BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Coney Island Av said:

Do any of ya'll know some good places in Staten Island for express bus shots? 

I want to get photos/videos of every bus from X1-X31 before the new network goes into effect. 

My best bet for you: Try these locations  Hylan Blvd, Richmond Avenue, ETC (Etingville Transit Center), Tottenville, Staten Island Mall, Port Richmond.

21 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

I believe on page II-26 through page II-28. On page II-28 it says "MTA Bus: expenses increase on average by $1 million annually from 2018 to 2021. These changes mostly reflect costs associated with the articulated bus loan program with NYCT used to service SBS routes, and inflationary adjustments."

Got it. The wording had me confused. Didn’t know they started calling it a “Program.” That would suggest it’s a regular thing. But yes MTA Bus has to pay NYCT for the use of the buses because they are brand new, and NYCT will not get the full use-per-dollar out of them because of this.

1 hour ago, East New York said:

Got it. The wording had me confused. Didn’t know they started calling it a “Program.” That would suggest it’s a regular thing. But yes MTA Bus has to pay NYCT for the use of the buses because they are brand new, and NYCT will not get the full use-per-dollar out of them because of this.

the wording had me confused as well. I guess if its driving up costs then yeah get rid of it. 

19 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Do any of ya'll know some good places in Staten Island for express bus shots? 

I want to get photos/videos of every bus from X1-X31 before the new network goes into effect. 

I'd say Narrows Rd (b/w Hylan & Fingerboard), ETC itself, & Port Richmond/Forest, Hylan at & north of New Dorp, checkpoint over there at Arthur Kill/Huguenot are some places that come to mind....

If you want to grab some shots whilst in Manhattan, you can gun for State st/Battery place (Bowling green area) & 42nd st (b/w 5th & PABT) as well...

Edited by B35 via Church

7 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I wonder why the (MTA) doesn't have any express routes going to places other than Manhattan. For example, if you want to get from Staten Island to Queens, you have to transfer in Manhattan with all of the traffic there. 

Because express buses are supposed to take people from the outerboroughs to the CBD (Central Business District) which is essentially either Midtown or Downtown. That's why every express bus that goes to Manhattan either terminates Downtown or Midtown.  Unfortunately I don't see that changing, even with this bus re-design.  If you want to use the express bus to get from say the South Shore to Northeast Queens, you will have to take the express bus into Manhattan and transfer for a Queens express bus.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If you want to use the express bus to get from say the South Shore to Northeast Queens, you will have to take the express bus into Manhattan and transfer for a Queens express bus.

And if you're coming from the deap south shore as of August 19th, you're going to have to tansfer to the subway during off-peak hours.

6 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

And if you're coming from the deap south shore as of August 19th, you're going to have to tansfer to the subway during off-peak hours.

Yep... The (MTA) would never run such an express bus service anyway, likely citing a lack of ridership.  Technically speaking, if we were going just based off of the whole CBD (Central Business District) concept most express buses would run peak-service only, but obviously people work at all hours now and the areas without subways need the service outside of peak periods as well, as people use the express buses for work and play.  Without the service, congestion would be far worse than it is now or people simply wouldn't commute as much. For example, I do my grocery shopping primarily in Manhattan first and my neighborhood second just because I have more options available to me, as food is actually more expensive in my neighborhood 9 times out of 10.  If I didn't have service off-peak I would likely go shopping in Westchester instead or get an Uber to Manhattan and back.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

9 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Yes, they cut it because the X28 now runs on weekends. But many people used it as a quick way to get to Staten Island from Brooklyn. 

Beat me to it....

7 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I wonder why the (MTA) doesn't have any express routes going to places other than Manhattan. For example, if you want to get from Staten Island to Queens, you have to transfer in Manhattan with all of the traffic there. 

It's guaranteed ridership. A rider headed from Staten Island to Queens can transfer in Manhattan without too much trouble (where it also benefits those who go to Manhattan itself), compared to a direct SI-Queens express bus where it would be virtually useless for somebody heading to Manhattan (depending of course, on what part of Queens you're talking about)

The other thing to consider is the HOV lane network. For example, even if there was a branch of the X17 that went to Long Island City (where I work, and where it is slowly becoming business-oriented), I would probably continue going into Manhattan because the HOV lane connections are better (and also, because such a route would probably only run every 30-60 minutes)

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Just saw a dehead on Richmond Ave signed up as an SIM10.

I was on an X17A going home, and I think I caught a glimpse of an SIM4C on the SIE heading eastbound.

14 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I'd say Narrows Rd (b/w Hylan & Fingerboard), ETC itself, & Port Richmond/Forest, Hylan at & north of New Dorp, checkpoint over there at Arthur Kill/Huguenot are some places that come to mind....

If you want to grab some shots whilst in Manhattan, you can gun for State st/Battery place (Bowling green area) & 42nd st (b/w 5th & PABT) as well...

From that, depends on what type of shots you're looking for. For just getting a shot and leaving, yeah, that's a good area. For all other shots, any specific shots in mind, I would suggest the 6th Avenue stop. Additionally, if a bus misses the light at Broadway, that's another good opportunity. Those two areas generally don't have as many pedestrians as 7th or 8th Avenues. The corner of 8th Avenue is the worst though, too many people, plus the jitneys that lay over, and the delivery trucks that pass every once in a while.

324 with new screens. The ones found on the newer XD40s and XN60s.

Also could one of the mods make a On-board screen thread similar to the thread on scrapped and repainted buses? Would be really helpful with all these new additions to screens on older buses.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
Request for a new thread