BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG I LOVED THOSE BUSES TOO!!! I WAS SO PISSED when they took them off the Q44, my home line. Gave us some subpar Allison XD60's I'm gonna be quite honest, they're just okay IMO but man those novas. Why the MTA take em away, I don't care if you giving us some high-tech blue and yellow shit, gimme the NOVAs

3 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

This thought just occurred to me. I've never seen an MCI or express bus at an CMF before LOL

I've seen one at ENY during the summer, 22xx. (cant remember the number)

2 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Is 145 (ex-7685) still trackable? 

Last time i tried to track it, Bustime gave 2 7685's across the bronx. Impossible to know which is which

7 minutes ago, Train92 said:

I've seen one at ENY during the summer, 22xx. (cant remember the number)

Last time i tried to track it, Bustime gave 2 7685's across the bronx. Impossible to know which is which

3 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

That probably explains why I kept seeing it on both the Bx11 and Bx32 simultaneously lmao

Yeah, there's two 7685s in the tracking system. It appears one on route (while the other disappears), and then it switches. To my luck, I always end up catching the Xcelsior one.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

10 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Nah the best sounding Nova's in the fleet are the 1200s, followed by the 2018s. The other ones in between are nothing to write home about and are just bland.

Okay, best sounding I agree are the 1200s but the 2018s barely make noise. They are designed to be quieter. The 1200s are incredibly weak from a driving standpoint so I think these 2012's are that perfect in between. I'll really just take any nova tbh but new flyer is meh, I see stuff falling apart and most of it is cosmetic stuff but I've seen multiple compartments of the bus which are supposed to be locked come loose. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyerFan said:

I always found the 2015-2016 ZF XD60s to sound pretty nice with the HVAC on.

Yes, those buses are up there too, but I haven't seen any recent on board videos recently. I'm sure they have tons of sound effects too. 

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Nah the best sounding Nova's in the fleet are the 1200s, followed by the 2018s. The other ones in between are nothing to write home about and are just bland.

The 2018s?? THOSE sound bland. No type of sound effects. I mean there's like no videos of them hauling on YouTube. It's like no one does on board videos anymore. From the videos I've seen, they sound sluggish. I'll give them credit, that from the outside, with the fans going off, they sound pretty good. 

2 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

OMG I LOVED THOSE BUSES TOO!!! I WAS SO PISSED when they took them off the Q44, my home line. Gave us some subpar Allison XD60's I'm gonna be quite honest, they're just okay IMO but man those novas. Why the MTA take em away, I don't care if you giving us some high-tech blue and yellow shit, gimme the NOVAs

Honestly I agree lmaoo. I love Xcelsiors, but if I rode the Q44, I would prefer THOSE Carrier Novas. And they had the TV screens. Can't wait till those buses get repainted and upgraded with WiFi and USB ports. 

1 minute ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Yes, those buses are up there too, but I haven't seen any recent on board videos recently. I'm sure they have tons of sound effects too. 

The 2018s?? THOSE sound bland. No type of sound effects. I mean there's like no videos of them hauling on YouTube. It's like no one does on board videos anymore. From the videos I've seen, they sound sluggish. I'll give them credit, that from the outside, with the fans going off, they sound pretty good. 

Honestly I agree lmaoo. I love Xcelsiors, but if I rode the Q44, I would prefer THOSE Carrier Novas. And they had the TV screens. Can't wait till those buses get repainted and upgraded with WiFi and USB ports. 

The MTA bus XD60s dont have any sound effects really. The 2018 Novas are far from slow, they ops just dont haul ass (mainly the M34 and M86 ones are slow)

As far as usb ports they wont bother. 

51 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

The MTA bus XD60s dont have any sound effects really. The 2018 Novas are far from slow, they ops just dont haul ass (mainly the M34 and M86 ones are slow)

Really? Well now that I think about it, those buses are about half way through their life cycles. 

3 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Really? Well now that I think about it, those buses are about half way through their life cycles. 

From 2011 and up the only ones that have effects are the 4800s, the 52-53 and some C40s (in my experiences of late)..

51 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

15 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

From 2011 and up the only ones that have effects are the 4800s, the 52-53 and some C40s (in my experiences of late)..

Ok I'm mixing the difference between effects and broken in. I'm referring to broken in; loud engine/transmission, roaring fans, hard gear shifts, air leaks. 

The 4800s, the ex Casey Stengel 5900s. Most C40s, especially SC and WF batch and the Orion 7000s are my top buses. The MTA Bus XD60s and the 2016 Nova LFS are also up there, I'm just giving them a few more years to break in. 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I can't find a video of one of them making this noise, but the last few times I rode the 2018s they made this loud kind of whistling/roaring/ringing noise when they accelerated and it sounds fantastic when you're sitting in the back of the bus. I believe one of them was 5489 on the M23 back in November but that's off the top of my head.

7 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

This thought just occurred to me. I've never seen an MCI or express bus at an CMF before LOL

Pretty sure you haven't been to a CMF anyway....🤣(I'm kidding).

They're at CMFs and vendors every now and then.

4 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Nope.....I very, very much disagree some of this.

Best sounding Nova LFSs by far are not only the 1200s(even though they are grossly overrated), but the 8000-8089 batch as well, especially some of the recently reprogrammed Allison units. The 5700s-5900s and 5300s only sounded good when they were new, and the 2018 batch has yet to break in like the rest of the LFS fleet.

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

It's a little early to be worrying about sounds(you also want too much sound effects too🤣)....since those are still pretty new. The MTA Bus XD60s didn't have any sound effects when they were new....and they're getting them slowly, but surely.

Here's a video of 5447 hauling ass on the M60.

Edited by Cait Sith

31 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Nope.....I very, very much disagree some of this.

Best sounding Nova LFSs by far are not only the 1200s(even though they are grossly overrated), but the 8000-8089 batch as well, especially some of the recently reprogrammed Allison units. The 5700s-5900s and 5300s only sounded good when they were new, and the 2018 batch has yet to break in like the rest of the LFS fleet.

I was just talking about the artics in that post above and I absolutely agree with you about the 8000-8089 batch.

4 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I really liked those 2010 LFSAs. They’re very futuristic sounding and felt appropriate (back in those days) for the SBS routes. Nowadays, they still are good, but I kinda felt like the screens on the M15 ruined part of the sounds. 

Edited by mine248
Missing word

24 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

@Cait Sith @Around the Horn

Cmon now...this video still won't change ya minds about best sounding LFS artics? 

Nope....that compressor is annoying. The 2018s have it too. The TK HVAC units are better in that regard.

Even though this one doesn't have it on....these are the best LFS Artic I've ever been on.

Edited by Cait Sith