Jump to content

Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

In the AM it's a mix of regular commuters and schoolkids. In the PM, it's just the regular commuters because the schoolkids travel earlier (and have some trippers to accommodate them).

Not every kid that uses those trippers, After School clubs, Etc... New Dorp HS doesn't have a tripper even though a lot of ND kids use the S57. They should have it run every 12 minutes in the AM. (Take the first few New Dorp S57's of the day and they always get SRO at Forest/Willowbrook) and every 15-20 minutes from 1:30-6:30 PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Earlier this morning, I was waiting for a Q53 bus. So I decide to Busfan a Q11 bus, which arrived at 7:00AM heading southbound at Penelope Avenue. In the middle of my footage the operator was about to start his bus, but opens his doors just when he’s about to leave, he tells me that “it’s against the law to take pictures of buses, you know that right”. I was about to counterargue with him saying that “no where in the Law, nor MTA rules does it state that you can not take pictures of trains and buses”  but instead, I just said “ok” because I didn’t want to put up with any BS and carried on with my day to not create any headaches. 

What sucks though is that I deleted the footage that I recorded on my camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Earlier this morning, I was waiting for a Q53 bus. So I decide to Busfan a Q11 bus, which arrived at 7:00AM heading southbound at Penelope Avenue. In the middle of my footage the operator was about to start his bus, but opens his doors just when he’s about to leave, he tells me that “it’s against the law to take pictures of buses, you know that right”. I was about to counterargue with him saying that “no where in the Law, nor MTA rules does it state that you can not take pictures of trains and buses”  but instead, I just said “ok” because I didn’t want to put up with any BS and carried on with my day to not create any headaches. 

What sucks though is that I deleted the footage that I recorded on my camera.

NEVER do that.....they can say what they want, but the fact is that most operators don't even know the rules that customers have to abide by......

If needed, always carry a copy of the rules.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

NEVER do that.....they can say what they want, but the fact is that most operators don't even know the rules that customers have to abide by......

If needed, always carry a copy of the rules.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm

Its funny how they're quick to say no filming to yall, but someone gets on the bus and doesn't pay, and they won't say or do shit. It's like pple look for others to try to bully or put in check, just to boost their ego. 

  • Like 1
  • LMAO! 2
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Its funny how they're quick to say no filming to yall, but someone gets on the bus and doesn't pay, and they won't say or do shit. It's like pple look for others to try to bully or put in check, just to boost their ego. 

On various routes in the Bronx (the borough where I live) I'd be seeing a bunch of thugs board through the back doors of buses and not pay their fares. If there are cameras on buses to track down fare beaters, why aren't they getting caught? That makes me sick to my stomach 😕

Edited by lara8710

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Its funny how they're quick to say no filming to yall, but someone gets on the bus and doesn't pay, and they won't say or do s**t. It's like pple look for others to try to bully or put in check, just to boost their ego. 

I would’ve cared about the fare jumpers more. But yeah, there has been a lot of incidents where bus drivers have gotten beaten up because of this. Hopefully they can get people to check in and see if people are paying or not. Even better, make them plainscolthes people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mine248 said:

I would’ve cared about the fare jumpers more. But yeah, there has been a lot of incidents where bus drivers have gotten beaten up because of this. Hopefully they can get people to check in and see if people are paying or not. Even better, make them plainscolthes people.

It would be a great idea if drivers would refuse to move once passengers are seen boarding through the back door, and resume only after they have paid their fares.

Edited by lara8710
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mine248 said:

I would’ve cared about the fare jumpers more. But yeah, there has been a lot of incidents where bus drivers have gotten beaten up because of this. Hopefully they can get people to check in and see if people are paying or not. Even better, make them plainscolthes people.

Yeah I understand that some drivers been assaulted, but it doesn't make sense for them to bitch about filming when there's literally no threat. Tourist take photos/videos of everything all day, but now it's a problem when your bus is targeted? Please...lemme be taking a photo and someone says something to me, got the wrong one. It be the dirty drivers who bitch because they don't want any of their bs to be caught on film. Do your job and you'll have nothing to worry about hiding. Worry about the guys getting on your bus walking pass you tough guy. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

On various routes in the Bronx (the borough where I live) I'd be seeing a bunch of thugs board through the back doors of buses and not pay their fares. If there are cameras on buses to track down fare beaters, why aren't they getting caught? That makes me sick to my stomach 😕

 

The cameras on the bus are only used when there is an incident. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

It would be a great idea if drivers would refuse to move once passengers are seen boarding through the back door, and resume only after they have paid their fares.

Some B/O's do this. Especially on express buses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Its funny how they're quick to say no filming to yall, but someone gets on the bus and doesn't pay, and they won't say or do shit. It's like pple look for others to try to bully or put in check, just to boost their ego. 

Chill out man it's not everyone that does it. Dont slam everyone for it.

  • LMAO! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, trife86 said:

Chill out man it's not everyone that does it. Dont slam everyone for it.

You're probably one of the B/Os I see chilling riding down 5th Avenue with some crazy bus signage up. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

NEVER do that.....they can say what they want, but the fact is that most operators don't even know the rules that customers have to abide by......

If needed, always carry a copy of the rules.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm

Thank you for giving me a link to get a copy of the Rules and Regulations, I was actually looking for that earlier today. Anyways, to clear things up, I deleted my footage by accident. When I realized that I could use it as evidence for something, it was too late. 

Anyways, I’ll just continue to mind my own business. And if that I see that B/O again (or any other MTA staff that tries to tell me that I’m not allowed to Rail/Busfan and such) and he tries to tell me the same thing, then I’ll make sure to be prepared for a counter-argument. Besides, as everyone else stated here, they should be more worried about fare beaters then people who are minding their own business.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You're probably one of the B/Os I see chilling riding down 5th Avenue with some crazy bus signage up. lol

Hah. That is a funny thought but no I try to stay far far away from express bus.

 

Although one sign I did like that i Think the NGs still have (code 9200 I think) just said " EARTH DAY 2013 MTA YOUR DAILY POLLUTION SUBSTITUTION"  it was ridiculous lol

I am not fast at all and probably one you would say is a filler and constantly late. But definitely not rude or one that Huff's and puffs going to the end of the line. 

Some stuff is kinda hard to believe lol.

  • LMAO! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, trife86 said:

Hah. That is a funny thought but no I try to stay far far away from express bus.

 

Although one sign I did like that i Think the NGs still have (code 9200 I think) just said " EARTH DAY 2013 MTA YOUR DAILY POLLUTION SUBSTITUTION"  it was ridiculous lol

I am not fast at all and probably one you would say is a filler and constantly late. But definitely not rude or one that Huff's and puffs going to the end of the line. 

Some stuff is kinda hard to believe lol.

As one guy likes to "suggest" to me... I can take the subway or the local bus instead of taking him to the end of the line... Only a suggestion... lol

  • LMAO! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

As one guy likes to "suggest" to me... I can take the subway or the local bus instead of taking him to the end of the line... Only a suggestion... lol

Hah yeah. I don't really understand it on express bus but I had people get on local bus like 2 stops before the end of the line and inform them I only got 2 stops left. But to say I'm not going to the end of the line better have a valid reason.

 

It's tough I know some customers are hard to work with, and I see how some drivers are hard to work with as well ( even as a driver I see co-workers being difficult even to each other let alone the public)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, trife86 said:

Hah yeah. I don't really understand it on express bus but I had people get on local bus like 2 stops before the end of the line and inform them I only got 2 stops left. But to say I'm not going to the end of the line better have a valid reason.

 

It's tough I know some customers are hard to work with, and I see how some drivers are hard to work with as well ( even as a driver I see co-workers being difficult even to each other let alone the public)

 

Oh yes... There is definitely drama between drivers. I have a few B/Os that I know. They can stand certain drivers! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Oh yes... There is definitely drama between drivers. I have a few B/Os that I know. They can stand certain drivers! lol

Yea but it's for no reason at all, they like to play games on the road and in turn it doesn't really hurt the other driver being we are paid till we get back to depot. It hurts everyone. If someone just hangs back let's another bus pick up the work, doesn't just effect the driver it has a big chain reaction, standing room busses followed by empty bypassing busses being other busses in the stand.

 

 

Edited by trife86
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On another note not sure why on express it's more of a issue ( most straight express runs pay more) while on local side there is quite a bit more teamwork and helping each other out. 

I can't comment about everyone but it's all broken all around lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, trife86 said:

On another note not sure why on express it's more of a issue ( most straight express runs pay more) while on local side there is quite a bit more teamwork and helping each other out. 

I can't comment about everyone but it's all broken all around lol 

I have faith in my contact getting express bus service turned around. We've spoken a few times via conference call and of course met in person in my last meeting.  He's new in the position, but not new at the (MTA) . Seems as if some heads are rolling out of at least one depot (I have another contact on the inside that knows the deal) and some promotions have occurred. My group is monitored and little by little the issues are being addressed.  They're totally systemic though. Most of the folks under him are quite competent and knowledgeable.  The guy running the show in the Bronx runs a tight ship, that's for sure. He's been out in Queens and Staten Island as well. Chatted with him for about 45 minutes as well. Very impressed.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I have faith in my contact getting express bus service turned around. We've spoken a few times via conference call and of course met in person in my last meeting.  He's new in the position, but not new at the (MTA) . Seems as if some heads are rolling out of at least one depot (I have another contact on the inside that knows the deal) and some promotions have occurred. My group is monitored and little by little the issues are being addressed.  They're totally systemic though. Most of the folks under him are quite competent and knowledgeable.  The guy running the show in the Bronx runs a tight ship, that's for sure. He's been out in Queens and Staten Island as well. Chatted with him for about 45 minutes as well. Very impressed.  

Are you a bus driver? After reading this post I can tell that it could be your occupation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lara8710 said:

Are you a bus driver? After reading this post I can tell that it could be your occupation.

No.  My uncle was for many years. Retired a few years ago while still in his 50s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No.  My uncle was for many years. Retired a few years ago while still in his 50s.

Good for him. What is your occupation BTW?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

Good for him. What is your occupation BTW?

I'm in management. I run a department as a project manager/coordinator, so I have a knack for running things.  I run hundreds of projects every year of all different sizes. That's why when I have people at the (MTA) telling me that my requests to have buses run on-time are essentially not reasonable, I say BS. They've been doing it in the last few weeks. Still some problems but much better than before.  Now they have to work on getting trips filled. Still lots of missing buses.  Staten Island won't be truly looked at until January, so the focus is really on the other boroughs, with an eye on the issues on Staten Island.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm in management. I run a department as a project manager/coordinator, so I have a knack for running things.  I run hundreds of projects every year of all different sizes. That's why when I have people at the (MTA) telling me that my requests to have buses run on-time are essentially not reasonable, I say BS. They've been doing it in the last few weeks. Still some problems but much better than before.  Now they have to work on getting trips filled. Still lots of missing buses.  Staten Island won't be truly looked at until January, so the focus is really on the other boroughs, with an eye on the issues on Staten Island.

You certainly have a point, and it makes me believe that creating a bus route is much easier said than done--a lesson I learned the hard way a long time ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.