BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

I'm not... it's a weekday schedule and articulated buses are staying inside, of course there were gonna be a lot of loans today

And I assume schools are still open? Today’s commute is going back to be hell. 

15 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Are you talking about that smell of diesel fuel in the rear of the bus? I think that's what the smell is, I love that smell, makes those RTS's feel so old school.

I think it's more the wooden floors that are giving off that "aged bus" smell

They've finally released the new Staten Island express bus plan and it is a doozy...

They're abolishing the X prefix and using SIM instead...

main webpage: http://nymta.civicconnect.com

peak routes map :

map-new-peak-express-network.pdf

off peak map:

map-new-off-peak-express-network.pdf

individual route maps:

http://nymta.civicconnect.com/sites/default/files/map-all-routes.pdf

Yeah, I just posted in Union Tpke's thread not too long ago.... AFAIC, the new numbering scheme is SIMply BS.....

While there should be uniformity with the route numbering of the express bus network, I think they should have stuck with the 'X' notation, instead of abolishing it.... Never mind the physical routing changes, I can already see the impending uproar from SI-ers just on the re-enumeration alone.....

'X' is standard for the term express... It's going to be a little more difficult selling "SIM(whatever)" to some prospective buyer if you're a developer, a homeowner looking to sell, etc.....

Edited by B35 via Church

8 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

I'm here waiting for an M98 but for some reason not a single bus is running

Last time I rode the M98 the bus was so late it came 5 min after the next bus was supposed to depart. I doubt the M98 is a bus they really care for.

19 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Yikes, what a ride home today on the QM2.  Traffic was unbelievable horrific today.  I don't know if it's because everyone was trying to rush home before the storm or what.  My 6th ave QM2 that left at 4:45pm didn't get to Linden/Whitestone Expy until about 6:30.  This is usually about an hour or so trip.  I've never seen the Queensboro bridge so backed up.  My driver actually went via the Upper Roadway to get to Northern which I'm not sure really saved us any time because it literally took us about a half hour to get from the exit off the bridge onto 21st street to where the lower roadway would turn onto Northern.  

I actually felt bad for the poor B/O.  He was clearly very frazzled (though he was a very skilled driver) and had it by the the time I got off.  

I got stuck in this mess yesterday afternoon too.  There was an accident on the Manhattan-bound lower level.  But there weren't any traffic cops in Queens Plaza yesterday so the whole area gridlocked causing 30-45 minute delays crossing through Queens Plaza...it was a nightmare.

Meanwhile, this afternoon, the buses are booking it back to NE Queens with low traffic and probably low passenger volumes.

2 minutes ago, 7-express said:

I got stuck in this mess yesterday afternoon too.  There was an accident on the Manhattan-bound lower level.  But there weren't any traffic cops in Queens Plaza yesterday so the whole area gridlocked causing 30-45 minute delays crossing through Queens Plaza...it was a nightmare.

Meanwhile, this afternoon, the buses are booking it back to NE Queens with low traffic and probably low passenger volumes.

My BxM1 made record time today... Something like 35 minutes... lol I had to do a double take with my phone. There was no traffic to speak of and my office is closing early.

15 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

I'm here waiting for an M98 but for some reason not a single bus is running

6 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Last time I rode the M98 the bus was so late it came 5 min after the next bus was supposed to depart. I doubt the M98 is a bus they really care for.

They’ve been trying to get rid of the M98 for over a decade now, so this doesn’t surprise me.

On 3/7/2018 at 8:04 AM, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

I'm not... it's a weekday schedule and articulated buses are staying inside, of course there were gonna be a lot of loans today

I have been to Canada "Quebec" and they run their articulated buses durning snowstorms with no problems. Maybe the buses are awd?