BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

What if express buses were not closed door, meaning they charge only 2.5 if traveling within the same borough

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

If you're lucky, that happens in Staten Island from time to time. There was an MCI and a Prevost on the S89 Limited on Monday during the a.m. rush. I caught an MCI on the S78 two weeks ago doing a school tripper to Tottenville High School and over the summer I caught a Prevost on the S62 and an MCI on the S89.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if express buses were not closed door, meaning they charge only 2.5 if traveling within the same borough

If you're lucky, that happens in Staten Island from time to time. There was an MCI and a Prevost on the S89 Limited on Monday during the a.m. rush. I caught an MCI on the S78 two weeks ago doing a school tripper to Tottenville High School and over the summer I caught a Prevost on the S62 and an MCI on the S89.

that's not what I mean. I thought about this not to get a ride in a prevost/mci just to have the routes themselves to be open door

It's always been like that over at Yukon, which is how they beat up the suburban Orion V's (400's, IIRC), but that's another discussion.

that's not what I mean. I thought about this not to get a ride in a prevost/mci just to have the routes themselves to be open door

And furthermore on the matter most of the express trips carry more than a sufficient ridership, so ultimately opening routes for inter-borugh travel would be counter productive.

If you're lucky, that happens in Staten Island from time to time. There was an MCI and a Prevost on the S89 Limited on Monday during the a.m. rush. I caught an MCI on the S78 two weeks ago doing a school tripper to Tottenville High School and over the summer I caught a Prevost on the S62 and an MCI on the S89. It's always been like that over at Yukon, which is how they beat up the suburban Orion V's (400's, IIRC), but that's another discussion.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free And furthermore on the matter most of the express trips carry more than a sufficient ridership, so ultimately opening routes for inter-borugh travel would be counter productive.

I don't mean during peak, but like reverse peak or during the day, most areas that the buses run through could do well with extra service

They wouldn't be express buses and there would be no point in having them. As I've said numerous times, the whole purpose of express buses is to serve those commuting from the outerboroughs to Manhattan, as they are commuter buses.

Actually, Command actually let riders get onto the express bus for Intra-Manhattan Travel or Inta-Brooklyn Travel. They charged a lower fare for it (half the price). I don't know how thy worked out though, unless they made those people somehow sit in the front for those only taking it within broughs or something. Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

They wouldn't be express buses and there would be no point in having them. As I've said numerous times, the whole purpose of express buses is to serve those commuting from the outerboroughs to Manhattan, as they are commuter buses.Actually, Command actually let riders get onto the express bus for Intra-Manhattan Travel or Inta-Brooklyn Travel. They charged a lower fare for it (half the price). I don't know how thy worked out though, unless they made those people somehow sit in the front for those only taking it within broughs or something.

They probably had them pay when they got off and depending on where they got off they paid a different price

Edit:Depending on where they got on or off not just where they got off

Was looking at a Brooklyn bus map from the 1980s, And I noticed that the Queens routes that came to brooklyn were considered Brooklyn routes as well as the original ones. Like the B22 (Q24), B56 (Q56), B53 (Q54), B58, (Q58), B55 (Q55) and B59 (Q59). I really didn't know that. Funny thing is my friend told me she took the B56 one time & I corrected her but she still thought it was called the B56 lol. Also I noticed the B52 ran on Quincy as well as Gates and the B47 then is the B43 now.

Edited by E For Erica

Was looking at a Brooklyn bus map from the 1980s, And I noticed that the Queens routes that came to brooklyn were considered Brooklyn routes as well as the original ones. Like the B22 (Q24), B56 (Q56), B53 (Q54), B58, (Q58), B55 (Q55) and B59 (Q59). I really didn't know that. Funny thing is my friend told me she took the B56 one time & I corrected her but she still thought it was called the B56 lol. Also I noticed the B52 ran on Quincy as well as Gates and the B47 then is the B43 now.

They transfered over to Queens routes once Jamaica Center Opened in '88

Q: Eastchester Depot, Is it both a scrapyard and a depot? meaning left side is a depot while the right is the junkyard

and before Eastchester Local uses RTS, I wonder why thet were replaced by the Orion 5

Edited by Calvin

Actually, Command actually let riders get onto the express bus for Intra-Manhattan Travel or Inta-Brooklyn Travel. They charged a lower fare for it (half the price). I don't know how thy worked out though, unless they made those people somehow sit in the front for those only taking it within broughs or something.

I think we already know how it worked out, as they were gobbled up by (MTA) Bus...

Q: Eastchester Depot, Is it both a scrapyard and a depot? meaning left side is a depot while the right is the junkyard

and before Eastchester Local uses RTS, I wonder why thet were replaced by the Orion 5

Eastchester is a depot and a storage yard for retired buses. It's not a scrapyard. There are 2 sides to it, based on looking north, the left side closest to the highway is the lot where retired buses get placed awaiting a tow truck to tow them to an actual scrapyard, or to leave it there to use that retired buses' spare parts to put on operating buses if needed. The right side includes the actual depot and a storage yard. The storage yard includes retired buses that could be used again in case of emergency, as well as await to be sold or to be preserved to the museum, but mainly to be reserved for assistance help which rarely happens. The depot is in the front side of the storage yard.

Eastchester is a depot and a storage yard for retired buses. It's not a scrapyard. There are 2 sides to it, based on looking north, the left side closest to the highway is the lot where retired buses get placed awaiting a tow truck to tow them to an actual scrapyard, or to leave it there to use that retired buses' spare parts to put on operating buses if needed. The right side includes the actual depot and a storage yard. The storage yard includes retired buses that could be used again in case of emergency, as well as await to be sold or to be preserved to the museum, but mainly to be reserved for assistance help which rarely happens. The depot is in the front side of the storage yard.

In other words same difference.

I mean the reality of it is that the buses in storage are going to scrap eventually.

They should reprogram the sign on the B25. It should say:

B25 East New York

Alabama Avenue

B25 via Fulton St

I mean the B25 only stops like one block away from Broadway Junction so it's simpler that way. And people might get confused then think the B25 goes all the way in East New York. So yea.

In a un-related topic, a B/O on the Q83 today was trying to flirt with me as he was driving the bus (I was talking to him pretty much the whole ride because I don't take the 83 & I didn't wanna get lost) Mind you he took his eyes off the road to stare me down for like 2 mins lmao. I hope he's the B/O next time I take it. It was an LFS too so I really hope I catch that "free ride" again.

I mean the B25 only stops like one block away from Broadway Junction so it's simpler that way. And people might get confused then think the B25 goes all the way in East New York. So yea.

In a un-related topic, a B/O on the Q83 today was trying to flirt with me as he was driving the bus (I was talking to him pretty much the whole ride because I don't take the 83 & I didn't wanna get lost) Mind you he took his eyes off the road to stare me down for like 2 mins lmao. I hope he's the B/O next time I take it. It was an LFS too so I really hope I catch that "free ride" again.

Lol, happens more often than not.

@ MTA Bus, I wish they would expand DeKalb Avenue tho. I can see the B38 running along DeKalb in both directions the whole route instead of it becoming a one way street after Bushwick going towards Downtown Brooklyn. Plus it'll free up Lafayette Avenue from bus traffic. But regardless the B38 program should include "via DeKalb" just in case.

Edited by E For Erica