BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On blind faith perhaps? Hopefully it ends up being so, because there's no evidence of it here in the present... The younger posters (generally speaking) are not showing their knowledge of the (bus) routes themselves & musing/discussing adequate/inadequate service levels on them.... When I came into this online NYC about a decade ago, there were teens ripe w/ ideas (no matter how asinine the older folks felt they were) as to what bus routes should go where & how much service should be had on them...... I'm not seeing that on this forum or on subchat, at least.... That's even waned a bit in the subway section as well....

The lots of activity on whatever transit forums that will exist [when my generation (and older) perishes], will likely be had on the inner workings of & the little additions/nuances on the buses & trains, rather than the actual service levels on them.... That's the direction the online transit community is heading in right now....

FTR, I'm not remotely saying that's a bad thing; but at the same time, I just don't want that sight to be lost upon the younger folks... The services being provided is just as important as whatever technological (or even mechanical) implementations of anything on/for the individual modes to ease the peace of minds before, during, and after a commute....

I think the point about childish remarks was a second point he was making, separate from the point regarding service being more important than USB ports or w/e..... After he made that statement about USB ports, that should've started another paragraph (basically talking about quality of posts & maturity of the current posters).....

I didn't address that point of his in my post, because quite frankly, you're going to have immaturity on any online forum - IDC how young or old posters are......

You were right about the new paragraph. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was commenting on the new tech vs. the quality of service and I stopped there and came back to my intended post later on. I was in NC at the time and when I got to the bus forums I tried to catch up on what I missed. That's when I noticed that BrooklynBus  and VG8 seemed to be MIA. I went back and re-read some earlier posts and saw what happened. My (missing) new paragraph would have related to the fact that we posters come from different backgrounds, age groups, and experience and to me it's that combination that makes this a rewarding part of my day. I don't ride the express bus, don't live in NYC proper any more, haven't stopped in the Bronx or Riverdale in 5 years. Having said that it appeared, at least to me, that some people were trying to gang up on, or provoke a response from a long time poster, VG8 and detSMART45. Again, I value everyone's opinion and experiences from the  bus fanners, subway folks, and commuters. The local media can't compare to the knowledge I gain from NYCTF so let's ease up on the petty squabbling and blacklisting of each other.  Many years ago my grandmother told me that the day you stop learning is the day they bury you. I'm not ready to go that way yet.  I still see that bunching going on the 12, B35 and I want to see how the B46SBS works out. It seems that the (MTA) gives out these puff PR releases to the media about SBS and express bus ridership but I'd rather hear from you guys. Carry on.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll definitely give them credit for coming up with a new idea and trying to implement it as regular citizens. 

As for the idea itself, the problem is that too much of the route is the "core" of the route through Central Midtown (say, Park-8th Avenue). It would be similar to having the (J)(Z) do skip-stop service within Manhattan itself, with one route stopping at Fulton and Canal, and the other stopping at Chambers. The point of skip-stop is to aggregate the people from the smaller stops more efficiently so that they all get to the major stops.

I mean, what stops have low enough ridership where you can reasonably skip them? Maybe have the M34 skip 3rd Avenue both ways (and 2nd Avenue westbound), and have the M34A skip 1st Avenue going westbound and 9th Avenue eastbound. I don't think it would be worth the trouble for the confusion that would result.

While they were talking amongst themselves, I was saying to myself "you're going to have to double the service for that to work out"... Which simply isn't going to happen - especially with a route that artics are already being ran on....

It's one of the very few instances in life where I felt like jumping into some strangers' convo....

I bet you will.  I'm almost certain that I saw you or someone from this site taking pics at 5th and 42nd twice in the afternoon.  :lol:  

Today? I haven't been in Manhattan since last week or so (and I generally don't go into Manhattan on Sundays).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I still have yet to go and grab pics of these buses. The issue for me is mainly time, but I'll get my shots eventually.

Luckily I didn't have much trouble getting on on the Q10 last Friday so you won't have to wait to long unless you are trying to get a pic on the Q111/113/114

Today? I haven't been in Manhattan since last week or so (and I generally don't go into Manhattan on Sundays).

No, this was a week or two ago around 14:30-15:00 on a weekday. Saw the same guy twice with a big camera looking for something (I assumed buses). I was out for a walk for an espresso and noticed how focused the guy was. Looked Latino. I said to myself this guy must be from NYCT and chuckled to myself. Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

No, this was a week or two ago around 14:30-15:00 on a weekday. Saw the same guy twice with a big camera looking for something (I assumed buses). I was out for a walk for an espresso and noticed how focused the guy was. Looked Latino. I said to myself this guy must be from NYCT and chuckled to myself.

It wasn't me then. I don't have a DSLR or any sort of big camera.

Luckily I didn't have much trouble getting on on the Q10 last Friday so you won't have to wait to long unless you are trying to get a pic on the Q111/113/114

See, I was at work (unexpectedly) on Saturday and thinking about getting some shots, but there weren't any artics on the Brewer routes, and there isn't a direct route from the northeastern part of Fresh Meadows to Kew Gardens unless I walk to Union Turnpike. I was kinda tired anyway, so I just went home

See, I was at work (unexpectedly) on Saturday and thinking about getting some shots, but there weren't any artics on the Brewer routes, and there isn't a direct route from the northeastern part of Fresh Meadows to Kew Gardens unless I walk to Union Turnpike. I was kinda tired anyway, so I just went home

The guy wears glasses and is medium height. Not short, but not tall either, but clearly takes pics of buses.

BP has too little artics to run them on weekends for now. Maybe when the loans at JFK go to BP, that's when weekend service will start. Edited by MysteriousBtrain

The guy wears glasses and is medium height. Not short, but not tall either, but clearly takes pics of buses.

I'm usually not out of my shift until 2:30 PM-3:00 PM on weekdays. Unless I can teleport to Midtown (lol), I would not be able to make in such times. I may know some people who may fit that description, but I honestly don't know who you saw, because, well, I'm not you.

BP has too little artics to run them on weekends for now. Maybe when the loans at JFK go to BP, that's when weekend service will start.

Well, I don't see the problem with running them, as it is better than having to stand on a crowded bus (those buses do get crowded during the weekend too for sure).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Only been there for a couple of days and the days and the XD60s are already getting dirtied up a little bit. A sandwich left on 5394 on the Q113 today.

I hate when some people do that. They act like it's "ok" to do it. I'm pretty sure no one likes it when one of his or her friends leaves trash in his or her brand new car.

Thats the problem with the Nova LFSA buses

It's any public transport vehicle that everyone uses, who are too lazy to wait for their stop to recycle the garbage. It's typical, to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk