BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

3 hours ago, TransitMan0251 said:

6430 is at LGA for an axle swap then it will be returned back to Eastchester scrap.

Bruh. Do they really need the parts that badly? That they’re willing to drive/tow the bus down to LGA and swap it? Seems like a lotta work. Why don’t they just start scrapping the bus and someone can just take the axle down to LGA?

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I've been quietly lurking on the forums since I've gotten back to the city but Main St Service was an absolute shit show today and I kinda wanna vent about it.

I was unfortunate enough to have to make two trips during the manhole fire between Franklin and Maple. For my first trip, the bus got stuck in traffic for a long time until Franklin Ave. Thanks to a supervisor I was able to get off and just walk to my destination. For my second trip, a Q20 N/B driver refused to make any stops on Kissena until Sanford Av which kinda pissed me off because I was hoping to be able to walk back from one of the Kissena stops. After I walked back to Main St I saw a Q20 flying southbound. The bus got to Maple Ave and then realized it f**ked up. It stood there for a couple of minutes and it went straight through the closed-off road followed by a bunch of cars. The BO had to explain to an NYPD officer on the other side why they choose to drive through the closed-off road. (As well as the cars who followed.) I'm pretty sure the bus driver just started their shift at Main and 39th and had no clue that there was a detour in effect. I got some pics and vids but I'll refrain from posting them as to not get BO in trouble. (If they aren't in trouble already.) 

What's the deal with the bus bunching on the Q65? All hours of the day and night, I'll see 2 buses running right behind each other, and then a 20 minute gap, then 2 more buses at the same time!

Is this some sort of strange intentional leader-follower set up? Neither bus will be even close to full, so why have these huge service gaps?

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What's the deal with the bus bunching on the Q65? All hours of the day and night, I'll see 2 buses running right behind each other, and then a 20 minute gap, then 2 more buses at the same time!

Is this some sort of strange intentional leader-follower set up? Neither bus will be even close to full, so why have these huge service gaps?

I wish I knew why it seems like. I think it’s a College Point depot thing because it’s been happening for years on several of the routes. The Q25 does the same exact thing and then there could be a 20-30 minute gap for the next bus. If they were smart they would have one of the buses fill in the gap by departing 10 minutes later. 

24 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

I once found out that Williamsburg Bridge Plaza still has some capacity for more buses. Would it be ideal for another route to serve the terminal? If so, where would it go and what streets would it serve?

WBP technically doesn’t have room.  What route did you have in mind?  and what changes would you take based on the current configuration at WBP? 

13 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

WBP technically doesn’t have room.  What route did you have in mind?  and what changes would you take based on the current configuration at WBP? 

One of my ideas was extending the B67 to the terminal on weekdays where passengers can connect with the (J)(M)(Z) at Marcy Avenue. Another idea I had in mind is a new route to the Forest Hills (E)(F)(M)(R) station via Ridgewood, which are neighborhoods poorly connected by public transportation (unless you count the circuitous (M) train and Q38 bus, the latter which doesn't even serve Ridgewood).

Edited by lara8710

32 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

So there are 6 q58 buses all heading north between queens blvd and corona avenue right now... next bus is approach junction blvd, then the next one is all the way up in flushing... Fantastic service those commuters have.

Hahahaha. I’ll tell you one thing. Grand Avenue does excellent with the B38 and that’s it. Their practice until they fully artic the line. 

4 hours ago, lara8710 said:

I once found out that Williamsburg Bridge Plaza still has some capacity for more buses. Would it be ideal for another route to serve the terminal? If so, where would it go and what streets would it serve?

I would send the B67 there during the day, if there was capacity for it.

4 hours ago, lara8710 said:

As much as I believe that the B69 should run to Williamsburg (with the B67 reverted to terminating at Sands/Jay full time), there's no capacity for more routes inside WBP....

- The Q59 was kicked out of there & the B32 doesn't even drop pax. off at any of the lanes inside WBP...

- You have B46's sometimes making pickups in the same lane as the B44, not even on the curbside for pete's sake.... This happens when there's a B46 occupying the B46 lane that's set to depart sometime later than the B46 in the B44 lane.... In other words, if there's a B44 also on layover in that lane, passengers are boarding on the roadway between buses....

- And if that isn't enough, they got the B24 & the B60 sharing a lane, and they got the Q54 & the B39 sharing a lane....

If all of that still sounds like an ideal situation for some other route to be extended inside WBP, I got a gorilla for sale....

5 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

is there a new run om the Bx22? I always see a NG on the Bx22 now and that run specifically. It starts at Pelham Pkwy and makes it’s way down to Castle Hill and the return trip goes to Fordham Ctr. I’m not sure where it goes after that, maybe interline with the 34?

Could be a school tripper? The Bx40 (I think it's the 40, but I may be getting it mixed up with the 42) has a similar thing for its school tripper starting on Harding Avenue (Well, rather the waterfront avenue just south of Harding Ave)...

7 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Could be a school tripper? The Bx40 (I think it's the 40, but I may be getting it mixed up with the 42) has a similar thing for its school tripper starting on Harding Avenue (Well, rather the waterfront avenue just south of Harding Ave)...

LOL definitely not. It's really early in the morning. I forgot to mention that part. Whoops...

4 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

There's a Nova LFS on the S79 right now! What an pleasent surprise! 😄 I was gonna take the SIM4C back I hopes it would be an MCI but then the LFS 79 showed up😃

2 actually. (One's untrackable)

I saw it too at the ETC. Non wrapped buses tend to show up on the S79 often. I like how they put the blue signs on them.

Edited by Lil 57