BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Xcelsiors with inward opening doors open so fast. Literally would've been perfect for the MTA. Them Novas take like 5 secs to open. 

Another stupid spec decision. 

Edit: I just checked the S79 on bus time as of 7:41. There's an SI Mall bound S79 approaching Richmond & Hylan, one at Hylan and Clove SI Mall bound the following SI Mall bus is at 4th Ave & 86st.

There are legit 13 buses Bay Ridge bound in-between Hylan and Quintard, and Narrows Rd and Fingerboard...wtf happened on the bridge today....

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/4/2018 at 10:28 AM, mine248 said:

I’ve seen 2nd Gen LFSes run by Academy for Columbia...until this fall when the XE40s took over. 

NYU:

1 XDE40. 

2 Orion 7 E10 hybrid

5 Gen 3 LFS’

10 Gen 4 LFS’

Columbia:

5 Gen 2 LFS’

6 XE40’s on order

In addition Acedemy has 5 Gen 3 LFS’ that they accoasionally use when and where needed. 

On 11/5/2018 at 6:19 PM, Lil 57 said:

The last clip was an Orion V (transit) X10. They ran local buses on Express Routes also?

Or was that a suburban bus?

Prior to 1998 all express buses were Fishbowls, RTS’ and Orion V’s. 

On 11/5/2018 at 6:50 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

A handful of RTS and Orion V had suburban seats until the mid 2000's. Namely most of the 100's, 611-630, and some 1000 and 4000 series RTS. 

Even 9250-9349 were once were used for express service. And today we have 9307 and 9348 remaining. The last two buses in service formerly for express.

There were a lot more than a handful lol. By the time you came along there were likely only a handful. Including the PBL’s the above mentioned buses dominated express and local service. As mentioned by others, many of the buses had hard seats back in the day, but quite a few has suburban and most had semi-suburban. 

3 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Why can a B/O kick off a paying customer with an open baby stroller (And hold the whole bus up in the process of kicking said customer off the bus), but they can’t/won’t do anything about the farebeaters?

Good question. I saw this on the M15SBS a few years ago, and some passengers were outraged by the driver's callousness.  He refused to move, kept yelling at the passengers in the back, then got out of his seat and stepped off of the bus demanding that they get off of the bus. His behavior was incredibly rude.

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

Why can a B/O kick off a paying customer with an open baby stroller (And hold the whole bus up in the process of kicking said customer off the bus), but they can’t/won’t do anything about the farebeaters?

Open baby strollers are not permitted.

So I just got off 5457 on the M60. The ride to Astoria-31 was fine and dandy, until I got off and realized the bus was at the out-of-service stop at Hoyt/31 and not the temporary stop with the Q19 at Astoria Blvd proper. Like, there were 6 people waiting there for a bus that completely skipped them.

8 hours ago, trife86 said:

Open baby strollers are not permitted.

Fare beating’s not allowed either, but no one does anything about *that*...

All I’m saying is if NYCT B/O’s have the stones to park their buses and get out of their seats to confront women with open baby strollers, they should also grow a set and confront farebeaters also.

Edited by paulrivera

11 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

All I’m saying is if NYCT B/O’s have the stones to park their buses and get out of their seats to confront women with open baby strollers, they should also grow a set and confront farebeaters also.

In fact that’s exactly what they used to do back in the day. They’d park the bus and wouldn’t move and then they’d call for the cops. 

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

In fact that’s exactly what they used to do back in the day. They’d park the bus and wouldn’t move and then they’d call for the cops. 

Recently I was on the S89 and 2 girls got on by the mall and attempted to farebeat. The B/O called them over and refused to move the bus until they pay the fare. One had a Student MetroCard (which is free) and another one had to find a regular MetroCard with money.

7 hours ago, paulrivera said:

It's not about "having stones" it comes down to just following orders from above.

On 11/7/2018 at 11:28 PM, paulrivera said:

Assaults happen more often than you think.

Bus can not move with an open stroller. Regardless of confronting the women or not.

Edited by Statty

2 hours ago, Statty said:

Bus can not move with an open stroller. Regardless of confronting the women or not.

Oh, I’m actually not against people having to close their strollers. But with a transit system starving for funding and tanking its ridership, they need to reassess some of their priorities. The fact that they give drivers autonomy to confront people for having an open stroller (a policy violation) but *not* for refusing to pay (a borderline crime) is something that should be better thought out.

9 hours ago, Statty said:

But can move with farebeaters when it used to not move before. We’re just pointing out the inconsistency in the agency. If they’re so concerned about “safety”, then those farebeaters shouldn’t be allowed on. We’ve seen what happens when people that farebeaters get on and cause a ruckus.