BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

16 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Cuomo just announced the L train wont fully close down. So what do you guys think this means for the buses that were secured for the L train shutdown? 

Don't say anything yet. We still have a few months to see if this plan Cuomo put out is reversed and the shutdown continues.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Cuomo just announced the L train wont fully close down. So what do you guys think this means for the buses that were secured for the L train shutdown? 

The buses are replacing what we have now. The ones we have now were going to be held onto then when all is said and done, retired...

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Cuomo throws a monkey wrench 🔧 on the (L) shuttle. Breaking news as of 12:30 PM today. Hopefully @East New York@The Realcan enlighten us with some updates soon.  

However, what a way to start 2019! Happy New Year to all.  

All that time to redo 14th St is now going in the trash. Imagine having to repaint and take out all those SBS machines again.

8 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Currently on 7476 (XD40) on the Q53 (!) That has the announcements and screen. Is this a loaner from another depot? Or is there an XD60 shortage

There's no other depot in MTA Bus with XD40s...it could be a shortage, extra bus, or maybe even interline (doubt that tho)..

So I was onboard 5762 doing the Bx22 s/b and the wheelchair lost power to the bus. We encountered two passengers on the route and each time the driver would get off and explain to the customer that he couldn't pick them up cause the lift wasn't working and showed them the card you fill out for faulty buses. They should retire the D60HF's if their lift is broken because that's pretty unfair to tell the passenger to keep waiting for the next bus. But he also told me stories of where rookies wouldn't pick up wheelchair pax by telling them the lift wasn't working.  One such instance where the rookie was caught was a rookie that seemingly always had a broken lift, his superintendent friend dressed up as a wheelchair passenger and was trying to get picked up. The driver used the same bs excuse so the superintendent drove down the road a few stops ahead and flashed his badge for the driver's keys to test the wheelchair and well, let's say that driver didn't last long after that...

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

So I was onboard 5762 doing the Bx22 s/b and the wheelchair lost power to the bus. We encountered two passengers on the route and each time the driver would get off and explain to the customer that he couldn't pick them up cause the lift wasn't working and showed them the card you fill out for faulty buses. They should retire the D60HF's if their lift is broken because that's pretty unfair to tell the passenger to keep waiting for the next bus. But he also told me stories of where rookies wouldn't pick up wheelchair pax by telling them the lift wasn't working.  One such instance where the rookie was caught was a rookie that seemingly always had a broken lift, his superintendent friend dressed up as a wheelchair passenger and was trying to get picked up. The driver used the same bs excuse so the superintendent drove down the road a few stops ahead and flashed his badge for the driver's keys to test the wheelchair and well, let's say that driver didn't last long after that...

I remember when KB first got the NGs the driver told a W/C rider the ramp wasn't working. Seriously doubt the W/C ramp was broke on a damn near new bus at the time...

So I’m just speculating here but I feel that if this L train shutdown is averted to the nights and weekend only option this will happen with the shuttle buses. 

The M14sbs will still happen but it will be altered to serve the lower east side residents. 

The L shuttle buses will be cancelled or consolidated into two shuttle bus routes for overnight and weekends. 

The x amount of buses needed for the shuttles will be cut down significantly and assigned to depots for regular service. 

Fast tracked of buses that To be retired before the year is out. 

Again this is speculation and nothing factual just fantasy. 

14 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

That's a Yukon thing, very unprofessional depot. The other depots on S.I don't even come close. 

Not for nothing, but numbers is just a cosmetic thing. I don't see how that correlates into them being "unprofessional". Things happen that could have caused those decals to slip off.

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Not for nothing, but numbers is just a cosmetic thing. I don't see how that correlates into them being "unprofessional". Things happen that could have caused those decals to slip off.

I think he’s referring to photos like this and others where the depot uses duct tape to hold buses together. The bus numbers are a cosmetic thing, but maintenance is a problem at that depot and has been for many years.

49564151_10215914235121509_1222452837535

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I think he’s referring to photos like this and others where the depot uses duct tape to hold buses together. The bus numbers are a cosmetic thing, but maintenance is a problem at that depot and has been for many years.

49564151_10215914235121509_1222452837535

Reminds me of NJ Transit. I read that many of their buses and rail stations are not only filthy, but poorly maintained. I really HATE the fact that they overcharge for tickets to NY--why? 😕

Edited by lara8710

10 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

I'm saying unprofessional as they don't do things to perfection. It's like just do it to do it to get it done. Take pride in your equipment, jeez. 

Poor decals on buses, looks like children put them together. 

Back in the days, they used to cut the wires on the Orion Vs back doors, so they wouldn't stay open. 

Once something happens to a bus, don't expect it to look the same afterwards. 

All because of that "It's just numbers, who the hell cares" attitude. 

40 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

Reminds me of NJ Transit. I read that many of their buses and rail stations are not only filthy, but poorly maintained. I really HATE the fact that they overcharge for tickets to NY--why? 😕

Lack of competition... I used to fly into Newark because airfare is around $20 cheaper than JFK or LGA, but now that NJT charges so much I might as well fly to LGA... at least I will only need to pay $6 when the PATH gets extended to EWR.

13 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I remember when KB first got the NGs the driver told a W/C rider the ramp wasn't working. Seriously doubt the W/C ramp was broke on a damn near new bus at the time...

NG lifts suck btw, but they do have a manual operation if the power does not work.

49 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I'm saying unprofessional as they don't do things to perfection. It's like just do it to do it to get it done. Take pride in your equipment, jeez. 

Back in the days, they used to cut the wires on the Orion Vs back doors, so they wouldn't stay open. 

I spoke with someone at the (MTA) about this the other day and we both agreed that it's a managerial problem, and it won't change until there's a huge shakeup on Staten Island. When that will happen is anyone's guess. A big part of the problem is express bus service is a MUST there. There is NO subway at all and the SIR only serves a part of the island, so it's the express bus or a long bus to the ferry to the subway ride for most, and everyone knows this, so this is why the attitude can fester the way that it has.  The people running the show have power and any time that anyone tries to step in and make change they face push back (to put it lightly without going into details).  The B/Os aren't going to say anything, but I'm sure some of them know the deal out of depots like Yukon.  Cait can talk to the cows come home about how it isn't a big deal.  People on the inside know what goes on on the island. It's a problem and a big one and the bus numbers are just the tip of the iceberg. Maintenance remains horrendous overall.  No other way to put it...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

But that's just it....its just numbers lol. You should know by now that things won't look the same at any depot.

Edited by Cait Sith