BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

17 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Maybe you can clue us in, because I'm not seeing much of anything that suggests that the B2 would be combined with a Bay Ridge av. bus route (or w/e other stretch of road such a route would take to get b/w Bay Ridge & Kings Hwy. (B)(Q)).... The B5 wasn't in the same ballpark as the B2, in terms of revenue mileage..... The creation of today's B82 had more to do with consolidation of service along Kings Hwy... A better example of what you think would happen with the B2 & this Bay Ridge av route or whatever, was the merging of the old Q45/Q47 (which formed today's Q47) - two routes with a mutual "midpoint" (74th st bus terminal) that the vast majority of the overall ridership on both routes were seeking travel to/from....

Absolutely. Rather than have two separate routes serving their own ridership bases, what I was suggesting was a single route serving multiple ridership bases. As I mentioned earlier, some buses from Kings Plaza could short time at the (B)(Q) station for riders who just need frequent service between those two destinations while buses continuing west towards Bay Ridge would run less frequently.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Bunch of bad ass little kids that ain’t got no business being out. The bus in question is 7676 out of East New York. This had to be along the B82 since this the bus is +selectbusservice. 

But honest to truth there needs to be a special lock so that unauthorized persons are not permitted to take a bus out for a joyride. 

52 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Bunch of bad ass little kids that ain’t got no business being out. The bus in question is 7676 out of East New York. This had to be along the B82 since this the bus is +selectbusservice. 

But honest to truth there needs to be a special lock so that unauthorized persons are not permitted to take a bus out for a joyride. 

They took the bus from the Herkimer Place Lot at the East New York Depot and drive it 1.5 miles to Conduit Blvd and Atlantic Avenue, all while B82 SBS service isn’t running.

This is exactly what I was concerned about after hearing about the bus in the Bronx that got stolen - Copycat criminals.

It's enough that there as many people stealing service in this city - Now MF-ers are going around stealing the actual goddamn bus....

Stupid shit.

==============

What I initially came in here to post was that, I got off a B46 about an hour ago... Rode it from WBP.... Anyway, when we got to Woodhull, there was a good-sized crowd waiting for the bus... Whatever... So I'm seated at the first pair of seating on the left side by the back door (legroom purposes.... bus was an XD40 btw), and there was a BUMRUSH of people (mix of older dudes [likely coming from the hospital], high school-to-college aged young dudes, a couple young broads) that all entered through the back door (I lost count after 33 people)... While a whopping total of ONE person boarded at the front and paid his fare....

When the "rush" was all over, the b/o got out of his seat and stood looking towards the back of the bus for a good 15 seconds; didn't say a word - With a facial expression as if to say, seriously now?! Really?? I'm looking at him, he eventually looks at me specifically as I'm shaking my head & throwing my hands up from my lap to about shoulder level.... I'm thinking to myself, great, now he's going to take the bus OOS (I was prepared to hoof it over to catch the B43, because I waited about 20 minutes at WBP for that B46, and only saw 1 bus heading in the opposite direction along the ride, at Lorimer).....

Before the fact, I was the only person sitting towards the back.... When we finally pulled out though, every seat was obviously taken, I'd guess about 8-10 people standing (couldn't really tell exactly, with people hovering over each other), with some of the chicks sitting on dudes' lap... Look towards the middle & the front of the bus though? 11 available seats..... Bizarre all the way around.

Not that this matters, but I couldn't tell you where the lion's share of em got off though, because the last thing I remember before I dozed off, was the bus making the right turn onto Malcolm X.... Woke up as the bus passed that Rite aid over there Midwood st <> Rutland rd....

On 12/28/2018 at 5:08 AM, B35 via Church said:

The MTA has a history of dicking around w/ the B2 & its service levels/span.... There's also a history surrounding the different online transit boards on whether it should be eliminated, combined/branched into the B100, or extended westward.... There is/was someone on FB that even wanted the B2 to run with the Q35 down to Rockaway Park.... I've been in enough discussions on & offline about the B2 & have came to the conclusion that the thing should, at minimum a] remain in existence, b] remain in Brooklyn 11182.gif, c] run no further west than Kings Hwy. on the Brighton line, d] left as a standalone route to be fused with nothing, and e] given at least 1 more BPH during the rush.... I've always gotten the sense that (more) people that reside along & around the B2 route b/w [Flatbush/Av S.] & [Ocean/Av R] would utilize the thing if the MTA wouldn't leave them with the scraps they call service..... I don't get the sense they don't want the service....

If we're to talk about extending its footprint, ehh, IDK, I suppose it would be to have it siphon riders from off the B3 on over to Bergen Beach (much like the B32's continually doing with the B62 up in Williamsburg).... I don't think the B2 should run into Mill Basin/Mill Island, whatever it's called nowadays, nor all the way to Bay Ridge.... Lord knows if I lived east of KP & needed the Brighton & to have the aforementioned come to pass, there's no way in f*** I would choose a route that crawls along Av. U over a route that travels via Av. R/S....

The more I thought about it, the more I don't really see an extended B2 westward doing much for the B9.... Not to say that there isn't a service gap b/w 60th & Bay Ridge Pkwy, however, I wouldn't address it with the B2...

On 12/28/2018 at 8:12 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I agree.  Everyone seems to feel the need to say oh it HAS to be extended. The route has been around for decades and I used it quite frequently back in the 90s when I lived in Southern Brooklyn. A friend of ours lived in Marine Park and I do remember it running not only frequently but it ran well in terms of it being reliable.

This may be beating a dead horse, but is there a reason why the B2 and B100 just twist and turn a block away from each other at all times? It was really annoying when I had to visit a friend in Marine Park, and I just missed a B100, and then just missed a B2 while walking the block over.

If one street is more reliable than the other just route both of them down the same street. It didn't seem like either path was particularly busy to the point where there should be two streets with okay bus service instead of one street with good bus service.

13 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

This may be beating a dead horse, but is there a reason why the B2 and B100 just twist and turn a block away from each other at all times? It was really annoying when I had to visit a friend in Marine Park, and I just missed a B100, and then just missed a B2 while walking the block over.

If one street is more reliable than the other just route both of them down the same street. It didn't seem like either path was particularly busy to the point where there should be two streets with okay bus service instead of one street with good bus service.

B2 is a NYCT route, while the B100 was a former PBL route (Command) - quite sure that had something to do with it.... I mean, while I can't recall how much older, I do know the B2 came before the B100....

It's not a matter of reliability (as if to say, either route is bogged down with traffic), it's an issue of how each of those routes serves Marine Park (routing-wise).... While the B100 is more direct (as it has to go on to serve Mill Basin), the B2 is more feasible for more of the neighborhood's residents... It's evident with how both of those routes are used w/i Marine Park.... Having both of those routes take on the same routing within Marine Park would be a disservice (for its residents) IMO....

I'd go as far as to say the B2 has been steadily made worse by the MTA over the years as an attempt to get everyone down there into taking the B100.... How is it said on here, "blank check", "blank check" *shrugs*......

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

This is exactly what I was concerned about after hearing about the bus in the Bronx that got stolen - Copycat criminals.

It's enough that there as many people stealing service in this city - Now MF-ers are going around stealing the actual goddamn bus....

Stupid shit.

==============

What I initially came in here to post was that, I got off a B46 about an hour ago... Rode it from WBP.... Anyway, when we got to Woodhull, there was a good-sized crowd waiting for the bus... Whatever... So I'm seated at the first pair of seating on the left side by the back door (legroom purposes.... bus was an XD40 btw), and there was a BUMRUSH of people (mix of older dudes [likely coming from the hospital], high school-to-college aged young dudes, a couple young broads) that all entered through the back door (I lost count after 33 people)... While a whopping total of ONE person boarded at the front and paid his fare....

When the "rush" was all over, the b/o got out of his seat and stood looking towards the back of the bus for a good 15 seconds; didn't say a word - With a facial expression as if to say, seriously now?! Really?? I'm looking at him, he eventually looks at me specifically as I'm shaking my head & throwing my hands up from my lap to about shoulder level.... I'm thinking to myself, great, now he's going to take the bus OOS (I was prepared to hoof it over to catch the B43, because I waited about 20 minutes at WBP for that B46, and only saw 1 bus heading in the opposite direction along the ride, at Lorimer).....

Before the fact, I was the only person sitting towards the back.... When we finally pulled out though, every seat was obviously taken, I'd guess about 8-10 people standing (couldn't really tell exactly, with people hovering over each other), with some of the chicks sitting on dudes' lap... Look towards the middle & the front of the bus though? 11 available seats..... Bizarre all the way around.

Not that this matters, but I couldn't tell you where the lion's share of em got off though, because the last thing I remember before I dozed off, was the bus making the right turn onto Malcolm X.... Woke up as the bus passed that Rite aid over there Midwood st <> Rutland rd....

This needs to stop. The goddam fare keeps going up because people don't pay their fare!!!!

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

This needs to stop. The goddam fare keeps going up because people don't pay their fare!!!!

Had to laugh at this simply for the fact that it reminded me of that guy that ran for mayor a few years ago, "THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH" that guy lol.

11 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I agree. Whenever I take the B41 at Flatbush/Nostrand if I leave my college at around 3:30 PM, I see a crowd of students and some adults wait to enter at the back door, while me and other passengers wait at the front door. The result: the bus gets crowded and no seats available at he back because they were taken by farebeaters. This is totally insane.

Another case: the Avenue M (Q) station after 2:45 PM. I went to High School at Murrow there and what I have seen personally is that once the last class ends, there is a crowd of students making their way up the stairs and some of them ask their friends to open the emergency door at the turnstiles that lead directly to the Manhattan-bound Platform (if you are unfamiliar with the area, it’s the entrance right in front of the Mountain Fruit Store on Avenue M). They do this and enter, and this causes a large crowd to enter through the gate as well, causing the platform to get extremely overcrowded. This is despite them having student MetroCard provided by the school for them to use. I feel like what’s going on is that since police is not around on subways and buses, those students (who are 16-18 years old, the age I was around at the time I’ve went to high school) have freedom to skip going through the turnstiles and fareboxes without getting caught. Little do they know is that they may get caught if they keep doing it. Multiple people I knew have done it during the 4 years I’ve taken the train from there, even my girlfriend and her siblings and friends at times, and I’ve told them time after time in a nice way to refrain from doing so.

This behavior at the station however has continued with newer students following suit, which i have seen when visiting the area with one of my friends to pick up her sister. Seems like nothing has changed since I graduated.

Another possible example of possible farebeating is at Kingsborough Community College, Brooklyn’s only Community College. On a February 2018 Thursday afternoon, I went to go pick up a friend there after his class ended. Shortly after meeting up, we returned to the bus stop to find a huge crowd of students waiting for the B1 (and this is despite Kingsborough being in a winter session schedule, which is usually not busy). Once that B1 bus pulled in and opened BOTH doors, all of the students (some of whom I’ve went to high school with and have seen farebeating) piled in through the front and back doors, with very few paying. I was one of those people who went through the back and not dipped my card. However, that was only because I did not want to risk separation from my friend if I have went to the front and paid, not because I didn’t feel like paying, which i wanted to do had the bus not been crowded.

Also on the subject of farebeating, there were some articles that came out a few weeks ago about how the farebeating is causing them millions of dollars in lost revenue. One article states that New Yorkers are emboldened to do so because the trains and buses are so unreliable. People don’t want to pay $2.75 for unreliable service. I wonder if that is the case and is the farebeating making service worse.

36 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I agree. Whenever I take the B41 at Flatbush/Nostrand if I leave my college at around 3:30 PM, I see a crowd of students and some adults wait to enter at the back door, while me and other passengers wait at the front door. The result: the bus gets crowded and no seats available at he back because they were taken by farebeaters. This is totally insane.

Another case: the Avenue M (Q) station after 2:45 PM. I went to High School at Murrow there and what I have seen personally is that once the last class ends, there is a crowd of students making their way up the stairs and some of them ask their friends to open the emergency door at the turnstiles that lead directly to the Manhattan-bound Platform (if you are unfamiliar with the area, it’s the entrance right in front of the Mountain Fruit Store on Avenue M). They do this and enter, and this causes a large crowd to enter through the gate as well, causing the platform to get extremely overcrowded. This is despite them having student MetroCard provided by the school for them to use. I feel like what’s going on is that since police is not around on subways and buses, those students (who are 16-18 years old, the age I was around at the time I’ve went to high school) have freedom to skip going through the turnstiles and fareboxes without getting caught. Little do they know is that they may get caught if they keep doing it. Multiple people I knew have done it during the 4 years I’ve taken the train from there, even my girlfriend and her siblings and friends at times, and I’ve told them time after time in a nice way to refrain from doing so.

This behavior at the station however has continued with newer students following suit, which i have seen when visiting the area with one of my friends to pick up her sister. Seems like nothing has changed since I graduated.

Another possible example of possible farebeating is at Kingsborough Community College, Brooklyn’s only Community College. On a February 2018 Thursday afternoon, I went to go pick up a friend there after his class ended. Shortly after meeting up, we returned to the bus stop to find a huge crowd of students waiting for the B1 (and this is despite Kingsborough being in a winter session schedule, which is usually not busy). Once that B1 bus pulled in and opened BOTH doors, all of the students (some of whom I’ve went to high school with and have seen farebeating) piled in through the front and back doors, with very few paying. I was one of those people who went through the back and not dipped my card. However, that was only because I did not want to risk separation from my friend if I have went to the front and paid, not because I didn’t feel like paying, which i wanted to do had the bus not been crowded.

Also on the subject of farebeating, there were some articles that came out a few weeks ago about how the farebeating is causing them millions of dollars in lost revenue. One article states that New Yorkers are emboldened to do so because the trains and buses are so unreliable. People don’t want to pay $2.75 for unreliable service. I wonder if that is the case and is the farebeating making service worse.

Sorry but what a BS excuse. You didn’t pay out of fear of being separated from your friend? Give me a break. The bus empties out once it gets to the subway. Ten minutes of separation certainly won’t kill you. There’s also that magic word called “excuse me” that seems to not exist anymore when wanting to move from one part of the bus to another.

58 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Blatant hypocrisy.

You should have told yourself "in a nice way to refrain from doing so" when you hopped the back of that B1.

19 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Sorry but what a BS excuse. You didn’t pay out of fear of being separated from your friend? Give me a break. The bus empties out once it gets to the subway. Ten minutes of separation certainly won’t kill you. There’s also that magic word called “excuse me” that seems to not exist anymore when wanting to move from one part of the bus to another.

Beat me to it.

Peer pressure didn't keep me from swiping my student metro @ Brighton Beach... Separation though, give me a break.... Then again, more often than not, I rolled dolo (stayed to myself) anyway.....

IDK how many times over the course of those 4 years I spent at Grady where kids used to go through the emergency exit door WITH THE POLICE STANDING RIGHT THERE after school let-out hrs.... Even when that MF-er wasn't there, I always swiped... I'm getting this card "freely", so I may as well use the thing... That was always my attitude when I was given those student passes/metrocards during the school year...

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

By farejumping, you’re helping with making the problem, not solving it. Shame. If you guys didn’t farejump, then the MTA would’ve been in better financial state. 

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

IMO you lost all credibility with this statement. If you were that worried about seperation maybe you should have arrainged to meet up somewhere. 

What had me CTFU was the added emphasis with which dude told his chick & her siblings; "I told them time after time...."
(never mind the fact that I can't fathom that going over too well with the chick - regardless if ole girl is a complete square or has the disrespectful disposition of an entitled brat)

....and then goin hop the back of the bus because he didn't wanna get isolated from his peers..

Sans the farebeating, what ppl. do on the RR's is probably the best way to go about alleviating what he's using as an excuse... Multiple parties from the same general crowd will enter a packed train at some station in different cars (because they all won't be able to fit together in the same car), then they'll call (or text) each other whilst on the train (while it's in motion or whatever), then they'll commence meeting each other accordingly ("we're in car number ____") either when the train gets less crowded, or when they arrive at their destined station....

There isn't all the separation anxiety in the world that's going to keep me from doing something I want to do - especially something that takes as little effort as putting a card in a damn machine..... If that person would've left you without any hesitation, then you should question if that was a "friend" to begin with....

Cut the crap... Dude wanted to go through the back because *err'body else wuz doin it*....

Edited by B35 via Church

On 12/29/2018 at 11:22 AM, Future ENY OP said:

My guess is that since the buses have GPS, the MTA figures they can just track buses the few times they get taken for joyrides. It doesn't seem like these buses are getting stolen and stripped for parts within an hour like with personal vehicles on the street. 

I farebeat one time when I was 15 years old. Had an undercover cop pull me to the side and was scared out my ass shitless. I didn’t get a ticket because I was a minor under 16 but I never did that ever again. I make sure I had enough to get where I was going. I feel that people just farebeat because it’s just so easy. I see so many people wearing all these expensive clothes and gear but yet can never budget out their own fare for the bus or subway. I get upset all the time when I see these people who farebeat all the time because everyone else has to suffer cuts and higher fares because of them. If anything we need to eagle team or police to ride these buses more and watch stations more often. 

Whether particular laws or rules are enforced comes from the top and that is both the elected and unelected officials who make the these decisions. Whatever they decide will have either a positive or negative influence on a person's actions.

Remember Bill Bratton and the "broken windows" philosophy and how it worked. What it did was to create in a person's mind that if they do something wrong, they will get punished for it. What it did was to put a scare in many people who may have thought about doing something (for example: farebeating) but the thought (and most likely certainty) of what the consequences were changed their mind. This was stated many times by our then elected officials including the mayor and our district attorneys who prosecuted these crimes. The message got through and the city saw a decrease in crime as when not only farebeating was prosecuted but many other things that have an effect on the quality  of life, it created an environment where people thought twice before doing something like it.

Today it is different as since our mayor and his friends in the New York City Council came into office, they came with a mindset that the "broken windows" theory does not work and therefore it must be changed completely. They want to pick and choose what laws are to be followed and thus the ingredients are there for a decline in the prosecution of what they consider "low level" crimes such as farebeating. When the public hears the elected officials stating that they will not prosecute them and say it publicly like Cyrus "White Shoes" Vance, the District Attorney of New York county (A/K/A Manhattan) and this is broadcast in the media and is supported by other elected officials either publicly or privately, then you have the makings of a major increase in farebeating. If  the crime is not going to be prosecuted then the perception in the public's mind, becomes just do it as there is no penalty as if it is not being enforced in Manhattan,  then the perception becomes the same policy will apply in the other boroughs as well. If you are in law enforcement or a transit worker, would you put your life on the line to stop farebeating when you know that management will not support you? 

4 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

If you are in law enforcement or a transit worker, would you put your life on the line to stop farebeating when you know that management will not support you? 

If I was a police officer or transit employee, of course I'd put my life on the line in the name of LAW, even if those offenses are only "minor" in the eyes of today's politicians. In all the various times I've encountered scumbags who asked me to open the service door for them and give them a freebie pass to the subway, I've either ignored them or said NO. The rule of thumb is is that there's no such thing as a free subway ride, END OF STORY. The law cares absolutely NOTHING about your personal problems whatsoever. Either you pay your fair share or walk your way to your destination.

Needless to say, if our public transportation system was free (which will never be given the huge size of our city) ridership would spike EXPONENTIALLY. So that means we'll have to put up with even more overcrowding at stations, on trains, and on buses, which would further slow down service and worsen the frequency and length of delays. You could be complaining about how our subways and buses might be right now, but just imagine how they'd be if they were free...a MILLION TIMES WORSE...

Words from me, a future NYPD auxiliary officer 👮

Edited by lara8710

1 minute ago, lara8710 said:

If I was a police officer or transit employee, of course I'd put my life on the line in the name of LAW, even if those offenses are only "minor" in the eyes of today's politicians. In all the various times I've encountered scumbags who asked me to open the service door for them and give them a freebie pass to the subway, I've either ignored them or said NO. The rule of thumb is is that there's no such thing as as free subway ride, END OF STORY. The law cares absolutely NOTHING about your personal problems whatsoever. Either you pay your fair share or walk your way to your destination.

Needless to say, if our public transportation system was free (which will never be given the huge size of our city) ridership would spike EXPONENTIALLY. So that means we'll have to put up with even more overcrowding at stations, on trains, and on buses, which would further slow down service and worsen the frequency and length of delays. You could be complaining about how our subways and buses might be right now, but just imagine how they'd be if they were free...a MILLION TIMES WORSE...

Words from me, a future NYPD auxiliary officer 👮

That sounds nice on paper, but let's keep it all the way real right now....

There's heroism & bravery..., and there's throwing your life away for 2 dollars & 75 cents...

I don't know you personally champ, but no dollar amount is worth your life.

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

That sounds nice on paper, but let's keep it all the way real right now....

There's heroism & bravery..., and there's throwing your life away for 2 dollars & 75 cents...

I don't know you personally champ, but no dollar amount is worth your life.

I'm simply telling my perspective on the issue, nothing else. I have nothing to hide either. For a guy like me who would be volunteering with NY's Finest sometime next summer (after training is finished), I need to set an example for myself by staying out of trouble, and that includes paying my fare whenever I ride the subways or buses.

Anyway, here's something else I wanted to discuss: the MTA's now-defunct proposal for a Q94 LTD bus route between the (7) in Flushing and Fordham Plaza in the Bronx. Aside from my curiosity as to why it never materialized, here's how I imagine the route if it already existed before the MTA took over the city's private bus companies:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1KjUz_nlx1nTaN4AbpGHipyZvgUkM1f_R&amp;ll=40.80663874377318%2C-73.85808945085711&amp;z=11

It would have been operated by Queens Surface under the QBx2 designation, complimeting the Q44 and QBx1 routes in Queens and the Bronx south of the Bruckner Expressway.

Edited by lara8710