BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

So I got on a local CP bus this morning just out of the terminal and told the driver his destination sign was stuck to "Emergency Call 911".  He probably accidentally hit the foot switch for it.  The driver tried resetting the sign, the foot switch, pressing some buttons on the fare box, and turning the bus on and off but couldn't reset the sign.  Even several passing buses that were deadheading stopped and gave some verbal instructions on what to do.  He tried a bunch of different destination options and putting the sign into "Not In Service" along with a few other button combinations the passing drivers recommended and still couldn't reset it.  

This begs the question...how is the operator supposed to reset the "Emergency Call 911" sign if it's stuck on the destination sign?

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Melbx15 said:

I think the MTA should & should have renumbered CNG 7685 since it’s clearly gone be in service for a little while 

Not for nothing: 

but it’s gonna be weird seeing these numbers ( 76**,77** & 78**) on the XD40’s and in Brooklyn because for half of my life they been on the CNG’s and mostly in the Bronx 

It's just numbers, shouldn't be too weird lol

A note and a question:

The B/9 westbound stop at East 13th Street and Avenue M is being skipped as the old NBC studios has been sold and the stop is right on line where the trucks will be entering and exiting the property. There is scaffolding on the Avenue M side of the street as the sidewalk is blocked off.

Has the eastbound stop on Avenue Z at East 18th Street by the post office dock been eliminated as even though it is listed on the stop list on the new buses? it seems it is being skipped. The stop remains in the westbound direction.  

29 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

So the 3:45 NB S57 is a no-show, makes me have to take big bags of stuff onto the S79/S89

No wonder why ridership is dropping, can't wait to pass my permit test in January and then pass my road test.

Update: The next S57 let at 4:30 PM. Meaning a 70 minute gap in S57 service.

Luckily I'm on 2885 on the S89 (still untrackable)

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Meaning a 70 minute gap in S57 service.

That's simply awful, I actually had to do a double take on that statistic. I'm surprised there hasn't been enough consistency over bus bunching and dispatching as of yet in this agency (on big and small routes). I've dealt with both issues more frequently from 3 years ago when I first started riding the bus network, yet little's changed. I guess the MTA loves to make it harder and harder to justify higher fares each year...smh

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Around 5:00 PM, yesterday this happened around 8:00 PM.

The (MTA) can’t even fill trips on the schedule. We stood at various locations today and just recorded when express buses came. The route #, bus# and arrival time and destination as necessary. They cannot consistently meet buses on the schedule. Tonight we know that the last QM1 never came and from BusTime, it looked like a few other QM1s were missing. The QM5 was a mess as well. Should’ve been four scheduled buses during the time we were there. Instead six came. The 07:03 was almost 20 minutes late, so two QM5s came within three minutes (7:22pm and then 7:25pm).

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The (MTA) can’t even fill trips on the schedule. We stood at various locations today and just recorded when express buses came. The route #, bus# and arrival time and destination as necessary. They cannot consistently meet buses on the schedule. Tonight we know that the last QM1 never came and from BusTime, it looked like a few other QM1s were missing. The QM5 was a mess as well. Should’ve been four scheduled buses during the time we were there. Instead six came. The 07:03 was almost 20 minutes late, so two QM5s came within three minutes (7:22pm and then 7:25pm).

Certainly NOT worth paying a premium fare to get a one-seat ride to Manhattan! But the subways, though cheaper, aren't better off either...

Edited by lara8710

14 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Remember that a majority of the express buses also deadhead from College Point.....via the LIE and QMT....and if both are f**ked with traffic(which is practically common Manhattan-bound), then you are bound to have a bunch of late buses and bunching.

If you stood on 34th between 1st & 2nd by the tunnel exits, or by 37th Street between 2nd & 3rd by the tunnel exits. You'd most likely see some of the causes.

Edited by Cait Sith

5 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Those Cuomo wrapped XD40s practically took over the B6, there all over that route like a roach infestation damn. At this rate I'd be surprised if a ride an RTS on the B6 ever again lol.

Theres 7 RTS on there now. You have to be willing to go out and wait for one. Weekends also arent the best time to catch a RTS from Ulmer. 

1 minute ago, Jdog14 said:

Theres 7 RTS on there now. You have to be willing to go out and wait for one. Weekends also arent the best time to catch a RTS from Ulmer. 

That reminds me, does Ulmer Park Depot have enough spare space for more buses?

Edited by lara8710