BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Also first Cuomo-schemed bus to get in a REALLY BAD ACCIDENT and first bus in general to suffer MAJOR DAMAGE since 7430 was involved in last years collision in Flushing Chinatown. According to the daily news, here is the damage to the front:

And you would think that these LFSA "Smart" buses would be able to withstand frontal collisions after claiming to exceed APTA's White Book crash worthiness requirements, but I guess not. Looks like the Smart bus name was a little bit exaggerated. Time to redo the crash-worthiness test APTA.

Im guessing you don't know how firetrucks work.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I thought 9505 was in a major accident? So wouldn't that bus be the first "Cuomo" bus to have a major accident? For some weird reason pics never leaked 9505 after its accident.

Someone may have posted the picture here, and the damage didn't cause any injuries 

9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I dont mean to bug you, but how many buses other then 5477 got into a bad accident yesterday.

5477 is not completely destroyed for one. It's a Nova, built in modules exactly like the RTS. As of right now it appears that the frame is in tact, and it will return to service at some point. Even if the frame is not in tact, the entire front section of the bus can be replaced. There were no fatalities as well, so the bus should return to service after a bit of work. 

My prelim reports show about 14 artics that are damaged, many of them having the articulated joints ripped open. We had a few bus-on-bus accidents including a pair of brand new 2018 LFS'. One slid into the other on a turn and they hit each other at the artic joint. All I can say is thank God it's Saturday. The shops are full from ZA to EC to GA and EN with pending repairs. 

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I thought 9505 was in a major accident? So wouldn't that bus be the first "Cuomo" bus to have a major accident? For some weird reason pics never leaked 9505 after its accident.

That wasn't a major accident. I have a couple pics. A 2015 XD40 ran into the back of it. It should be out of the shop in short order. However, it may take a bit of time for it to come back because New Flyer will have to either repair it themselves, or supervise the repair of the bus because it is still under warranty. BAE will probably want to take a look at it as well seeing as this is a pilot fleet.

NOTE TO ALL: BAE is pronounced like B.A.E. I've heard quite a few people calling the company BAE (pronounced "Bay") like a term of endearment. It's British Aerospace Engineering to be exact.  

Edited by East New York

5 hours ago, East New York said:

5477 is not completely destroyed for one. It's a Nova, built in modules exactly like the RTS. As of right now it appears that the frame is in tact, and it will return to service at some point. Even if the frame is not in tact, the entire front section of the bus can be replaced. There were no fatalities as well, so the bus should return to service after a bit of work. 

My prelim reports show about 14 artics that are damaged, many of them having the articulated joints ripped open. We had a few bus-on-bus accidents including a pair of brand new 2018 LFS'. One slid into the other on a turn and they hit each other at the artic joint. All I can say is thank God it's Saturday. The shops are full from ZA to EC to GA and EN with pending repairs. 

That wasn't a major accident. I have a couple pics. A 2015 XD40 ran into the back of it. It should be out of the shop in short order. However, it may take a bit of time for it to come back because New Flyer will have to either repair it themselves, or supervise the repair of the bus because it is still under warranty. BAE will probably want to take a look at it as well seeing as this is a pilot fleet.

NOTE TO ALL: BAE is pronounced like B.A.E. I've heard quite a few people calling the company BAE (pronounced "Bay") like a term of endearment. It's British Aerospace Engineering to be exact.  

That's an actual company? I honestly though some of these fans were actually calling buses "bae" lol

On 11/16/2018 at 12:10 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What are you talking about? That is an absolute lie.  They run until midnight.  You need to get your facts straight. I've been living here for over six years and have taken them at various hours. In fact it came last night at 10:30 after service had been temporarily suspended.

You don’t really have to get all upset about it, all I was doing was messing with your brains a little bit since you said that you use Uber after a certain time of day. Cars like this are only good for only if you missed your last bus of the day. But be careful. One day, you may not have the money for car drivers, then it’s back to the old drawing board: using public transportation. This is why I don’t use Uber/LYFT because some people just drain your money from your wallet. I’ll wait until the train of my choosing comes then get on. It doesn’t matter what time of day it is. 

1 hour ago, FLX9304 said:

You don’t really have to get all upset about it, all I was doing was messing with your brains a little bit since you said that you use Uber after a certain time of day. Cars like this are only good for only if you missed your last bus of the day. But be careful. One day, you may not have the money for car drivers, then it’s back to the old drawing board: using public transportation. This is why I don’t use Uber/LYFT because some people just drain your money from your wallet. I’ll wait until the train of my choosing comes then get on. It doesn’t matter what time of day it is. 

I don’t know what you’re talking about, and I don’t think you know either...

19 minutes ago, mine248 said:

Didn’t work on my side. 

On the BusTime website they work as "BJ-MW", "MW-ML", and "BEDLOOP".

Are there any more for other shuttles or are those just the only trackable ones now? I remember someone mentioning a few trackable shuttle routes a long time ago but I want to start compiling a list of them just cause

1 Road Call! Lol. Never seen An XD40 on Church Avenue. 

22 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Caused the death of a passenger on that bus, which was written off.

Wasn’t it 2 passengers on the bus, the Chinese bus operator, and a pedestrian that died? 

11 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Yeah, BAE has been around for ages. They used to make planes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Systems

They still make parts and electronic systems for planes. They power the F-35 lightening as well. The BAE Systems hybrid is made based off turbine engine technology and design philosophy. 

C642DCB9-FD31-4A4D-AB2D-EF95DB539C9F.jpeg

Just now, checkmatechamp13 said:

I'm curious what SIM routes people have used so far. I've personally used the SIM2, SIM3, SIM3C, SIM4, SIM4C, SIM6, SIM8, SIM25, SIM26, SIM30, SIM32, and SIM33 (with the SIM4 and SIM8 being my primary routes).

For me, it would be the SIM2, and SIM25.

On 11/16/2018 at 5:16 PM, Brillant93 said:

I’ve seen the pictures and my god how bad it was. They said they were equipped with all weathered tires but I don’t think they had much effect. On top of that would you say that nova artics don’t do well in the snow? 

As Cait said I’m general artics, should not be out in the snow. However there is a VERY little known fact that I will point out for the first time. 

New Flyer artics have 10 tires. 

Nova artics have 8 which provides for a much smoother ride and this will over all make the bus last longer. However, you couldn’t pay me to drive one in the snow. The center axel had 1 tire on each side that is wider than a standard tire. This automatically reduces traction to near 0. On turns, pulling in and out of stops is going to disable these twice as fast as a New Flyer which has a lot more rubber trying to contact the pavement. 

On 11/16/2018 at 8:07 PM, JeremiahC99 said:

Also first Cuomo-schemed bus to get in a REALLY BAD ACCIDENT and first bus in general to suffer MAJOR DAMAGE since 7430 was involved in last years collision in Flushing Chinatown. According to the daily news, here is the damage to the front:

And you would think that these LFSA "Smart" buses would be able to withstand frontal collisions after claiming to exceed APTA's White Book crash worthiness requirements, but I guess not. Looks like the Smart bus name was a little bit exaggerated. Time to redo the crash-worthiness test APTA.

Boy If you don’t sit your ass down somewhere! Like really? I’ve had it. You are getting out of hand, and what you are doing is considered slander. You are speaking on something which you know nothing of. Prelim reports say the frame is fine.

Excuse my language again everyone, but no one asked for your damn non-factor ass OPINION.  I however am a mechanic, Transit Consultant, bus owner and business owner. Leave this shit to us professionals please. You don’t even need to comment other than an apology to Novabus and APTA. How dare you. 

And in the words of the MTA, “It is under investigation.” 

Carry on and again, excuse my language but I’m done being nice and politically correct. Final warning. Suspension is next. And you will NOT be notified. 

As far as 9505 I’m sick and tired of those rumors too. Stop with the assumptions people. You all are NOT reading either. I commented on 5477 and 9505 in more than one thread. Who TF started the rumor it was totaled???? I’ve have pics forever, as in from the moment it happened. Several angles, day and night. I just decided to watch, read, take notes, to look at you people make shit up. It stops NOW! 

F9B57F33-9428-4118-9275-6F815403DAAD.jpeg

Edited by East New York

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I'm curious what SIM routes people have used so far. I've personally used the SIM2, SIM3, SIM3C, SIM4, SIM4C, SIM6, SIM8, SIM25, SIM26, SIM30, SIM32, and SIM33 (with the SIM4 and SIM8 being my primary routes).

Drove the 1/1C, 3/3C, 4/4C, 5, 6, 7, 10, 22, 25, 26, 32, 34 and 35.

2 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Are there any more for other shuttles or are those just the only trackable ones now? I

None that I could see.

2 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Are there any more for other shuttles or are those just the only trackable ones now? 

A while ago I remember this same question was asked and the 7 Vernon Jackson-QBP Shuttle was mentioned as being trackable as the Q99. I was never able to replicate it

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I'm curious what SIM routes people have used so far

SIM4c

4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

SIM3c, SIM30. SIM3c was an absolute joke when I rode it, and when I rode the SIM30 it was amazing. I'm taking the SIM30 if it's peak and I'm taking the ferry if it's off peak. When the SIM33c goes into action I will be on that as long as Castleton doesn't have it. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

@checkmatechamp13 I’ve only used the SIM1c and SIM9, but I’ve been tracking the SIM30, SIM1, SIM2, SIM5, SIM7, SIM33 and 34 and numerous other lines and fielding complaints and following up with my contact, and have been up at 57th and Lex and along 23rd street seeing how service has been on the SIM8, SIM22, SIM25 and SIM26, etc., the X and BM lines, and I am regularly on 5th and Madison checking the bus lanes, so I get around. The only reason I haven’t been taking more trips out there is that I’ve been on a tirade to get the BS going on in Queens under control along Union Turnpike. I’ve been taking a lot of QM5 and QM6 trips and busting drivers either not doing trips or offering piss poor customer service. I had one last night too. Let’s just say I don’t expect him to be pulling any stunts going forward.  To boot the 5pm trip to Glen Oaks pulled out 40 minutes late!! Driver put his hand over the farebox and I heard dispatch radioing him. The QM6 driver didn’t want to take me to 57th and 3rd... He’s signed up to go there and yet he and other drivers try to kick passengers off at 6th and 36th. Not okay. I’ve been doing lots of QM2 and QM4 trips as well. That said next week I will definitely be on other lines. I’ve been monitoring the QM15 and some other lines just in passing, but I am due trips on those lines too to see how well things have been going. I do see some improvements here and there, so that’s a start. I need to be on the island anyway since I still shop there from time to time and I am need of some hard to find things for my apartment, so I’ll be riding as both a passenger and to track trips.

For Staten Island, I will be taking a lot more trips out there once January comes in. If we continue to see missing trips and severe overcrowding after those run times and deadhead times are adjusted that’s when the pressure will be turned up. The stuff going on in Queens can be fixed immediately and is more about customer service - hot buses, guys almost flying by the stop, not kneeling for all passengers, etc. Like yesterday. The guy I had on the QM6 made a point to pull into the stop AND kneel for all his female passengers, but didn’t offer the same service for any of his male passengers and I told him about that and the other crap he was pulling. I had to practically go into the street to hail him and get him to stop the damn bus, and then he stops in the street and looks at me as if to say yeah get on. No kneeling the bus or anything. Ridiculous. I told him that is not courteous service. He did the same thing with all other male passengers. Made no effort to pull to the curb and just let them out in the street so if a bike or car was coming they could easily be hit coming off of the bus. That has almost happened to me in fact. Guy on a motor bike came flying around from behind the bus and almost ran me over.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8