BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the LFS has always felt very small and even compared to the orion hybrids it seems small. Speaking of the orion hybrids I remember when BK first got them when I was a kid and my family who lived by the Fresh Pond routes said the buses felt smaller than the RTS. I guess when you have an upstairs in the back and people act like they don't know what move all the way in means of course the buses are going to seem small, in my opinion.  My personally favorite buses with size and seats are the new flyer buses and the BE40. I rode the BE40 and those buses felt so spacious.  

11 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Yeah, put $2.75 in the farebox and I'll ask you real quick. The holiday season is here too, so a lot of tourists would get on the express thinking it's the local bus. 

On the real tho, I had someone get on the 3C a while back, drop $2.75 and played stupid when I told him that it was the express bus. 

Funny you mention this.... I got on the SIM4c a few weeks ago, some chick gets on before me puts in $4.00 and sits down like everything's fine. B/O confronts her about it and she's giving shit excuses about having some "injury". he's telling her the fare is $6.50 or she can take the ferry for free & still she's babbling on oh forget it forget it.... Finally he lets it go.

I can't stand ditzy ass women.

1 hour ago, Missabassie said:

Funny you mention this.... I got on the SIM4c a few weeks ago, some chick gets on before me puts in $4.00 and sits down like everything's fine. B/O confronts her about it and she's giving shit excuses about having some "injury". he's telling her the fare is $6.50 or she can take the ferry for free & still she's babbling on oh forget it forget it.... Finally he lets it go.

I can't stand ditzy ass women.

I wouldn't mind the wait. I would even call the cops if necessary. If it was a simple sorry don't have enough then maybe. Not an "I have an injury" excuse.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

43 minutes ago, trife86 said:

What about it ? It's a extra cusion some guys like. Nothing special.

Agreed. Sitting on those express all day with the HORRIBLE streets we have, you need all the cushion you can get. Now that I’m out taking express bus trips to check service and courteousness, etc. after about five or so trips sometimes I’m thinking better these drivers than me. The cushioned seats help, but the streets can do a number of your back.

On 11/21/2018 at 5:51 PM, Cait Sith said:

Funny how perception can be changed so quickly....overheard a lot of M66s and M72 customers complain about the low-floors that's on the route now.....and how they want the RTSs back because there is more space...

......that's rather funny if you ask me.

The same people that complain are those who can’t get a life. Suck it up. I said it before and I’m gonna keep saying it again. This isnt Bk! They can’t have things their way

8 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

The same people that complain are those who can’t get a life. Suck it up. I said it before and I’m gonna keep saying it again. This isnt Bk! They can’t have things their way

I'm sorry, but with that logic, a lot of areas would have never gotten any service improvements or new buses. Complaints actually work to a degree, whether it brings positive or negative changes. And as someone that rides the M66 and M72 for work purposes, I fully agree. The LFSs are HORRIBLE with any kind of standing room.

Their complaints are legit. I've had to pass up M66s because of buses being full, along with people not wanting to walk to the back of the bus(which there isn't much space up there anyway).

Luckily for them, the new XD40s will hit the line more often, so they'll see much more space than the 8000s that currently on the line....but the best low floors by far with the best standing room, are the NG Hybrids.

Edited by Cait Sith

30 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

I'm sorry, but with that logic, a lot of areas would have never gotten any service improvements or new buses. Complaints actually work to a degree, whether it brings positive or negative changes. And as someone that rides the M66 and M72 for work purposes, I fully agree. The LFSs are HORRIBLE with any kind of standing room.

Their complaints are legit. I've had to pass up M66s because of buses being full, along with people not wanting to walk to the back of the bus(which there isn't much space up there anyway).

Luckily for them, the new XD40s will hit the line more often, so they'll see much more space than the 8000s that currently on the line....but the best low floors by far with the best standing room, are the NG Hybrids.

That’s been going on since the days of old! People not moving to the back is actually unsafe. Many times people are told to do so, so that the drivers have a clear front (doorside mainly). Same thing here in Philly. The 10, 11, 36, 18, 52, and the Blvd routes go thru the same thing as you would go on the M66/72/79/86. 

55 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Maybe the best standing room in the rear, but the front is terrible. This is coming from my days of riding the S79. If the seating was reversed, single seats behind the driver and the double near the doors, it would be the perfect layout. That layout makes the rear door area so crammed, and its so hard to maneuver through that part on a crowded bus. That's one reason why the Orion VII diesels feel so spacious on the low part, until you get to the rear part. 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Maybe the best standing room in the rear, but the front is terrible. This is coming from my days of riding the S79. If the seating was reversed, single seats behind the driver and the double near the doors, it would be the perfect layout. That layout makes the rear door area so crammed, and its so hard to maneuver through that part on a crowded bus. That's one reason why the Orion VII diesels feel so spacious on the low part, until you get to the rear part. 

4229 is the only NG to have reverse seating. Otherwise the back can be cramed on the S79.

16 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

After having been on them on the M57 during the peak of the peak, I'd have to agree with this. They just suck up the whole crowd, it's amazing.

Speaking of which, have they run an XD40 on the M57 yet?

16 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

After having been on them on the M57 during the peak of the peak, I'd have to agree with this. They just suck up the whole crowd, it's amazing.

Speaking of which, have they run an XD40 on the M57 yet?

They have, in fact the XD40s have shown up on every route except for the M55, M20, and M12

Speaking of the M57 and crowds, every time one of those LFS sneaks onto the line (Presumably through an interline with the M72?), it's absolutely horrible... Back when the LFS were recently transferred to Quill I got on one of them at the 57 Street and 9 Ave stop and it was absolute hell. Bx12 SBS type crush loads... Granted a good 60% of the bus got off at 7 Avenue so for the passengers heading further east I doubt they could care less but those LFS really don't belong on the M57... If anything they'd do well on the M12, M8, or M22...

For what it's worth, how does the M50 do in terms of loads? I've never used that route in the rush.

Edited by Orion6025
grammar

4 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

got off at 7 Avenue so for the passengers heading further east I doubt they could care less but those LFS really don't belong on the M57... If anything they'd do well on the M12, M8, or M22...

With that logic they shouldn't be on some of those Jamaica or Gun Hill routes either. 

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

For what it's worth, how does the M50 do in terms of loads? I've never used that route in the rush.

Well in the AM it gets pretty good usage (at least from the West Side), usually there'll be a line of people at 10th Av and there will be a few people standing by 8th.

In the PM there's not as many people, and I'm pretty sure some people even use it as an alternative to the NY Waterway buses. They started shutting down Rockefeller Center every evening during December, so ridership probably tanks from that as well.

Though it probably used to get more usage because back when the M27 existed there used to be 3-4 min headway combined going east, but now they only run every 15 mins max (12 mins for west).

1 hour ago, Jdog14 said:

With that logic they shouldn't be on some of those Jamaica or Gun Hill routes either. 

Well it's obviously impossible to fix everywhere but you can at least try to fix the issue where possible instead of being a cynic

20 minutes ago, TrainFanInfinity said:

Well in the AM it gets pretty good usage (at least from the West Side), usually there'll be a line of people at 10th Av and there will be a few people standing by 8th.

In the PM there's not as many people, and I'm pretty sure some people even use it as an alternative to the NY Waterway buses. They started shutting down Rockefeller Center every evening during December, so ridership probably tanks from that as well.

Though it probably used to get more usage because back when the M27 existed there used to be 3-4 min headway combined going east, but now they only run every 15 mins max (12 mins for west).

Thanks

I think the Bx6 shouldn't have gotten SBS treatment tbh. Don't get me wrong, the bus is quick but there didn't seem to be enough ridership to warrant it. Once it's past Hunts Point Av, ridership tanks and then the B/O's tokyo drift it out along Food Center Drive lol. I think even the local's garner more ridership than the SBS does and that's something.