BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, trife86 said:

No

Alright, thanks....

------------------------------

Don't know it if was misinformation on dude's part or flat out lying to ole girl, but there were 2 b/o's conversing with one another last night (I won't disclose which route/depot) & the driver that was off duty (the male) stated verbatim to the driver on duty (the female) as part of the conversation "a flat tire goes down on your record as an accident, you know".....

smh....

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Is it true that a flat tire goes down on a b/o's record as an accident???

Can't win for losing, I swear....

It CAN in fact go down as an accident. 

IF, you struck an object such as the sidewalk causing the rim to bend and then in turn causing the air to leak out. So yeah depending on the circumstances, it can be considered an accident. 

4 hours ago, KingNas said:

IF, you struck an object such as the sidewalk causing the rim to bend and then in turn causing the air to leak out. So yeah depending on the circumstances, it can be considered an accident. 

So so. A bent wheel can happen without jumping a curb. Flat tire is only your issue if the sidewall is ripped due to the sidewalk or something. If something blew into the street or fell of a vehicle in front of the bus than gets run over that does damage than there would be no avoiding that .

Took the 7 shuttle between Main St and Mets-Willets Pt and honestly it was god awful. It was like they invented a new torture method. Halfway crossing the bridge it has to merge into one lane cause god-knows-wtf-they're doing with their truck parked in that position and even leading up to the bridge we had to sit through a good 6 light cycles. Traffic at Main St erupted from this and I definitely was not gonna put up with this shit on my way back. When we pulled into the Mets-Willets station, I look into the CS yard and I see so many of those XD60's and 40-footers just sitting there... Rly pisses me off. Why don't they just give the shuttle work to CS or bring in some damn artics? They had sm buses sitting in that yard. You can't be crying broke if you got perfectly good buses that would be much more efficient at transporting people but you'd rather have more people to pay out on the streets causing even more congestion. Main St was not pretty in the evening either... Traffic caused buses on several lines to have 5+ bunched up :(

22 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Took the 7 shuttle between Main St and Mets-Willets Pt and honestly it was god awful. It was like they invented a new torture method. Halfway crossing the bridge it has to merge into one lane cause god-knows-wtf-they're doing with their truck parked in that position and even leading up to the bridge we had to sit through a good 6 light cycles. Traffic at Main St erupted from this and I definitely was not gonna put up with this shit on my way back. When we pulled into the Mets-Willets station, I look into the CS yard and I see so many of those XD60's and 40-footers just sitting there... Rly pisses me off. Why don't they just give the shuttle work to CS or bring in some damn artics? They had sm buses sitting in that yard. You can't be crying broke if you got perfectly good buses that would be much more efficient at transporting people but you'd rather have more people to pay out on the streets causing even more congestion. Main St was not pretty in the evening either... Traffic caused buses on several lines to have 5+ bunched up :(

So you wanna add more buses to an already congested series of streets? Aight.

Edited by Jordan Ayinde

On 12/6/2018 at 11:17 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

Even with different nozzles, I know sone dumb dumbs who ruined their cars by pitting diesel in their combustion sedans lol

Not possible. Diesel and CNG pumps are “Dummy Proof”

You can’t put one in the other. Similar to how most modern diesel nossels and all high pressure diesel nossels are a bit too wide for gas tanks as well. 

On 12/7/2018 at 10:51 AM, KingNas said:

True. 

10 hours ago, East New York said:

Not possible. Diesel and CNG pumps are “Dummy Proof”

You can’t put one in the other. Similar to how most modern diesel nossels and all high pressure diesel nossels are a bit too wide for gas tanks as well. 

True. 

Maybe things have changed, but back in '09 my friend nearly ruined her engine by putting in diesel at a diesel pump. We share a mechanic who confirmed it and laughed his a** off about it. The nozzles are different sizes, but she was in a rush, smashed the nozzle in far enough, and it worked. 

If you google "put diesel in gas engine" there are enough horror stories on there to suggest it is still an issue. 

50 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Earlier I saw a Q53SBS on the service lane in Queens Blvd headed to the Rockaways. And I’m thinking over here, isn’t it rare to see a Rockaway Park bound Q53 on the Service lane on QB between Grand Avenue and Woodhaven or is it just me?

It happens sometimes later at night when there's not much traffic on the service road

Delays  Posted: 12/10/2018  4:57PM 

BM1, BM2, BM3, BM4, BXM18, M15, M15-SBS, M20, M55, QM7, QM8, SIM1, SIM1C, SIM2, SIM3, SIM3C, SIM4, SIM4X, SIM4C, SIM5, SIM5X, SIM6, SIM7, SIM10, SIM15, SIM30, SIM31, SIM32, SIM33, SIM34, SIM35, X27, X28, X37, and X38 buses are running with delays in both directions due to traffic in the area of the Hugh Carey Tunnel.

There's two things notably wrong here (but I may have missed more). They both deal with the same route.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

55 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

BM1, BM2, BM3, BM4, BXM18, M15, M15-SBS, M20, M55, QM7, QM8, SIM1, SIM1C, SIM2, SIM3, SIM3C, SIM4, SIM4X, SIM4C, SIM5, SIM5X, SIM6, SIM7, SIM10, SIM15, SIM30, SIM31, SIM32, SIM33, SIM34, SIM35, X27, X28, X37, and X38 buses are running with delays in both directions due to traffic in the area of the Hugh Carey Tunnel.

There's two things notably wrong here (but I may have missed more). They both deal with the same route.

1. The SIM5X doesn't exist anymore while the SIM9 does.

2. The SIM30 uses the Lincon Tunnel and doesn't run near the Battery Tunnel.

3. If the QM7 and QM8 are being delayed because of Lower Manhattan traffic, the QM11 and QM25 should be as well.

Edited by Lil 57

14 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The M20 & the M55 I could understand, but I'm not seeing why would the M15 be affected by tunnel traffic (or "traffic in the area of the Hugh Carey Tunnel").....

22 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

The traffic backs-up along water street. 

Towards Battery Place & the tunnel approach, yes, but in the opposite direction? I've never seen that during the PM rush...

What I'm questioning is the "in both directions" part.

All that's being done there is a compiling of all the routes that run in the general area....

Edited by B35 via Church

18 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Aren't the QM7 and QM8 peak direction, peak hours only service? 

3 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

Yes they are but they do the Downtown Loop, so they have to go through that mess. The Battery usually causes traffic to back up on Broadway which also impacts traffic coming around and going up Greenwich.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

28 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

In conjunction with my point about the M15, I was also going to mention that (peak direction only service for a lot of those exp. routes)....

May come across as nitpicky, IDC... AFAIC, they should've did without the both directions bit..... Just tell people there are delays.... Leave it up to the commuter to assume how bad & in what directions delays/backups are ongoing....

....the NYC commuter is used to doing that shit anyway :lol:

Edited by B35 via Church

On 12/9/2018 at 10:37 AM, QM1to6Ave said:

Maybe things have changed, but back in '09 my friend nearly ruined her engine by putting in diesel at a diesel pump. We share a mechanic who confirmed it and laughed his a** off about it. The nozzles are different sizes, but she was in a rush, smashed the nozzle in far enough, and it worked. 

If you google "put diesel in gas engine" there are enough horror stories on there to suggest it is still an issue. 

No nothing changed. Pay attention to what I said in my post. Most modern day diesel pumps. That means now. If the vast majority of stations are still, or the the pump is old then yes. You also have to remember that there are several regular cars that take diesel fuel as well, so I’m sure it still happens to this day. 

In the case here, we are referring to buses, CNG, and diesel. Not regular fueling stations where you may have the problem you mentioned. It’s just not possible at MTA or on any heavy duty buses for that matter. The 2 aren’t compatible. You can’t mess that up. 

On a note to those who use the B36, there's a temporary change in routing: To W 37 St at Surf Av, it turns right at W 15 St, left at Mermaid Av then uses W 23 St back to Surf Av. To Av. U is left on W 22 St and onto Mermaid Av until Stillwell Av.