.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

9 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Went fanning throughout Brooklyn today....

I mean good lord, how many buses did they dedicate towards the (A) shuttles... Seemed like every stint I was in Downtown today [3 separate times], shuttle buses were arriving & leaving in 3's & 4's....

Don’t know, but I know it’s at least 40+, they running that (A) shuttle like the B6 down there. Lol

16 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Went fanning throughout Brooklyn today....

I mean good lord, how many buses did they dedicate towards the (A) shuttles... Seemed like every stint I was in Downtown today [3 separate times], shuttle buses were arriving & leaving in 3's & 4's....

That's an all-hands-on-deck shuttle. Last weekend when I was on the B67 I saw buses from West Farms and College Point hanging out by Jay Street at late hours via the radio and still looking for extra help at 12 AM via the radio

Edited by SoSpectacular

The A & C lines have heavy weekend ridership, not surprised its bustution is an all hands on deck shuttle. Avoided like the plaque until today, got an Nova Artic from WF! Canarsie L to the A riders have it rough this weekend, L running as an shuttle every 24 minutes, and the A is out between Utica and Jay street, yikes.

4 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

That's an all-hands-on-deck shuttle. Last weekend when I was on the B67 I saw buses from West Farms and College Point hanging out by Jay Street at late hours via the radio and still looking for extra help at 12 AM via the radio

I was one of those buses on the shuttle. It was extremely busy. 

What is everyone's thoughts on having the Q52 turn up Yellowstone Blvd and terminate at 71st-Continential? I think that would definitely balance out the ridership between the Q53 and Q52 since riders looking for an express subway can get the Q52 to 71st for the (E)(F) while those still heading for the mall/Jackson Hts/(7) train/Woodside can grab a Q53. 

Whenever I walk around 14 St or use the M14A/D between the High Line and the Williamsburg Bridge area, most of the M14 buses are XD-60s. Sometimes, there's one or 4 Nova LFSAs but almost all the buses are the Xcelsiors. Wonder the amount they have is big enough to make it all XD-60s or that it's what bus ops at Quill would prefer to use on the road?

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, shiznit1987 said:

What is everyone's thoughts on having the Q52 turn up Yellowstone Blvd and terminate at 71st-Continential? I think that would definitely balance out the ridership between the Q53 and Q52 since riders looking for an express subway can get the Q52 to 71st for the (E)(F) while those still heading for the mall/Jackson Hts/(7) train/Woodside can grab a Q53. 

Somehow, I don't think that'll balance out much of anything so much as tank it. I could be wrong, but I can't see dedicating the Q52 strictly to a subway connection (with an incidental LIRR connection) working out. Short of completely folding it (back) into the Q53, I'd just have it continue to Woodside. There's plenty of ridership north of Queens Boulevard, after all.

2 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

What is everyone's thoughts on having the Q52 turn up Yellowstone Blvd and terminate at 71st-Continental? I think that would definitely balance out the ridership between the Q53 and Q52 since riders looking for an express subway can get the Q52 to 71st for the (E)(F) while those still heading for the mall/Jackson Hts/(7) train/Woodside can grab a Q53.

To make this a little more fair, I'll ignore the Q53's stint b/w LIRR Woodside & QCM (well, Hoffman dr.)....

That said, while there would be a decent amt. of people that would make the shift to a Q52 of sorts, it would not be remotely close to that of a balancement between overall Q53 & (such a diverted) Q52 usage.... Q53 service levels are almost double that of Q52 service & there are simply more people taking Q53's over Q52's in the Rockaways... There would have to be a massive shift of people staying on the QB express all the way to 71st-Continental, which I don't see really happening.

Your plan also ignores QCM & Queens Place goers/shoppers.... Those people would all be on Q53's.

Edited by B35 via Church

6 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The A & C lines have heavy weekend ridership, not surprised its bustution is an all hands on deck shuttle. Avoided like the plaque until today, got an Nova Artic from WF! Canarsie L to the A riders have it rough this weekend, L running as an shuttle every 24 minutes, and the A is out between Utica and Jay street, yikes.

Articulated buses are also banned from the (L) shuttle after a driver got stuck making the turn near Atlantic Av on the (L), so 40 foot buses all the time.

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

Articulated buses are also banned from the (L) shuttle after a driver got stuck making the turn near Atlantic Av on the (L), so 40 foot buses all the time.

Damm.. That part I didn't know about.. Very interesting. Had that artic was an (L) express we would be singing a different tune on that and that routing wouldn't be in effect.  Was the artic from the Brooklyn Division or Bronx Division?